HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

How're you guys liking Gilroy?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
How're you guys liking Gilroy?

Rangers fan here.
First off, thanks for that win over Carolina. Most Rangers fans find tampa a bit endearing after that.

Anyways, I was sad to see Gilroy go to free agency (especially when we brought back Eminger), but glad to see him picked up for Tampa.

His stats are looking alright, but how's he been playing for you guys?

Old
11-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

He played 25 minutes last night in Florida and didn't look out of place at all and even made a beautiful play all by himself to set up Stamkos for the 2nd goal. He started out kind of rough but since his last scratch he's been terrific and providing some offensive jump and is starting to become a little more comfortable in carrying it up ice himself too.

Our best FA signing so far definitely.

Old
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

At first he looked very bad. He was pinching and getting caught almost every time, and he was turning pucks over in our own end. The coaching staff has done a good job simplifying his game to make better decisions, and he has looked much better now. He's starting to show off his skating ability and his finesse skills like he did in the last game without looking foolish. Looks like all he needed was some good ole Boucher structure.

Old
11-07-2011, 11:19 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
He played 25 minutes last night in Florida and didn't look out of place at all and even made a beautiful play all by himself to set up Stamkos for the 2nd goal. He started out kind of rough but since his last scratch he's been terrific and providing some offensive jump and is starting to become a little more comfortable in carrying it up ice himself too.

Our best FA signing so far definitely.
Pyatt may have something to say about that. I've really been impressed with his work ethic and he's fit in quite well since he's used to Boucher's system.

As for Gilroy, I agree with what everyone above has said. He seems to be limiting his pinches a bit more and it's helped him be more calm with the puck when he does pinch. Defensively he looks more comfortable and he's also using his speed more sensibly.

Old
11-08-2011, 07:27 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Yeah I wouldn't say hes our best so far but he has picked up the system and looks very serviceable. Lacroix is working with his defensive side of the game and its improving each game. I have kind of noticed hes at his best when hes constantly shuffling around, he has to keep moving around the ice and they seem to be doing that with him.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Rschmitz

I would say he is the best signing so far. A D who can step in and play top pairing minutes when needed to go along with his right handed shot>4th line banger. And with Garon's last couple of bad starts, I think Gilroy wins this prize.

The coaching staff has done an excellent job of simplifying the game for him, so his natural talent is oozing out. I'm looking forward to when they start advancing the system for him, he might start to see some more PP time.

Old
11-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
I thought he was pretty bad right at the start of the year, but seems to have gotten better. I don't get to see a ton of games so my sample size is small.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:21 AM
ltrangerfan

The Rangers had great difficulty scoring last year. The d. supplied no offensive prowess.

Gilroy was asked to freelance, carrying the puck deep into the offensive zone every chance he got in the hopes he could create some chaos around the net.

Once the puck was controlled by the opposition he had to skate all out to get back into the play.

My guess is that when he first arrived in Tampa he was displaying some of the bad habits he picked up in NY.

Gilroy appears to be an intelligent player who really needed coaching in order to improve his game. His skating was always outstanding, his shot was mediocre at best. He didn't play an aggressive offensive style but always seemed to be in the right position to keep his goals against rather low. A team can't build a defense around him but he should be a very dependable defender.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:10 AM
BoltSTH

IMO he is at least a solid 3rd pairing with a possible ceiling of 2nd pairing D (I doubt that though)

Old
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
The Rangers had great difficulty scoring last year. The d. supplied no offensive prowess.

Gilroy was asked to freelance, carrying the puck deep into the offensive zone every chance he got in the hopes he could create some chaos around the net.

Once the puck was controlled by the opposition he had to skate all out to get back into the play.

My guess is that when he first arrived in Tampa he was displaying some of the bad habits he picked up in NY.

Gilroy appears to be an intelligent player who really needed coaching in order to improve his game. His skating was always outstanding, his shot was mediocre at best. He didn't play an aggressive offensive style but always seemed to be in the right position to keep his goals against rather low. A team can't build a defense around him but he should be a very dependable defender.
Funny you should say that, that was exactly what he was doing. Our defense is kind of asking the same thing of him as we really need backend mobility but he has really focused on the defensive side of the game and eased up over the last 2-3 weeks on getting so deep in the offensive zone, and instead trusting the forwards to dig it out.

Hes been spending a lot of time post-practice working on his shot as well and that has shown steady improvement, although I don't think its his shot that needs work as much as deciding when to take a shot and getting it through traffic. He needs to get forwards moving laterally in front of him to open gaps.

Closed Thread