HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bryan Murray May Be Forced To Make A Deal? (If Trends Continue)

Old
11-20-2011, 10:14 AM
TSA0402

vCash: 500
Hasn't Murray learned his lesson already? This is not the time to be giving away draft picks and prospects.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Hasn't Murray learned his lesson already? This is not the time to be giving away draft picks and prospects.
Really?

I mean this is a COMPLETELY different situation than the Senators have EVER been in as it relates to rebuilding.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Typical HF poster reaction. Murray hasn't done anything yet, has not said he WILL do anything, matter of fact the only thing he said was he would improve the team if he could. Pretty much what any GM will say. And yet, in your mind, he has already decided to ship out our top prospects and picks for short term gains. I don't think Murray has any lessons to learn from you. You, however, could learn a few things from him.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:25 AM
HSF

if he wants to trade a draft pick for a young asset like Turris or Brassard then i say go for it

something like the Rundblad trade is fine too.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:02 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Really?

I mean this is a COMPLETELY different situation than the Senators have EVER been in as it relates to rebuilding.
Rebuilding status is irrelevant on a playoff run. Either your a contender or a pretender. Its not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
Typical HF poster reaction. Murray hasn't done anything yet, has not said he WILL do anything, matter of fact the only thing he said was he would improve the team if he could. Pretty much what any GM will say. And yet, in your mind, he has already decided to ship out our top prospects and picks for short term gains. I don't think Murray has any lessons to learn from you. You, however, could learn a few things from him.
Thats quite amusing how you can go into my mind like that and tell me that I've determined something I wasn't even thinking about.

Again.. where did I say that he was going to do this. I said if the rumour was true, its a bad idea.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Rebuilding status is irrelevant on a playoff run. Either your a contender or a pretender. Its not rocket science.

Thats quite amusing how you can go into my mind like that and tell me that I've determined something I wasn't even thinking about.

Again.. where did I say that he was going to do this. I said if the rumour was true, its a bad idea.
Where did you say that?

You may have meant that, but your tone came off like "Oh great, Murray is going to ruin us again "

All Murray said was this

Quote:
"So I'm a little reluctant to give up something's that going to be good in the future.

"But it comes down to the individual available, the discussions that take place and where we realistically think we are at the time."
This is basically the stance Lombardi took with Brayden Schenn, and then Mike Richards became available. Not saying Richards makes perfect sense for us....but there are other players that could and we may think giving up a prospect or two for a 24 year old star player would work. It's not to be expected though.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:29 AM
True Story

Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Way too much for Brassard, a guy who can barely outproduce Foligno... and only when he's riding shotgun with Rick Nash.

How is Turris a guaranteed solution or a solution for this season?
Turris may not be the 'solution', if you mean by 'solution' a player that puts the Sens into the playoffs. However if the Sens have an opportunity for Turris, he definitely fits into the rebuild better than players like Brassard.

If the Sens produce at or close to the current pace they will have around 85 - 90 ponts. I really don't see selling off the future for as few as two home playoff dates, it just doesn't make sense long term.

(Yes I know anything can happen, but realistically this team isn't ready to compete with the top eschelon of teams in the East yet.)

Should this team make the playoffs, contrary to what Panzeri says, they are still in rebuild mode. What it would mean is the rebuild is off to an excellent start, but still just the start.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 11-20-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Where did you say that?

You may have meant that, but your tone came off like "Oh great, Murray is going to ruin us again "

All Murray said was this

This is basically the stance Lombardi took with Brayden Schenn, and then Mike Richards became available. Not saying Richards makes perfect sense for us....but there are other players that could and we may think giving up a prospect or two for a 24 year old star player would work. It's not to be expected though.
LA and Ottawa are in a different position at this time, and expectations for the Kings are playoffs and make a legitmate challenge.

While Richards has played well, that trade won't be considered a success in LA unless the Kings go deep in the playoffs.

Old
11-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
LA and Ottawa are in a different position at this time, and expectations for the Kings are playoffs and make a legitmate challenge.

While Richards has played well, that trade won't be considered a success in LA unless the Kings go deep in the playoffs.
Yeah I wasn't comparing the situations at all.

Lombardi had no interest in trading Schenn, but then randomly Richards became available.

Murray is reluctant to give up pieces that will be good in the future, but it all depends on the individuals that come available and whether it makes sense or not.

Old
11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
This is where Melnyk comes in......
We're going all the way!

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yeah I wasn't comparing the situations at all.

Lombardi had no interest in trading Schenn, but then randomly Richards became available.

Murray is reluctant to give up pieces that will be good in the future, but it all depends on the individuals that come available and whether it makes sense or not.
I believe Lombardi was willing to move Schenn, he just wasn't getting what he wanted as a return until Richards. LA needed more depth at center, Richards filled that bill perfectly.

In the case of Ottawa, there is no doubt the team could use a second line center. But with Regin's return and kids like Da Costa and Zibanejad what is the point in giving up much to get one, when it is a temporary move?

Murray will probably stand pat this year, unless a GM makes an offer that is just impossible to turn down.

Old
11-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Minister of Offence

Same thing I'm thinking.

Old
11-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Quote:

Quote:

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:46 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
After reading all of this, I would rather just be patient and keep with the players we currently have. Chicago added some pieces during their Stanley Cup run, but didn't add too much the season before when they made the playoffs. Chicago's team was mostly drafted players, as was Pitts, sans a few.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:13 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

The GM's job is to improve the team & organization whenever he can. The problem may be that although Murray may want to make a trade the players he would like to move do not have much value right now & may not until the trade deadline. I will be amazed if they keep eight defencemen on the roster, it's likely Rundblad will be sent to Bingo for some seasoning when Carkner returns. Unfortunately for Lee he doesn't have the value that Carkner has & it's likely I think he sits when Carkner returns.

Kuba is a UFA at the end of the season & will not be re-signed but unless some team wants him Ottawa is stuck until the trade deadline when he might have more value. Carkner has value but I doubt Murray wants to trade him unless he is given a deal he can't refuse even though Carkner is also a UFA. At the trade deadline I think the following players could get traded Kuba, Konopka, Winchester, Auld & maybe Lee or Weircioch in a package. I think Ottawa has the depth to replace any of those guys.

If Turris is not re-signed by Phoenix before Dec 1 then I think he will be out of the mix until the draft where Murray might make another attempt to trade for him. I would expect that Murray would make another pitch for Turris if he is re-signed by Phoenix as a sign & trade. It will be interesting to see what Murray is prepared to give up for him.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:22 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
The GM's job is to improve the team & organization whenever he can. The problem may be that although Murray may want to make a trade the players he would like to move do not have much value right now & may not until the trade deadline. I will be amazed if they keep eight defencemen on the roster, it's likely Rundblad will be sent to Bingo for some seasoning when Carkner returns. Unfortunately for Lee he doesn't have the value that Carkner has & it's likely I think he sits when Carkner returns.

Kuba is a UFA at the end of the season & will not be re-signed but unless some team wants him Ottawa is stuck until the trade deadline when he might have more value. Carkner has value but I doubt Murray wants to trade him unless he is given a deal he can't refuse even though Carkner is also a UFA. At the trade deadline I think the following players could get traded Kuba, Konopka, Winchester, Auld & maybe Lee or Weircioch in a package. I think Ottawa has the depth to replace any of those guys.

If Turris is not re-signed by Phoenix before Dec 1 then I think he will be out of the mix until the draft where Murray might make another attempt to trade for him. I would expect that Murray would make another pitch for Turris if he is re-signed by Phoenix as a sign & trade. It will be interesting to see what Murray is prepared to give up for him.
Any of you made the link with Murray's "deadline" to Filatov? We will talk again in two weeks which brings it very close to December 1st - Turris' deadline.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:31 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Any of you made the link with Murray's "deadline" to Filatov? We will talk again in two weeks which brings it very close to December 1st - Turris' deadline.
Some have, I have posted twice I think a deal that would include a Turris & Lee for Filatov but most don't think it would happen. MOO I believe doesn't think Phoenix needs Filatov, I don't know it seems like a fair deal to me but who knows. I guess the other option for Murray may have to be either other prospects or more likely a high pick (1st or 2nd plus a prospect). Not sure that Murray wants to give up any picks when he is rebuilding. I hope that Turris gets a sign & trade but I'm not so sure he will sign.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I don't believe there is any link.

The reason I believe this, Murray isn't going to trade anyone on the current roster for Turris, though he might like to.

The players Phoenix would want, Murray won't be giving up, therefore a Turris move would involve prospects and/or picks if Ottawa is involved.

Old
11-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Some have, I have posted twice I think a deal that would include a Turris & Lee for Filatov but most don't think it would happen. MOO I believe doesn't think Phoenix needs Filatov, I don't know it seems like a fair deal to me but who knows. I guess the other option for Murray may have to be either other prospects or more likely a high pick (1st or 2nd plus a prospect). Not sure that Murray wants to give up any picks when he is rebuilding. I hope that Turris gets a sign & trade but I'm not so sure he will sign.
Filatov+Lee+ our 2nd ''should'' get it done imo. Not saying it will happen but....

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Foligno-Turris-Alfie
Butler-Regin-Neil
Daugavins-Smith-Condra

.......I could dig that

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Well he either signs this year by Dec. 1st, waits for next year and hopes for a qualifying offer (which Phoenix could match) or heads to Europe or Russia until he qualifies for UFA status (translated - NHL career over).

Phoenix holds all the cards, specially with Bettman owning the team. If Phoenix was to be sold, then a new owner might bring the impasse to a conclusion quickly.

I really think the kid is getting bad advice.

Old
11-20-2011, 01:43 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I don't believe there is any link.

The reason I believe this, Murray isn't going to trade anyone on the current roster for Turris, though he might like to.

The players Phoenix would want, Murray won't be giving up, therefore a Turris move would involve prospects and/or picks if Ottawa is involved.
You`re right, Filatov is not on the current roster. Filatov is still a prospect as well.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:

As others have pointed out...NO YOU DID NOT! You wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402
Nary a mention of "if it's true". And I can't get into someone's mind to see how it's working if they don't have one that's working right evidenced by someone writing they said something they never did. You may have "said" it, but nobody can "hear" you here, we have to go by what you "write".

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
You`re right, Filatov is not on the current roster. Filatov is still a prospect as well.
If you are suggesting Phoenix would be willing to trade Turris for Filatov (plus), my question is, Why would Phoenix do this considering the potential for him being a flight risk?

Given the current circumstances, Phoenix is in complete control of the Turris situation. If the reports are close to accurate, several teams are looking to acquire him.

So if Ottawa is a serious contender for Turris, then Filatov isn't part of the package.

Old
11-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Polakdave
Official Sens' Polak

Send a message via AIM to Polakdave Send a message via MSN to Polakdave Send a message via Yahoo to Polakdave
what's this about murray asking about turris?

Polakdave is offline   Reply With Quote