HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Mason the answer? (All goaltending suggestions/solutions here)

View Poll Results: Is Mason the Answer?
Yes- Stick With Mason 61 34.27%
No- Trade him and get what we can 117 65.73%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2011, 06:57 AM
maz-23-

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to maz-23- Send a message via MSN to maz-23- Send a message via Yahoo to maz-23-
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Now that Ive seen Mason and Sanford. Its pretty clear I have been wrong this whole time. Ive defended Mason saying its the defense, but Sanford's play has proven to me that its Mason, but the D doesn't help much.
Looks like it... maybe this was also the solution to the offensive slump. If you as a Team just have to focus on defense all the time, cuz you know the fluky goals will come in bunches as soon as you focus on something else then just defending....
With Sanford in Goal it might turn down the Angst in the Team and lets them a bit more breathing room for creating some offense.

maz-23- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:24 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

2 in a half seasons of soft goal after soft goal would break a defense's spirit. I was wrong when I said the team quit on Arniel, it appears it only looked like that because the team, I think, had quit on Mason....

I don't think our defense is top 10 quality, but it certainly seems like the team had lost faith in Mason as the everynight starter, as a backup, I think maybe this role could go a long way in regaining some trust, but its out of the question to thrust him back into the starters role (barring more injuries and no acquistions) for the rest of the season.

Mistakes tend to get compounded when the last line of defense tends to let in shaky goals... Mason has become more inclined to let them in then not when its basically "up to him".

Sanford will wilt, eventually. All the more reason to get things going on the trade front and not stop until there's a viable option as a starter or a backup at worst.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I feel the need to point out that Dekanich has yet to play for the team.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:36 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I feel the need to point out that Dekanich has yet to play for the team.

Just a thought.
I know he's been injured and its not his fault, but didn't this line of thinking get us into this mess in the first place?

Dex wants to contribute when he comes back? Great, earn it... He has a one way deal, shouldn't be difficult to outplay Mason and Sanford is on a two way deal. Acquiring another goaltender seems like a smart move at this point, anyway you slice it.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
2 in a half seasons of soft goal after soft goal would break a defense's spirit. I was wrong when I said the team quit on Arniel, it appears it only looked like that because the team, I think, had quit on Mason....
I was thinking the exact same thing.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Acquiring another goaltender seems like a smart move at this point, anyway you slice it.
When leek half-jokingly floated acquiring Pazzy yesterday I know I didn't immediately dismiss it.

Seems like maybe that's what Legace tryout is about? As I understand it, he can't be called up on his current contract arrangement?

Old
11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
When leek half-jokingly floated acquiring Pazzy yesterday I know I didn't immediately dismiss it.

Seems like maybe that's what Legace tryout is about? As I understand it, he can't be called up on his current contract arrangement?
No he can't, he is only signed to play with Springfild.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

I THINK Columbus would have to compensate Springfield to get Legace out of a PTO for the sake of signing him. But I'm not sure.... I know he can't be called up as is.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
No he can't, he is only signed to play with Springfild.
Quote:
I THINK Columbus would have to compensate Springfield to get Legace out of a PTO for the sake of signing him. But I'm not sure.... I know he can't be called up as is.
Yeah OK thanks. Howson would also have to account for the number of contracts - another thing that's too much for me to look up.

My thinking was if he sign Pazzy to a two-way... that's another body to fuss with in and around Sanford/Dekanich/Legace. Like I said, I kinda like the idea but the contract stuff and number of bodies might not be workable.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The way I understand it, since Legace's PTO is with Springfield, he'd have to be signed to an NHL contract in order for the CBJ to call him up. Ownership has not been cheap, this year, but how many goalies are they going to pay major league money to? Right now, Sanford, Mason, and Dex are on the roster (with Dex on IR). Will they add Manny? Who goes, if they do? No matter how much many would like to see Mase as a Falcon, I doubt they'd either risk losing him for nothing or pay him NHL money to play AHL hockey. So, what I see happening, at least in the short term, is Sanford playing until he craps out. Unless Rick really damaged him, Mason will remain as the backup and work hard to be ready for his next chance. When Dex is ready, then it will be decision time for Howson - which two will stay and which will replace Legace in Springfield? My guess is that Howson remains hopeful that Mason will rebound and he can go with things as he originally planned, with Mase and Dex in Columbus and Sanford in Springy with either York or Taylor. Should Mason really be hurt or if Howson, too, has lost all faith in him, then all bets are off and a trade would shake all of this up. Then again, I could be totally off base.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Pete I think that is a good assessment of the situation.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:34 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

I don't think our defense is top 10 quality, but it certainly seems like the team had lost faith in Mason as the everynight starter, as a backup, I think maybe this role could go a long way in regaining some trust, but its out of the question to thrust him back into the starters role (barring more injuries and no acquistions) for the rest of the season.

Mistakes tend to get compounded when the last line of defense tends to let in shaky goals... Mason has become more inclined to let them in then not when its basically "up to him".

Sanford will wilt, eventually. All the more reason to get things going on the trade front and not stop until there's a viable option as a starter or a backup at worst.
I am glad I was right when I said that not Arniel but Mason is the reason why we lose and that nobody would help us.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:54 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The way I understand it, since Legace's PTO is with Springfield, he'd have to be signed to an NHL contract in order for the CBJ to call him up. Ownership has not been cheap, this year, but how many goalies are they going to pay major league money to? Right now, Sanford, Mason, and Dex are on the roster (with Dex on IR). Will they add Manny? Who goes, if they do? No matter how much many would like to see Mase as a Falcon, I doubt they'd either risk losing him for nothing or pay him NHL money to play AHL hockey. So, what I see happening, at least in the short term, is Sanford playing until he craps out. Unless Rick really damaged him, Mason will remain as the backup and work hard to be ready for his next chance. When Dex is ready, then it will be decision time for Howson - which two will stay and which will replace Legace in Springfield? My guess is that Howson remains hopeful that Mason will rebound and he can go with things as he originally planned, with Mase and Dex in Columbus and Sanford in Springy with either York or Taylor. Should Mason really be hurt or if Howson, too, has lost all faith in him, then all bets are off and a trade would shake all of this up. Then again, I could be totally off base.
Would Legace also have to clear waivers?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
squarelaces

The day Dex was hurt, 11/11/11, (wait that could be a new thread), Howson said he was actively seeking out a trade for a goalie. Has Sanford's play changed that? Has Mase's injury? Has Nabokov's injury? Although I don't have any good ideas on that front, bottom line, 11 days later (there it is again), no deal.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:19 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
The day Dex was hurt, 11/11/11, (wait that could be a new thread), Howson said he was actively seeking out a trade for a goalie. Has Sanford's play changed that? Has Mase's injury? Has Nabokov's injury? Although I don't have any good ideas on that front, bottom line, 11 days later (there it is again), no deal.
Howson wanted to get Rask but Boston did not agree. Nabokov is injured and has NTC (or NMC), Miller had concussion so I doubt Enroth will be traded, Lindback is from the same division, Luongo is not good and injured now so Schneider will not be traded. The second question is value for a goalie we do not know what GMs want. We will see but I hope we keep Vermette he is very good on the wing.

Old
11-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm interested in seeing Dekanich at some point, his future is probably the stuff of a backup but he is 25 which indicates some degree of maturity...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm interested in seeing Dekanich at some point, his future is probably the stuff of a backup but he is 25 which indicates some degree of maturity...
On what do you base your judgement of his future?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:51 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Tim Thomas sends you greet

Old
11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
On what do you base your judgement of his future?
There isn't much out there on this guy but he has an extensive career in the NCAA and the minors prior to his Nashville appearance. He appears to me to be more of a career minor league player or at the most an NHL backup, the Ivy League did produce Ken Dryden tho so one never knows. The thing that I'm interested in the most is if his age impacts his late start in the NHL.

Quote:
He has all the physical tools required for an NHL goaltender, but has work to do on the mental aspect of his game. His recognition and anticipation could use work, because he won't be able to rely solely on skill at the NHL level.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mark_dekanich

Quote:
Backup goaltender with a bit of upside.
http://forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?4549

Old
11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Tim Thomas sends you greet
Yeah, ole Timmy has done well.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
kovultrick

yann danis just saying

kovultrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:30 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Yann Danis is the kind of deal I could see Howson pulling off, for better or worse.

No one's justified to me yet how Rask, Schneider, Bernier would be available for anything less than a king's ransom. They're more likely to exchange struggling goaltenders, like COL and WAS last year, or find an AHL guy ready to make the next step (but they kind of did this already in Dekanich).

Personally, I'd like to see them go after a guy like Neuvirth. Yes, he's struggling too, but it's the kind of 'change of scenery' deal that I think fits this situation more than trying to get someone else's stud backup.

At any rate, I think there is zero chance Mason is an effective option in a CBJ sweater again. I just think that ship has sailed, and right or wrong, his shipment out of Columbus, either via Springfield or trade is necessary at this point.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
kovultrick

yeah danis is a fan fave, a bit short but seems to have a good nhl record as a backup, must be a reason hes getting fished around he may not be a starter but he is bang for buck.

thats all i know all im saying is hes available out there

kovultrick is offline   Reply With Quote