Todd Marchant

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Sherlock

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Todd Marchant

Where have all the Wild fans gone? Sheesh, one post on the 15th, none (except for this one) on the 16th ... what's up with that?

Okay, here is a topic designed solely to get the ball rolling a little more:

Todd Marchant has been let go by Columbus. Should the Wild go after him?

In my opinion, no. He's fast, but not incredibly responsible defensively and his contract is pretty extravagent for a player of his caliber (mid ~$2.45m for the next two years, then $2.66 in the third I believe -- that's damn near Gaborik money.).

He strikes me as an offensive minded Wes Walz, but with the Wild's lack of scoring lately maybe they could use a spark of some sort. If he were a million bucks less I'd say go for it.

Discuss.

Old
11-17-2005, 12:51 AM
TeamSeals

while i think he would fit well enough on the wild and possibly help the team his salary is way too big for what he brings to the table, so i say no but i do think we should get a number one center to put between gabby and rolston, then we would have whoever we get, koivu, walz, and chouinard

Old
11-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
wouldn't be a bad idea, but is he too expensive. That's my only concern

Old
11-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Wild Bill

I can't see much interest coming from Wild camp with that cap number, although someone will probably take a chance on the speedster. He could be a nice, but expensive complimentary player on a good team.

Old
11-17-2005, 07:08 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

This guy is making WAY too much money for the Wild to even consider him.. I want the team to do good this year, but we might as well pack it in and play for a high draft pick...because even if we make the playoffs, there is no way this team wins the cup. IMHO.

I'm sick and tired of this crappy play latety, so sorry if my post sounds negative. Gaborik needs to toughen up and get on the fricken ice...and why the hell is Robittelle(sp?) still on this team??? CALL UP WESTRUM!!!!!!!! He's only tied for the AHL lead in points..!!

Old
11-17-2005, 08:42 AM
ceber

Contract's the only thing I don't like about that. Not because we don't have the room right now, but I think we could spend the money better for the next two seasons.

Old
11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
TeamSeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
This guy is making WAY too much money for the Wild to even consider him.. I want the team to do good this year, but we might as well pack it in and play for a high draft pick...because even if we make the playoffs, there is no way this team wins the cup. IMHO.

I'm sick and tired of this crappy play latety, so sorry if my post sounds negative. Gaborik needs to toughen up and get on the fricken ice...and why the hell is Robittelle(sp?) still on this team??? CALL UP WESTRUM!!!!!!!! He's only tied for the AHL lead in points..!!
Why the hell is Robitaille still on the team? he sucks so much, for every goal he may score he does something incredibly stupid. we need to dump him now, give Westrum a chance or go out and get someone who is legitimately good.

Old
11-17-2005, 04:03 PM
nspeen

my question is if we sell out every game, sell a lot of merchandise but yet only spend 23 million on the team, where does all the money go?

Old
11-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeen
my question is if we sell out every game, sell a lot of merchandise but yet only spend 23 million on the team, where does all the money go?
I think it's more like $28-29m, but that is still a fair point.

Also, I think you guys are being a little rough on Randy Robitaille. He can skate and move the puck well, and is somewhat useful on the powerplay. He isn't a defensive mastermind, but you guys make him sound like Nazarov! Plus, he is cheap as hell.

Is he a better option than Westrum? Maybe, maybe not. I'm all for giving Westy a chance... but Robitaille is not as horrible as you are making him sound.

Old
11-17-2005, 08:32 PM
nspeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
I think it's more like $28-29m, but that is still a fair point..
i think you are correct, the site that i saw that on is on crack.

Old
11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeen

If I was in your shoes thats what I would be asking. Of course you guys have been the playoffs and the cbj have not. So take your pick I guess. But I know if I was in a sold out building every night, and the payroll was in the mid 20's, I would be asking some questions. Because we are 5 years into this thing and the payrolls should be growing.

Im not tryin to troll, I was just reading about todd marchant, and read what your payroll is. And knowing about your sell out streak and all I was taken back. I would definatly consider todd if I were you guys.

Old
11-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Sherlock

Does anyone here have any specific financial data on the team? I'd be interested to know what kind of income they derive from the brand, ticket sales, marketing, etc.

I don't expect anyone to be able to locate a cash-flow sheet, but some stats might be interesting to see.

(FWIW, the NHLPA web site has the Wild's payroll at $25.7 million. A website called The Fourth Period has it at at $28.3 million, but they count some players that aren't with the big league club. I guess we can settle on mid-20s?)

Old
11-18-2005, 02:31 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Where have all the Wild fans gone? Sheesh, one post on the 15th, none (except for this one) on the 16th ... what's up with that?
Let me tell you something, kid. I've been here for three years, and it seems that every year Wild posters start off very strong, then go into this mid-season slump. Just like their favorite hockey team.

Old
11-18-2005, 06:29 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16
Let me tell you something, kid. I've been here for three years, and it seems that every year Wild posters start off very strong, then go into this mid-season slump. Just like their favorite hockey team.
It's all about being part of the team.

Old
11-18-2005, 07:27 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Also, I think you guys are being a little rough on Randy Robitaille. He can skate and move the puck well, and is somewhat useful on the powerplay. He isn't a defensive mastermind, but you guys make him sound like Nazarov! Plus, he is cheap as hell.

Is he a better option than Westrum? Maybe, maybe not. I'm all for giving Westy a chance... but Robitaille is not as horrible as you are making him sound.

Yeah I was probablly a little hard on him when I posted those comments. It's just all I see from him are defensive and mental mistakes all of the time. Pretty much every shift that i've seen him play, he's made some sort of mistake. And I hate watching players that are constintly making mental mistakes...It just drives me nuts... But I digress..

Old
11-18-2005, 07:31 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest
Im not tryin to troll, I was just reading about todd marchant, and read what your payroll is. And knowing about your sell out streak and all I was taken back. I would definatly consider todd if I were you guys.

We wouldn't think you were trying to troll. Thanks for stopping by our board to comment...We don't get very many posters from other teams here. So anyway, thanks for the post and stop by again sometime!

Old
11-18-2005, 10:51 AM
TeamSeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
We wouldn't think you were trying to troll. Thanks for stopping by our board to comment...We don't get very many posters from other teams here. So anyway, thanks for the post and stop by again sometime!
and if someone does stop by all they want to know is what our lines are or when is someone coming back, we arent told jack by the team so they know as much as us most of the time and Lemaire doesnt use the same lines ever so we cant answer those questions either.

But DougKnowsBest post is definitely welcome and encouraged cause he actually added something useful

Old
11-18-2005, 11:42 AM
DougKnowsBest

we'll since you guys are open to a little discussion how bout this question. This is something we kick around every know and again. which is best for an expansion teams long term health.

A. establish a winnig tradition from the begginging, and haveing regular wins, and evan a sucsesful playoff birth.

B. have about a .350 wining precentage, but acqurie many high draft choices

both have their drawbacks. For us we have allowed a loosing mind set to enter the franchise that we are constantly struggling to change. For you guys you have not had the opportunity to draft as many high first rounders. That being said the wild have a lot of draft picks in there lineup.

personaly I dont think there is a right or wrong awnser. As long as we are able to change our climate of defeat, and your lower picks develop better in your climate of succses.

Now getting back to your payroll. It is important I think for expansion teams to grow their payroll slowly. We have had to fast forward ours to try to change the loosing. But I dont think you guys adding a 2.5 mil (not neccesarrily Todd marchant) would be the end of the world. That would put you somewher around 30. And you guys sell out every game, so you know the money is there. Does your GM or owner ever talk about there stradigy to handling the CAP and budget? I wonder if the season ticket holders are starting to get upset with the lack of a big name FA? Mabey I am missing someone but I dont think you guys signed anyone "major" in the offseason. I just wonder if the "honey moon" period is over yet up there. As a Browns fan I understand what its like to have a team ripped away from you. I wonder if your fan base is just so happy to have the team back that they are not pressuring the mngmt. to spend some of that moldy money they are sittin on.

Old
11-18-2005, 05:57 PM
TeamSeals

Id always go with a winning team over better draft picks because the game is played to win and draft picks are never a sure thing. Good talent can always be had in the draft even if you dont have a good spot and for every Rick Nash that comes into the league there is an Alexander Daigle, so winning is more important IMO, even if it doesnt result in championships yet.

Old
11-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16
I honestly don't know the tone of this post? Is it meant to be stern? Sarcastic? The way you said "kid" didn't sound too good. All I wanted to do was get things moving a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSeals
Id always go with a winning team over better draft picks because the game is played to win and draft picks are never a sure thing. Good talent can always be had in the draft even if you dont have a good spot and for every Rick Nash that comes into the league there is an Alexander Daigle, so winning is more important IMO, even if it doesnt result in championships yet.
I agree. I think it's better for the team to have consistently good, winning seasons. It's better for the morale of the players and front office, and the fans will have a much, much easier time getting behind the club. (Minnesota is a unique situation because it's a hockey state, so fans will follow the club regardless of their record.) In general, I don't think casual fans get very excited about draft picks the way that people who read messageboards do. Before this year, I don't think 7/10 Wild fans could tell you who Mikko Koivu was.

Old
11-18-2005, 09:25 PM
DW

On Marchant-I think his contract will make people shy away from him, not his skills.

The answer to how you start a team is in the middle imo. Your going to have to take some lumps in order to develop a team. There is no way solid UFA players will come to any expansion team to be part of a new franchise. Your going to get guys on the fringe or guys that have bounced around some in various leagues and teams, downside of there careers, misfits, etc.

I also don't think that getting hammered every week makes for solid team building. This is where I think the Wild did really well. They had a really good mix of players, solid character guys, role players, and hard workers. Not the most skilled but definitely team devloping kind of players. I think this is where it hurts the Wild playing a defensive style. They would win/tie games that they had no business of being "in". When you start drafting in the teens early, you significantly lessen your chances of drafting franchise type players (Gaborik). Then your drafting guys with some flaws that question whether they will make the next jump. (size, character issues, etc) Bouchard and Burns come to mind, look to be solid players down the line, but are they game-breaking type players? I don't think so pesonally.

In other words, you need to take advantage of your early picks and take your Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk when it comes to you but you need solid players around them to let these guys become franchise players.

Old
11-18-2005, 10:27 PM
vitogor

Quote:
I honestly don't know the tone of this post? Is it meant to be stern? Sarcastic? The way you said "kid" didn't sound too good. All I wanted to do was get things moving a little bit.
I guess I should've put some kind of smiley in there. In HF years, I'm old and you are young. Therefore, I was talking to you like an old fart would talk to a kid. No harm was intended, sorry if it didn't come across the right way.

Old
11-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by #16
I guess I should've put some kind of smiley in there. In HF years, I'm old and you are young. Therefore, I was talking to you like an old fart would talk to a kid. No harm was intended, sorry if it didn't come across the right way.
Naw, that's cool. I kinda figured that was the tone you were going for, but figured I'd ask anyway in case you were really pissed.

Old
11-21-2005, 01:04 PM
The Big E

I think that Marchant would have added nothing we needed. He's fast, but doesn't produce much O. Didn't we get rid of Laaksonen for the same reason? I'm glad he signed for the Ducks. Now they have at least a couple of fast skaters.

As for team building, I think that DB and JL are trying to build a team with a certain style. I don't think they are anywhere near they're goal. Obviously, we've got the defensively responsible part down (have from Day 1 it seems), the difficulty is finding offensively gifted and defensively responsible players who are also fast.

The problem is players who are all three of those things are really expensive and often have massive egos. The risk with bringing in a big ego who, in the end, doesn't fit is the damage he might do to the mindset of the up and coming players. They might see a me-first attitude and follow suit. I just don't see any of that in the Wild locker room now and that's good. JL won't allow it, he's too experienced.

What I would suggest is this: be patient

I personally still hafta watch the Goofers. I usually flip between games if the Wild and Rodents are playing. Plus, I love High School hockey. Its not as if I'm puck deprived.

I think that in a couple of years we'll have the right mix on D. Either Kuba or Burns is going to blossom into a Lidstrom-type D-man (and didn't Lidstrom blossom rather late?)

I think that in a couple of years a couple of our young studs will blossom into real scoring threats. Mikko? O'Sullivan? ...?

At that point, I would consider it worthwhile spending the millions to acquire that last piece of the puzzle. However, that time is not now and likely not this season. I personally don't mind losing. I lived and died, mostly died, by the North Stars before Gary "the Antichrist" Bettman and Norm "the Felcher" Green ripped the team out of MN. I will patiently continuing watching the Wild.

The bottom line is I still see a tremendous upside to this team and am willing to remain patient.

The Big E

Closed Thread