HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam and Joe....Cheerleaders?

Old
11-18-2011, 03:51 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
I tune these guys out. I hardly hear what they say anymore.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 03:57 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Cmox is right on, these two chuckleheads job consists of meeting with opposing teams PR people and jotting down talking points about the other teams more obscure players that I have absolutely no interest in.

The Ottawa game with the Kaspars Daugauvins show went on for like 10 minutes.

One of my hobbyies is hockey video collection and I have over 1000 game videos dating back as far as 1955.

These guys are horrible. Sam play by play has declined since J.D left. They are just an extension of the PR department now, I gave up on them growing a pair and question anything the rangers do on and off the ice.

We deserve much better.
They will never seriously question anything the Rangers do on and off the ice.

The only guy that had any balls to do that was JD and he had to leave the Org. to get any meaningful job in Hockey.

There was always the "JD would make a good front office guy" but as long as he spoke the ugly truth about the team, he was never going to be considered for the job here in NY

Hire the guy that knows more about the Org. than anyone in the industry? Hell no, not when he spoke ill of the team while broadcasting.

Again, I tune these guys out, but as long as they are paid by the Rangers, you will ALWAYS get cheerleading.

Same with the Islanders, Devils and any team out there.

It is what it is.

Old
11-18-2011, 04:20 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

The only guy that had any balls to do that was JD and he had to leave the Org. to get any meaningful job in Hockey.

There was always the "JD would make a good front office guy" but as long as he spoke the ugly truth about the team, he was never going to be considered for the job here in NY

Hire the guy that knows more about the Org. than anyone in the industry? Hell no, not when he spoke ill of the team while broadcasting.

Again, I tune these guys out, but as long as they are paid by the Rangers, you will ALWAYS get cheerleading.

It is what it is.
Was it suggested anywhere that JD was not considered for positions within the organization because of his broadcasting?

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Sam is crazy neutral to the point where I used to get annoyed how much he praised the other team.
Agree.

And disagree with majority of this thread.

When the Rangers are playing poorly, make mistakes, make stupid plays, Sam, Joe, Maloney, Duguay, LaGreca...they call them out on it. When the opposition is playing well they give them their dues.

When the Rangers play well, they mention that as well.

They're completely objective. And they break down plays well.

At the same time, they're not going to completely insult their employer on the air. They're objective in a respectful manner. They're not Don dip **** Cherry and open their mouths and let any nonsensical drivel spew from their mouth.

I've heard enough telecasts and radio calls where they didn't have much good to say about the Rangers.

Recently they've been playing well and have earned some recognition. Why should Sam and Joe be bashing them when they're on a 7 game winning streak?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
Was it suggested anywhere that JD was not considered for positions within the organization because of his broadcasting?
There were ovetures that part of the reason he was not considered was becuse of his critique of the team.

He would always publically state that he wasn't interested, but you could tell by listenng, he would have been a great addition to any front office.

Old
11-18-2011, 06:39 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Okay. Some of you srsly need to listen to this, haha.

/end thread
I love Jenrette

I wish he was the Rangers goal call guy.

He brings charachter to the craft.

Love the voice, and the names he makes up for guys.

Old
11-18-2011, 06:56 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by _P_ View Post
Has anyone else noticed a change in the way the games are called by Sam and Joe this year? Every single play is a "nice pass" or a "solid bodycheck". I mean almost every play! They are either making excuses why something happened or looking for a feel good story in a simple bodycheck or blocked shot!

It is really starting to effect my enjoyment of the game. I mean I couldn't belive that I actually enjoyed the game on Versus the other night more than an MSG covered game. The announcers called out good plays only when it really was a good play. That was certainly a first for me.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.
If you think Sam and Joe are cheerleaders, you havn't seen some of the other broadcast crews out there. ie: Penguins, Sabres, ect.

Were are very lucky to have these two IMO

11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

It is what it is.
Really need to disagree with the bolded, the old joke when Sam and JD were together during the dark years was the constant...hot goaltender, puck jumped over his stick, puck was rolling on him Sam comments..."the good old day's weren't always good"

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

They're not as bad as A LOT of other team's crews in terms of showing their bias, in my opinion, but they do seem to come up with ways to compliment our guys for the littlest things or invent reasons why a bad play occurred sometimes.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:41 PM
clmetsfan

I agree with the majority who say that Sam and Joe shouldn't be expected to be completely neutral; they're not national broadcast announcers. But it's also true that they're not nearly as biased and over-the-top as guys like Jack Edwards, Rick Jeanneret, or even Chico Resch.

One thing I've also always noticed about Sam is that when the other team scores he gives the call the right about of inflection. Other announcers around the league, when the opposing team scores, just give it a meek "...and he scores," showing their own disappointment. Sam at least sounds excited, just not happy.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Sam is crazy neutral to the point where I used to get annoyed how much he praised the other team.
This. Sam is just doesn't say a bad thing really about either team, but I wouldn't say he's a cheerleader. He gives credit to the other team when they do something well, not just bash the Rangers players for giving up that opportunity.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

My number one criticism of Ranger TV announcers is that they ignore the game half the time and talk about peripheral things, such as where a player comes from or other irrelevant facts to the actual game. And the fault for that lies squarely at the feet of JD and whoever let him get away with it for all those years. Sam & Joe are slightly better about that this year.

But their major announcing fault to me is that they still call giveaways takeaways and don't call the Rangers out for bad plays, praising the other team instead.

Jeanerette and Edwards, etc. are disgraces to broadcasting and only the worst uneducated boob could like them.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
satrabyk

Joe always been like that imo one of the worst colour guys in the game. He offers little insight the average viewer doesent already kno and is one of the most politically correct guys which is annoying for fans. He never said anything but good about Drury who we bought out, goes to show you his value.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:15 AM
district9
w/e

i think i would rather have homers as the announcers. honestly, i like to hear commentary where the guys get excited, or share the emotions of the fans. you ever watch ahl games, minor league baseball, local college broadcasts? those guys are all homers, and i LOVE it.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:17 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by _P_ View Post
Has anyone else noticed a change in the way the games are called by Sam and Joe this year? Every single play is a "nice pass" or a "solid bodycheck". I mean almost every play! They are either making excuses why something happened or looking for a feel good story in a simple bodycheck or blocked shot!

It is really starting to effect my enjoyment of the game. I mean I couldn't belive that I actually enjoyed the game on Versus the other night more than an MSG covered game. The announcers called out good plays only when it really was a good play. That was certainly a first for me.

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.
Micheletti is just atrocious. Worst cheerleader this organization has ever had. Davidson, Messina, Maloney -- sure they had their moments.

But Joe never points out bad plays by the Rangers, and it's getting annoying. How many times will he be like "Oooooh Macdonagh, he's so solid and poised" and then whaaaam, a gross turnover. He doesnt say a peep.

For example, if MDZ makes a horribly bad pass that leads to a 2-on-1, and Girardi dives to stop the cross pass, he will completely ignore the MDZ pass and say "what a play by Girardi".

The MDZ dive the other night was embarrassing to me. It was embarrassing to any hockey fan. Yet there was Joe (as usual) saying ".........wellllllllll, you know Sam, that's borderline" -- or something along those lines.

Sam is like Mel Allen or Ralph Kiner -- he's been doing this so long, that he gets a mulligan. The one thing that I will always give Sam credit for is his tone when an opposing team scores. Sometimes he sounds excited as if he calls for the other team. That's professionalism right there.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:47 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Jeanerette and Edwards, etc. are disgraces to broadcasting and only the worst uneducated boob could like them.
I agreem with the disgrace part. Jeanerette is the worst, most annoying and unlistenable announcer in all of sports. The Yankees team of Susan and Sterling is the worst team to me and I hate Sterlings over the top garbage. I guess I'm just a fan of more intelligent announcers who inject emotion when necassary vs the announcers who lack knowledge and insight so they compensate by being showmen who disgrace the booth they sit in

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Honestly IMO any one who has not lived out of state and has not had to put up with the garbage from the rest of the league has no say in this. I've had center ice since 05 and let me tell you what when I have a string of 6 or 7 games without Sam and Joe, I want to vomit from listening to the rest of the digested garbage that other teams have to offer.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
OverTheCap

I've been bothered by Micheletti's homerism since he took over for JD. He actually isn't as bad this year solely because Staal hasn't played yet. Staal makes a routine defensive play and Micheletti will slobber all over him, "What a play by Staal!"

Micheletti's cheerleading was in full force on Saturday night, though. He kept insisting that Biron's broken strap contributed to that bad second goal he let in, even though Sam pointed out that the strap broke because of the shot. Micheletti was trying so hard to make an excuse for Biron when in fact it was just a really bad goal. Which he eventually admitted, but why couldn't he just admit that from the outset when that's what Sam and the viewers at home recognized almost immediately after the replay? It's like pulling teeth for him to say that someone on the Rangers made a mistake.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I've been bothered by Micheletti's homerism since he took over for JD. He actually isn't as bad this year solely because Staal hasn't played yet. Staal makes a routine defensive play and Micheletti will slobber all over him, "What a play by Staal!"

Micheletti's cheerleading was in full force on Saturday night, though. He kept insisting that Biron's broken strap contributed to that bad second goal he let in, even though Sam pointed out that the strap broke because of the shot. Micheletti was trying so hard to make an excuse for Biron when in fact it was just a really bad goal. Which he eventually admitted, but why couldn't he just admit that from the outset when that's what Sam and the viewers at home recognized almost immediately after the replay? It's like pulling teeth for him to say that someone on the Rangers made a mistake.
This is basically how I feel.

I fully acknowledge that color guys are traditionally homers, and Joe probably isnt as bad as other guys.

That doesnt, however, excuse him from acting like we Rangers fans don't understand the game and it's nuances. I think it's insulting to us as a proud fanbase when he acts the way he did Saturday night. Dont tell us the "power play looks good" even when they not scoring.

Davidson was almost as annoying during the 7-year drought. He always made it seem like the Rangers were on the cusp of winning, or this or that prospect was going to carry the franchise. The difference is that when the Rangers were a competitive/winning team, JD was very critical of the rangers and always pointed out weaknesses.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Marv Albert was fired back in the early 2000's for being critical of the Knicks - when they had every right to be criticized and then some.

You guys can get on your soapboxes and talk about how positive they are throughout the broadcast, but if you had a cush job like that (and a birdbrain like Dolan running the show), where toeing the company line is mandatory, you'd be waxing poetic about how great the Rangers are too.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Yes, good example.

Regardless of what happened with that damn strap, Biron should have been able to stop that shot with no equipment on whatsoever.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
My number one criticism of Ranger TV announcers is that they ignore the game half the time and talk about peripheral things, such as where a player comes from or other irrelevant facts to the actual game. And the fault for that lies squarely at the feet of JD and whoever let him get away with it for all those years. Sam & Joe are slightly better about that this year.

But their major announcing fault to me is that they still call giveaways takeaways and don't call the Rangers out for bad plays, praising the other team instead.

Wow. That wasn't very friendly.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Sam & Joe are fine... I like Sam and I'm okay with Micheletti...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I happen to think it's more obvious this year because the team isn't as ****** as it's been in the past. There are actually more nice passes. More nice shots. More nice everything.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote