HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey pants help: someone who's tall and thin

Old
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Hockey pants help: someone who's tall and thin

i've been playing hockey for 12 years of my life, and i've always had trouble with finding the right pants.

my problem is i'm very tall, but i'm pretty thin. I'm 6'5'' 195lbs. my waist is a 34".

i've always used bauer, and right now i'm using the one40s that fit to my liking form wise, but are still too short.

any suggestions for pants that may run a bit longer? anyone else have a similar problem?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tackla Air 9000s with +2" option, 48 if you like them snug or 50 if you like them loose.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:40 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Tackla Air 9000s with +2" option, 48 if you like them snug or 50 if you like them loose.
thanks!

where can i find them? anywhere online?

Old
11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Stickmata

I'm 6'1"/170, 32" waist. I wear the Tackla 951's in a size 50 plus 2". Love them.

Took a lot of hunting to find +2's and honestly I can't remember where I got em. My son is 12 with a similar problem and I had to order from a shop in Canada to find a model that offered longs in a Junior size. Can't remember where though.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:47 PM
AIREAYE

Some models, such as the One75 iirc or the One80 have a 'Long' option. It's just a matter of contacting your LHS as asking them to order those in for you from Bauer. Another option aside from the ones mentioned are custom Warrior pants with long option. Pricier but you're guaranteed to get them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:55 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Some models, such as the One75 iirc or the One80 have a 'Long' option. It's just a matter of contacting your LHS as asking them to order those in for you from Bauer. Another option aside from the ones mentioned are custom Warrior pants with long option. Pricier but you're guaranteed to get them.
Or just live with a bit wider of a pant and you'll avoid the breakin time

the Bauer Vapor off the bat seems to be longer and more tapered..
I'm 6" 190 w/ a 33" waist, and most large are the right length but too wide, to the point where the laces don't do anything...
as long as the belt works I also find this to be comfortable as there is more room and more air

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:40 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Or just live with a bit wider of a pant and you'll avoid the breakin time

the Bauer Vapor off the bat seems to be longer and more tapered..
I'm 6" 190 w/ a 33" waist, and most large are the right length but too wide, to the point where the laces don't do anything...
as long as the belt works I also find this to be comfortable as there is more room and more air
i had the x:60 pants and they were about the same length as my current one40s, except a bit more tapered.

Old
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
rwr

im 6" about 180 i wear easton eq 50's this year size M ... i think they fit pretty good

rwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i've been playing hockey for 12 years of my life, and i've always had trouble with finding the right pants.

my problem is i'm very tall, but i'm pretty thin. I'm 6'5'' 195lbs. my waist is a 34".

i've always used bauer, and right now i'm using the one40s that fit to my liking form wise, but are still too short.

any suggestions for pants that may run a bit longer? anyone else have a similar problem?
I'm 6'2" 175 lbs with a 33" waist.

Tackla Air 9000's in a 50 Long would fit you perfect if you have the $$ and don't mind a slightly bulkier/heavier pro level protection pant. They are actually a hair long on me and on the bigger side so they should fit you perfect. I could actually have gotten away with a regular length as I don't wear my pants that high. I paid $165 I think. I think the 48's are going to be too small for you in the waist and even in the length in a 48L. There is a local store that had them shipped to me so maybe they could do the same. It's delval hockey.

Bauer Medium Tall is another option. I was in Bauer ONE80's($100) before this and they fit very similar to the Tackla 9000 50L. I only upgraded because I have the boniest hip bones known to man and needed more protection in the hip area. I wore them 5x and still have them if you're interested.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I'm 6'1"/170, 32" waist. I wear the Tackla 951's in a size 50 plus 2". Love them.

Took a lot of hunting to find +2's and honestly I can't remember where I got em. My son is 12 with a similar problem and I had to order from a shop in Canada to find a model that offered longs in a Junior size. Can't remember where though.
Do you find the 50L are a hair long at your height or is it just me?

Old
11-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Do you find the 50L are a hair long at your height or is it just me?
No, they're perfect or even a hair short, but I have long femurs. I was 6'2" before badly breaking my right femur and losing about 1/2" in that leg, so I'm actually a little taller than 6'1".

I can't recommend the Tackla 951s enough for anyone not playing full contact. Really love these pants.

BTW, if anyone would like a pair of the top of the line Tackla 5000X Pro pants in a 50 Regular, I have a brand new pair (worn twice) that are too short for me. Paid full retail (close to $200) for them and I would give them away cheap just to get them out of my garage. These are the super stout pro level two piece pant, with the thick padding and heavyweight shell. Note, these fit a little tighter than the 951s, so a 50 in these is really for a 31-33 waist.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:26 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:

If you are looking for pants that are a bit longer, you could check out some of the upper end Bauer Supreme pants (i.e. One80 and TotalOne) that come in "tall" models in both small and medium. The "tall" option states that it's +1" in the inseam. Here's a link to check out: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BT1P

Another possibility is to go through PSHG (www.prostockhockeygear.com) to order custom pants (Easton S13's or ST16's), which can be customized in the +2" in length. Here's a link for you to check out: http://www.prostockhockeygear.com/Ea...nt_p_1057.html

Hopefully this is helpful!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Guffaw

orange is better

I just noticed that you're local. If you want to check out those pants let me know.

Bauer ONE80-$100 retail
Medium Tall
Color-Black
Worn approx. 5times

I would cut you a nice deal if you wanted them. I hate to see brand new equipment sitting in my house

Old
11-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
No, they're perfect or even a hair short, but I have long femurs. I was 6'2" before badly breaking my right femur and losing about 1/2" in that leg, so I'm actually a little taller than 6'1".

Wow. Maybe I'm just used to wearing pants that are too small or I wear my pants higher. Oh well, they protect the top of my knee/lower femur better when the knee is bent so all good.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:42 AM
toddmanley

I've got to chime in, but you've already received some great advice. I'm 6'9" and thin too (210 lbs). Last summer I spent about 2 hours at the largest LHS in the area with the most selection trying on all the different tall options. I took a marker and measured how long each different pant came down on my leg. I tried all the tall option pants in the store: Reebok, Bauer, Easton & Tackla. The longest were the +2" Tackla's...a solid choice which I've really enjoyed using so far.

I recently found out that Tackla's girdle (http://www.hockeygear.com/tactgbrprose.html) and shells (http://www.hockeygear.com/tactgs60brse.html) also comes in a tall version; I thought this might have been a misprint, so I called the retailer. He confirmed that indeed these do come in tall sizes. I might give this a try after my pants bite the bullet.

toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
noobman

Quote:
You ******.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
I've got to chime in, but you've already received some great advice. I'm 6'9" and thin too (210 lbs). Last summer I spent about 2 hours at the largest LHS in the area with the most selection trying on all the different tall options. I took a marker and measured how long each different pant came down on my leg. I tried all the tall option pants in the store: Reebok, Bauer, Easton & Tackla. The longest were the +2" Tackla's...a solid choice which I've really enjoyed using so far.

I recently found out that Tackla's girdle (http://www.hockeygear.com/tactgbrprose.html) and shells (http://www.hockeygear.com/tactgs60brse.html) also comes in a tall version; I thought this might have been a misprint, so I called the retailer. He confirmed that indeed these do come in tall sizes. I might give this a try after my pants bite the bullet.
What size and model tacklas did you end up going with?

Old
11-27-2011, 02:27 AM
toddmanley

I went with the 54's, but if I had to do it again I would have tried on the 52's just to see how they felt; my LHS didn't have the 52's in stock.

toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
jazzykat

Are there postings anywhere for actual inseam lengths of hockey pants? While I am definitely beefy, my waist line continues to shrink and I do have very long legs for my height. I can wear easton 85s L now and they are the perfect length but my waist size is quickly approaching the need for medium (e.g. swim in the larges). Does anyone know if the 11k pant with the inch extension zipper is comparable (there are no 11ks around at a LHS to buy or try).

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 08:56 PM
AIREAYE

Comparable to what?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:28 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Comparable to what?
The inseam/length of an Easton 85s in size Large vs. inseam/length of Reebok 11k (with the extension zipper opened to add an extra inch of length) in size Medium.

Old
01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
flyers10

The 85S Longs will be a bit longer the the 11Ks. I bought M 85s Longs but needed bit wider to switched to the Large. Was a teeny bit more length in the large compared to medium but not much. You could get suspenders and not have to buy new pants. Try the 85S Long in M, the Tackla 9000 +2 or find some prostock +2 pants. Prostocks do tend to run bigger in the waist than retail.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:35 AM
TieClark

I have the same problem.. I had to use the strap from my old pants and do a double strap basically to get them tight enough. It works though.

TieClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:26 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
The 85S Longs will be a bit longer the the 11Ks. I bought M 85s Longs but needed bit wider to switched to the Large. Was a teeny bit more length in the large compared to medium but not much. You could get suspenders and not have to buy new pants. Try the 85S Long in M, the Tackla 9000 +2 or find some prostock +2 pants. Prostocks do tend to run bigger in the waist than retail.
I'm using 85S Large (regular length) and the inseam is excellent, I wear suspenders anyway to keep my shoulder pads from riding up. The fit on the waist isn't as much the issue as getting maximum protection. I block shots and want to reduce welts.