HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers are dead last in Shots on Goal so far

Old
11-22-2011, 10:55 AM
h0ckeyman

vCash: 500
Wow. This team is awful. I would rather get more shots and lose the game, than win like 7 in a row and be dead last in shots. This team has no heart.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

It's important to be opportunistic but just as important to create your own opportunities. When this team rallies they are getting in the high percentage areas and shooting, when they falter they are a peripheral team that doesn't drive the net enough.

Driving the net is less skill than it is courage and a will to compete. You drive the net, throw pucks at the net and make **** happen. If nothing else it wears the opponent down over the course of the game and they make mistakes later in the game.

11-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Wow. This team is awful. I would rather get more shots and lose the game, than win like 7 in a row and be dead last in shots. This team has no heart.
It's the interwebs... we are obsessing. There is plenty to be positive about, but we see things that need work.

Not only did Montreal beat us, they made it look easy.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:17 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
It's the interwebs... we are obsessing. There is plenty to be positive about, but we see things that need work.

Not only did Montreal beat us, they made it look easy.
True, but I'll give em a 1 game pass after a nice long win streak like that

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Some of you guys care about statistics too much. Instead of caring about what we did in past games, we should worry about future games. We are only four points away from first in the division with four games in hand. I know it's early, but we should try and compete for a top playoff spot than care about where we rank in the league in certain statistics.

11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
It really doesn't. Just because it's not the best in the league doesn't mean it sucks.
It doesn't? It's light years away from being near the best in the league. Right now, I would take Florida's offense over ours.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Some of you guys care about statistics too much. Instead of caring about what we did in past games, we should worry about future games. We are only four points away from first in the division with four games in hand. I know it's early, but we should try and compete for a top playoff spot than care about where we rank in the league in certain statistics.
Talk to me after we play Florida, Phila, Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and even the Devils. We have beaten a lot of bottom feeders so far except San Jose and Toronto.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Becuase the stats paint a disturbing picture. It's a telling stat.
How many past novembers have the Rangers been right where they are now? How has that worked out for them in recent years? They let their early season deficiencies linger and it bites them in the ass.

7 game win streaks in November are nice, but they obscure some of the overlying problems with the teams play this season. If they can't show up and outshoot the bottom teams in the league (which was most of the teams they played on this win streak), how are they going to fair against the Pittsburghs, Phillys, and Boston teams? Those are the teams that you have to go through to make it anywhere in the playoffs.

I know its early, but we are approaching the 20 game mark very soon. The shots on goal CAN be corrected, I'm not saying that it can't. But it HAS to be for the Rangers to be a successful team.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:49 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't agree.

There are many excuses in this thread (we don't hit the net etc), but facts are -- and they are obvious from everyone who watches this team play -- that we are completely shut down for big parts of many games, and when we gain momentum -- its not like we are elite either.

Anyone will agree with this description:
-A fundemental source for offense on this team is the ability to create turnovers from a high forechecking game!

Right? Of course, that's what Torts himself is saying. Another way, and a eqaully good description of the same statement, is the following:
-We live on misstakes made by the other team.

Its the exact same thing (a D should never cough up the puck in their own end. Its a "misstake" when they do!)! And when you descripe the above fact from that perspective, it also explains why we are so -- downright -- streaky. Why it seems like we constantly play like 15 minutes of hockey and get 1 or 2 shots on goal -- because most teams don't make misstakes the first 15 minutes of a hockey game. And so forth.

We play one style. Most other(/all?) successful teams play another style. People want to debate which style is the best? Sure go ahead. I can say one thing for sure though, for sure, and that is that we must become better in other prime areas of the game than over forechecking game. Because, and sometime it seems like this is easy to forget, you forecheck when the other team has the puck down deep in their end. The game is played in many other areas of the ice, and you attack with the puck from your own end to start with. And in those areas we are just not good at all to be perfectly honest. Its like you even ccoul question if there is a framework in place.

And if you look at team like Boston, its the opposite. They forecheck just as we do. They play defense just as we do. But when they get the puck in their own end, they do something we don't, they play a structured team game, get the puck up ice without loosing controll of it, and they get it to the net of the rush. And it has nothing to do with individual talent and what not. Its coaching. Set plays, shift after shift after shift. Chicago is a bit diffrent, but in that area its the same thing too. You have two coaches in those two towns who have spent an awful lot of time for several years getting their D's to be able to execute passing plays up ice. Completely opposite to our long passes up the boards that are tipped into the attacking zone.

If we get the puck in a odd man situation, sure we try to attack of the rush. But if the other team is somewhat organized, our objective is not to take the puck to the net if we got it in our own end. Our only objective it seems is to get it deep. And that's just not the case in Chicago or Boston for example. There are distinct diffrences in the X and O's on the board between those two teams and our Torts coached team. Before the lockout, nobody tried to be "fancy" in the neutral zone. That have changed now.

The problem described in this thread won't change before we get better at managing the puck from our own end and up ice. The problem is not that Richards is not playing with a sniper that suits his style, the problem is that we spend alot of time chasing the puck all over the ice instead of pinning the other team down in their end or taking the puck to their net of the rush. If anything we ought to look for a D who can keep the puck within the team.
You could say it in two words: Torts Hockey.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
It doesn't? It's light years away from being near the best in the league. Right now, I would take Florida's offense over ours.
If you'll take one line team, that, in my opinion, doesn't stand a chance to do anything other than keep themselves from getting a top pick, over New York's, than there's not much left to be said. The Islanders have more depth up front than Florida.

Yes we play a defensive style. The Rangers are not the Red Wings. They don't freewheel, they don't dangle, and they don't take 40 shots a game. Our forwards are stingy on defense, with even Marion god damn Gaborik backchecking effectively. It's not high-light prone hockey.

But, hey, they lost one game out of the last eight, so they must be terribad.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:20 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I just have a really bad feeling that teams are going to watch tapes of that game and find out an easy way to beat the Rangers. I'm thinking a losing streak is coming.

I hope I'm wrong.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
If you'll take one line team, that, in my opinion, doesn't stand a chance to do anything other than keep themselves from getting a top pick, over New York's, than there's not much left to be said. The Islanders have more depth up front than Florida.

Yes we play a defensive style. The Rangers are not the Red Wings. They don't freewheel, they don't dangle, and they don't take 40 shots a game. Our forwards are stingy on defense, with even Marion god damn Gaborik backchecking effectively. It's not high-light prone hockey.

When we start beating teams other than the bottom feeders that have been on our schedule thus far, I'll be impressed.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:59 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
When we start beating teams other than the bottom feeders that have been on our schedule thus far, I'll be impressed.
Next 4:

Fla
Wash
Philly
Pitt

could give us a better indication?

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Our offense sucks, face facts!
You have provided zero facts... so what is there to face? Gaborik did have 40+ goals his first year here and was injured last year so Im not really sure what you want from him.

Richards has not even played a full season yet so I don't get this talk about penciling him in for 90 points...

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Im honestly starting to wonder if your actually a Rangers fan or some one who has nothing better to do then troll and I really think its the latter.

Despite the fact that there are some of the most cynical Rangers fans out there on these boards, they can admit successes and some times see the silver lining.

You talk about Marc Staal like he is a bottom pairing defenseman, which he is not. You talk about our offense like it is the worst in the league which its not. You can't even be happy with a 7 game win streak.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:15 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Next 4:

Fla
Wash
Philly
Pitt

could give us a better indication?
I'll say that myself I am very eager to see how they fare against these four teams.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

There's no "right" or "wrong" way to win hockey games.

I can post the stats and it falls on deaf ears (eyes?).

But alas...

If I were to ask people to make a silhouette in Photoshop. One may use the lasso tool, one may use a mask, one may use the wand... there's no right or wrong way to accomplish the same goal.

#1 GA
#2 Pt. %
Least REG losses

We've played less games then every team in the league, and if we win tomorrow, we still have less games played and we will have 2nd highest point total in the Conference.

We win our games by playing tight, paying attention to detail, staying within our game.

Score one extra Power Play goal per game, and this is a team that contends for home ice.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Im honestly starting to wonder if your actually a Rangers fan or some one who has nothing better to do then troll and I really think its the latter.

Despite the fact that there are some of the most cynical Rangers fans out there on these boards, they can admit successes and some times see the silver lining.

You talk about Marc Staal like he is a bottom pairing defenseman, which he is not. You talk about our offense like it is the worst in the league which its not. You can't even be happy with a 7 game win streak.
Do you think for a second that I give a **** if you think I'm not a Rangers fan? Just because I'm not blinded by loyality to the team and organization the way a lot of the fans who post on this forum are doesn't mean that I don't support them unconditionally. I merely stated a fact due to a quirk in the schedule, we haven't played any of the upper echelon teams in the east as of yet and so I'll reserve my judgement of the team's success until we play and have success against the teams that I mentioned in my post. As far as Marc Staal is concerned, I've said it hundreds of times on these boards that he is a very good defensive defenseman but he is NOT a #1 d-man in any way. He would be on the 2nd pairing on half the teams in the league.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Talk to me after we play and have success against the Pens, Bruins, Flyers, Caps and Bolts.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Do you think for a second that I give a **** if you think I'm not a Rangers fan? Just because I'm not blinded by loyality to the team and organization the way a lot of the fans who post on this forum are doesn't mean that I don't support them unconditionally. I merely stated a fact due to a quirk in the schedule, we haven't played any of the upper echelon teams in the east as of yet and so I'll reserve my judgement of the team's success until we play and have success against the teams that I mentioned in my post. As far as Marc Staal is concerned, I've said it hundreds of times on these boards that he is a very good defensive defenseman but he is NOT a #1 d-man in any way. He would be on the 2nd pairing on half the teams in the league.
Except you haven't done that. You're telling us that we don't have the evidence to say the offense is good because we haven't played those teams, but at the same time telling us the offense is awful because we haven't played those teams. Either all of our evidence is valid, or none of it is.
Furthermore, one or two games against "elite teams" is nowhere near as telling an indicator as to a teams offensive abilities as 7 or 8 games are. Last year we had 7-0 blowouts against Philly, Wash (twice), and several others. We also dropped games to the (then a lottery team) Florida panthers 3-0.
The wider the sample size, the smaller the margin of error.

As for Marc Staal, I don't know what to tell you. Either you don't like his style of play, or you really hate defensive players, but there's no arguing with you over a player who's greatest detractors still recognize him as an all-star and a world-class shut-down defenseman. If you combine his play of last year and Girardi's play from this year, you have the best defensive pairing for the price. Note that I said for the price, so none of those

"Suter and Weber say hi"

But they are rather fantastic, aren't they?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Toastman

The Rangers will be fine

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
In order to support a team unconditionally you actually have to support them to begin with and that was all I was saying. Not to mention every single post reeks of arrogance which makes it hard to engage in a conversation which is one of the main reasons why we all come here.

As far as Staal is concerned you make vague posts with tons of opinion and have no facts to back them up, see the ending of the Staal thread.

Old
11-23-2011, 08:18 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
It's not all about stats, even through the streak this team wasn't playing great, I think it means people actual do care about future games...there is no way anyone should just write the Montreal game off...they should have been able to generate more against essentially an AHL caliber defense.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
This isn't "all about the stats."

You don't need to look at the box score to know that the Rangers need to do a better job getting shots on on net. Is there anyone out there that has watched the team this season that honestly hasn't thought to themselves, "Man, we aren't generating that many good shots on goal?" Honestly.

We're fresh off a seven-game winning streak. Awesome, I'm thrilled. The team has shown that they can win games even when they're not firing on all cylinders. They've done a decent job converting their somewhat limited chances, and play great defense and have excellent goaltending. All things to be happy about.

MOVING FORWARD, it's an issue we need to address. Playing solid defense and getting timely goals is a great, but at some point, we're going to need generate more chances on a more consistent basis. I just don't see the team maintaining their current pace if they can't consistently get pucks on net.

How many times has the team last in shots on goal advanced in the playoffs? I'd venture a guess that it doesn't happen frequently.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

NYR last 4 seasons

Season Record Shots/Game rank Pts Rank overall
07-08 42-27-13 3rd 9th
08-09 43-30-9 7th 12th
09-10 38-33-11 19th 21st
10-11 44-33-5 19th 18th

Last edited by NHRangerfan: 11-23-2011 at 12:02 PM.
NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote