HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jurco

Old
11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
well he was inconsistent. Not nearly as bad as some here have made it out to be. Invisible during Q finals, dominant in mem cup finals.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I'm a big fan of this kid. He's like the anti-Shremp. He said, yeah, I can do crazy tricks with the puck... but that doesn't win games. Stop bothering me about it. Let me show you the other stuff I can do instead.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:30 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syuk Dat View Post
I'm a big fan of this kid. He's like the anti-Shremp. He said, yeah, I can do crazy tricks with the puck... but that doesn't win games. Stop bothering me about it. Let me show you the other stuff I can do instead.
yeah, I follow Detroit's drafting because they usually find stars in the late rounds...

But when they picked Jurco, I did a quick search and was like, "Geez, I hope they didn't pick this kid because of that circus act..."

Turns out the kid has all the tools, size and mental toughness/determination to become a star. He's the real deal.

Not sure how HF writers ranked this kid 7.5 D, he should be 8.5 A++ to 9.0, at the very least.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
yeah, I follow Detroit's drafting because they usually find stars in the late rounds...

But when they picked Jurco, I did a quick search and was like, "Geez, I hope they didn't pick this kid because of that circus act..."

Turns out the kid has all the tools, size and mental toughness/determination to become a star. He's the real deal.

Not sure how HF writers ranked this kid 7.5 D, he should be 8.5 A++, at the very least.
*sigh*

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
YARR123

Quote:

Not sure how HF writers ranked this kid 7.5 D, he should be 8.5 A++ to 9.0, at the very least.

because they don't think he's the next Pavel Bure or Joe Sakic?

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
ponder

Quote:

From HF's website:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

9.0 = Ilya Kovalchuk, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal level player
8.0 = Patrick Marleau, Jason Spezza, Mike Richards level player
A = All but guaranteed to reach potential - 100 percent metaphysical certitude that the player will play up to his abilities as noted by his potential rating

And 8.5 to 9.0 A would be a player who is an absolute, stone cold lock to become a franchise player, and that CLEARLY does not describe Jurco. I do think with how he's looked this year that he could be upgraded from a 7.5D to maybe a 7.5C or 8.0C, but he's nowhere close to what you're suggesting. At the absolute best he's the 2nd best prospect on his team (behind Huberdeau), though I think most would put him behind Philips and Beaulieu as well. Are all of these guys like 9.0 A to 9.5 As then?

Also, from the way you've written your post I'm guessing you haven't watched a single Sea Dogs game ever.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:15 PM
HTT3*

Bookmarked this thread so I can bump it in a few years when Jurco is tearing it up in the NHL, and to point out how bad HF hockey "writers" really are.

Datsyuk's replacement is kicking *** and taking names.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I personally had a lot to do with that ranking for Jurco.

According to my notes, I've seen him play around half a dozen times in the past two years. I've also talked to Saint John's assistant coach, Greg Leland as well as a handful of scouts (both on the record and off) about Jurco (some of that content can be found here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/).

My own opinion of the player mirror those presented by his coach and the scouts I talked to. In fact, I'll definitely admit my own opinion was influenced by those I talked to.

Jurco has plenty of skill, but he needs to round out his game, ideally get stronger and upgrade his skating, improve his play without the puck both in the offensive zone and in his own end and he definitely needed work on his consistency.

There's been more consistent effort and focus this season from him, both shift-to-shift and game-to-game. The rating that you feel is incorrect was made before this season began. In fact, I believe I submitted the suggestion shortly after the draft.

My thought process was that he had the ability to be a top six scoring forward (maybe not a star player/leading scorer type), but he had significant steps in his path to take. The 7.5 represents the top six potential, the D represents the path that he needs to take.

It's more than likely that he'll be moved to a 7.5C in the spring. Perhaps even better than that. But I don't think he's a sure thing at this point by any stretch of the imagination.

I think calling him Datsyuk's replacement at this point is unfair expectations to place on an 18-year-old. I also don't think he's going to be the type of dominant two-way star type that Datsyuk embodies.

I'm perfectly willing to accept my lumps if in seven years time, when Jurco is in his peak, he's putting up 90-point seasons and winning Selkes. Datsyuk is an extremely special player and that's a risk I'm more than willing to take.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Anchor Town

Appreciate your input, hopefully the kid continues to improve like he has so far this season. Besides having a more consistent effort and better production, what else have you noticed him improving upon since last year?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:31 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

HTT3, you're implying Jurco is better than Huberdeau which is categorically untrue.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I personally had a lot to do with that ranking for Jurco.

According to my notes, I've seen him play around half a dozen times in the past two years. I've also talked to Saint John's assistant coach, Greg Leland as well as a handful of scouts (both on the record and off) about Jurco (some of that content can be found here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/).

My own opinion of the player mirror those presented by his coach and the scouts I talked to. In fact, I'll definitely admit my own opinion was influenced by those I talked to.

Jurco has plenty of skill, but he needs to round out his game, ideally get stronger and upgrade his skating, improve his play without the puck both in the offensive zone and in his own end and he definitely needed work on his consistency.

There's been more consistent effort and focus this season from him, both shift-to-shift and game-to-game. The rating that you feel is incorrect was made before this season began. In fact, I believe I submitted the suggestion shortly after the draft.

My thought process was that he had the ability to be a top six scoring forward (maybe not a star player/leading scorer type), but he had significant steps in his path to take. The 7.5 represents the top six potential, the D represents the path that he needs to take.

It's more than likely that he'll be moved to a 7.5C in the spring. Perhaps even better than that. But I don't think he's a sure thing at this point by any stretch of the imagination.

I think calling him Datsyuk's replacement at this point is unfair expectations to place on an 18-year-old. I also don't think he's going to be the type of dominant two-way star type that Datsyuk embodies.

I'm perfectly willing to accept my lumps if in seven years time, when Jurco is in his peak, he's putting up 90-point seasons and winning Selkes. Datsyuk is an extremely special player and that's a risk I'm more than willing to take.
100% reasonable. As I said before, I think your rating was pretty spot on before this season, and if he can keep this up then raising it to a 7.5 C or even 8.0 C would make sense. He's a nice prospect for the Wings, but definitely hasn't shown enough yet to be considered a true blue-chipper.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Jurco was out of the line-up last night, not injured I hope??

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:27 AM
torontosports10

Was injured in Bathurst on Sunday. Said to have been a hip flexor.

So now we are without :

Huberdeau (broken foot, probably out till January)
Gailev (broken wrist, just had surgery, out till mid January)
Jurco(Hip flexor, day to day)
Kelly(possible concussion, who knows)

And Tesink just came back. Man this year is hurting.

torontosports10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:38 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Bookmarked this thread so I can bump it in a few years when Jurco is tearing it up in the NHL, and to point out how bad HF hockey "writers" really are.
And to prove that people should believe what you say, you say that Jurco should be a 8.5A+++ at the very least

You should get a medal!

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:33 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontosports10 View Post
Was injured in Bathurst on Sunday. Said to have been a hip flexor.

So now we are without :

Huberdeau (broken foot, probably out till January)
Gailev (broken wrist, just had surgery, out till mid January)
Jurco(Hip flexor, day to day)
Kelly(possible concussion, who knows)

And Tesink just came back. Man this year is hurting.
Phillips carrying!

Old
11-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Jurco must not have been too badly hurt, as he returned tonight.

Scored a goal, his 17th, and extended his point streak to 8 games.

Old
11-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Scoutguy77

Jurco, absolutely zero grit tonight, love his skill, refuses to compete, wil be astud in a Euro league, have watched his act to much oi be a believer..

Scoutguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
Jurco, absolutely zero grit tonight, love his skill, refuses to compete, wil be astud in a Euro league, have watched his act to much oi be a believer..
Johan Franzen?

Jurco is 18, and won't be in the NHL for years, I'm happy to let him try to add 'compete and grit' to his skill.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
You really dislike this guy huh?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:43 AM
torontosports10

He does. And all the talk from the scouts is about how he has been competing more, and working on a 2-way game more.

torontosports10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

He has grit when it counts (e.g. mem cup) that or those other teams were just soft

Old
11-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Reddaye

No points yesterday against Cape Breton. Didn't see the game to tell how well he played though.

Detroit picked up a very good player, especially for a second round pick. I dunno if I'd call him the next Datsyuk, but he's got a lot of skill. Round out his game a bit more, get a bit better with his skating...the offensive tools are all there.

You can bet the Wings will move him up through their system at a reasonable pace, and help develop his game. They're very good with their prospects, and with Jurco they've already got a great player to work with. Even though I'm not a Wings fan; I'm excited to see him play in the NHL and take it to the next level.

...hopefully after another Memorial Cup this year.

Reddaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Filppula
Jurks

2 goals for Jurco tonight despite the fact the Sea Dogs lost 8-3. Good compete level in a blowout lacrosseguy...

Jurco is now 8th in goals (19), despite playing 3 less games than anyone above him.

Old
12-11-2011, 04:25 AM
slovakiasnextone

A 4 point night for Jurčo yesterday- 1G+3A.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Filppula
Jurks

44 points in 29 games, he's going to destroy his previous career highs.

Really exciting prospect!