HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Report Card & Biggest Need

View Poll Results: What's our biggest need in the next 12 months?
We still need a big #1 center. Plekanec, Eller & Desharnais can't deal. 26 21.14%
We need a #2 defenseman to play with Markov. We don't know that Emelin is that guy yet. 15 12.20%
Overall, we need more size & sandpaper on defense. Too soft. 19 15.45%
We're fine. We just need a new playing style. *cough* new coach *cough* 13 10.57%
We need a grinder on the 4th line who can deliver some major hits & drop the gloves. 30 24.39%
Other. 20 16.26%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2011, 08:44 AM
  #26
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Other: We need A healthy Cammy, Markov, Kostitsyn, Campoli, Spacek.
I came here to post this. I think only after the team is healthy will we be able to identify the biggest need.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:45 AM
  #27
Franked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
What do we need...

To win the cup or to make the playoffs?

If it's to make the playoffs, health, as others have pointed out, and no more weird slump like we had to start the season. The roster is more than good enough. If it's to be a legitimate contender, I'd say a number one center, making Pleks a luxury as our 2nd line center, would really push us over the edge. But I don't see this happening during the season.

Otherwise, I just hope we keep our second and third round picks this time around and don't try patching things a the trade deadline. Getting back a couple picks would be a nice change, might happen if our defense is healthy.

Franked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
  #28
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Interesting start. I've updated the OP with some new questions.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
  #29
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Why are people talking about a #2 center.


We need a real #1 so Pleks can be our second center, then we'd be in business.
Yes I agree having the 19th best scorer in the league (9th among centers) as you 1st center in dishonoring. Nevermind the fact that he's also the best PKer of the team.

Yeah we really need a ''true'' no1 center. Pleks stats are worthy of a second line center at best.


jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:07 PM
  #30
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Current Habs team

+ Markov and Emelin (permanently)

- Gomez (keeps Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller as top 3 centers)

+ 4th line tough player (Niel, Thornton, Rosehill, Carcillo, maybe Conboy??)

= A complete team with 0 need, period.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
  #31
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
I don't really think we have a major whole in our roster and think we are in pretty damn good shape.

If I had to add something, a physical veteran defensive #2 defenseman would be it.

Adding that to Markov, Subban, Gorges, Weber/Diaz and Emelin would be steller

Markov-????
Subban-Gorges
Weber/Diaz/Emelin

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:23 PM
  #32
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I don't really think we have a major whole in our roster and think we are in pretty damn good shape.

If I had to add something, a physical veteran defensive #2 defenseman would be it.

Adding that to Markov, Subban, Gorges, Weber/Diaz and Emelin would be steller

Markov-????
Subban-Gorges
Weber/Diaz/Emelin
Next year I'm hoping for..

Markov-Emelin/??
Gorges-Subban
Emelin/???-Weber
Diaz

Sobasically you just gotta love all that precious experience our young D's are getting this season due to all the injuries. Switch St.Denis with Markov and I would love our D as it is right now.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:40 PM
  #33
ccgg
Registered User
 
ccgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rimouski
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Next year I'm hoping for..

Markov-Emelin/??
Gorges-Subban
Emelin/???-Weber
Diaz

Sobasically you just gotta love all that precious experience our young D's are getting this season due to all the injuries. Switch St.Denis with Markov and I would love our D as it is right now.
I agree with you, all I hope is the "???" means a physical defensive d-man with leadership like Bryan Allen, François Beauchemin, Tim Gleason... I think with Subban, Weber, Markov and Diaz we have enough offensive d-men.

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:49 PM
  #34
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
I agree with you, all I hope is the "???" means a physical defensive d-man with leadership like Bryan Allen, François Beauchemin, Tim Gleason... I think with Subban, Weber, Markov and Diaz we have enough offensive d-men.
Who knows, since guys like Subban, Weber and Diaz will be in their sophmore seasons or more, maybe Tinordi will be brought in like they did with Cowen in Ottawa.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
  #35
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Who knows, since guys like Subban, Weber and Diaz will be in their sophmore seasons or more, maybe Tinordi will be brought in like they did with Cowen in Ottawa.


Cowen is more complete and was a more NHL ready d-man. Tinordi gonna need a couple of years at AHL to round-up his game.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:12 PM
  #36
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,234
vCash: 500
I'd like to see the Habs add a bottom 6 winger, to push Palushaj down to Hamilton and maybe push Darche down a spot on the depth chart. I'd keep tabs on the waiver wire, try to find the next Begin.

Obviously our D needs help, but hopefully our own injured players start returning soon. It will be difficult to pull the trigger on a trade for a top 4 dman until we see what kind of player Markov is when he returns.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:17 PM
  #37
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'd like to see the Habs add a bottom 6 winger, to push Palushaj down to Hamilton and maybe push Darche down a spot on the depth chart. I'd keep tabs on the waiver wire, try to find the next Begin.

Obviously our D needs help, but hopefully our own injured players start returning soon. It will be difficult to pull the trigger on a trade for a top 4 dman until we see what kind of player Markov is when he returns.
Any NHL D would need help if the forwards don't backcheck.

Against Carolina and the rangers, the Habs forwards played really well and helped their young d-men cope with the flow of the game.

With Markov, Gill, Spacek, Subban, Gorges and Weber, we have a fair enough d-corp. As many others, I would like a guy like Doug Murray or Theo Pecham back there + a stud on the 4th line.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:24 PM
  #38
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Why are people talking about a #2 center.


We need a real #1 so Pleks can be our second center, then we'd be in business.
Plek - tied for 13th in points in the entire league.
Tied for 5th in points for Centers.
What would he have to do for you to consider him a #1 Center ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  #39
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Any NHL D would need help if the forwards don't backcheck.

Against Carolina and the rangers, the Habs forwards played really well and helped their young d-men cope with the flow of the game.

With Markov, Gill, Spacek, Subban, Gorges and Weber, we have a fair enough d-corp. As many others, I would like a guy like Doug Murray or Theo Pecham back there + a stud on the 4th line.
Stud on our 4th line?

With our top 9 entrenched once AK gets back, and once White gets healthy, we'll have 4 capable 4th liners in Moen, Nokia, Darche, and White. I truly think we are set at forward. Everyone healthy:

AK-Plekanec-Cammy
Pacioretty-DD-Cole
Gomez-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Nokia-White
Darche/Palushaj

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  #40
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
Plek - tied for 13th in points in the entire league.
Tied for 5th in points for Centers.
What would he have to do for you to consider him a #1 Center ?
Agree. While Pleks would make an excellent 1B, the bottom line is considering his two way play he's one of the centers in the game.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:40 PM
  #41
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Looks like I'm on side with most here, a tough grinder on the 4th line, but also it would be nice to have a guy who yeah can fight but also net 10 goals a year, can keep up a good forecheck. Saying that our biggest need, not mentioned on the list is obvious, the return of a healthy Markov, who doesn't get reinjured the first time he is hit.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
  #42
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,439
vCash: 500
Agree with others that health is our number-one need at the moment. With health comes a vastly-improved defense, and with that improved defense comes an improved offense on the breakouts and PP.

Now, I'm impressed with the job our young d-men have done in lieu of our regular guys. Diaz and Weber have saved the day by playing much smarter than their experience would've suggested. Emelin is improving and showing flashes of that potential that had us hot and bothered three months ago. Gorges appears fully recovered and very sharp. That said, we're still an erratic offensive team in dire need of an accurate shot or pass from the point. That's where a fully-recovered Markov, Spacek and Campoli will help.

So that's my take on our current roster and how to max-out what we already have: GET HEALTHY. As far as what we DON'T currently have, a realistic upgrade would be a strong 3rd or 4th line forward. Sure, if I'm dreaming I'll imagine getting a first-line scoring machine at center, but that won't happen. Realistically, I can foresee a trade involving (but not limited to) one of our defensemen for a decent forward from a team in need of help on D -- Columbus, Dallas, etc. And no, don't even think of getting Carter.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:22 PM
  #43
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agree with others that health is our number-one need at the moment. With health comes a vastly-improved defense, and with that improved defense comes an improved offense on the breakouts and PP.

Now, I'm impressed with the job our young d-men have done in lieu of our regular guys. Diaz and Weber have saved the day by playing much smarter than their experience would've suggested. Emelin is improving and showing flashes of that potential that had us hot and bothered three months ago. Gorges appears fully recovered and very sharp. That said, we're still an erratic offensive team in dire need of an accurate shot or pass from the point. That's where a fully-recovered Markov, Spacek and Campoli will help.

So that's my take on our current roster and how to max-out what we already have: GET HEALTHY. As far as what we DON'T currently have, a realistic upgrade would be a strong 3rd or 4th line forward. Sure, if I'm dreaming I'll imagine getting a first-line scoring machine at center, but that won't happen. Realistically, I can foresee a trade involving (but not limited to) one of our defensemen for a decent forward from a team in need of help on D -- Columbus, Dallas, etc. And no, don't even think of getting Carter.
How would you line up our defense when everyone's healthy? Markov, Gorges, Subban and Gill are locks. Who plays out of Weber, Campoli, Diaz, Emelin and Spacek considering a mix of past experience, need, performance so far this season, and giving games to youth?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:31 PM
  #44
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Our young D did a great job tonight of smothering the Bruins but tonight was a game where a guy in the mould of Pronger, who can hit, lead and shoot the puck, would have made a tonne of difference. Our D didn't strike fear in the Bruins tonight. That's going to be huge in the playoffs, even after we get our veterans back.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
  #45
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Agree. While Pleks would make an excellent 1B, the bottom line is considering his two way play he's one of the centers in the game.
Even disregarding his two way play, he's still a centre.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:48 PM
  #46
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Amazing to see that most see it as a system and coach issue, not a team make up issue.

The team is talented, it has size where needed with a lot of skill, but the ice management and line combos make no sense.

Martin, the game has passed you.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:04 PM
  #47
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
How would you line up our defense when everyone's healthy? Markov, Gorges, Subban and Gill are locks. Who plays out of Weber, Campoli, Diaz, Emelin and Spacek considering a mix of past experience, need, performance so far this season, and giving games to youth?
It's not the first time people have brought up the inevitable abundance of riches we'll have once all our defensemen are back. Can't keep 'em all, can't trade 'em because we're sure to have another injury and can't put 'em in a cryogenic chamber until needed. The expected: Weber will go back to forward and Emelin and Diaz go back to Hamilton. The less expected: one or two of them (Campoli, Weber, Diaz, St-Denis) becomes part of a trade package for a strong 3rd line forward. The probable: We'll never have to make those decisions because someone will always be injured.

Another thing -- as I'm watching Eric Cole from game to game, I'm coming to realize just how valuable this type of forward really is. No surprise that a power forward would help us, but his ability to charge over the opposing blue line is something we should add to and never be without again. One more like him would be amazing.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:26 PM
  #48
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Even disregarding his two way play, he's still a centre.
haha I've trolled other boards too much that I'm unable to edit!

Meant one of the best centers obviously. A guy who I'd love to pair him with would be Ryan Kesler....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:07 PM
  #49
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
It's not the first time people have brought up the inevitable abundance of riches we'll have once all our defensemen are back. Can't keep 'em all, can't trade 'em because we're sure to have another injury and can't put 'em in a cryogenic chamber until needed. The expected: Weber will go back to forward and Emelin and Diaz go back to Hamilton. The less expected: one or two of them (Campoli, Weber, Diaz, St-Denis) becomes part of a trade package for a strong 3rd line forward. The probable: We'll never have to make those decisions because someone will always be injured.

Another thing -- as I'm watching Eric Cole from game to game, I'm coming to realize just how valuable this type of forward really is. No surprise that a power forward would help us, but his ability to charge over the opposing blue line is something we should add to and never be without again. One more like him would be amazing.
The way Travis Moen is playing, that's exactly what he's doing. Hopefully he can keep doing this consistently from now on. Sometimes he's been so fast driving to the net that I've thought it was Cole. With him, Cole and Pacioretty, we should be set. Plus I'd like to see Moen in a 3rd line role with Eller and AK. That's a dynamite line.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
  #50
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,218
vCash: 500
We desperatly need someone to sit in front of the net and knock in rebounds, screen and tip. Who was the last guy that did this for us?

Once our defense gets healthy it will help but we have zero offensive net pressence on this team. Do we even try and tip shots? Just one aspect of the game that managment completly ignores.

- Shot tipping (Do we even bother?)
- Hitting (who else was like "WTF was that?" when they first saw Emelin throw the body?
- Goalie screening
- Knocking in ugly goals on the doorstep

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.