HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Moves the Isles should make

Old
11-20-2011, 01:47 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

vCash: 500
Komisarek would be a titanic mistake. He can't even hold a position in Toronto who have had blue line issues for years. If you saw him with your own eyeballs for a few games you'd also question your own posts about wanting him. Mike at this time, sucks. I not only wouldn't trade for him, I wouldn't take him if they offered me a pick for free, too. He is also out for seven weeks after breaking his arm or something.

We need two players, one up front specifically for Tavares, and another on the blue line. One of them needs to be a strong leader of the physical variety. I am not sure we can get either one now. The summer was the time to do that. No matter, if Garth is not allowed to spend for those positions this is a pointless argument.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:55 PM
tarrin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Get Zenon Knopka for a 7th round pick....

Does this team need a guy like him back in the locker room to spark some life. I am not saying Z would bring us the cup but look at what Avery has done with the Rangers since coming back.
as a sen fan that wont happen...

i came on here looking to see if okposo was gonna be mentioned since he only has 3 points and is pissing me off in my pool

i wouldn't mind seeing ottawa goin for okposo but are you guys wanting to trade him?

tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrin8 View Post

i came on here looking to see if okposo was gonna be mentioned since he only has 3 points and is pissing me off in my pool

i wouldn't mind seeing ottawa goin for okposo but are you guys wanting to trade him?
What are you offering? And no, we have no need for picks.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Watching the Canes/Leafs game and seeing what's come of Staal since he lost his buddy Cole, I'm wondering if they could be looking at a guy like Comeau for Staal's wing?

Okposo?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Isles4ever82

It's called getting players with a backbone on this team and players that care, not a bunch of softie purse wearing players.

Isles4ever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Watching the Canes/Leafs game and seeing what's come of Staal since he lost his buddy Cole, I'm wondering if they could be looking at a guy like Comeau for Staal's wing?

Okposo?
that Skinner kid can really play - wow. Okposo would be very good on Carolina.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 09:59 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrin8 View Post

what about comeau for konopka

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
what about comeau for konopka
Good lord. Really?

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:19 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Komisarek would be a titanic mistake. He can't even hold a position in Toronto who have had blue line issues for years. If you saw him with your own eyeballs for a few games you'd also question your own posts about wanting him. Mike at this time, sucks. I not only wouldn't trade for him, I wouldn't take him if they offered me a pick for free, too. He is also out for seven weeks after breaking his arm or something.

We need two players, one up front specifically for Tavares, and another on the blue line. One of them needs to be a strong leader of the physical variety. I am not sure we can get either one now. The summer was the time to do that. No matter, if Garth is not allowed to spend for those positions this is a pointless argument.
Hmm, several experts are stating that Toronto has ample blue line depth and are one of the teams that can afford to trade def for some forwards. What issues are you referring to?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Title says it all. If the Isles hope to turn it around I think these realistic moves could be made and would actually benefit the team rather than continue on it's mediocre path.

Move 1: Bailey for Turris. Let's face it both are disapointing. Bailey isn't working out and Maloney/Turris' dealings are pretty much done. Talk to Maloney and see if a swap can be worked out and hopefully it'll light a bit of a fire under Turris. He's disapointing but at least he can play center in all 3 zones and not be a liability.

Move 2: Acquire Tomas Kaberle from Carolina. This won't happen because like I said Wang is cheap and Snow sucks. But if they are that sick of him let's see if he can be brought in on the cheap to play a 4-5 d-man role and work the power play. I know people here will complain about his salary but let's face it the breakout sucks and there is no transition game which hurts the squad. Don't know what value is but it's doable.

Move 3: Acquire Franson or Komi from Toronto. This will help the d. As much complaining as people do about komi he has some snarl and plays a tough mean game. I believe both these players can be had at not a steep price(Comeau + mid pick?) and will help the D.

Streit-Komi/Franson
Hamonic-AMAC
Kaberle-Staios
Jurcina

Motteau/Eaton either waived or is possible included in deal(maybe Eaton but doubtful for Motteau).

Not saying it's a fantastic D but it'll help a lot because the Isles D-zone coverage is pathetic. Plus if Turris turns it around the Isles have a nice player and if not it's an even trade for Bailey.

Flame away but I think this is the most reasonable we could ask for right now. But like it won't happen because management blows goats(literally, not figuratively).
Wang is cheap? How can he spend any money when no one goes to the games. I've been to nearly every game this year and the fan support is awful. People need to get there ***** to the games. I'm sick of seeing our arena filled with our opponents fans. How can Charles Wang spend any money when most of you don't spend yours?

Bill Omie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:12 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Omie View Post
Wang is cheap? How can he spend any money when no one goes to the games. I've been to nearly every game this year and the fan support is awful. People need to get there ***** to the games. I'm sick of seeing our arena filled with our opponents fans. How can Charles Wang spend any money when most of you don't spend yours?
How can Wang spend money? How about because he's a billionaire who owns an NHL team, and his only job is to provide that team with enough money to succeed? It is not the fanbase's job to bankroll the franchise. Ever heard the term "you have to spend money to make money"? How about "if you build it, they will come"? Right now the Isles are spending no money and haven't built a competitive roster, thus they are not making money and the fans aren't coming.

Of course, over 16,000 people spent good money on last night's game and anyone not wearing black and gold left wishing they hadn't spent a penny, so there's also that. Give me a break. I sincerely hope that post was sarcasm, otherwise...

11-21-2011, 03:40 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
How can Wang spend money? How about because he's a billionaire who owns an NHL team, and his only job is to provide that team with enough money to succeed? It is not the fanbase's job to bankroll the franchise. Ever heard the term "you have to spend money to make money"? How about "if you build it, they will come"? Right now the Isles are spending no money and haven't built a competitive roster, thus they are not making money and the fans aren't coming.

Of course, over 16,000 people spent good money on last night's game and anyone not wearing black and gold left wishing they hadn't spent a penny, so there's also that. Give me a break. I sincerely hope that post was sarcasm, otherwise...
Wang's not a billionaire.

And your point is 100% correct. The fans got the shaft yet again and are ***-out of their money YET AGAIN.

Now if you spend money on junk bonds, good for you. If you spend money to be entertained and choose the Islanders, good for you. Wang gets your money and spits on your face with this talented team.

nyisles gets it. Many get it. If you spend money, you support Garth, Cappy, Milbury, Yashin, Oleg, DiPi, everything the team does blindly.

You want change, you DO NOT SPEND MONEY. It's simple. If they are not getting money, they are not providing a product worthy and either change or they die. Well, I have not spent one cent on the New York Wanglanders since they rippe the 2001-2 team apart. I sure as hell spent plenty on visiting teams when the Isles were there, but I don't support Wang's operations and wish others would follow so it will change.

But no, people continue to pay and nothing changes and we are surprised?

Good job protecting the status quo.

If I had a wish, people would pay for parking, take up every spot by 5pm and nt allow anyone with a ticket to go in so the arena would be empty but 10,000 people would be protesting outside and the arena would be empty during a Ranger game.

But the masses will go in and nothing will change and Wang will continue to bleed our hearts dry of any passion until the team folds. Good job.

I wish everyone got it, but I'm happy several here get it.

If you buy a ticket either in support or to protest, money reaches Wang and it's as good as saying, "great job, I love this team as it is" to the one guy who can change this debacle.

Remember what kinda hell we had to go through to get rid of Milbury? Well, it's no different with this thing now.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:56 AM
IslesNorway

In fact it's all pretty easy: If Wang had spent money on the team in the first place he'd probably been making money now, not losing it. Good teams puts bums in seats and with bigger attendances comes more corporate sponsorship providing more revenue and less expenditure for the owner.

The problem though, is if the fans stay away the circle will spin the other way and the Isles will be history in a few years. What I don't get is how fans sit quiety and watch this go down. If this had been Europe the players, GM and Owner would've had to add new tires to their list of weekly things to shop.

It's time to protest loudly and visibly. It's time to chant "Snow must go!" or whatever catchphrase is fitting. It's time to tell Wang and Snow that the fans are not gonna put up with it anymore and staying away, being sulky and silent is not gonna do that!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:30 AM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Good lord. Really?
oh i'm sorry i guess you like comeau and his brain-dead play? do you think he's worth more than that right now? but i guess when the team is out of playoff contention and he starts scoring again then it's ok!!

not only would it get him off the team which is a huge plus, it would also send a message to the team saying it doesn't matter how skilled you are when you don't work hard

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
In fact it's all pretty easy: If Wang had spent money on the team in the first place he'd probably been making money now, not losing it. Good teams puts bums in seats and with bigger attendances comes more corporate sponsorship providing more revenue and less expenditure for the owner.

The problem though, is if the fans stay away the circle will spin the other way and the Isles will be history in a few years. What I don't get is how fans sit quiety and watch this go down. If this had been Europe the players, GM and Owner would've had to add new tires to their list of weekly things to shop.

It's time to protest loudly and visibly. It's time to chant "Snow must go!" or whatever catchphrase is fitting. It's time to tell Wang and Snow that the fans are not gonna put up with it anymore and staying away, being sulky and silent is not gonna do that!
Wang did spend money. He spent a ton of money on this team. Maybe the payroll was never very high, but until the lease was redone a couple of years ago, he was losing millions annually (not the 20M+ he claims, but I believe it was 5-10M a year according to Forbes. I don't have a link).

I think Wang has done a lot wrong for this team, but people don't seem to remember the state of the team that he bought. The Isles payroll jumped from $18M, lowest in the league, the year before Wang took over to $40M, 14th highest, the year before the lockout. This was before there was a minimum cap. That $40M was nearly double what some teams were spending.

He spent money, just not very well. And guess how much attendance increased during that period? Not at all. It actually dropped.

Wang has faults, most notably his refusal to fire MM, hiring Snow, the DP contract, etc., but Isles fans have to have a very short memory to fault him for not spending.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompus Rex View Post
oh i'm sorry i guess you like comeau and his brain-dead play?
Comeau isn't playing well right now, but trading him for a 13th forward is just bad asset management. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Cant even read through this ********. Are there really still fans defending this ****ing guy? "He lost millions". **** him. If he would ice an NHL team rather than an AHL team HE WOULDN'T LOSE money. **** him and Snow.

People think he spends money? What a joke. We have one of the lowest payrolls in the league. The ONLY reason why the Isles are even at the cap is because of buyouts and bonuses. So actually, the money being PUT INTO THE ON ICE PRODUCT is even lower tha the cap. So please tell me how this tool is supporting the on ice product? Easy answer. He ****ing isnt.

Last edited by IslesFanatic: 11-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.
IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Comeau isn't playing well right now, but trading him for a 13th forward is just bad asset management. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Fans of the team think like the team.

You have two dozen assets to watch and want to improve the whole by trading a very likely 30 goal scorer for another draft pick. You're a fan I'll take seriously....if you're a surgeon, portfolio manager, politician, police officer, greeter at WalMart - I will avoid your services at ALL COSTS.

But hey, some people want Crawford to come and coach the Isles. Maybe we can get Nino to decapitate Sean Avery and ruin two careers? We're trading Okposo, Bailey, Comeau and a few others this month......so it's quite fun being here to read some drek posters overreacting.

I see Richie with one sentence posts to just swat them, thankfully, but our fanbase if having some SERIOUS issues.

Just find the problem - hint: he's our owner. Fix that and the Baileys, Comeaus, Okposos, Nielsons et al have a chance to be part of a successful operation and could be trade bits to get REAL TOP TIER TALENT.

(cue the building issue if you want zero credibility)

Old
11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Cant even read through this ********. Are there really still fans defending this ****ing guy? "He lost millions". **** him. If he would ice an NHL team rather than an AHL team HE WOULDN'T LOSE money. **** him and Snow.

People think he spends money? What a joke. We have one of the lowest payrolls in the league. The ONLY reason why the Isles are even at the cap is because of buyouts and bonuses. So actually, the money being PUT INTO THE ON ICE PRODUCT is even lower tha the cap. So please tell me how this tool is supporting the on ice product? Easy answer. He ****ing isnt.
You can't blame Nassau for not giving us an arena!!!

They've lost millions running the County.

I swear, some of you residents have no class. Those politicians have done nothing but serve you all and all you can ***ch about is how awful they are. I mean, REALLY!!!

Old
11-21-2011, 01:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Wang did spend money. He spent a ton of money on this team. Maybe the payroll was never very high, but until the lease was redone a couple of years ago, he was losing millions annually (not the 20M+ he claims, but I believe it was 5-10M a year according to Forbes. I don't have a link).

I think Wang has done a lot wrong for this team, but people don't seem to remember the state of the team that he bought. The Isles payroll jumped from $18M, lowest in the league, the year before Wang took over to $40M, 14th highest, the year before the lockout. This was before there was a minimum cap. That $40M was nearly double what some teams were spending.

He spent money, just not very well. And guess how much attendance increased during that period? Not at all. It actually dropped.

Wang has faults, most notably his refusal to fire MM, hiring Snow, the DP contract, etc., but Isles fans have to have a very short memory to fault him for not spending.
Spend to get public approval for the LHP? He did. Gut payroll when things go sour? He did.

Spend to the cap minimum? We're waiting for that to happen.

I don't fault him for spending......I fault him for being a total, incompetent, disinterested charlatan meglomaniac who will spend money to prove he will, not to prove he wants to win.

How much have we spent on coaching, management, scouting, etc.? His only expenses are shallow attempts to prove he'll spend. Meanwhile, if Rick goes down and Rolston is scratched, our payroll is $25M or so.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
_illicit_

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Spend to get public approval for the LHP? He did. Gut payroll when things go sour? He did.

Spend to the cap minimum? We're waiting for that to happen.

I don't fault him for spending......I fault him for being a total, incompetent, disinterested charlatan meglomaniac who will spend money to prove he will, not to prove he wants to win.

How much have we spent on coaching, management, scouting, etc.? His only expenses are shallow attempts to prove he'll spend. Meanwhile, if Rick goes down and Rolston is scratched, our payroll is $25M or so.
Someone put a call into Mark Cuban.

_illicit_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Otto91

Ok....so Snow was a Bonehead in the off Season

Reasoner? a 2 year contract.....1.3 and 1.4.......are you kidding me No one will take this Guy and he needs to go! 2 Years What The heck...why 2 years?

Pandolfo....at 600,000 he can be waived....

Mottau 950,000......no one will take this guy Needs to Go!

Eaton......Yikes 3 mill for what? Staios is Better making 800,000

Start writing the wrong by getting these guys out of the lineup

Getting Konopka Back would be a good start....No one can win a faceoff on this team....plus the team needs bite.... Any Chance The Sens take Reasoner?

Haley in Pando Out

Would rather see Wishart then Eaton or Mottau....

All moves that can be done with little Issue......for Snow or Wang

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:47 PM
_illicit_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Ok....so Snow was a Bonehead in the off Season

Reasoner? a 2 year contract.....1.3 and 1.4.......are you kidding me No one will take this Guy and he needs to go! 2 Years What The heck...why 2 years?

Pandolfo....at 600,000 he can be waived....

Mottau 950,000......no one will take this guy Needs to Go!

Eaton......Yikes 3 mill for what? Staios is Better making 800,000

Start writing the wrong by getting these guys out of the lineup

Getting Konopka Back would be a good start....No one can win a faceoff on this team....plus the team needs bite.... Any Chance The Sens take Reasoner?

Haley in Pando Out

Would rather see Wishart then Eaton or Mottau....

All moves that can be done with little Issue......for Snow or Wang

Ok, color me confused as to why everyone is clamoring for ZENON KONOPKA of all people. There are moves I want us to make (we need to make), but Z is not one of them. I do agree with just about every other move. Bring in some young legs and let their enthusiasm inject some life back into the team.

_illicit_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _illicit_ View Post
Ok, color me confused as to why everyone is clamoring for ZENON KONOPKA of all people. There are moves I want us to make (we need to make), but Z is not one of them. I do agree with just about every other move. Bring in some young legs and let their enthusiasm inject some life back into the team.
Because Islanders fans have been tortured for so long that their brains have turned into liquid mush. They seem to forget that Zenon Konopka was indeed around for and fully involved in the 20 game losing streak last year. That fact just seems to escape them.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:19 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Because Islanders fans have been tortured for so long that their brains have turned into liquid mush. They seem to forget that Zenon Konopka was indeed around for and fully involved in the 20 game losing streak last year. That fact just seems to escape them.
And one of the character guys who helped us get out of that murky period.

Just sayin. Tavares was there those 20 games as well.