HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The underrated value of Josh Gorges to the Montreal Canadiens

Old
11-22-2011, 07:45 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
Gorges sucks! He is small, non-physical defenceman with no offensive tools. 2 million player at most.
This opinion is actually wrong though, unless you don't watch hockey. Then this opinion is just ignorant. Wrong too, but ignorant, mainly.

Gorges is a good player. I don't think he should still be considered an underrated player, because at this point, everyone knows how good he is, and his effect on the team isn't exactly hidden. That being said, I hope they lock him up soon, hopefully for 3.2 or something under under 3.5. Afraid (sorta, I suppose) that his off season surgery is going to make him into a better hockey player and shoot his value through the roof. Could very well happen, and it would be cool to see him excel, but he's going to cost a pretty penny.

Last edited by InglewoodJack: 11-22-2011 at 07:54 AM.
InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
This opinion is actually wrong though, unless you don't watch hockey. Then this opinion is just ignorant. Wrong too, but ignorant, mainly.
Oh, really?

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Jigger77

Third most important player on the team since the beginning of the year after Price and Plecky imo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Third most important player on the team since the beginning of the year after Price and Plecky imo.
Agreed.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Undervalued?

Not by many.

Gorges is my favourite player on the team, and just as important as Price and Pleky.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Oh, really?
Well, can you explain how he sucks? No one is calling him a #1 D man, but for his role, he's excellent, and crucial to the team's success. Also, he's having his best season yet.

Unless you're "trolling", then I guess you got me?

Old
11-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Oh, really?
Yes, really. Saying Gorges sucks is both ignorant and wrong. Whether he's a $2 million dollar player or a $4 million dollar one is up for debate but to just come out and say he sucks? Come on.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Yes, really. Saying Gorges sucks is both ignorant and wrong. Whether he's a $2 million dollar player or a $4 million dollar one is up for debate but to just come out and say he sucks? Come on.
He was being sarcastic.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He was being sarcastic.
Sorry. Sarcasm meter temporarily disabled today.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:04 AM
habsjunkie2*

I wouldn't pay him 4million a year. I know hf boards habs fans love him, but he's not a 4million dollar defenseman in my opinion.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I wouldn't pay him 4million a year. I know hf boards habs fans love him, but he's not a 4million dollar defenseman in my opinion.
It's not about HFBoards man crushes on the guy, but what he could see thrown at him in the off-season. Plenty of teams will be willing to spend top dollar, even over spend, to bring in a guy like Gorges.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hope they get on signing him as soon as they can. This guy is a warrior.
I hope we can sign him too but last year's contract situation was a little bit ugly. Hopefully he's not just going to play out the year and bolt. That would not be good for us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
It's not about HFBoards man crushes on the guy, but what he could see thrown at him in the off-season. Plenty of teams will be willing to spend top dollar, even over spend, to bring in a guy like Gorges.
Isn't he best buds with Price? Hopefully staying with his teammates will bring a little discount.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:39 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I wouldn't over spend on a dman like him. We'll see what happens to him. I find him extremely over rated around these parts.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:49 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Well, can you explain how he sucks? No one is calling him a #1 D man, but for his role, he's excellent, and crucial to the team's success. Also, he's having his best season yet.

Unless you're "trolling", then I guess you got me?
Quote:
Inglewood Jack even quoted the post. How could you have missed it?

Old
11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

It has to be said, Gorges is a freaking machine. So effective in all areas of the ice.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Would be fun to actually have a poll on this. I want him back. I think it's imperative Gauthier use his "thinking outside of the box" and try to sign him as soon as he's allowed to. But I just want to be sure that if the Habs let him go, that we won't hear about people saying how it's not that bad after all. That he was just ordinairy to begin with.

Just a reminder, this guy is part of what we call out best deal since 2003 (thanks to the guy Timmins got in the 1st round, but just getting the 1st rounder was great). EVERYBODY should want to have him and Everybody has to be really dissapointed if we don't come to a deal. Yet, I'm predicting some will find a way to "trust the management" if we don't. I say I trust the management that they are not blind, and will know that they have NO CHOICE but signing him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Stradale

21M$/6 years would be great but I think he will get more.

I love the guy. Real team player. He's a player you win hockey games and championships with.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:29 PM
29dryden29

You guys make me laugh you are all fine with 5.75 a year for Markov but don't think JG is worth more than 4 lol too funny.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
You guys make me laugh you are all fine with 5.75 a year for Markov but don't think JG is worth more than 4 lol too funny.
Markov puts up Joshua Gorges' career stats in one season. Whats actually funny, is the fact that no one seems to remember the exceptional talent Andrei has. You'd think we would, considering he was drafted/blossomed before our eyes.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:47 PM
shao01

Anywhere between 3-3.5 seems like a fair deal to me.

I'm guessing about 5 years for 16.5 mil total.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:58 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Markov puts up Joshua Gorges' career stats in one season. Whats actually funny, is the fact that no one seems to remember the exceptional talent Andrei has. You'd think we would, considering he was drafted/blossomed before our eyes.
I would take JG on my team over Markov any day of the week.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I would take JG on my team over Markov any day of the week.
Not to be blunt... but that would make you an idiot.

To be more polite...well...

I take it you're not very old. You seem to make hasty, irrational decisions. When you age a little, hopefully you'll get to see a dynasty/Stanley Cup winning team, and when you do- you'll begin to appreciate things. Little things like winning, natural talent, and craftsmanship with the puck. You'll appreciate their vision, heart, and likely even stuff the all-star ballot with that player's name. Until then, continue to choose #3-4, 2nd pairing defencemen over Markov-type players- after all, we have an underrated thread for an overrated player, that's HF Boards' way. Just know that one day, and that day will come, you'll appreciate a finesse play that only a smart hockey mind could make... and you'll think of me, Beaker.

When Gorges puts up 60+ points in a season, all the while being an defensive juggernaut, eating big minutes and facing top opposition... we can continue this discussion.

Last edited by Beaker: 11-23-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

This is going down as a big GAUTHIER MISTAKE

MONTREAL - Josh Gorges(notes) said he’s disappointed the Canadiens didn’t see fit to give him a multi-year contract, but he can understand the team’s decision.

“When I stepped back and I look at it from the team’s point of view, I realized that it was a business decision,” said Gorges, who avoided arbitration Friday when he agreed to a one-year deal worth $2.5 million U.S

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?...gaz-ca-5157054
-------------------------------------------

SO, Gauthier could have locked Josh in for what in the offseason?3.25-3.5 million 5 years?
Now we're into a real BAD situation , where JOSH can walk end of year to highest bidder.......and he too can say "I realized that it was a business decision".The leverage is all in Josh Gorges court , he asked for what he wants, Habs balk , Josh walks .

Gainey did the same with Plekanec, could have locked him into 3.5 million or less !!!!! then they ended up paying him 5 million a season ,for that one yr deal.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
It amazes me how ppl forget what Markov brings to the table. He has some bad luck for a couple seasons and everyones on his case calling him frail and injuryprone etc.

With the depth we have at D and the return of a guy like Markov will no doubt push the Habs into the middle of the playoff teams or better.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote