Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2011, 04:40 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Joe said they saw something in him that thought he had untapped potential. Wouldn't be the first time they've swung and missed. It happens, hopefully if he really sucks they'll have no qualms waiving him with a new owner now.
It's one thing to bury modest contracts like Petersen/Barch/Raycroft.... 2 million is another story. That's getting into territory that only the big revenue generating teams like Toronto or New York can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Actually id truly like to see something like this
Souray - Daley
Grossman - Larsen
Fistric - Robidas
Those pairs make a lot of sense to me as well.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:45 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It's one thing to bury modest contracts like Petersen/Barch/Raycroft.... 2 million is another story. That's getting into territory that only the big revenue generating teams like Toronto or New York can do.

Those pairs make a lot of sense to me as well.
my biggest fear with them is that fistric and robidas both have habits of chasing hits and poor positional play.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I want to say it was just a move to make it easier to be cap compliant this season, but if that were true you wouldn't have expected it to be for 2 years.
I kind of felt all along it was a cap compliance thing. A player in his position (age-wise) probably wanted some form of stability in terms of years and I think the Stars needed to pay him as much as they are...

Quote:
... hopefully if he really sucks they'll have no qualms waiving him with a new owner now.
I think this shows why they may have been willing to just fork over the second year. Although it's not a very good explanation.

I will say that I think some of us are overstating just how bad he is. He's not good by any stretch but you people saying he's worse than Woywitka have extremely short memories. Woywitka was an unmitigated disaster in his own zone. He was Nisky bad times two. Woywitka was actively terrible; Pardy is an indifferent contributor - he's just there.

Old
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Yeah I want to make it clear that I don't think Pardy is worse than Woywitka, I'm just not sure he's the improvement out of the 7th D that many of us were hoping for.

Fistric and Robidas wouldn't be a perfect pairing no, but I think the emphasis there would be on creating 2 other legitimately good ones and then you just live with whatever Fistric and Robidas do. At least Fistric would continue on his correct side, and you know what they say about hitting being contagious. Could get some bruising shifts out of those two.

Old
11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
ScubaSteve*

So are you clowns finally willing to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, this team isn't very good?

Old
11-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
So are you clowns finally willing to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, this team isn't very good?
You imply that they are the worst thing to happen to the NHL. Where the hell were you when they started out great? Hiding because even you couldn't say they were bad at that point in time?

Old
11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

You know what kinda sucks? If this thing goes all the way down hill, all the guys we would want to trade have NTC's. I wonder if they would try to keep Joe's hands tied.

Old
11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
You know what kinda sucks? If this thing goes all the way down hill, all the guys we would want to trade have NTC's. I wonder if they would try to keep Joe's hands tied.
I had this thought too, it has to come up when thinking about these things. I tend to think most players would accept trades, if anything it would just give them more power over their destination. That to me is the real danger of the NTC not the risk that they may be totally unmovable.

I hate to put it like this but the team has the most leverage with Morrow compared to his fellow NTC counterparts. If management were convinced he would bring back the type of return they couldn't pass up and he flat out didn't want to be traded they could go the opposite way and castrate his standing in the league by removing the captaincy and further reducing his role on the team. I don't say that lightly but if he's not part of the solution his place on the team either needs to be reduced or he needs to be traded in an effort to become part of the solution.

Old
11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Since you wouldn't admit the team was better than you thought a week ago when we were 11-3.. no. Goes both ways.

Old
11-20-2011, 06:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I also think Morrow would waive to a Cup Contender if Joe asked him to. His career is winding down and I'm sure he wants to win a Cup more than he wants to stay in Dallas.

Quote:
Since you refused to show your head around here 2 weeks ago when we were 11-3.. no, no I'm not. It goes both ways.

Old
11-20-2011, 08:36 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Since you refused to show your head around here 2 weeks ago when we were 11-3.. no, no I'm not. It goes both ways.
Actually I was, and I was saying that the wheels were going to fall off before long. Thanks for playing, though.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1008483&page=4

Old
11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Actually I was, and I was saying that the wheels were going to fall off before long. Thanks for playing, though.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1008483&page=4
General boards isn't "around here" Keep trying though.

Old
11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I hate to put it like this but the team has the most leverage with Morrow compared to his fellow NTC counterparts. If management were convinced he would bring back the type of return they couldn't pass up and he flat out didn't want to be traded they could go the opposite way and castrate his standing in the league by removing the captaincy and further reducing his role on the team. I don't say that lightly but if he's not part of the solution his place on the team either needs to be reduced or he needs to be traded in an effort to become part of the solution.
Sure, they could find ways to make Morrow miserable, but they shouldn't go that route. They were dumb enough to give him the no trade, so they should suffer the consequences of that deal. You don't want to have players spreading the word that you lie to or screw over your players.

The way Edmonton treated Souray is something every NHL player knows about. Obviously, the Oilers don't care because no free agent wants to play in Edmonton, but the Stars should worry about that perception.

Old
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't think it will get to the point where you have to threaten Morrow. Cut his ice time, maybe scratch him saying it's an injury when he's been playing with it and tell him it will get uncomfortable but I'm pretty sure he'll go if the Stars make it known they're going in another direction.

Ribiero is the one you kinda worry about but again if a deal say the Islanders comes up he might give it a go. Certainly Phoenix with Tippet. There are options and some teams may be scratched but I don't think it will prohibit things though I hope it means in the future Joe hands out less of them.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I don't think it will get to the point where you have to threaten Morrow. Cut his ice time, maybe scratch him saying it's an injury when he's been playing with it and tell him it will get uncomfortable but I'm pretty sure he'll go if the Stars make it known they're going in another direction.

Ribiero is the one you kinda worry about but again if a deal say the Islanders comes up he might give it a go. Certainly Phoenix with Tippet. There are options and some teams may be scratched but I don't think it will prohibit things though I hope it means in the future Joe hands out less of them.
Ribeiro can only veto trades to 10 teams. The other 19 are free game, so it wouldn't be that hard to get rid of him if we needed to.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Is that how that works? I thought it was 10 teams he agreed to play for, and the others would require his permission.

11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Is that how that works? I thought it was 10 teams he agreed to play for, and the others would require his permission.
Capgeek says "NTC (can specify a 10-team no-trade list)" so that's how I interpreted it.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:34 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Sure, they could find ways to make Morrow miserable, but they shouldn't go that route. They were dumb enough to give him the no trade, so they should suffer the consequences of that deal. You don't want to have players spreading the word that you lie to or screw over your players.

The way Edmonton treated Souray is something every NHL player knows about. Obviously, the Oilers don't care because no free agent wants to play in Edmonton, but the Stars should worry about that perception.
What does your post have anything to do with anything I said? If they stripped him of the "C", cut his playing time, played him on the 3rd or 4th lines because he isn't helping the TEAM in his current role where is the lie? The NTC is a silly thing because everyone knows that all it does is give the player some modicum of control over their destiny.

Your logic of saying that they made their bed and should lie in it is, well, illogical. That's not how humans work, people make mistakes and learn from them, correcting them along the way in the best way they see fit. My regimen for #10 is in no way disingenuous, a lie, or anything of the sort and neither is trying to trade a player with a NTC. Play whistle to whistle, play disciplined, and if you get called for a penalty (legitimate or not) shut your ****ing mouth and go to the box. It has become clear that Morrow and his constant *****ing on the ice is the primary target for Gulutzan's comments on the topic.

O-M-G what if other players around the NHL knew that the Dallas Stars have high standards for their star players, including their captain?! Oh the horror...

Old
11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
I think we all acknowledge you are the biggest joke of a Stars fan on the planet.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Sports
habitual conformist

"Jim Lites on with Norm: 'Tom Gaglardi has given me full authority to modify pricing.' Says he's going to modify pricing downward in lower bowl so people can experience game at high level."
-@DefendingBigD

Old
11-23-2011, 12:59 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

That's a smart move. It's easy to look at the Stars' average ticket price, the cheapest in the league, and think that there's nowhere to go. But that's mostly derived from the vast swaths of upper bowl seats that go for less than they do in the average NHL rink. And as anyone who's been in the AAC knows, many of those seats only put you in the vague vicinity of a hockey game. Seeing a game there bears little resemblance to the experience Stars fans first had at Reunion. The lower bowl, meanwhile, remained exorbitantly expensive in most cases despite the tepid demand.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Brand New Stars

I really don't mind the upper bowl at the AAC. You can see all the action and you aren't sitting next to the stupid corporate people. I would obviously take a lower bowl seat because the atmosphere is better, but I always have a good time in the upper bowl as well.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:23 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't mind it either, but it's not exactly the way to make new fans of the sport IMO. Once you know what you're looking at it's probably the best place to watch the game actually. Until then though...

Old
11-23-2011, 03:11 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
We're lucky that Eriksson, Benn, and Neal turned out the way they did. Don't expect that to become the rule.
Datsyuk
Zetterberg

Do those names ring a bell?

And yet Detroit is always heralded as this great drafting team - in part because of those guys.

Granted, they are good and I also like (and hope the Stars imitate) their patience with prospects.

But every team gets lucky from time to time, whether it be lottery positioning, late round gems, or a few top picks in a row all panning out well.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Well to be fair I don't think anyone expected Benn to produce like he did. ... So saying the Stars never got credit is hardly a knock on HF rankings or other HF posters.

Loui played well in the SEL but was never the star on his own team. ... He was considered a decent prospect but no one outside the organization was convinced the offense would follow. .. Hell Jussi Jokinen wasn't that well regarded before he blew up his rookie year.

...After finally living up to his billing the year after he was drafted James Neal had all the hallmarks of being a top power forward but the truth is lot's of players fit that bill and never amount to anything. Shoulld he have been ranked higher? Yes but not so much that he, and he alone brings up the overall prospect rankings of the Stars.

One bright prospect is great for the team but depth and overall quality is usually what tops the rankings here. Keep that in mind.
I'm not saying that HF should have foreseen the future and nailed Benn, Eriksson or Neal. What I'm saying is that the system of HF ranking is unable to give credit for players that rapidly progress & exceed expectations. Because of that, it basically becomes a list of recent high-draft picks who haven't progressed rather than a list of prospects which are rapidly progressing..

Now understand.. That system is what it is. It doesn't really bother me. What i feel inclined to correct is people saying that the Stars have poor drafting & development and reference our HF ranking as evidence. I haven't been able to see this thread in over a week though, so I'm not even sure if that was what originally brought all of this about..

What were we talking about again?

Closed Thread