HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2011, 05:05 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

vCash: 500
CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/S...4/-/index.html

Sources told Local 6 that former University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer has agreed in principle to become the next head coach of Ohio State University, and will be introduced in the coming days.

According to Sports Director David Pingalore's sources, Meyer has agreed to a seven-year, $40 million deal.

On Monday, Meyer told the Gainesville Sun that he felt good enough mentally and physically to return to coaching, but there had been no interview with Ohio State.

Sources told Pingalore that Meyer will bring several current UF assistant coaches with him to Columbus, including D.J. Durkin, the Gators' linebackers coach, who will be the OSU defensive coordinate.

Mickey Marotti, the strength coach at UF, will also join Meyer and become OSU's Director of Football Operations, according to sources.

Luke Fickell, who is the interim head coach at OSU, will stay on as an assistant head coach, said sources.

11-23-2011, 06:39 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/S...4/-/index.html

Sources told Local 6 that former University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer has agreed in principle to become the next head coach of Ohio State University, and will be introduced in the coming days.

According to Sports Director David Pingalore's sources, Meyer has agreed to a seven-year, $40 million deal.

On Monday, Meyer told the Gainesville Sun that he felt good enough mentally and physically to return to coaching, but there had been no interview with Ohio State.

Sources told Pingalore that Meyer will bring several current UF assistant coaches with him to Columbus, including D.J. Durkin, the Gators' linebackers coach, who will be the OSU defensive coordinate.

Mickey Marotti, the strength coach at UF, will also join Meyer and become OSU's Director of Football Operations, according to sources.

Luke Fickell, who is the interim head coach at OSU, will stay on as an assistant head coach, said sources.
This is looking more and more like a certainity. I listened to "Buckeye Roundtable" last night and they (Rothman, Stanley, Lachey) were almost talking in absolutes that this would be the case. Meyer was slated to call the OSU-Mich game with Spielman this week and due to the contact with OSU that Meyer has already now had (as reported by ESPN) Meyer has been pulled from the game, I think its 90 percent right now...

I hate Demetrius Stanley, so of course I loved it that he's hating this proposition and he seems to praying on the hope that Meyer's family doesn't "approve" of the hiring, therefore it can go to someone else. Stanley has always been beating the drum for Fickell, and while I can understand his compassion as a former teammate of the guy, its just delved into the ridiculous lately, he's been grasping at any argument to speak out against a new coach.

I'd honestly say the chances that Fickell stays in some capacity on would be 50/50 at this point. I don't think the university can dictate who stays and who goes, staff-wise, if this is the case, nor should they. But Fickell has proven to be an extremely talented coordinator and again being at the helm of a great defense will get him offers elsewhere.... I will say that if Meyer has someone other than Fickell in mind as the D-Coordinator, then Luke should just start fielding offers.... Anything below a D-Coordinator would be a step down and there are several places that would likely give him a shot at D-Coordinator where he arguably might have a better chance at success in the immediate future.

Will reiterate that Meyer's staff including Spielman and Herbie is still very much unlikely. Spielman said as much yesterday that if it was 10-15 years down the road, when his kids are grown and moved out, he'd been more inclined, but he reiterated that he plays an extremely important role for the university now in fundraising, etc.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 11-23-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old
11-23-2011, 07:05 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
This is looking more and more like a certainty. I listened to "Buckeye Round table" last night and they (Rothman, Stanley, Lachey) were almost talking in absolutes that this would be the case. Meyer was slated to call the OSU-Mich game with Spielman this week and due to the contact with OSU that Meyer has already now had (as reported by ESPN) Meyer has been pulled from the game, I think its 90 percent right now...

I hate Demetrius Stanley, so of course I loved it that he's hating this proposition and he seems to praying on the hope that Meyer's family doesn't "approve" of the hiring, therefore it can go to someone else. Stanley has always been beating the drum for Fickel, and while I can understand his compassion as a former teammate of the guy, its just delved into the ridiculous lately, he's been grasping at any argument to speak out against a new coach.

I'd honestly say the chances that Fickell stays in some capacity on would be 50/50 at this point. I don't think the university can dictate who stays and who goes, staff-wise, if this is the case, nor should they. But Fickell has proven to be an extremely talented coordinator and again being at the helm of a great defense will get him offers elsewhere.... I will say that if Meyer has someone other than Fickell in mind as the D-Coordinator, then Luke should just start fielding offers.... Anything below a D-Coordinator would be a step down and there are several places that would likely give him a shot at D-Coordinator where he arguably might have a better chance at success in the immediate future.

Will reiterate that Meyer's staff including Spielman and Herbie is still very much unlikely. Spielman said as much yesterday that if it was 10-15 years down the road, when his kids are grown and moved out, he'd been more inclined, but he reiterated that he plays an extremely important role for the university now in fundraising, etc.
A couple of thoughts:

ESPN denies that Meyer was moved to the studio, saying he was set to go there, anyway, because of the number of big rivalry games to be played.

Rothman and Stanley are both idiots.

If Fickel does not return as boss, I want to see Meyer (or whoever) bring in their own defensive coordinator who knows something about pass defense.

I heard Herbie say he'd be intrigued by an offer to return as qb coach, but his current situation is too good and he enjoys it too much.

I dislike Meyer, but now believe he fits what is needed for the job: someone who understands Ohio/Midwestern football, yet has southern experience and connections. The only teams I've seen this year that can play the pass have been LSU and Bama (and neither has much of an offense). Look at the numbers being put up by qbs around the country, nobody can stop the air game! Time for OSU to enter the 21st Century and mix some imagination into their own offense, while learning what they should do when they see that floaty thing up in the air. With all the OSU dbs in the pros, the talent has been there, just not the coaching. Meyer fits the profile, whether I like him or not. His hiring makes sense.

Old
11-23-2011, 07:21 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
A couple of thoughts:

I dislike Meyer, but now believe he fits what is needed for the job: someone who understands Ohio/Midwestern football, yet has southern experience and connections.
Isn't Urban from up near where you're from Pete?

I singled out this comment because I think it speaks exactly like most OSU fans think now (the comment about the experience of the South and understanding of Ohio), even if they won't admit it Meyer has extensive experience all over the country, From Colorado State, BG, Utah, and the SEC. I'm amazed that a small percentage see Meyer as an "Enemy of Ohio" simply because the of the national championship loss to Florida. Urban Meyer looks like a slam dunk at the right time here.

Personally, everything I've read since he left Florida seems to indicate to me that wherever he ends up as a coach next will see a bit of a more relaxed Urban Meyer. I think SEC-football ravaged him and I think it turned jim into a bit of a monster, really. While we have extremely high standards and expectation here, Meyer should find the level of competition more easy to cope with. Hoke Dantoino and Beilema look like top notch guys, and I think Penn State could, potentially make a great hire (eventhough I've been reading a lot of non-sexy names thrown around) but the coaching in this conference is pretty subpar with guys like Kill, Zook and Hope holding down jobs with teams that have the potential to be better programs and with programs that have always seemed to remain in the rearview with Indiana, Northwestern. Hell, even Iowa seems content with their lot in this conference.

Old
11-23-2011, 07:28 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
It's mindboggling how bad the sports broadcasting is in Columbus. Outside of Paul Keels, it's pathetic. The Jackets, 97.1, the local tv guys are just awful.

Old
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
This race irritates me. Tony Stewart is my favorite driver, and he might have just screwed himself over with that strategy. Any other NASCAR fans here?
congrats...as a Roush guy, I was really pulling for Carl, he just couldn't get out front at the end....

as for the other topic here....

UM is a big disappointment to me if he takes a job this soon. When he was on the sidelines last year he was burnt out and defeated. He left quoting his health, his desire to watch his girls play vball, and he wanted to see them graduate. Then he takes the job with ESPiN where he travels upwards of 5 days a week, I shook my head, but whatever, the guy can't not work, not in his blood.

But this is something that just kills any respect I had for him. Only one year after you're going to take another job? No way that fire has come back that quickly, his girls definately haven't graduated, and they are still both playing quality vball. And no, it has nothing to do with where he is going, this only has to do with the words he said to GatorNation when leaving and the fact that 11 months later he's gone back on them. That is disheartening...

Old
11-23-2011, 08:17 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post

But this is something that just kills any respect I had for him. Only one year after you're going to take another job? No way that fire has come back that quickly, his girls definately haven't graduated, and they are still both playing quality vball. And no, it has nothing to do with where he is going, this only has to do with the words he said to GatorNation when leaving and the fact that 11 months later he's gone back on them. That is disheartening...
Or there is an even worse reading of the situation for GatorNation.

Maybe this was Meyer's plan all along and the timeline got accelerated because of Tressel's shenanigans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BekiE6yq0mQ

Old
11-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
A couple of thoughts:

ESPN denies that Meyer was moved to the studio, saying he was set to go there, anyway, because of the number of big rivalry games to be played.

If Fickel does not return as boss, I want to see Meyer (or whoever) bring in their own defensive coordinator who knows something about pass defense.

I heard Herbie say he'd be intrigued by an offer to return as qb coach, but his current situation is too good and he enjoys it too much.

I dislike Meyer, but now believe he fits what is needed for the job: someone who understands Ohio/Midwestern football, yet has southern experience and connections. The only teams I've seen this year that can play the pass have been LSU and Bama (and neither has much of an offense). Look at the numbers being put up by qbs around the country, nobody can stop the air game! Time for OSU to enter the 21st Century and mix some imagination into their own offense, while learning what they should do when they see that floaty thing up in the air. With all the OSU dbs in the pros, the talent has been there, just not the coaching. Meyer fits the profile, whether I like him or not. His hiring makes sense.
Haven't followed college FB as closely in the past couple years, and I guess I don't really care who the next coach at tOSU is. That said, I'm not a fan of Meyer myself and I don't know as he's a guarantor of success. He strikes me as the same mindset that resulted in the heavy pursuit of TP - the "this is where college FB is going, this is the kind of player/coach we need" etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
It's mindboggling how bad the sports broadcasting is in Columbus. Outside of Paul Keels, it's pathetic. The Jackets, 97.1, the local tv guys are just awful.
This reminds me of Hitch's comment regarding Kris Russel being your best defenseman.

Old
11-23-2011, 08:44 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Can I ask you where I can see the games of Reds? Thanks.

Old
11-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Or there is an even worse reading of the situation for GatorNation.

Maybe this was Meyer's plan all along and the timeline got accelerated because of Tressel's shenanigans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BekiE6yq0mQ

i have no doubts that it was his plan all along, its no secret he had a free buyout clause in his UF contract for tOSU, ND, and Mich...and I'm sure that's the exact reason for it is that Tress was supposed to be here 2 more years before his own self imposed age 60 retirement...just disheartening that's all...

not shocking...
RT @CBSSportsUF: #gators Meyer shoots down job offer report http://*******/ruSnUX

Old
11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
This reminds me of Hitch's comment regarding Kris Russel being your best defenseman.
I agree. Keels has a great voice for radio, but I hate all his little mannerism and pet phrases. I also think he knows absolutely nothing about basketball and wonder how Stokes keeps from choking him.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Looks like an option, but not free. Archived games are the only ones you'll be able to watch now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions...=MLBTVREDIRECT

Old
11-23-2011, 09:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Isn't Urban from up near where you're from Pete?
He's an Ohio boy, KBW, but not from my area. He was born in Toledo and grew up in Ashtabula, so he's not a river rat. I do think his background in Ohio, both from a personal and professional perspective, is important to understanding what is needed at OSU in terms of healing and re-invigorating the program. I guess I'm hoping that he the same type of impact on perceptions regarding football as has Matta on basketball.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
If you're thinking of following them during next season, they broadcast on FSN Ohio, just as do the Jackets, but they are on the southern Ohio outlets. They also have a very extensive radio network, as well.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:31 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
If you're thinking of following them during next season, they broadcast on FSN Ohio, just as do the Jackets, but they are on the southern Ohio outlets. They also have a very extensive radio network, as well.
and stream to Europe?

Old
11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
RickS

Dispatch just reported the Urban Meyer is the next coach, to be announced next week.

Link:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...hio-state.html

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 11-23-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Dispatch just reported the Urban Meyer is the next coach, to be announced next week.

Link:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...hio-state.html
Good. A bit sad for Fickell that this leaked out before the Michigan game, but recruiting is about to begin and it was necessary to get it out by next week anyways...

Old
11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
BluejacketNut

Putting Fickell in charge was like giving a 16 year old a Ferrari for his first car. Hopefully this can unlock an SEC portion for recruiting, but it will still be tough to convince the southern boys to come play up north

Old
11-23-2011, 11:57 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Ooohhh, so noooooowwwww we believe what the Dispatch reports.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Putting Fickell in charge was like giving a 16 year old a Ferrari for his first car. Hopefully this can unlock an SEC portion for recruiting, but it will still be tough to convince the southern boys to come play up north
Ohio State has recruited Florida well dating back to the Cooper era.

Why do people act like Ohio is some remote hinterland?

The current roster has 18 guys from SEC county, 9 of whom are from Florida specifically.

Of course the south will never displace Ohio and Pa. as the most fertile recruiting states for Ohio State given the geography, but the program has always done a solid job of getting players from "SEC country."

I'd expect Meyer and his staff to be on part, if not a little better.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
congrats...as a Roush guy, I was really pulling for Carl, he just couldn't get out front at the end....

as for the other topic here....

UM is a big disappointment to me if he takes a job this soon. When he was on the sidelines last year he was burnt out and defeated. He left quoting his health, his desire to watch his girls play vball, and he wanted to see them graduate. Then he takes the job with ESPiN where he travels upwards of 5 days a week, I shook my head, but whatever, the guy can't not work, not in his blood.

His dream job came calling. He either expected it when he stepped down or didn't. Either way, it came calling and he answered. Can't blame a guy for that, and I would imagine that his family is understanding (probably frustrated too) for taking the job he's always wanted.

Also, college football coaches aren't the people you should be expecting to tug on your heart strings.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:22 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Ohio State has recruited Florida well dating back to the Cooper era.

Why do people act like Ohio is some remote hinterland?

The current roster has 18 guys from SEC county, 9 of whom are from Florida specifically.

Of course the south will never displace Ohio and Pa. as the most fertile recruiting states for Ohio State given the geography, but the program has always done a solid job of getting players from "SEC country."

I'd expect Meyer and his staff to be on part, if not a little better.
People act like Ohio is a remote hinterland because it is to southern kids Northern states got the leftovers who werent offered scholarships to the big SEC teams, he'll pull much more weight down there from his success in the SEC then any Big 10 coaches coming down to recruit.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:36 PM
36kap36

As much as I care about the whole Meyer coaching situation, I just have to say one thing; Let's go Blue!

Old
11-23-2011, 01:24 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36kap36 View Post
As much as I care about the whole Meyer coaching situation, I just have to say one thing; Let's go Blue!
This could actually be the worse thing for ol Michigan....without the news reports, there is zero reason what so ever that Michigan should lose to the Fickle Buckeyes, but now they got the 'lets win this one for him' mentality and may give them a shot....i certainly wouldnt put money on OSU though, but this at least gives some extra juice to it.

Old
11-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

This Urban Meyer news fest is interrupted with the fact Grady Sizemore is back with the Indians for 2012 with a one-year deal.

You may now return to Urban Meyer talk.

Closed Thread