HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Major Junior or NCAA hockey?

Old
11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
capitalsfan40

vCash: 500
Major Junior or NCAA hockey?

Say you were a really good hockey player for a teen, would you rather go the Major Junior route in Canada or take the college option down in the States? I personally would take the major junior route as I have known some people who play/played major junior hockey and it sounds like the way to go but I have never seen NCAA hockey/lifestyle so I can't really comment on that!

capitalsfan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Stories
Science!

College. I loved college so much and I would imagine being an athlete during that time would have made it that much more awesome.

This is a pure lifestyle choice.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

All depends on your goals.

Do you have a serious shot at pro hockey? If so go for the Major Junior route.

Do you still need time to develop into a stronger and more mature player? All while getting a free education from (probably) a top tier university? Go the college route.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd go college...because of college girls. And less travel. And free education.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:02 PM
newfr4u

nowadays, it depends on which conference you'll get into if you play college. major juniors have the best competition, and send the most kids to the nhl. but if you are good enough, you can definitely make a name for yourself if you play in WCHA or Hockey East. even ECAC though you probably won't get a scholarship and the conference is worse.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
nowadays, it depends on which conference you'll get into if you play college. major juniors have the best competition, and send the most kids to the nhl. but if you are good enough, you can definitely make a name for yourself if you play in WCHA or Hockey East. even ECAC though you probably won't get a scholarship and the conference is worse.
It think major juniors has the more talented competition, but NCAA (particularly WCHA, HE) has the higher level of competition. NCAAers tend to be a tad older.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:16 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan40 View Post
Say you were a really good hockey player for a teen, would you rather go the Major Junior route in Canada or take the college option down in the States? I personally would take the major junior route as I have known some people who play/played major junior hockey and it sounds like the way to go but I have never seen NCAA hockey/lifestyle so I can't really comment on that!
Keep in mind major junior has numerous teams in the USA as well as Canada.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
What is it like playing for major junior hockey anyway? Do people still go to school at the same time? Or do they just exclusively work on hockey?

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:56 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
What is it like playing for major junior hockey anyway? Do people still go to school at the same time? Or do they just exclusively work on hockey?
High school aged players attend high school.
The team supplies teaching aides/tutors etc.
Many players finished high school attend Univ. and or college....again tutors are supplied.

example- http://www.winterhawks.com/page/recruiting-video

http://www.chl.ca/page/whlinfo

Last edited by leoleo3535: 11-21-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old
11-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Inkling

If you're a blue-chip, can't-miss prospect then Junior seems the best route; you'd end up leaving university before you graduated anyway. If you're on the bubble then NCAA gives you the degree in case you don't make a go of it in the pro ranks (although the CHL provides a scholarship fund too these days).

Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:33 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
It think major juniors has the more talented competition, but NCAA (particularly WCHA, HE) has the higher level of competition. NCAAers tend to be a tad older.
Yup. The hotshots go major junior, but it's a younger group and not as deep with skill. In the NCAA, you're playing a pro game with adults, since the players have older adult, not teen bodies. It'll be more level skillwise as well, since the NCAA, due to its age range, doesn't get the hotshot guys who are going to be in the NHL at 18, but still gets a lot of very good players.

If I was making the choice and not one of those can't miss guys, I'd go NCAA, and get an education. You can go to some really excellent schools for (essentially) free. Facilities will be top notch too.

So yeah. Odds are, that even if you're really good at your current level, you're going to need to plan for a life after hockey. The NCAA is probably the best route for that.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Yup. The hotshots go major junior, but it's a younger group and not as deep with skill. In the NCAA, you're playing a pro game with adults, since the players have older adult, not teen bodies. It'll be more level skillwise as well, since the NCAA, due to its age range, doesn't get the hotshot guys who are going to be in the NHL at 18, but still gets a lot of very good players.

If I was making the choice and not one of those can't miss guys, I'd go NCAA, and get an education. You can go to some really excellent schools for (essentially) free. Facilities will be top notch too.

So yeah. Odds are, that even if you're really good at your current level, you're going to need to plan for a life after hockey. The NCAA is probably the best route for that.
Keep in mind if you are really good you will likely not complete your college education so this point is mute.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:13 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
basically if you are looking to play 80-100 games and school later then go Jr

If you want to focus on school and hockey together with less games go NCAA

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:14 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
also major junior offers full scholarships for players that play CHL once they are done hockey to any canadian university, where alot of them get to play.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:26 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan40 View Post
NCAA easily. If you have the talent, you will be found, period, I don't care if you play in Afghanistan, if you're good enough to play in the NHL, in 2011, not 1974, you will be found. There are excellent coaches on both sides to grow your abilities. Ron Mason, Jerry York, Red Berenson etc. Great players have come out of both leagues.

The difference is, what if things go wrong? The NCAA actually takes education seriously. The CHL has tons of loopholes (perhaps they've been fixed but regardless) to cheat you out of the school you really want to go to and to not have to pay you school tuition, dropping you to Junior A right before you are guaranteed money for school.

Top end talent will go to the CHL because they are almost guaranteed to be financially set within a couple years after they sign NHL contracts but those who aren't can go to the NCAA and have more time to train while getting enough game experience and a real educational opportunity at some of the best schools in the world (Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown etc...duly noted that most great players with NHL potential don't play in the ECAC).

This is just me. Both leagues have their perks. Whatever suits you but I think the NCAA provides you with education and playing experience instead of just one.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
SkinsFan09

Don't know if this is still the case or if the CHL leagues have addressed these loopholes...

http://eupnews.com/2011/northern-jun...h-chl-vs-ncaa/

The first “catch” with this system is the so-called “domicile” rule. Basically, how this works, is the OHL takes the cost of tuition at the college or university closes to your home as the basis of how much educational cash you receive that year. So if your from a town where it costs $6500 in tuition to attend Acme College but your heart’s set on going to Generic University at $7000 a year you will have to come up with the $500.

The next “catch” is that it is real important to be on an OHL roster January 10th or later. The reason is that if your not on the team on or after that date the money you would receive for education for that year is halved. So on January 9th you get sent down to the Junior A affiliate you can kiss literally thousands of dollars goodbye. Ouch.

The final ”catch” in my opinion is the biggest of all. It states that you have 18 months from the time your junior eligibility has expired for you to access your educational money. If you don’t tap into it then, on a full-time continuous basis, it is gone forever.

For example, Joe Smith just finished his 20 year-old overage season with the Sarnia Sting. He then, like most OHL grads, decides to keep his dream of hockey glory going and signs with the ECHL’s Elmira Jackals. He has a decent first year and the Jackals would love to have him back for a second year. Joe Smith now has come to one of life’s crossroads. He can return and hope he continues to develop as a hockey player and maybe catches the eye of an AHL team.

The AHL, being one step away from the NHL, can now be used as a platform for a call-up to The Show and a lifelong dream fulfilled. Or he can access his educational package and go on to university. How many 22 year-old hockey players, having played since they were 4 or 5, are ready to abandon their dreams at that age? Not many, the OHL is counting on it.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
r3cc0s

Problem with the CHL... get picked up in midget AAA, sometimes will have to spend a year or two in Junior A as a young "Junior"... then get put on the roster at some point in the OHL, W, etc..

For some people, moving away and travelling is not something that a 15 year old can easily ween themselves to do, and remain disciplined enough to remain studious to finish their high school

Then you spend the next few years until the last eligibality age of 21 as a "Professional" junior player... being non-eligable for the NCAA

IF you go undrafted, you get a somewhat severence package to go to post-secondary, where you can play in something like CIS college hockey, but it isn't and won't be the NCAA.

Or you go though the grudging tiers of trying to make it to the show by going through the IHL, ECHL and onwards.

I think all and all, it depends.

IMO I think the NCAA should be the prefered route, as it also is the proving grounds for so many other sports
It encourages intellectual development and sets a higher standards for "professional" atheletes that come from that system.

The CHL is an amazing pro-Jr system, entertaining to watch, but all and all it is like any other professional sports franchise, a "professional" sports franchise. I'm not sure a 15 year old, nor their family, should be forced to make that decision that early whether to become a professional athelete vs waiting a couple years to become a college athelete.

I watch alot of CIS games here in Calgary, and the level of play with these ex' Jr (CHL) or Jr A players... all grown up is amazing.
I personally think our Dino's would give the hitmen more than a run for the money... but these guys are now in their early 20's trying to finish their undergrad, as their dreams to go drafted have come and gone...
By this point if they were in the NCAA, they would've completed their undergrad at the least and could persue their other intellectual aptitudes instead.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:48 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
also major junior offers full scholarships for players that play CHL once they are done hockey to any canadian university, where alot of them get to play.
It gives 1 tuition year for each season played, so you have to play your 17-18-19-20to get a full 4 years worth of tuition and have your degree. (or 3 years in the Q)

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:51 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Problem with the CHL... get picked up in midget AAA, sometimes will have to spend a year or two in Junior A as a young "Junior"... then get put on the roster at some point in the OHL, W, etc..

For some people, moving away and travelling is not something that a 15 year old can easily ween themselves to do, and remain disciplined enough to remain studious to finish their high school

Then you spend the next few years until the last eligibality age of 21 as a "Professional" junior player... being non-eligable for the NCAA

IF you go undrafted, you get a somewhat severence package to go to post-secondary, where you can play in something like CIS college hockey, but it isn't and won't be the NCAA.

Or you go though the grudging tiers of trying to make it to the show by going through the IHL, ECHL and onwards.

IMO I think the NCAA should be the prefered route, as it also is the proving grounds for so many other sports
It encourages intellectual development and sets a higher standards for "professional" atheletes that come from that system.

The CHL is an amazing pro-Jr system, entertaining to watch, but all and all it is like any other professional sports franchise, a "professional" sports franchise. I'm not sure a 15 year old, nor their family, should be forced to make that decision that early whether to become a professional athelete vs waiting a couple years to become a college athelete.

I watch alot of CIS games here in Calgary, and the level of play with these ex' Jr (CHL) or Jr A players... all grown up is amazing.
I personally think our Dino's would give the hitmen more than a run for the money... but these guys are now in their early 20's trying to finish their undergrad, as their dreams to go drafted have come and gone...
By this point if they were in the NCAA, they would've completed their undergrad at the least and could persue their other intellectual aptitudes instead.
As for a 15 year old moving away keep in mind thats not just major jr that aslo happens in jr a and some even go to prep school.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
They don't overlap much. Why not the major junior route through your late teens, then if you don't get a pro contract by the age of 19/20, go to the NCAA?

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:46 AM
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
They don't overlap much. Why not the major junior route through your late teens, then if you don't get a pro contract by the age of 19/20, go to the NCAA?
Not sure if serious.

Last edited by SkinsFan09: 11-22-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old
11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
NCAA rules do not permit this.
Once you have played CHL you are not allowed to play NCAA.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post

For some people, moving away and travelling is not something that a 15 year old can easily ween themselves to do, and remain disciplined enough to remain studious to finish their high schoolThen you spend the next few years until the last eligibality age of 21 as a "Professional" junior player... being non-eligable for the NCAA

Moving away and travelling at a young age is not exclusive to the CHL.
Same thing happens in the USHL, AJHL, BCHL etc etc.
If anyone is forcing a 15 yr old to decide it is the NCAA as they are the ones that put up all the road blocks not the CHL.
The only hockey people that believe the CHL is "pro" is the NCAA.
It isn't.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:36 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Don't know if this is still the case or if the CHL leagues have addressed these loopholes...

http://eupnews.com/2011/northern-jun...h-chl-vs-ncaa/

The first “catch” with this system is the so-called “domicile” rule. Basically, how this works, is the OHL takes the cost of tuition at the college or university closes to your home as the basis of how much educational cash you receive that year. So if your from a town where it costs $6500 in tuition to attend Acme College but your heart’s set on going to Generic University at $7000 a year you will have to come up with the $500.

The next “catch” is that it is real important to be on an OHL roster January 10th or later. The reason is that if your not on the team on or after that date the money you would receive for education for that year is halved. So on January 9th you get sent down to the Junior A affiliate you can kiss literally thousands of dollars goodbye. Ouch.

The final ”catch” in my opinion is the biggest of all. It states that you have 18 months from the time your junior eligibility has expired for you to access your educational money. If you don’t tap into it then, on a full-time continuous basis, it is gone forever.

For example, Joe Smith just finished his 20 year-old overage season with the Sarnia Sting. He then, like most OHL grads, decides to keep his dream of hockey glory going and signs with the ECHL’s Elmira Jackals. He has a decent first year and the Jackals would love to have him back for a second year. Joe Smith now has come to one of life’s crossroads. He can return and hope he continues to develop as a hockey player and maybe catches the eye of an AHL team.

The AHL, being one step away from the NHL, can now be used as a platform for a call-up to The Show and a lifelong dream fulfilled. Or he can access his educational package and go on to university. How many 22 year-old hockey players, having played since they were 4 or 5, are ready to abandon their dreams at that age? Not many, the OHL is counting on it.
Keep in mind....the vast majority of NCAA scholarships are not full scholarships.
High end talented players rarely finish their education.
Scholarships can and often are withdrawn by the NCAA school leaving the players hanging.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
The difference is, what if things go wrong? The NCAA actually takes education seriously. The CHL has tons of loopholes (perhaps they've been fixed but regardless) to cheat you out of the school you really want to go to and to not have to pay you school tuition, dropping you to Junior A right before you are guaranteed money for school.
lol'ed. thanks for that, i am having a crappy morning.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote