HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After 20 games, I think it's safe to say...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2011, 01:10 PM
  #26
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
I agree with this post. After 20 games, it is safe to say that this team is not an ELITE team. I know we can play better: especially DD. When people talk about defense on the kings, despite his offensive abilities, DD is always the topic. He represents our core D. People keep dwelling on the past about how he is a Canadian gold medalist, nominated for this and that, but the fact is that was in the past. Lets talk about NOW.

Us fans need to wake up. This team COULD be so MUCH BETTER. We got dominated by the Sabres, Sharks, RedWings, and the Canucks. We were so bad in certain periods, we don't deserve to win. It saddens me how our fans react at the staples center. I'm definitely excluding you guys on the hfboards, i know you guys are truly dedicated to this team and I am too. But there is just no enthusiasm at the games, fans are not there to be fans. This is why we can't land big players. I'm a sole believer that fans enthusiasm will reflect on a players/team performance. So honestly first order of things that needs to change is the fan base. Come on Kings fan, get aroused and start cheering for your team!!! START SCREAMING GO KINGS GO, get naked, get wild, get drunk, DO WHATEVER, who cares about what others think of you! I wish AEG would reserve a section for HFBoard members in one section so ya'll can cheer for your team/favorite players.

Secondly, you can say coaching is a big problem, and I don't disagree with you. TM is 100 years old and his system isn't what we want, but he is still a respectable coach in the NHL. The guy has proven to be successful so why not stick with his plan for another 60+ games. The true problem in my opinion is our PP. No excuse for us to suck on the PP. My question is why the hell are Hunter and Moreau doing on our PP? Get those lackluster players out of the PP system and put in someone like Lotki. Come on Kompon, if you're reading this stop screwing around with the system chemistry **** and put players that have the ability to score goals for us.

Overall, if we want to be considered to be an elite team, we need to start with consistency first. We need to beat teams like SJ, Van, and DET.
I don't know if you were at the playoffs last year but I can't imagine a louder building when the Kings tied it up in the 3rd period of game 6.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
  #27
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,290
vCash: 500
How many times have we heard "anything can happen" or "be patient - a lot can happen", etc?

(I only went back 10 seasons,but) the last 10 Stanley Cup champions finished no lower than 4th in their conference in the regular season.

When are the Kings going to stop depending on some bizarre run of luck to succeed? When are they going to change to slogan from "The Time is Now" to "Hey, Anything Can Happen"?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
  #28
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
I, personally, am concerned with a couple areas of the Kings game (mainly finishing scoring chances) but am not worried about this team finding itself at some point this season. Everyone just needs to take a chill pill and wait and see what happens.
How about generating more quality chances? Limited chances = limited goals. The goal should be to generate as many quality chances as possible, not to expect the players to score on a higher percentages of their chances.

Losers wait for their chances and winners take their chances.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
  #29
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Secondly, you can say coaching is a big problem, and I don't disagree with you. TM is 100 years old and his system isn't what we want, but he is still a respectable coach in the NHL. The guy has proven to be successful so why not stick with his plan for another 60+ games.
What is this success, post-lockout, that you speak of? The Kings are a bottom 5 offense since he took over. I would be happy if he could at least get them to average.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
The true problem in my opinion is our PP. No excuse for us to suck on the PP. My question is why the hell are Hunter and Moreau doing on our PP? Get those lackluster players out of the PP system and put in someone like Lotki. Come on Kompon, if you're reading this stop screwing around with the system chemistry **** and put players that have the ability to score goals for us.
The PP is 9th in the league. And special teams have zero correlation to post season success. 5-on-5 is where the Kings need to improve. You never know how many PP chances you will get in a game and to rely on it for the offense is a recipe for a bad offense.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
  #30
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
How many times have we heard "anything can happen" or "be patient - a lot can happen", etc?

(I only went back 10 seasons,but) the last 10 Stanley Cup champions finished no lower than 4th in their conference in the regular season.

When are the Kings going to stop depending on some bizarre run of luck to succeed? When are they going to change to slogan from "The Time is Now" to "Hey, Anything Can Happen"?
The season ends in April. Why are you suggesting the Kings are reliant upon a string of luck to finish 4th or better by then? Maybe you guys know something I dont. I guess I should just tune out now and save myself the trouble. You guys can go ahead an join me since it is clear as day... right?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:47 PM
  #31
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,251
vCash: 500
What's funny is that the Kings are only four points behind the best team in the Conference and have only two less points than the best team in the East. Here's a newsflash, elite teams or dynasties no longer exist in the NHL. Not a single team has won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the post lockout NHL and the only two clubs to appear in the Cup Finals in two consecutive years was Detroit and Pittsburgh.

And I don't think this team has played their best hockey quite yet. The failure of the team to get any offensive contribution from anyone on their bottom six is what is preventing this team from finding more success.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
  #32
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What's funny is that the Kings are only four points behind the best team in the Conference and have only two less points than the best team in the East. Here's a newsflash, elite teams or dynasties no longer exist in the NHL. Not a single team has won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the post lockout NHL and the only two clubs to appear in the Cup Finals in two consecutive years was Detroit and Pittsburgh.

And I don't think this team has played their best hockey quite yet. The failure of the team to get any offensive contribution from anyone on their bottom six is what is preventing this team from finding more success.
Hey man, get out of here with that nonsense. This is the place where we criticize the team for not bringing us the Cup in November!

It seems like everyone here has it all figured out (as they do every year) so why do you guys even bother watching? I really don't get it.

I got news for all you clowns. The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup THIS year!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:55 PM
  #33
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
How many times have we heard "anything can happen" or "be patient - a lot can happen", etc?

(I only went back 10 seasons,but) the last 10 Stanley Cup champions finished no lower than 4th in their conference in the regular season.

When are the Kings going to stop depending on some bizarre run of luck to succeed? When are they going to change to slogan from "The Time is Now" to "Hey, Anything Can Happen"?
Great post, and this is exactly my point. I'm not saying the Kings won't make the playoffs (even though from what I've seen thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't) or that they put up a good fight in the first round...I'm saying this was supposed to be the year they turn the corner and be one of the top teams in the west.

Well after 20 games, they are NOT that team. They are basically only as competitive as the team we've seen the last two years. So yeah, that's not acceptable!

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
  #34
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
20 gamies in

the good: there's maybe two elite teams SJ and Chicago

the bad: our offense is putrid and i don't see it turning around.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
  #35
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Other than wishful thinking, what indications are there that they ever will be?
Granted it is indeed wishful thinking. However I'm looking at personnel. I think the toughest needs to fill are top 4 defensemen, top line players and a solid goalie.

The Kings are set with Kopi and Richards down the middle. Doughty, who i'm assuming will get his head out of his arse sooner or later, with Johnson are top line players (despite JJ's +/-). Scuderi and Mitchell are solid. Quick is solid enough. The Kings are hurting from a lack of scoring/offensive pressure from their bottom lines which IMO is much, much easier to fill than needing to acquire another kopi or richards.

Moreau nor hunter are 3rd line material yet the Kings will be dressing both next game. The Kings need a solid checking line so they can relieve Kopi of his shutting down the opponents top line BS.

Penner quite frankly has been a bust. The Kings need another top 6 scoring winger and a major overhaul to their bottom 6. Other than that I can't really see why the Kings can't move into the elite status once these are addressed.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:13 PM
  #36
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Great post, and this is exactly my point. I'm not saying the Kings won't make the playoffs (even though from what I've seen thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't) or that they put up a good fight in the first round...I'm saying this was supposed to be the year they turn the corner and be one of the top teams in the west.

Well after 20 games, they are NOT that team. They are basically only as competitive as the team we've seen the last two years. So yeah, that's not acceptable!
Ok well, talk to us in another 62 games when it really matters.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
  #37
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Granted it is indeed wishful thinking. However I'm looking at personnel. I think the toughest needs to fill are top 4 defensemen, top line players and a solid goalie.

The Kings are set with Kopi and Richards down the middle. Doughty, who i'm assuming will get his head out of his arse sooner or later, with Johnson are top line players (despite JJ's +/-). Scuderi and Mitchell are solid. Quick is solid enough. The Kings are hurting from a lack of scoring/offensive pressure from their bottom lines which IMO is much, much easier to fill than needing to acquire another kopi or richards.

Moreau nor hunter are 3rd line material yet the Kings will be dressing both next game. The Kings need a solid checking line so they can relieve Kopi of his shutting down the opponents top line BS.

Penner quite frankly has been a bust. The Kings need another top 6 scoring winger and a major overhaul to their bottom 6. Other than that I can't really see why the Kings can't move into the elite status once these are addressed.
Exactly what I was just going to write but didn't bother to type it out. The Kings biggest problems are the bottom 6 and their coach. Both of those are a lot easier to fix than acquiring two top 6 centers, a #1 and #2 dman and a #1 goalie.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:19 PM
  #38
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
There are two things this team lacks. Only two.

One is a scoring LW. I just can't trust Penner anymore. Will he break out of his slump sooner or later? Probably. But as of right now we can't rely on him as a scoring option.

The second, and most important thing, is secondary scoring. The first and second lines have been fine, Kopi and Richards have both been spectacular, and Gags, Willy, and Brown (yes, Brown, although he has struggled a bit here) all deserve credit for that. I like our fourth line now with Moreau, Fraser, and Lewis, they will chip in here and there. But one thing that has to be helped (common, Deano) is that third line. Clifford, Stoll, Richardson/Hunter. That is one third of a third line right there. How can you blame Stoll (yes, he sucks on the PP, but that's totally different)? He's playing with one guy with zero confidence and Richy/Hunter, who can't put the puck in the back of the net to save their lives (sorry, TM, Hunter's "heavy shot" isn't enough for me). Teams can take that third line lightly now, and until it gets its identity back, the scoring will be a big problem.

To help that, Martinez for a guy like Clarkson would be a great move. I'm looking at you, Deano.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:24 PM
  #39
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What's funny is that the Kings are only four points behind the best team in the Conference and have only two less points than the best team in the East. Here's a newsflash, elite teams or dynasties no longer exist in the NHL. Not a single team has won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the post lockout NHL and the only two clubs to appear in the Cup Finals in two consecutive years was Detroit and Pittsburgh.

And I don't think this team has played their best hockey quite yet. The failure of the team to get any offensive contribution from anyone on their bottom six is what is preventing this team from finding more success.


Right!?


The team has issues but holy **** the sky isn't falling. We're damn 20 games in.



Oh and fyi. The best team in the West, Minnesota, we curb stomped them.


EVERYONE RUN AROUND REAL FAST AND CELEBRATE OUR l33Tness

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:33 PM
  #40
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
well same procedure like every year........

we are just 10 games in........
we are just 20 games in......
hey, it's still 40 games to play.....
we will be cinsistant over the last 20 games.....
10 games left and we could reach the 8th seed....
phewwww we clinched playoff 2 games before end at 7th place.


What is it what make you guys think something will change ????
We are not an elite team doesn't matter who is playing for us.
We are build not to lose instead to win
We have a hard working and not a winning mentality
Other teams doing the little things right too.

This won't change as long as same people comand this ship

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:43 PM
  #41
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,077
vCash: 500
This is the way it's going to be all year guys, lots of 2-1 and 3-2 shootout wins. The Kings are going to struggle to score goals with the personnel on this team.

This strategy worked out somewhat well last season, but the margin for error is tiny.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
  #42
Axl Rhoadz*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Ok well, talk to us in another 62 games when it really matters.

Sorry, I thought that's what a message board is all about...sharing/posting comments about a particular interest. Maybe we can get the whole thing shut down until April? Great idea...

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:22 PM
  #43
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Sorry, I thought that's what a message board is all about...sharing/posting comments about a particular interest. Maybe we can get the whole thing shut down until April? Great idea...
No problem with sharing thoughts. But expect them to get argued. Especially one that is as premature as yours.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:26 PM
  #44
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I agree that the standings and point percentage changes throughout the course of the season and with the bonus point games there is a perception that everyone is still in it.

Yes, we are only 20 games into the season, but the offense is the same that it has been for Murray’s entire tenure with the Kings. Why does everyone expect that to change over the course of the next 62 games when the average for the last 266 games is exactly where the Kings sit today, near the bottom of the league? I would feel more confident if the Kings were sitting closer to the top 10 than they are now at 24th. What are people seeing that leads them to believe another player or two is the difference? Wasn’t the problem that the Kings didn’t have a number 2 center or enough top 6 wingers? They now have 2 of the best centers in the league and 4 wingers that have scored 30+ goals in the NHL.

Now the problem is the bottom six? Really? How many more players are we going to give Murray before the offense is more consistent?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
  #45
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
No problem with sharing thoughts. But expect them to get argued. Especially one that is as premature as yours.
266 games of below average offense is premature? That is how long Murray has had to improve the offense and the Kings currently sit 24th in offense.

I don't think anyone believes the Kings will miss the playoffs, but without a top offense there isn't much chance of success in the playoffs. That is what the expectations should be, not scratching to get in, but entering the playoffs with a top offense and defense that lasted for 82 games.

Expecting the team to get "hot" at the right time never works. Only Edmonton has had it happen since the lockout. 1 out of 12 finalists. I don't like those odds; I would rather be in the 11 of 12 teams that had a top 10 offense.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
  #46
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
didn't you guys hear DL doesnt want to win the cup with offense, he wants to play dirty grind it out hockey and score ugly goals.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
  #47
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Hey man, get out of here with that nonsense. This is the place where we criticize the team for not bringing us the Cup in November!

It seems like everyone here has it all figured out (as they do every year) so why do you guys even bother watching? I really don't get it.

I got news for all you clowns. The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup THIS year!
I'm not saying lets bury our heads in the sand and ignore the teams problems but YES, it is a very real possibility that this team can win when it matters most and some people just can't see that.

I think what breeds so much animosity between the skeptics and optimists is that everyone speaks with so much certainty around here. Like they know something you don't.

Again, tides shift many times throughtout the course of a season and the most important thing above ANYTHING ELSE is that your team is peaking going into the playoffs. Everything else is just warm-ups.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:43 PM
  #48
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
didn't you guys hear DL doesnt want to win the cup with offense, he wants to play dirty grind it out hockey and score ugly goals.
Link for that?

He believes in building from the back to the front, but I don't think he ever said he doesn't want offense. You don't trade for Penner and Richards and sign Gagne to not increase the offense.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:44 PM
  #49
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,925
vCash: 500
The team that wins the cup most of the time gets key scoring and momentum from the 3rd and 4th lines...The Ducks had it in Moen-Pahlson-Rob Neid's.....Kings have 3 goals in the bottom 6 forwards between Clifford, Stoll, Hunter, Richardson, Lewis, Fraser, Moreau and Westgarth. Not acceptable.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:55 PM
  #50
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
The team that wins the cup most of the time gets key scoring and momentum from the 3rd and 4th lines...The Ducks had it in Moen-Pahlson-Rob Neid's.....Kings have 3 goals in the bottom 6 forwards between Clifford, Stoll, Hunter, Richardson, Lewis, Fraser, Moreau and Westgarth. Not acceptable.
How are these bottom six players supposed to score when they are along the boards recovering pucks to get back to the defensemen? Low risk, low reward offense for the past 3+ years and it doesn't matter who you put into the bottom six, they aren't going to score with the few chances that they get.

The bottom six need to spend more time in the middle of the offensive zone, but they don't because it's a risky place for turnovers and Murray hates turnovers. So they play it safe along the boards and back to the points. Kopitar and Richards can and do take more chances because of their skill level, but Murray doesn't want that from his bottom 6 players. He wants the safe play all the time. Imagine if Richardson or Lewis tried to make a risky play and it was turned over for a scoring chances against? They would be benched or sat the next game.

What if Scurdei had turned the puck over before Kopitar was able to score the winning goal against the Ducks? What if that turnover turned into a 2-on-1 against the Kings and the Ducks scored and won the game? Would people be happy that Scuderi was pushing the play or would people be asking why he took that risk in a tie game?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.