HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny B

Old
11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Wonder if the Flyers could swing something around Briere for Semin...

Semin has been benched in Washington for his poor play and it seems like he might not be in their long-term plans.

Both players are struggling w/ their current clubs and could use a shake-up and I feel like both would fit in better w/ their new clubs after the trade...

The Flyers could really use a sniper like Semin both short and long term and could really use an elite winger (since we're stacked up the middle for the foreseeable future w/ Giroux-Schenn-Couturier).

The cap values would be relatively identical.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

I don't have any worries about Briere. We need him when it matters the most and that is come playoff time. Also the man has a NMC in his contract. The only way I could ever see the Flyers approaching him about it is if we are a bottom dweller and looking to get picks and prospects back. Other than that he won't be traded. They keep Briere for a reason, great locker room presence and comes up huge when it really matters.

And no to Alex Semin... Flyers most likely won't make a big trade with someone in our conference contending for a cup unless we are bottom dwellers and not competitors ourselves.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I have ZERO interest in Semin. He actually is lazy, aloof, has been called out by at least one teammate to the media, and seems to be a complete diva. He just got benched for sloppy, undisciplined play. We're better off with Briere, much better off.

11-22-2011, 06:09 PM
TarredandFeathered*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Wonder if the Flyers could swing something around Briere for Semin...

Semin has been benched in Washington for his poor play and it seems like he might not be in their long-term plans.

Both players are struggling w/ their current clubs and could use a shake-up and I feel like both would fit in better w/ their new clubs after the trade...

The Flyers could really use a sniper like Semin both short and long term and could really use an elite winger (since we're stacked up the middle for the foreseeable future w/ Giroux-Schenn-Couturier).

The cap values would be relatively identical.
Interesting proposition, but I think Flyers might still have to add something to sweeten it for Washington. Semin would be a better fit on this run and gun offense than Briere, who is getting up there in age and is a much slower skater. A Semin-Giroux-Jagr line would be devestating.

TarredandFeathered* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:15 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
And no to Alex Semin... Flyers most likely won't make a big trade with someone in our conference contending for a cup unless we are bottom dwellers and not competitors ourselves.
#1: Pretty sure Briere would waive NMC to go to Washington. They are a great team and Briere might have a chance to play regularly w/ Ovie.

#2: If the trade makes both teams better, why not make a trade in our conference? Looking long term, I feel like Semin would fit in a lot better w/ this team.

He's a good deal younger than Briere, he has one of the top 3 wristers in the game, and with Giroux feeding him pucks for the next 5 years, he would return to elite goal scoring form.

Long-term, Briere will be in decline and start fading away. And w/ that full NMC, what can we do w/ him? Whereas Semin is just entering his prime. And as I said, the cap values would be nearly identical.

It's great that G has Jagr to play with for this season, and maybe Jagr even comes back next year... but we don't have a long-term #1 winger. JVR and Voracek have promise, but Semin for Briere would fulfill a need IMO.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I have ZERO interest in Semin. He actually is lazy, aloof, has been called out by at least one teammate to the media, and seems to be a complete diva. He just got benched for sloppy, undisciplined play. We're better off with Briere, much better off.
Sloppy, undisciplined play you say? You mean like the kind of play we are ALWAYS calling Briere for? Didn't Lavvy just scream at him for taking dumb penalties and Briere shrugged it off?

Briere is totally dogging it right now.

It's amazing that we always think the other teams' players are 10x worse than our own.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:23 PM

To get Semin, we'd definitely have to add.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Sloppy, undisciplined play you say? You mean like the kind of play we are ALWAYS calling Briere for? Didn't Lavvy just scream at him for taking dumb penalties and Briere shrugged it off?

Briere is totally dogging it right now.

It's amazing that we always think the other teams' players are 10x worse than our own.
No, I've watched a lot of Semin. He dogs it a lot, and has for a while. Semin would be hated on this team immediately. For instance...Briere at least tries to backcheck, he just isn't good at defense...Semin is bad at defense and doesn't even attempt it. From what I can gather from the media here, he is a bad character in the room as well. He's also terrible with the media, which just won't fly here. Washington's media is more forgiving, but he'd get torn to shreds for it in Philly. Briere has a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs...Semin is inconsistent as hell. I remember he had one or two great games against Montreal, but I don't remember any other great playoff performances from him besides that.

If Carter was disliked here, Semin would be despised. He's very Zherdevesque.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:27 PM
cheesesteak

I don't think we'd have to add since Semin is a upcoming UFA.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:28 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
To get Semin, we'd definitely have to add.
You would think this, but there's about 100% of Caps fans out there right now who disagree.

Also, Semin is a UFA this offseason.

I offered it up in the Semin thread on the trade board, and Caps fans were actually telling me they'd need to add.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Ryker

To everyone mentioning the playoffs, this thing about him turning it up a notch is a myth. Go look at his stats, it's just one of those things where people see something that isn't there.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:34 PM
In G We Trust
who is lord stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
To everyone mentioning the playoffs, this thing about him turning it up a notch is a myth. Go look at his stats, it's just one of those things where people see something that isn't there.
He's a PPG guy in the playoffs...not sure what you mean?

In G We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
Correction he has 96 points in 97 games! There is your myth!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, I've watched a lot of Semin. He dogs it a lot, and has for a while. Semin would be hated on this team immediately. For instance...Briere at least tries to backcheck, he just isn't good at defense...Semin is bad at defense and doesn't even attempt it. From what I can gather from the media here, he is a bad character in the room as well. He's also terrible with the media, which just won't fly here. Washington's media is more forgiving, but he'd get torn to shreds for it in Philly. Briere has a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs...Semin is inconsistent as hell. I remember he had one or two great games against Montreal, but I don't remember any other great playoff performances from him besides that.

If Carter was disliked here, Semin would be despised. He's very Zherdevesque.
Zherdevesque except he has 40+ goal potential.

Look, obviously the Caps would need to add, but I'd definitely be willing to do this trade right now... if only to get Briere's contract off our books.

How nice would it be to be free and clear of that 6.5M when Zach Parise is going to hit free agency, when Ryan Suter is going to hit free agency, etc?

And I know it's obvious you dislike Semin, but even you have to be capable of seeing that Briere isn't worth his contract and he's only getting older / slower and worse as the years go on. There aren't going to be many more chances to unload his $6.5M cap hit... especially considering he has a NMC.

And yeah I know there's this ridiculous stigma around him that he turns it on for the playoffs, but I think that's total BS.He's had 1 year where he was significantly better in the playoffs than he was during the regular season (09-10... our cup run). If you don't believe me, check the stats for yourself. Every other year in the playoffs, he either scores right around or below his regular season pace.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:56 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Zherdevesque except he has 40+ goal potential.

Look, obviously the Caps would need to add, but I'd definitely be willing to do this trade right now... if only to get Briere's contract off our books.

How nice would it be to be free and clear of that 6.5M when Zach Parise is going to hit free agency, when Ryan Suter is going to hit free agency, etc?

And I know it's obvious you dislike Semin, but even you have to be capable of seeing that Briere isn't worth his contract and he's only getting older / slower and worse as the years go on. There aren't going to be many more chances to unload his $6.5M cap hit... especially considering he has a NMC.

And yeah I know there's this ridiculous stigma around him that he turns it on for the playoffs, but I think that's total BS.He's had 1 year where he was significantly better in the playoffs than he was during the regular season (09-10... our cup run). If you don't believe me, check the stats for yourself. Every other year in the playoffs, he either scores right around or below his regular season pace.
He may score at the same pace, but that PPG pace in the playoffs is a lot harder to achieve than in the regular season. His ability to have that timely goal is amazing. Its a rare thing to do, and thats why only true playoff warriors can achieve it. I understand his cap hit is rather high, but right now, he's needed on this team rather than a streaky Russian winger, that rarely if ever shows up past April.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
That he's not much worse in the regular season.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Yea but he gets better when the playoffs come...there's too many players that go the opposite way when the playoffs start. Just look at his stats when we went to the Finals. I feel like that says it all there. Also watching those games he was a always a threat when he was on the ice. Briere does bring it when it matters the most

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:09 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
He may score at the same pace, but that PPG pace in the playoffs is a lot harder to achieve than in the regular season. His ability to have that timely goal is amazing. Its a rare thing to do, and thats why only true playoff warriors can achieve it. I understand his cap hit is rather high, but right now, he's needed on this team rather than a streaky Russian winger, that rarely if ever shows up past April.
Sorry... unlike you, I'm not willing to sit back and pay someone $6.5M on the assumption that they'll just turn it up for the playoffs.

As I said, there's this unbelievable BS myth out there about Briere that he's a playoff warrior... HE'S NOT. In every year he's made the playoffs other than 09-10, his playoff PPG pace has pretty closely matched his regular season PPG pace.

05-06: Regular Season: 1.21 pts/game Post Season: 1.06 pts/game

06-07: Regular Season: 1.17 pts/game Post Season: 0.93 pts/game

07-08: Regular Season: 0.91 pts/game Post Season: 0.94 pts/game

08-09: Regular Season: 0.86 pts/game Post Season: 0.67 pts/game

09-10: Regular Season: 0.71 pts/game Post Season: 1.30 pts/game

10-11: Regular Season: 0.88 pts/game Post Season: 0.82 pts/game

11-12: Regular Season: 0.78 pts / game Post Season: ????

EDIT: And in years past, Briere was never counted on the way he is currently. He never had the prospect of playing against another team's #1 defensive line, and he always had teammates perfectly suited to his game.

It's fine if you guys disagree, but I see the future of this team and I don't think Briere fits very well. We have tons of young, speedy talent. Briere is holding that back IMO. And even if Semin isn't the answer, we can use that $6.5M freed up by getting rid of Briere to help find that answer in the offseason.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:32 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Quote:
Sorry... unlike you, I'm not willing to sit back and pay someone $6.5M on the assumption that they'll just turn it up for the playoffs.

As I said, there's this unbelievable BS myth out there about Briere that he's a playoff warrior... HE'S NOT. In every year he's made the playoffs other than 09-10, his playoff PPG pace has pretty closely matched his regular season PPG pace.

05-06: Regular Season: 1.21 pts/game Post Season: 1.06 pts/game

06-07: Regular Season: 1.17 pts/game Post Season: 0.93 pts/game

07-08: Regular Season: 0.91 pts/game Post Season: 0.94 pts/game

08-09: Regular Season: 0.86 pts/game Post Season: 0.67 pts/game

09-10: Regular Season: 0.71 pts/game Post Season: 1.30 pts/game

10-11: Regular Season: 0.88 pts/game Post Season: 0.82 pts/game

11-12: Regular Season: 0.78 pts / game Post Season: ????

EDIT: And in years past, Briere was never counted on the way he is currently. He never had the prospect of playing against another team's #1 defensive line, and he always had teammates perfectly suited to his game.

It's fine if you guys disagree, but I see the future of this team and I don't think Briere fits very well. We have tons of young, speedy talent. Briere is holding that back IMO. And even if Semin isn't the answer, we can use that $6.5M freed up by getting rid of Briere to help find that answer in the offseason.
Do you realize how hard it is to actually play at a PPG rate in the playoffs? Checking is tighter, teams are desperate and yet in an environment in which you'd think Briere would fail drastically, he excels. His leadership and dedication to winning are top notch. I understand you think these 'young guys" deserve a chance, but sometimes you have to prove it. JVR is the player I have the biggest bone to pick. If you think Briere has been bad than watch JVR. JVR has all the chances in the world to prove he can be as dominate as he was in last years playoffs yet he refuses to show the same drive that took him to that higher level. 6.5 million is steep for Briere and I can see him being shipped out at seasons end as the Flyers will surely be in pursuit of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber But right now, his leadership and ability to mentor the younger forwards on the Flyers is needed.

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:56 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Not interested in a lazy player.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:12 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Do you realize how hard it is to actually play at a PPG rate in the playoffs? Checking is tighter, teams are desperate and yet in an environment in which you'd think Briere would fail drastically, he excels. His leadership and dedication to winning are top notch. I understand you think these 'young guys" deserve a chance, but sometimes you have to prove it. JVR is the player I have the biggest bone to pick. If you think Briere has been bad than watch JVR. JVR has all the chances in the world to prove he can be as dominate as he was in last years playoffs yet he refuses to show the same drive that took him to that higher level. 6.5 million is steep for Briere and I can see him being shipped out at seasons end as the Flyers will surely be in pursuit of Ryan Suter or Shea Weber But right now, his leadership and ability to mentor the younger forwards on the Flyers is needed.
Briere has this thing... it's called a NMC. It means he can block any trade.

Now let's be honest here... if you have a home you're happy w/ in Philly, you're on a team you're happy with, are you really going to waive that NMC to go many places? Nope.

Now which teams in the offseason would realistically want Danny B. @ 6.5M for 3 more years? Now which of those teams would be contenders and cities Danny would want to leave the Flyers for?

What's that? You can't think of any? Neither can I.

If we have a chance to move Danny right now to get Semin + something else of value from the Caps, you have to think about doing that IMO.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Briere has this thing... it's called a NMC. It means he can block any trade.

Now let's be honest here... if you have a home you're happy w/ in Philly, you're on a team you're happy with, are you really going to waive that NMC to go many places? Nope.

Now which teams in the offseason would realistically want Danny B. @ 6.5M for 3 more years? Now which of those teams would be contenders and cities Danny would want to leave the Flyers for?

What's that? You can't think of any? Neither can I.

If we have a chance to move Danny right now to get Semin + something else of value from the Caps, you have to think about doing that IMO.

I'm sorry if you take offense to this and if I get a warning but I don't care; **** that ****. I don't ****ing want Semin on this team. He's good but to put it bluntly he's a loser. Has no drive and no heart. He's one of the worst kind of athletes to have. What you want to do is trade one of the better playoff performers in the league for Alex...****ing...Semin. A lazy, undedicated player, that's soft, streaky, with no toughness. He's the exact OPPOSITE of a player that should wear a Flyers' jersey.

No GOD DAMN Alexander Semin on this team...complete waste of high cap hit.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Why do you think it's harder to play at a PPG pace in the playoffs?

GPA in regular season vs. the playoffs

Old
11-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

Want no part of Semin.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Kaktus*

I would do Briere for Semin only because Briere is going to be 35 with 3 more years left on his contract and Semin is UFA.

I doubt Briere will want to move tough.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote