HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carkner

Old
11-22-2011, 12:50 PM
trashmouth12

vCash: 500
Matt Carkner

Quote:
Matt Carkner (knee) is going full out in prac. He feels he's getting close. Being cautious, but feels he could play @ any time.
@Steve_Lloyd
Link

This could mean some moves and readjusting for the back end. Send Rundblad down? Trade Lee/Kuba?

trashmouth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Carkner asked about Crosby setting the bar high for comebacks. Says no prob., "I got 2 & 2 in me, 2 hits & 2 turnovers." #Sens
lulz.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmouth12 View Post
Link

This could mean some moves and readjusting for the back end. Send Rundblad down? Trade Lee/Kuba?
Maybe we should play with 3 lines, and 4 defense pairings

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
lulz.
hahaha, that's gold! He'll top him off by adding 2 fights

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
lulz.

Great news.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

There really isn't any rush for a trade unless it suits Bryan's expressed desire for a forward.

They could stand pat with 8 D but it would be hard to sit out 2 D each game and not very good for Rundblad's development if he sits out too much. They could rotate Lee and Rundblad depending on the opponent and try Carks on the 4th line to give them all game play but the only guy he could likely push out is Konopka who has looked pretty good lately. Unless Carkner needs to rehab a few games in the AHL the other short term logical move is to send Rundblad down. That should test his mettle.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I saw Carkner today at SBP I was coming out as he was going in. He is a big man & he looked fine. My guess is that he just needs to egt into game shape before he is cleared to play. I also saw Karlsson, Gonchar, Kuba (who is huge) & a couple of other guys who I didn't get a good look at. Carkner will probably do a week or so in Bingo for a condition stint.

Once Carkner is ready I think Rundblad gets demoted to Bingo for awhile maybe even until the trade deadline. With Turris signed maybe that will start a bidding war for his services although I doubt Murray over pays for him. Should be an interesting week.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Yayyyy

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Good to see him making progress. Hope to see him soon.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Don't want him back.
Glad he's feeling better though.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

He's back on Thursday.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

just in time to replace Kuba "upper body"

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 10:50 PM
N Bahn Ahden

I think we have to remember that he's not necessarily in our top 6 anymore. I'm sure they'll try to get him into the lineup, but as the season progresses he's probably going to end up as the 7th defenceman.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

On a related note, any timeline for Regin?

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:22 PM
source

IMO they should toss Lee in Kuba's spot. If we play the Penguins though, Carkner dresses.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 11:24 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Carkner's 7th D, after the way our D's been going, stay as it is. I like the offensive rush of Rundblad, Karlsson, and the dominating shutdown D of Cowen, if anyone sits it's Carkner or Kuba.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

There has been a few games this yr where Ottawa has missed Carkner's toughness. I thought that last night watching the Winnipeg game that they were taking liberties including the Karlsson hit along the boards & pushing Greening into the net & boards. Unbelievable there was no call on that, if it was Crosby the guy would have been banned from the NHL.

IMO Kuba will be traded if Murray can find a trading partner but likely not until the trade deadline. Lee's days in Ottawa are also numbered & he could either be placed on waivers or traded or released at the end of the yr. Depending on how long Kuba is out Lee will likely replace him until Carkner is ready. Let's not expect too much from Carkner coming off knee surgery, he will need some time to get comfortable again, maybe a fight or two.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Marble

Agreed. Remember how long it took Kuba to catch up to the pace of the game last year? Carkner could look pretty awful out there for a while, and will surely be our 7th D until he catches up. And even then...you never know.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

MacLean and Murray have made it pretty clear Carkner's going to play. Every game? No, but are people really dumb enough to think the number 7 d-man spot remains consistent over a season? It changes on a daily basis. They've been extremely cautious with his injury recovery, he's coming back in great shape to prove his detractors wrong for a third year in a row.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:44 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
There has been a few games this yr where Ottawa has missed Carkner's toughness. I thought that last night watching the Winnipeg game that they were taking liberties including the Karlsson hit along the boards & pushing Greening into the net & boards. Unbelievable there was no call on that, if it was Crosby the guy would have been banned from the NHL.
I don't think he pushed Greening. In fact, I don't know how you could even stop Greening on that play. He was flying and he's a big, strong kid. Greening is the king of the weight room for the Senators. Nobody is stronger. Just because he isn't a goon, doesn't mean that he doesn't know how to stick up for himself.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I can't see them sitting Rundblad for that long. He's been playing well for us and, as I said before when he was sitting, our offence is much more dynamic with him back in the line-up. I don't have the exact stats but just compare our GPG with Rundblad in the line-up compared to what it is without him. I am inclined to believe it's higher with.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:55 PM
LeTigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I can't see them sitting Rundblad for that long. He's been playing well for us and, as I said before when he was sitting, our offence is much more dynamic with him back in the line-up. I don't have the exact stats but just compare our GPG with Rundblad in the line-up compared to what it is without him. I am inclined to believe it's higher with.
If my rough calculations are correct it's about 3.13 goals for with him in and 3.11 without him. Almost identical. But the team is 9-6 with him in.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:57 PM
jbeck5

Does a 2 week conditioning stint in bingo make sense in this case?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:59 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
MacLean and Murray have made it pretty clear Carkner's going to play. Every game? No, but are people really dumb enough to think the number 7 d-man spot remains consistent over a season? It changes on a daily basis. They've been extremely cautious with his injury recovery, he's coming back in great shape to prove his detractors wrong for a third year in a row.
This is a good point. He could move into the 8th defenceman spot.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTigre View Post
If my rough calculations are correct it's about 3.13 goals for with him in and 3.11 without him. Almost identical. But the team is 9-6 with him in.
He's also a -6. But that can change drastically from day to day. Cowen was a -4 last night while Phillips was a +4 last night.

I like Rundblad, but he gets beat wide a lot. I think he'll adjust to that soon(ish) though. His skating and hockey sense are top notch. He's not afraid of contact. His puck handling is awesome. It's just the pace of the game and positioning right now.

Best of all, I think Rundblad's presence has actually pushed Karlsson to be a better player. I think maybe Karlsson was somewhat challenged by Rundblad coming in so highly rated. A lot of people still think Rundblad may turn out to be a better player in a year or two. That competition is lighting a fire under Karlsson and he has elevated his game.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote