HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny B

Old
11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
JagerPuck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I've been calling Briere "Danny Phantom" for about 4 seasons now, maybe more.

Care to guess why he has that nickname?

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, I've watched a lot of Semin. He dogs it a lot, and has for a while. Semin would be hated on this team immediately. For instance...Briere at least tries to backcheck, he just isn't good at defense...Semin is bad at defense and doesn't even attempt it. From what I can gather from the media here, he is a bad character in the room as well. He's also terrible with the media, which just won't fly here. Washington's media is more forgiving, but he'd get torn to shreds for it in Philly. Briere has a reputation for stepping up in the playoffs...Semin is inconsistent as hell. I remember he had one or two great games against Montreal, but I don't remember any other great playoff performances from him besides that.

If Carter was disliked here, Semin would be despised. He's very Zherdevesque.
You clearly need to watch Semin more then. He is not a bad defensive player at all. He is actually very, very good in defense. He is lazy though.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
97FlyersKing18

Please elaborate why you call him "Danny Phantom" over the past 4 seasons...it surely isn't for his 59 points in 57 playoffs games since he has been a Flyer.

The Flyers knew that they were getting a one-dimensional player that was elite on the PP and he has proven to be thus-far. He was brought in to be a #1 Center and the Flyers used their great 1st round picks to develop Schenn and Couts (from Richards and Carter trades) and Giroux so Briere didn't have to be that guy at this point of his career. Sure, he takes a lot of stupid and selfish stick-work penalties, but he has also scored a lot of big and timely goals for this organization in the past 4 years and has generally elevated/validated the games of other high-priced acquisitions (Hartnell, Leino, Lupul, Prospal and Knuble).

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Swiper the Fox

regardless of what's happening this regular season..........
it's the playoffs (which are more important ) and typically where Mr. Briere super-excels

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:10 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
I've been calling Briere "Danny Phantom" for about 4 seasons now, maybe more.

Care to guess why he has that nickname?
No clue? Because you know nothing about hockey?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:31 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
You clearly need to watch Semin more then. He is not a bad defensive player at all. He is actually very, very good in defense. He is lazy though.
He's good through the neutral zone, but not so much in his own end. If he can pick off a pass, he will, and he usually succeeds. He often fails to push the matter, though, and the fact that he isn't a center helps him greatly.

11-23-2011, 11:35 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Semin is bad at defense and doesn't even attempt it.
This is simply not true.

Semin is a much better defensive player than Briere. He's a much better defensive forward than most forwards, actually.

Semin's only issue is consistency, and it's a big one. But to call Semin a terrible defensive forward shows that you dont watch Semin as much as you claim to have.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

I've watched him spend far too much time at the blue line not participating while the puck is in deep. I've seen him stop lots of rushes and pick lots of passes, but I've also seen him be a bystander a lot while others were doing the work.

edit: So, he can be good defensively when he wants to be. Problem is, he's lazy. So I've seen him fail to put out the effort consistently. At least Briere is always trying; I'll take a player who tries over one who doesn't.

edit 2: For someone who is supposedly so good defensively, his -3 puts him near the bottom of a team that is mostly positive. his 9 points in 18 games is underwhelming too.

edit 3: and his GAON/60 is 3.14, 4th worst on the Caps. Briere is 2.83, which puts him in the top half on Philly in terms of defense.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-23-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:59 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I've watched him spend far too much time at the blue line not participating while the puck is in deep.
You realize he's a winger, right? The man on the blue line is his responsibility... not the guy in the corner.

Quote:
I've seen him stop lots of rushes and pick lots of passes, but I've also seen him be a bystander a lot while others were doing the work.
His game is not one that physically overwhelms his man. His defensive ability stems from his ability to read the play and react to it by getting sticks in lanes and disrupt opportunities.

Quote:
edit: So, he can be good defensively when he wants to be. Problem is, he's lazy. So I've seen him fail to put out the effort consistently. At least Briere is always trying; I'll take a player who tries over one who doesn't.
Agree 100%, I'd much rather have Briere on this team than Semin. I'm just saying that Semin is better defensively.

Quote:
edit 2: For someone who is supposedly so good defensively, his -3 puts him near the bottom of a team that is mostly positive. his 9 points in 18 games is underwhelming too.
I expect you to have a better argument than citing +/- with little context

There's no doubt that he's been underwhelming this year. I just had issue with the assertion that he's bad defensively. It's become some sort of stereotype on Russian forwards that people cite way too often because it's easier than actually watching them play. Not saying that's the case here, just that I see it said way too often

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Check edit 3 for better argument. I have been watching Semin play. He's been terrible. I want no part of him, since splitting him from his best friend OV is likely only going to be detrimental, based on all reports on his personality. I wouldn't be shocked to see him return to Russia if the Caps don't re-sign him.

I'll see if I can turn up a podcast of an interview 106.7 did with a reporter from Sovietsky Sports. It was eye opening, and the final nail in the coffin for me when it comes to Semin. The reporter was even trying to make Semin look good, and he failed miserably.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Mike2000z28

Personally i think Briere is doing fine. I mean hes a tiny guy and he needs guys to work with and get chemistry. Its totally not his fault right now.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:21 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I've watched him spend far too much time at the blue line not participating while the puck is in deep. I've seen him stop lots of rushes and pick lots of passes, but I've also seen him be a bystander a lot while others were doing the work.

Really? Cause I won't. Briere frequently slacks off in the defensive zone too. That's the reason he takes so many lazy stick penalties. But on top of the laziness, he is completely inept in his own zone. Briere's laziness / ineptitude combo has led to more turnovers / more goals for the opposing team this year than Semin's inconsistency has.

You mean kind of like how Danny's @ the bottom of a team that is mostly positive? You mean kind of like how Danny's production in terms of pts / 60 is really unimpressive? The whole point is that both players are struggling, but both could / might be better on another team. I think Semin would fit in well here. We could use a sniper really badly. I think Briere would fit in well in Washington. He'd kill it on their first PP unit w/ Ovie and Backstrom.
And even if Semin doesn't end up working out here, you aren't locked in long term like we currently are w/ Danny. That 6.5M could be used on Ryan Suter or Zach Parise or (insert name here). It would be good for this team to get rid of the 34 year old when the rest of our core of players is sub 25.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

It would be bad for this team to add Semin's personality over Briere's. On top of that, Semin has been downright awful this year. Briere has been better in pretty much every aspect of the game.

I also really, really don't feel like watching the media tear Semin to shreds. If they thought Richards and Carter partied too much or that Zherdev wasn't a team player then they'd have the time of their lives with Semin. He'd snap them back into full-on TMZ mode. It's a distraction this team doesn't need right now.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Semin? 4 real yo? What part of Snider and Holmgren wanting character guys in the locker room from here on in do some Semin backers not get?

Moreover, seems like people don't recall the ripping Semin received by Matt Bradley who is pretty well respected ...

Quote:
Former Capitals winger Matt Bradley: Alexander Semin ‘just doesn’t care’ (updated)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...sELJ_blog.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Semin? 4 real yo? What part of Snider and Holmgren wanting character guys in the locker room from here on in do some Semin backers not get?

Moreover, seems like people don't recall the ripping Semin received by Matt Bradley who is pretty well respected ...
Yeeeepppppp.

The Sovietsky reporter I mentioned was calling in to defend Semin after this article came out. That failed because the reporter answered all questions with complete honesty, so Semin ended up looking worse.

It was basically: "Sure, Semin only fraternizes with OV, doesn't often hang out with other members of the team, he and OV party hard every chance they get, treats the fans and media with scorn, and he's a diva...but he's really a fun guy if he likes you! Really! Don't be so mean!"

If such statements from a former teammate and subsequent interview had come out about Richards/Carter/Any Flyers Star, the media fallout would have been insane. It's largely blown over here since it doesn't involve the Redskins. This team doesn't need that.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 11-23-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old
11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
qwertysac

Are you guys seriously going to start and try to make briere this seasons scapegoat?

He's putting up points, he hasnt been great, but nothing that warrants trade talk.

As far as im concerned he's the same briere we've seen all the other seasons except his shooting percentage is down abit. When players go down with injury and we have him to pick up the slack you guys will be glad.

Besides the same people wanting to trade him for semin will be the same people who will cheer him on when he turns it up in the playoffs as usual and semin is nowhere to be seen.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Wonder if the Flyers could swing something around Briere for Semin...

Semin has been benched in Washington for his poor play and it seems like he might not be in their long-term plans.

Both players are struggling w/ their current clubs and could use a shake-up and I feel like both would fit in better w/ their new clubs after the trade...

The Flyers could really use a sniper like Semin both short and long term and could really use an elite winger (since we're stacked up the middle for the foreseeable future w/ Giroux-Schenn-Couturier).

The cap values would be relatively identical.
Look I to have been somewhat disappointed by Danny's play this season. But Semin(I used to like this guy) is a cancer to his team. However I would move Danny if the right deal came along.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Ryker

So that people don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for a trade or anything, either, and as much as I like Semin, I think Briere is a better fit for the Flyers team. And I wasn't even commenting on his play this year, I was just disputing the assertions that he suddenly switches on beast mode in the playoffs, in comparison to cruising during the regular season. I think he's a good player that delivers steadily throughout the year, although I'm not really sure he's worth the $6.5 mil. that count towards the cap.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Flyerfan4life

we cant get rid of Briere..

who would we yell "HOBBIT" about then ???

/sadpanda

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
qwertysac

no comment

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Attaboy Danny. Who should I do next?