HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are dead last in Shots on Goal so far

Old
11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
agreed...taking shots is a problem right now

outside of gaborik, cally, richards, and stepan most of the team is averaging ~1 shot per game

thats unacceptable

last year dubi, boyle, and AA were all averaging ~2.5 shots a game and i think thats where our lack of shots is most prevelant

17 games:
dubi - 24
boyle - 25
AA - 23

over 82 games:
dubi - 115 (87 less than last year)
boyle - 120 (98 less than last year)
AA - 110 (80 less than last year)

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:12 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
It's just that its now become a trend. Even though it's only been a few games, you could probably count the amount of games the Rangers outshot the other team on one hand.

This cannot continue.
Here's how I view the team.

Take last year's team (limit the GA and you'll be competitive in most games) and add a better PP and the team is right there. Richards was supposed to add to the PP production. Is he enough?

The hope is that Boyle, Dubi, Anisimov, can up their offensive game a bit otherwise the team takes a step back.

On defense, the team misses Staal. There is little proven offensive talent on the back line. We can talk about potential but it currently isn't showing through.

The team needs to focus and hit the net a bit more but my guess is what you see is what you got. I believe The Rangers are a reasonable middle of the pack playoff team based solely on their defensive style. The PP will dictate how far they can go.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Maybe the fans who scream "shoot" are on to something?
Sarcasm aside I think the Rangers really do need to shoot the puck more sometimes. I know shots are about quality as well as quantity and you can't just fire every time the fat lug in 409 tells you to. But I have seen plenty of examples this year of the Rangers foregoing a quality shot for a not so quality pass. It seems like they're looking for perfect play, which is an issue we've had for awhile now.

This is one issue I had with the Richards singing. He's a very good player who has helped and will help our offense. But he does bring the same sort of mentality of setting up the perfect play. What the Rangers are missing is more of a shoot first and ask questions later mentality. Richards is a good pick up, but he's not gonna fill that void.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sarcasm is not your forte.
Im not talking about the (bad) Del Zotto joke. Im trying to find a point when you originally said this:

Quote:
We probably miss the net most in the league.
Not sure if thats an excuse, an observation that seems to be wrong, or what.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I honestly don't give a **** how many shots we take. As long as we have more goals than the other team. On top of that, our goal differential is +9.

It's only the ones that go in that count.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't believe that. Someone is messing up somewhere. Del Zotto alone would make us about 10th in missed shots.
I'll tell you why were 27th. How many times could we possibly miss the net considering how few shots we attempt? By percentage, I would say we're way up there. By total, how many shots could you possibly miss when you struggle to muster 15 in a game?

For example if I attempt 4 shots and miss 3, and you attempt 30 shots and miss 10, you missed alot more than I did, but in reality you were for more accurate.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not talking about the (bad) Del Zotto joke. Im trying to find a point when you originally said this:

Not sure if thats an excuse, an observation that seems to be wrong, or what.
It's extreme hyperbole. I'm not worried about shots on goal this early into the season.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Really it's more chances. Everyone out there can't be a sniper. Every shot on goal isn't going to go in. What help is there if we shoot 10x a game into the goalie's chest? We need more chances, more quality chances.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

#1 in Goals Against.

#2 in Point Percentage.

#4 in Goal Differential.

9 of 10 wins are in REG/OT.

They need to improve the Power Play. If they score ONE extra Power Play goal per game, on average, their GF/G will be significantly better, and they'd legitimately be a threat in the Conference.

It comes down to special teams. That's the difference maker in this era.

For the most part, their attention to detail has been very good.

Power Play, they NEED a dangerous Power Play.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:39 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Lack

Of

Offensive

Skill
Lack

Of

Dinosaurs

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Lack

Of

Dinosaurs
Huh? Say what?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:28 PM
GrizMint

-Gabby(77) and Cally(60) account for 40% of the rangers forwards shots

-Gabby(77), Cally(60), Richards(38) and Steps(36) account for 61%

-Boyle(25), Dubinksy(24) and Anisimov(23), Prust(20) account for 27%

Pretty big drop off between the top 4 shots on net producers and the next four. Additionally, Boyle, Dubi and Ani all are floating around a 4% scoring percentage. Those guys need to shot more and score more for long term success. Obviously Boyle and Prust aren't counted on and expected to score at high rates but Dubi and Ani need to pick it up.

The one encouraging thing are the goals and shots from our defense.

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
ogie

Quote:
Huh? Say what?
i guess it was a little inside joke that people didn't get.

Quote:
The Battlefield 3 presentation at EA's E3 2011 press conference kicked off with a soldier admiring his toy dinosaur keepsake. Most of you, myself included, probably didn't read much more into this moment than "Oh hey, look! A dinosaur!"

There's more to it than that, though. A while back, a thread on 4chan was started by someone claiming to work for Activision. Their post asked for feedback on Modern Warfare, and the replies proceeded to talk all about the startling lack of dinosaurs in those games. So the guys at DICE decided to put a Dinosaur into the game.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Everyone tries to pick corners too much. Very rarely do any of the forwards on our team just flip a low shot on net and try to get rebounds, everyone always tries to go top corner and they usually miss.

StaalWars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Lack

Of

Offensive

Skill
They had even less offensive skill last year and it wasn't this bad. They were 19th with 29.9 shots per game.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
I said this in some other thread. Obviously we're not hitting the net, but there is another reason. We're passing better, and taking better shots. That's why we're still scoring, and have really high Shooting%

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lack

Of

Offensive

Skill
I feel like unless we have 12 1st line players playing on lines 1-4 some people will never be happy with our offense.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Lack

Of

Offensive

Skill

Our Rangers lack Offensive Skill??
Wow, you could have fooled a lot of fans/hf posters around here with that statement. Perhaps the answer is we are "the gang that can't shoot straight." Maybe we should be shooting at a soccer net instead of a hockey net.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
I feel like unless we have 12 1st line players playing on lines 1-4 some people will never be happy with our offense.
Why should we be happy with a blatantly mediocre offense? A lot of fans on this forum penciled Richards in for 90 points when he signed and Gaborik for 40+ goals. I made the following post back in July; Who is Richards going to pass to in order to reach 90 points? He's not playing with Neal, Benn or Erikson anymore.
Let's face facts, we need another legit finisher on this team in addition to Gaborik. In so far as the paltry # of shots taken, shot more and aim better!

Old
11-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Our offense sucks, face facts!

Old
11-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Our offense sucks, face facts!
It really doesn't. Just because it's not the best in the league doesn't mean it sucks.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Why should we be happy with a blatantly mediocre offense? A lot of fans on this forum penciled Richards in for 90 points when he signed and Gaborik for 40+ goals. I made the following post back in July; Who is Richards going to pass to in order to reach 90 points? He's not playing with Neal, Benn or Erikson anymore.

Let's face facts, we need another legit finisher on this team in addition to Gaborik. In so far as the paltry # of shots taken, shot more and aim better!
I don't agree.

There are many excuses in this thread (we don't hit the net etc), but facts are -- and they are obvious from everyone who watches this team play -- that we are completely shut down for big parts of many games, and when we gain momentum -- its not like we are elite either.

Anyone will agree with this description:
-A fundemental source for offense on this team is the ability to create turnovers from a high forechecking game!

Right? Of course, that's what Torts himself is saying. Another way, and a eqaully good description of the same statement, is the following:
-We live on misstakes made by the other team.

Its the exact same thing (a D should never cough up the puck in their own end. Its a "misstake" when they do!)! And when you descripe the above fact from that perspective, it also explains why we are so -- downright -- streaky. Why it seems like we constantly play like 15 minutes of hockey and get 1 or 2 shots on goal -- because most teams don't make misstakes the first 15 minutes of a hockey game. And so forth.

We play one style. Most other(/all?) successful teams play another style. People want to debate which style is the best? Sure go ahead. I can say one thing for sure though, for sure, and that is that we must become better in other prime areas of the game than over forechecking game. Because, and sometime it seems like this is easy to forget, you forecheck when the other team has the puck down deep in their end. The game is played in many other areas of the ice, and you attack with the puck from your own end to start with. And in those areas we are just not good at all to be perfectly honest. Its like you even ccoul question if there is a framework in place.

And if you look at team like Boston, its the opposite. They forecheck just as we do. They play defense just as we do. But when they get the puck in their own end, they do something we don't, they play a structured team game, get the puck up ice without loosing controll of it, and they get it to the net of the rush. And it has nothing to do with individual talent and what not. Its coaching. Set plays, shift after shift after shift. Chicago is a bit diffrent, but in that area its the same thing too. You have two coaches in those two towns who have spent an awful lot of time for several years getting their D's to be able to execute passing plays up ice. Completely opposite to our long passes up the boards that are tipped into the attacking zone.

If we get the puck in a odd man situation, sure we try to attack of the rush. But if the other team is somewhat organized, our objective is not to take the puck to the net if we got it in our own end. Our only objective it seems is to get it deep. And that's just not the case in Chicago or Boston for example. There are distinct diffrences in the X and O's on the board between those two teams and our Torts coached team. Before the lockout, nobody tried to be "fancy" in the neutral zone. That have changed now.

The problem described in this thread won't change before we get better at managing the puck from our own end and up ice. The problem is not that Richards is not playing with a sniper that suits his style, the problem is that we spend alot of time chasing the puck all over the ice instead of pinning the other team down in their end or taking the puck to their net of the rush. If anything we ought to look for a D who can keep the puck within the team.

Last edited by Ola: 11-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:32 AM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
^ this might be post of the year........

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Only thing I would disagree with is the need for a new defenseman.

Hopefully this issue will be solved by either shortening the passes or our young d getting better at this as the year progresses.

But these long home run passes should be eliminated, as torts needs to realize we do not have St Louis and Lecavalier, and this is not the 2004 Lightning.

We need to adapt to the talent that we have, and we are at our best when we create turnovers. I am far from an NHL Coach, and don't think i could do a better job, but it does seem this team would be at its best running a loose - 1 - 2 -2 for check, rather then the aggresive forecheck we have now that leads to a ton of odd man breaks for the opposing team

Last edited by jskramer83: 11-22-2011 at 08:37 AM.
jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

My selective memory says that in the last game we had 2 powerplays where we didn't even get a shot on..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Dead last. Next closest is the Islanders with 50 more.
This needs to be remedied, and fast.
No surprise. It's a glaring stat in some of the losses. They just don't seem to be trying, way too peripheral.

Luckily this is something that can be fixed.