HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 4-0, The Gomez Edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2011, 12:16 PM
  #201
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You guys can say what you want, but no line has been more creative, efficient and dominant like our 2nd line. 95% of the plays start with a pass from Desharnais, he's not racking up points like Plekanec, but he's exactly where he should be on the team. IMO, he can still be better too.
I just wish he had more speed. He does have great vision, but his size really hurts us since he can't dominate down low.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is becoming a decent player for us, but if Eller can get it going offensively, then DD is the odd man out.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM
  #202
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,234
vCash: 500
So anyone have a reason why Weber was whiffing on alot of point shots last night? I kept saying WTF! Nerves maybe?!?

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
  #203
TheBourkeIdentity
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
So anyone have a reason why Weber was whiffing on alot of point shots last night? I kept saying WTF! Nerves maybe?!?
Undiagnosed concussion?

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:44 PM
  #204
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I just wish he had more speed. He does have great vision, but his size really hurts us since he can't dominate down low.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is becoming a decent player for us, but if Eller can get it going offensively, then DD is the odd man out.
"If" is the word...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
  #205
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHQTV View Post
This was an interview between Scott Gomez and Evelyne Audet of Habs TV last night. I found it pretty funny and thought I'd post it here. Gomez attempts to flirt with her for a brief moment. I think it completely goes over Evelyne's head. She doesn't notice it, but I did.

Here's the video (watch between 2:35 and 2:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhbRrvdeohg
Oh my gosh .

I don't blame him though.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
  #206
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
So anyone have a reason why Weber was whiffing on alot of point shots last night? I kept saying WTF! Nerves maybe?!?
He seemed to be hesitating from time to time. It was like he was deferring to the more senior members of the team.

I still think he is more effective on the right side than the left. Some guys have a knack for those one-timers as the puck comes across their body when they play on their off wing... Cammalleri for example. I am not sure that Weber has mastered that just yet.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:03 PM
  #207
noiro
Registered User
 
noiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
What happened to Sandrine Balthazar?

noiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:04 PM
  #208
pine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,152
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiro View Post
What happened to Sandrine Balthazar?
Moved on to the Alouettes :|

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:12 PM
  #209
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
"If" is the word...
Nope, "when" is the word. When as in when Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen get back together. That line has always been dynamite for us in the past.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
  #210
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Nope, "when" is the word. When as in when Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen get back together. That line has always been dynamite for us in the past.
I agree. That line is ridiculously good. Which is humourous considering all three were scapegoats at one point last year. Moen getting blamed for being in the top six(justified), Kostitsyn for being lazy, and Eller for Halak being good for the first 5 games of last year.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:41 PM
  #211
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You guys can say what you want, but no line has been more creative, efficient and dominant like our 2nd line. 95% of the plays start with a pass from Desharnais, he's not racking up points like Plekanec, but he's exactly where he should be on the team. IMO, he can still be better too.
Creative yes, efficient maybe but not dominant. They give far too many chances against for that to be the case. That's fine, it wasn't built to be a shutdown line but it is a bit of an issue with the current lineup since they've been used to cover the other team's second line for the past while.

Things will get better when the line up gets healthier and they can built a good secondary defensive matchup line again, like Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn. Then Desharnais's unit can focus on what they are good at, pure offense, by feeding them a steady diet of bottom six talent to dominate.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:48 PM
  #212
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Creative yes, efficient maybe but not dominant. They give far too many chances against for that to be the case. That's fine, it wasn't built to be a shutdown line but it is a bit of an issue with the current lineup since they've been used to cover the other team's second line for the past while.

Things will get better when the line up gets healthier and they can built a good secondary defensive matchup line again, like Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn. Then Desharnais's unit can focus on what they are good at, pure offense, by feeding them a steady diet of bottom six talent to dominate.
I doubt that opposing teams will put their bottom six talent against a line that includes Pacioretty and Cole... at least not willingly.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
  #213
Rutabaga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Country: France
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I doubt that opposing teams will put their bottom six talent against a line that includes Pacioretty and Cole... at least not willingly.
Well, you have to chose your poison.
Right now, Plekanec is often, at the very least, controlling the play against 1st lines. They cant give him any room.

Then, your second liners will have to face either Eller or Desharnais.
But its obviously going to be difficult to play against both...

The Dane is maybe not as good looking as Desharnais is right now, but with the right players and circumstances (the chemistry with Kostitsyn being an asset), i dont think its going to be that much of a problem to outscore the opposition (considering an equal level of competition).
And even possibly to a bigger proportion than Desharnais's line. They can score, yes, but they also get scored on quite often...


But it may be hypothetical. We still have to use Gomez...

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 02:27 PM
  #214
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I doubt that opposing teams will put their bottom six talent against a line that includes Pacioretty and Cole... at least not willingly.
It becomes a bit of a chess match then but line matchups is a part of coaching Martin is pretty good at. Its easier at home with the last change, at home with 3 good lines a coach can pretty much pick and choose whatever line match he wants unless the opposing team's depth is even better.

One factor is that DD is going to get a lot of offensive zone starts compared to Plekanec and Eller/Gomez so a the opposing team has to give their better offensive players a bad starting point in order to match them against that line. Plus with decent offensive players on the 2nd matchup unit (like say, Eller-Kostitsyn) using bottom sixers against them is hazardous in of itself. Its all about giving the opposing coaches bad options to choose from.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:58 PM
  #215
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
So anyone have a reason why Weber was whiffing on alot of point shots last night? I kept saying WTF! Nerves maybe?!?
I've been trying to figure out what Weber's deal is at times this year with the one-timer and just shooting on the PP in general. I think it's a combination of frustration and lack of creativity on his part at the moment. He's actually connected on quite a few one-timers this year but he's always too far out or too close to the boards to make the goalie work hard for the save. On the one-timer he did score, it seemed to take the goalie forever to get across, and Weber actually didn't get great wood on the shot but it still went in. I think he needs to read the play a bit better, and not always think one-timer. A pump fake and a wrist shot can be equally effective. Maybe he should watch some Andrei Markov video, lol. I think Weber is talented enough to make the proper adjustments, but it's entirely possible that he doesn't know he should. Maybe the coaches are telling to just concentrate on firing away when the puck comes to him, but i think he's capable of more.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 04:54 PM
  #216
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Good post. The bolded part is certainly interesting, one would think there is going to likely be a trade.

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Campoli
Spacek
Gill
Weber
Emelin
Diaz
St-Denis

That's 10 defenseman capable of NHL minutes right now, St-Denis and Diaz can go back to the AHL if required.
No trade.

Campoli, Spacek and Gill likely gone for next year.

PG will send guys to the AHL for now.

Also the D will never be 100% healthy for more than 4 games in a row. We need that many backups.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
  #217
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I just wish he had more speed. He does have great vision, but his size really hurts us since he can't dominate down low.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is becoming a decent player for us, but if Eller can get it going offensively, then DD is the odd man out.
You're right. If DD had more speed, he could pose a breakaway threat, which would force the defence to cover more ground, which would either give him more space, or breakaways.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:14 PM
  #218
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
You're right. If DD had more speed, he could pose a breakaway threat, which would force the defence to cover more ground, which would either give him more space, or breakaways.
The NHL doesn't allow attaching jet or rocket engines to one's skate boots.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:30 PM
  #219
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The NHL doesn't allow attaching jet or rocket engines to one's skate boots.
Haha. True. But I wish DD did some powerskating in the summer.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:30 PM
  #220
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
But it may be hypothetical. We still have to use Gomez...
I actually like the way he is being used right now. He is effective on the wing, he is a good forechecker, and is good along the boards, and can distribute the puck into the middle of the ice well.

Then the odd shift throw him between Cammy and Gionta, which can really throw off matchups for the opposing team. Pacioretty-DD-Cole is our best line, but if you throw out the midget line out there, they have a chance to truly dominate lesser competition. Then if you have Eller, Moen and Kosty back going again, you have huge matchup potential, and Martin is a master at using this to his advantage.

I personally like neutralizing the other teams top players with Plekanec and trying to get better matchups down the lineup, rather than trying to get Plek in an offensive role, and this is ultimately what happens every playoff season.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:32 PM
  #221
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I doubt that opposing teams will put their bottom six talent against a line that includes Pacioretty and Cole... at least not willingly.
As others have said, it'll be a pick your poison type, as long as AK-Eller-Moen is reunited.
Either line can dominate versus most opposing bottom lines. That is why people were so enthused with our depth coming into this season.

One thing's for sure, I can't wait for this team to be healthy. There's a lot of potential.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:43 PM
  #222
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I actually like the way he is being used right now. He is effective on the wing, he is a good forechecker, and is good along the boards, and can distribute the puck into the middle of the ice well.

Then the odd shift throw him between Cammy and Gionta, which can really throw off matchups for the opposing team. Pacioretty-DD-Cole is our best line, but if you throw out the midget line out there, they have a chance to truly dominate lesser competition. Then if you have Eller, Moen and Kosty back going again, you have huge matchup potential, and Martin is a master at using this to his advantage.

I personally like neutralizing the other teams top players with Plekanec and trying to get better matchups down the lineup, rather than trying to get Plek in an offensive role, and this is ultimately what happens every playoff season.
This strategy seems to be what the coaching staff goes for when they have the bodies and is what the forward group is built to do. They don't have any dominate ES scoring forwards (although Pacioretty has been inching towards that territory) but are very strong defensively at the top of the lineup (mainly Plekanec, but also guys like Gionta and Eller) with strong offensive depth.

Build a lineup were every line has a good chance of winning their lineup and sometimes will be facing such a mismatch that they will absolute dominate and you get a very good even strength team. Which at long last it seems, Montreal has become.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 05:55 PM
  #223
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHQTV View Post
This was an interview between Scott Gomez and Evelyne Audet of Habs TV last night. I found it pretty funny and thought I'd post it here. Gomez attempts to flirt with her for a brief moment. I think it completely goes over Evelyne's head. She doesn't notice it, but I did.

Here's the video (watch between 2:35 and 2:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhbRrvdeohg
LOL
She completely missed the compliment. She was probably a bit too nervous.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:04 PM
  #224
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
DD is the one forward who is impressing me the most

His confidence has sky rocketed and you can tell how much improvement he's made 1 on 1 against NHL sized Dmen.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:05 PM
  #225
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,312
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
LOL
She completely missed the compliment. She was probably a bit too nervous.
I think she was thinking or rehearsing in her head how to ask the next question and wasn't really paying attention to his answers.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.