HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty on pace for 35+ goal season

View Poll Results: Does Max Pacioretty get over or under 35.5 goals?
Over 73 35.78%
Under 131 64.22%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I keep saying it depends on how Martin uses him, this kid has all the tools to score 30 + goals a year. LOL at all the Bruins fans who didn't think Patches could have made a difference in last years playoffs

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 08:28 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I keep saying it depends on how Martin uses him, this kid has all the tools to score 30 + goals a year. LOL at all the Bruins fans who didn't think Patches could have made a difference in last years playoffs
Yeah he was only our best player against their team

But yeah they're probably right, a guy who averages more than a ppg against their team likely couldn't have done anything in 4 close games to turn the tide in one

Whatever gets them to believe they won the cup without being cheap short artists I guess.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah he was only our best player against their team

But yeah they're probably right, a guy who averages more than a ppg against their team likely couldn't have done anything in 4 close games to turn the tide in one

Whatever gets them to believe they won the cup without being cheap short artists I guess.
Just a strong hockey play!!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 08:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Just a strong hockey play!!!!
Whatever gets them to believe they aren't one of the biggest cheap shotting teams in the NHL I guess.

Yeah I'm sure the elbow on Zednick was just a strong hockey play too, same with the elbow on Halpen. Those were just solid hockey plays. Can't wait until the first "strong hockey play" of the season that happens to Seguin, Bergeron, Horton or Marchand. Not because I wish injury on them I honestly don't, just can't wait to see the reaction. The hypocrisy on this forum will be at an all time high

Did you see the thread on Cole "running Enroth"? These kids will do anything to convince themselves every other team is as bad as theirs.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Prairie Habs

I have him at 32

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
MathMan

35 is a stretch. He's shooting a bit hot. But he's shooting a lot, which means he'll keep getting goals. 30 is very likely if he stays in the lineup all year.

And really, he's shooting 12.5%. That's "hot" because it's way above his career average, but it's also smack dab in the typical range for a scoring forward. It's quite possible he is a 12% shooter, which would make 35 goals a decent bet at this rate.

The good thing? This doesn't look one bit like a one-time thing. A guy who consistently produces lots of shots will consistently produce lots of goals. MaxPac looks like a guy who'll get 30 goals a year for a long while.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
I said it at the beginning of the season in one of those threads asking who you think would have the most goals/assists, etc

My pick for most goals was Pacioretty and he hasn't disappointed yet.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:59 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I'll say, 29 goals, 3 empty nets. 32 goal season

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
20 goals, 25 goals, 30 goals...doesn't matter to me (it's all good!).

As long as he stays healthy and keeps his head up like he has been (good for him and our Habs) and continues playing the way he does. He palyed so risky in the beginning of his NHL career (kept getting killed along the boards...I don't really see that now...great adjustment).

Most important...for him to stay healthy for the entire playoffs (I know, let's make it first). It's actually amazing that he is playing so well especially after what Chara pulled on him (almost killed him).

HEALTH...it's all about his health (so glad he's healthy and playing the way he does...that's what we should be so happy about, imo). So glad he is having a great season and Chara didn't ruin him.

I still hate Chara so much (hate is a cute word for how I really feel about Chara and his *swear word* ogre face...I'm sure his wife married him for his $$$$ and not his *bad word* face, there's no doubt about it). I want to write more about how much I despise Chara and how he could have ruined our Pacioretty, but I don't want to get suspended!

Go Pacioretty Go!! (keep keeping your head up and stay healthy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Strong play my *dirty word*.

For example...let's say our Jarred Tinordi (in the future) led and then shoved Tyler Seguin into a stanchion/turnbuckle almost killing or paralyzing Seguin for life...I really doubt our GM would say it was a ''strong hockey play''.

Revenge...that's what it was and it went unpunished.
I want to forget about it 'cause it just makes me angry.

I guess everyone can learn a lesson here...give a shove to Chara (sleeping giant became a violent giant seeking violent revenge) and he will remember it and try to kill you (now or later on) and the league will ignore the entire event and ignore what it obviously was...revenge (not sure I believe in karma after Chara won a Cup...Thomas deserved it but not Chara;Lucic;the dman who gave the finger ; Horton,etc).

Ok, I better stop 'cause right now I'm so happy that Pacioretty is doing well and is super healthy. We should all be ecstatic that we have a healthy and productive Pacioretty (17pts in 20games , you know his agent is salivating for more $$$$).

Go Pacioretty Go!! (keep it up! and also keep keeping your head up)

p.s.: Pacioretty is a scoring winger with size and some punch...and/or power forward (or not) I like what I see from Pacioretty especially that he's healthy and playing well and being more careful out there (since there are so many headhunters). He great for any line...the 1st, the 2nd, and even the 3rd (ex: Pacioretty-Eller-Desharnais or Moen).
Your posts put a on my face today!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Habs Junkie

Ok since some of you guys see him as a scoring winger, others as a power forward, I also think his play making ability is top notch, is there such thing as a hybrid winger? If not we should create the category just for Max!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Lshap

I'd give the Chara talk a rest. Yes, he deserved a suspension, and yes, he benefited from the pre-Shanahan see-no-evil mentality of Campbell.

But no, I don't believe he intended to do that degree of harm. Chara, for all his lumbering dumb moves, isn't known as a serial dirty player. He called Pacioretty and apologized for his actions, and he's been noticeably cleaner in his play along the boards since. From my perspective, the guy got away with one, but at least learned from his mistake.

A guy like Lucic, on the other hand, is a head-shakingly dumb slug. Until he grows up and stops being enabled by the drooling fans who worship that type of tantrum-toughness, he's a much more worthy target to direct your hate.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:22 AM
WestIslander

Last year I called Pacioretty a 40 goal scorer in this league and people laughed at me on this board! I guess we will see in April if I was right or wrong.

All I know is that even if he scores 30+ at the age of 22, he is going to score 40+ before he is 30, just watch and see.

I want to see a future line of:

Pacioretty - Leblanc - Gallagher

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Tied at 36th for points in the NHL.
Tied at 9th for goals.
He turned 23 yesterday.
If he doesn't get the 35 goal mark this year, it will probably be next year.
And if he keeps improving as he is, 40 goals next year would not be out of question.
When he'll start hitting more frequently, we'll have a monster in our hands!!!

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
MicroFracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'd give the Chara talk a rest. Yes, he deserved a suspension, and yes, he benefited from the pre-Shanahan see-no-evil mentality of Campbell.

But no, I don't believe he intended to do that degree of harm. Chara, for all his lumbering dumb moves, isn't known as a serial dirty player. He called Pacioretty and apologized for his actions, and he's been noticeably cleaner in his play along the boards since. From my perspective, the guy got away with one, but at least learned from his mistake.

A guy like Lucic, on the other hand, is a head-shakingly dumb slug. Until he grows up and stops being enabled by the drooling fans who worship that type of tantrum-toughness, he's a much more worthy target to direct your hate.
Chara was after Pacioretty because he lightly pushed him in an OT win two games prior. In Boston, he slashed him a couple times, then the next game at the Bell Centre he does that, once his team is down 4-0 and with a couple of seconds left in the second period. There's no doubt in my mind that with the loss being certain, he thought it was the perfect time to goon it up and take his revenge, because he DOES act like a gigantic ape who loses his temper at times (on Pleky in the playoffs, at the end of the game 1 win I think). Did he know he would and intended to break his neck and send him in the hospital? Unlikely, but he did intent to injure Pacioretty to ''send a message'' since his team was getting blown out.

I also don't buy the ''he was classy about it'' bit. Right away he pretended that Pacioretty jumped into the stanchion, then pretended he didn't know where he was on the ice. He never accepted any responsibility for it. Coupled with the lack of suspension, the ovation in Boston and Recchi's ******* comments calling into question the integrity of our team and our medical staff, there's nothing about the Chara-Pacioretty hit that doesn't make me bitter.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Are you serious? I didn't see Pacioretty's game changed one bit.

He still plays the same.
Only difference I see now is he's not always going full throttle head down when rushing up ice along the boards or deep in the offensive zone, but that's actually a smart thing as he had a tendency to really get nailed often at the begining of his pro career for not being aware enough of his surroundings. That's not to say he got afraid or tentative though, he still skates and cuts up ice with authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post

100% agree on Chara. Pacioretty forgave and moved on, time for fans to do the same. These players aren't psychopaths, a mistake was made but let's not be hypocritical about it, we as fans demand players to play on the line and with extreme emotion, so in that context I understand why once in a while the emotions get the better of them in a split second decision. Doesn't mean they shouldn't pay for it, the league dropped the ball big time on that one, but for all the bad it did, it seems it was part of the driving force to push a Neanderthal out of the league official group and jumpstart a shift in awareness about the dangerous plays in the game and how to eradicate the more careless and vicious ones.

As for Lucic, I actually like him. His game is pure brutal force and intimidation. He sticks up for himself and can also play some great hockey. I'm sure every Hab fan would be exctatic if he was traded here. I don't like some of his antics, the Miller hit crossed the line, but it's up to the league to have a tight enough leash on him so he doesn't go overboard and plays within official boundaries. And with all the commotion surounding his hit on Miller, I'm sure he knows next time he does that he's going to be hit by a book.

Last edited by overlords: 11-21-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
A scoring winger?

Many label wingers who have size and offensive abilities as powerforwards, and that's fine. To me, however, a powerforward plays with more brute force, plays a meaner game, etc. Lucic fits the bill. Clowe, too. Pacioretty and Cole (more the latter) play with some power, but generally aren't players opposing defensemen have to be aware of for their physical games. Neither impose their will a great deal out there physically either.

This is semantics, though, and not relevant to your poll.
There was a lot of talk about this on the Lucic vs Pacioretty thread on the main page, Lucic being characterized as an old school power forward, while Pacioretty is more of a modern, finesse based player. Does that mean he's not a power forward? It really is all semantics. Pacioretty's size and willingness to use it is a strength, but it's not THE strength of his game. I don't think being a power forward is necessarily about intimidation and brute force though. A lot of people call James van Riemsdyk one, but he's closer to Pacioretty than say, Luicic. Even John LeClair was also a scorer first.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

35+ would be within the range of a career year in Pacioretty's context.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

If he stay healty, 28 goals and 23 assists

He will do 30+ goals but in the future, let him do a full season on top lines

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
There was a lot of talk about this on the Lucic vs Pacioretty thread on the main page, Lucic being characterized as an old school power forward, while Pacioretty is more of a modern, finesse based player. Does that mean he's not a power forward? It really is all semantics. Pacioretty's size and willingness to use it is a strength, but it's not THE strength of his game. I don't think being a power forward is necessarily about intimidation and brute force though. A lot of people call James van Riemsdyk one, but he's closer to Pacioretty than say, Luicic. Even John LeClair was also a scorer first.
Yup, I don't disagree with anything you've said. I'll say that I didn't consider LeClair a power forward either, though.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Clipitar

If Patches gets 30 goals this year, I'm ecstatic. I think 35 goals is fairly unrealistic expectations, even if he's scoring at that pace right now.

Honestly, 25 is all I ask. Anything more than that is gravy!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Habs13

I think Pacioretty will score more than 30 but less that 36, so I voted under... but he is going to hit 40 in a season in the near future! He's like a bigger Chris Higgins, with a better shot.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
35 is a stretch. He's shooting a bit hot. But he's shooting a lot, which means he'll keep getting goals. 30 is very likely if he stays in the lineup all year.

And really, he's shooting 12.5%. That's "hot" because it's way above his career average, but it's also smack dab in the typical range for a scoring forward. It's quite possible he is a 12% shooter, which would make 35 goals a decent bet at this rate.

The good thing? This doesn't look one bit like a one-time thing. A guy who consistently produces lots of shots will consistently produce lots of goals. MaxPac looks like a guy who'll get 30 goals a year for a long while.
Not sure it is quite fair to look at his career percentage considering this is the first year he realy is setting himself apart.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:29 PM
NHLcrazy

Expect the unexpected...

41 goals

First time since the 20th century a Habs player reaches the 40 goal plateau.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Mind you, I'm fine with a "Scoring winger with size who goes to the net".
That's how I see him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:58 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
I'm dead serious.

It's a very slight subtle difference. You'd have to re-watch the tapes to see probably.

He is not as eager and willing to get physical too, this is clear.

Frankly.. this is a normal reaction after suffering a traumatic event such as a concussion, especially the way he did.

Think of it this way... I lift weights, and I do heavy deadlifts.. I have hurt my back before and had to take 2 months off working out for it to heal and I couldn't lift even 5-10lbs without possibly getting horrible back spasms. So now when I deadlift that injury is always somewhere in the back of my head.. it's not a bad thing, it makes me less likely to get injured in the future by becoming more aware of my posture and whatnot. It's just.. one of those things, it's only natural.
Or maybe he's matured as a player and is playing more intelligently. He's scoring better than ever as a result. I'd rather have a guy play 80 games and get 80 points and play slightly less physically than 50 games and 40 points while trying to destroy everything that moves.

As for your logic of getting hurt and coming back less physical. It's pro sports. Every player is constantly injured and yet you don't see as a general rule guys being less physical following each injury.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote