HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the 09-10 team?

Old
11-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
And then we scared his brother away from this board.
Chris Higgins's brother used to post here?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Chris Higgins's brother used to post here?
yep.

imho that team (the 9/10) was extremely unlucky. they had a + goal differential, and as such you would have expected them to make the playoffs when 2 teams with negative goal differentials, Ottawa and Montreal, made it. That's the power of playing in a difficult division with NJ, Pittsburgh, and Philly, all of whom were capable of making the finals, of which the Flyers actually did make the finals.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 05:51 AM
cenas*

Freaking Rozival was on that team..

Plays 2 periods decently until tries to breakout pass to the middle of ice and it works. For the opposing team. Breakaway goal..

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers needed skill at center so they picked up Christensen off of waivers. That's how bad things were. Prospal had knee surgery after Christmas and was not the same player. Christensen took Vinnys spot with Gaborik. Back up goalie was a huge issue. Valliquette stunk. Johnson did his best but he wasn't ready for the NHL. Sather picked up Auld on re-entry but he never played. Torts and management clashed with Redden and Brashear respectively. Kotalik went from playing the right point on the PP with MDZ to barely playing. Sather found Sutter to take the Kotalik contract off his hands. The Rangers didn't have a 7th D to replace Redden or Rozsival when Torts wanted to sit them.
Management rectified the back up goalie issue with the addition of Biron in the summer of 10. Sather brought in Joker who was terrible. It really did matter how Joker played because they moved longer term back to Calgary. Speaking of Calgary,Drury was concussed by Glencross and Dubinsky broke his hand blocking a shot when the Rangers played in Calgary. Fall of 2009.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:11 AM
MSG the place to be*

On the 08-09 team...the two games in Europe against Tampa were probably the most one-sided games we've played since the lockout. And we won like 2-1 in each I believe.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:48 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
That team had no secondary scoring. It was all Gaborik.

Lots of deadweights too. Higgins, Rozsival, Brashear, Drury....

I don't remember clearly but the 7-1 start probably had a lot to do with Gaborik being great and Lundqvist.
I do remember Del Zotto with the stretch passes to spring Gaborik.
And then the league caught up and it was downhill from there.
the line of zherdev voros and dubs tore it up to start the year freakin Voros had 5g 4a early. Zherdev disappeared Dubs did likewise, cally got hurt I think, Higgins never showed up and Gabs was held off the scoresheet by teams gameplanning specifically to stop him

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 08:50 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
the line of zherdev voros and dubs tore it up to start the year freakin Voros had 5g 4a early. Zherdev disappeared Dubs did likewise, cally got hurt I think, Higgins never showed up and Gabs was held off the scoresheet by teams gameplanning specifically to stop him
You just combined the 08-09 team with the 09-10 team. #SUPERTEAM #FNL

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Higgins has never gotten his game back since Montreal. 07-08 was his last good healthy season. Montreal refused to trade Higgins to Atlanta in a deal for Hossa at the 08 deadline. He lost his confidence and has never regained it. Rangers,Calagry,Florida and now Vancouver.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
district9

ales kotalik was a -18. higgins was a -9. we had brashear and jody shelly on the team at different points in the season. trading away blair betts i also felt had a lot to do with the team underperforming. he was one of their better grinding players throughout the year, and especially in the playoffs (until brashear ruined his rangers career). brashear was basically useless, and i'm sure there was at least some locker room issue with him there after what he did with betts. and while shelly was arguably the best player on the team over the final couple of games (i know thats shocking to hear) he was pretty terrible for the rest of his tenure here.

this was also before brian boyle and brandon prust got it together. aaron voros was worthless and PA parenteau was nowhere close to NHL ready. olli jokinen was brought in too and he was just terrible here.

i thought that 09-10 team was honestly really bad, aside from gaborik. we had four guys who were, at that point, enforcers playing in our lineup throughout the year. the team had no chemistry. the team had absolutely NO heart.

wade redden was also on the 09-10 team, although i dont think he deserves the flak he got for that season. he was very average, but with his contract in the lineup for an average player there was no room to go out and make bigger moves. girardi wasn't anywhere close to the player he is now. rozsival was also very average that year.

even though the rangers missed the playoffs on that shootout, it was a miracle they even got to that point. they put together an insane run during the last 2-3 weeks of the season to even get into contention for the playoffs. this was simply a bad team.

Last edited by district9: 11-22-2011 at 03:13 PM.
district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:20 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I thought Redden played very well in that series, actually - that pair as a whole, really - but my memory is rather foggy. That was, essentially, my first year as a 'legitimate' Ranger fan.
Redden was our best defenseman in that series. I remember it very well.

1000th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 10:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, was 09-10 the year we were the Penguin's *****es? I mean we lost like every game we played against them? If we had a normal year against them we make the playoffs. On the other hand I think we were better than average against the Pens last year and that was probably what put us in.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Machinehead
Thank You Cam

vCash: 50

ALL his fault ^^

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 03:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I thought Redden played very well in that series, actually - that pair as a whole, really - but my memory is rather foggy. That was, essentially, my first year as a 'legitimate' Ranger fan.
Damn. You're that recent a convert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Higgins has never gotten his game back since Montreal. 07-08 was his last good healthy season. Montreal refused to trade Higgins to Atlanta in a deal for Hossa at the 08 deadline. He lost his confidence and has never regained it. Rangers,Calagry,Florida and now Vancouver.
Higgins never had a game. He was being fed by an underrated playmaker in Koivu. Without an elite passer, he's a non-factor on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

ALL his fault ^^
Honored member of the All-Underachievers club, beside Gomez and Kovalev. Can't stand these inefficient, inconsistent players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Giacomin

I always thought the turning point of that season was the game against Montreal when they had a 5-0 lead and ended up losing in overtime. At the time the Rangers were fighting with the Flyers and the Canadiens for the the last 2 playoff spots and that loss sent the Rangers into a mini tailspin. I think the Flyers got the last spot by one point and Montreal the 7th by two points over the Rangers. In my opinion if the Rangers didn,t blow that lead they would have made the playoffs and were primed to do some damage.

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:47 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
I always thought the turning point of that season was the game against Montreal when they had a 5-0 lead and ended up losing in overtime. At the time the Rangers were fighting with the Flyers and the Canadiens for the the last 2 playoff spots and that loss sent the Rangers into a mini tailspin. I think the Flyers got the last spot by one point and Montreal the 7th by two points over the Rangers. In my opinion if the Rangers didn,t blow that lead they would have made the playoffs and were primed to do some damage.
I believe that 5-0 blown lead. I remember we dominated the Habs that year including a 5-3 win on Super Bowl Sunday Feb 3, 2008, where we came back from a 3-0 lead. Also the Flyers got 7th place and the Habs got 8th in 09-10.

Old
11-19-2011, 01:00 PM
DM23BK30

Henrik had an off year. Lots of inconsistency. He was great early and great down the stretch, but I specifically remember him letting in a lot of late goals. I think the crusher was in Toronto when he was cursing out everybody and himself and they lost in OT.

It was a sad season. You know it's sad when Prust-Anisimov-Shelly is your best line for almost 3 weeks.

But still, in the end, it was all because of PA Papsmear and a lazy penalty against the Flyers. I'm convinced that Hank would have held the lead if they played at even strength.

Lots of scrubs on that team too. Papsmear, Higgins, Kotalik, Zherdev, Voros, Lisin, Gilroy.

I will say this -- the only reason why they came close to making the playoffs was because the bottom of the conference was terrible. Normally, they would have been eliminated with about a week, maybe two to go.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:08 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
It was a sad season. You know it's sad when Prust-Anisimov-Shelly is your best line for almost 3 weeks.

Lots of scrubs on that team too. Papsmear, Higgins, Kotalik, Zherdev, Voros, Lisin, Gilroy.
Sometimes I need posts and threads like these to jog my memory so I can appreciate how nice it is to watch the current squad.

11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Damn. You're that recent a convert?
I was always a Ranger fan, but I never started watching until late 2008. Couldn't comprehend it like I do now until then, anyway. I was in 7th grade then, was in 8th during 08/09.

08-09 was my first full Ranger team. What a start.

11-21-2011, 05:06 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

we have a mod that isnt even out of high school?!

oh man that makes me feel old

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 08:49 PM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko23 View Post
we have a mod that isnt even out of high school?!

oh man that makes me feel old
i'm only twenty and that makes me feel old

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
satrabyk

One word Antropov, anyone who says anything different is wrong.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:22 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i'm only twenty and that makes me feel old
I'm 25 and I think it just means he's young not that we're old.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
One word Antropov, anyone who says anything different is wrong.
I dont get it. He wasnt even on that team. Unless you're implying we should have re-signed him for 4/16 and this is why the team struggled, which is an insane point of view.

That team, for one, just wasnt very good. Torts' stubborn coaching during a 50 game mid-season swoon didnt help things either.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont get it. He wasnt even on that team. Unless you're implying we should have re-signed him for 4/16 and this is why the team struggled, which is an insane point of view.

That team, for one, just wasnt very good. Torts' stubborn coaching during a 50 game mid-season swoon didnt help things either.
Yes that is exactly what i am implying. He is a solid second line center and was our first line center when he was here by a mile if you didnt see that your insane. He along with Dubi and Avery were the top line and the offense that gave us hope. He is an underrated player and makes guys around him better. You have him the following year you get in the playoffs, i guarantee that. But hey your free to disagree all i kno is what i see on the ice and when he was hear he was damn effective and was our top center. We replaced that with Higgins and Kotalik for MORe money and did much less, go figure.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote