Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Iggy play on the PK?

Old
11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
haQ Loob

vCash: 500
Should Iggy play on the PK?

I don't think I've seen Iggy play on the PK since the run of '04. I understand the reasons for not playing him in these situations, but I wonder if it's worth giving it a try for a few reasons:
- he was good at it back then, and it may help improve his defensive game
- he takes a while to get his timing back each season, and it may engage him in the game better
- it may demonstrate more leadership and rally the team to put in a full effort like their captain if he's role modeling an all-out attitude

I'm not worried he's going to have a complete bust of a year, but I do believe trying to get him going earlier is worth a shot.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
I don't think I've seen Iggy play on the PK since the run of '04. I understand the reasons for not playing him in these situations, but I wonder if it's worth giving it a try for a few reasons:
- he was good at it back then, and it may help improve his defensive game
- he takes a while to get his timing back each season, and it may engage him in the game better
- it may demonstrate more leadership and rally the team to put in a full effort like their captain if he's role modeling an all-out attitude

I'm not worried he's going to have a complete bust of a year, but I do believe trying to get him going earlier is worth a shot.
I think he deserves less ice time, especially defensively. Glencross, Jokinen, Stempniak, Moss, Backlund and Bourque are all good PKers. I would actually put any player besides PL3 out there ahead of Iginla on the PK. Stajan and Tanguay included.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:11 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
If the PK doesn't improve significantly, it couldn't hurt to swap out one of the underperformers for Iggy for a while. That said, he's not great defensively and he's not fast enough to take good advantage of gained possession for short handed chances.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
No is my vote, because he is getting up there in age, I would rather he conserve his energy for the long season and be more fresh for 5 on 5 play and the PP. I get why the OP suggested this, but I do not think it would help to spark him.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
DoubleJ96

Don't see much of a reason to have Iginla play the PK. His ice time is needed more on the offensive side of things.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
It's not his strength, so there's no point in putting him in a position to fail.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Flames 1st pick

Really, they need to trade Iggy and start a full rebuild already...this team is going no where with him

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:33 PM
haQ Loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
It's not his strength, so there's no point in putting him in a position to fail.
Fair enough, though when it was a part of his game, he scored 4 SHG in '02-'03, and in the '04 playoff run, he potted 2 SHGs. There was a time when he was considered a good player on both sides of the puck, and was a threat on the PK as well.

He's not playing to his strengths at the moment, and I wondered what people thought of giving him a try on the PK. I see most don't agree - question answered.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:11 PM
number72

Has Iggy dropped the gloves this season yet?

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
haQ Loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Has Iggy dropped the gloves this season yet?
Yup, and got headbutted a little. That didn't get him going.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

No, Iggy should not see the ice on the PK. You don't play your least defensively responsible players on the PK. The PK is a situation where the team that works the hardest usually wins and Iginla does not work hard any more. The only way you put Iginla on the PK is if you need the opposition's blueline checked, because that's where he parks himself most of his time on the ice.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Feel The Heat
Flames in 6

vCash: 492
Iginla needs to learn he is not above the team and play some hockey is in his own end of the rink.So no to the PK.
If he does not want to buy in then it is time to go.We need a captain who will put the team first. Listening to him yesterday he just does not get it. "I need to improve in my own end and I'm trying but we need goals to. Im trying to be better" Wake up Jarome!! Your not the only player on this team who can score. Be a team player. Shape up or ship out.

Feel The Heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Medium Rare*

last season Iggy improved when his ice-time increased

just sayin

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
last season Iggy improved when his ice-time increased

just sayin
I think that's why Sutter has not benched him and has actually been double shifting him on occasion. Sutter is giving Iginla all opportunities to play his way out of his funk, but Iggy is refusing to use that ice time to play the team game. He still spends way too much time at the opposition blue line waiting for that break away pass.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
haQ Loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I think that's why Sutter has not benched him and has actually been double shifting him on occasion. Sutter is giving Iginla all opportunities to play his way out of his funk, but Iggy is refusing to use that ice time to play the team game. He still spends way too much time at the opposition blue line waiting for that break away pass.
Nothing makes a guy value the team game more than killing off a penalty, I think.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
what they need to do is have iggy double shift with a different line every game and maybe he will click with a centerman, its what happened last year, Iggy was playing with Joker and Tanguay, then he and Mo clicked on the PP

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
haQ Loob

Just thought I'd bring this one back from the beginning of last season. Seems Hartley might have agreed with this sentiment. He had Iggy on the PK in camp today and apparently had a conversation about it with the Captain before the lockout. (By the way, has everyone noticed all coaches evidently have been asked not to refer to it as a 'lockout' but a 'work stoppage' to make the league look like less of a bully?)

I'm hoping with this shortened season, getting Iggy engaged in all aspects of the game will get him going earlier. Conditioning hasn't been a problem for him as much as timing, and hopefully the offense can be spread around a little more if Backs is clicking on a scoring line and Cervenka and Hudler return and get going. So Jarome won't have to play all of his 20 mins 5-on-5 and on the PP to shoulder the load.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
Just thought I'd bring this one back from the beginning of last season. Seems Hartley might have agreed with this sentiment. He had Iggy on the PK in camp today and apparently had a conversation about it with the Captain before the lockout. (By the way, has everyone noticed all coaches evidently have been asked not to refer to it as a 'lockout' but a 'work stoppage' to make the league look like less of a bully?)

I'm hoping with this shortened season, getting Iggy engaged in all aspects of the game will get him going earlier. Conditioning hasn't been a problem for him as much as timing, and hopefully the offense can be spread around a little more if Backs is clicking on a scoring line and Cervenka and Hudler return and get going. So Jarome won't have to play all of his 20 mins 5-on-5 and on the PP to shoulder the load.
You decided to find and bump a two year old thread to discuss this? Really?

I'm still against it. We have better players for it. Tanguay, Glencross, Backlund, Jones, Stempniak, Comeau, Jackman, Stajan are probably all better defensively.

And if for no other reason I don't want him on the PK simply because the likelyhood of him being injured blocking a shot goes up exponentially.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:27 AM
TheHudlinator

I wouldn't say Iginla sucks at defense but he is not our best defensive player like he was in 04 (Glencross is now). All it does is wear him down and take away from his offensive shifts we have
Glencross
Tanguay
Stajan
Comeau
Jones
Backlund

who can all pk better than Iginla.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

By no means should Iginla be a permanent penalty killer, just the occasional shift. Wouldn't be the worse thing to give him a shift every now and then, particularly at the beginning of the season to get him tuned in a little faster.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:30 AM
haQ Loob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
By no means should Iginla be a permanent penalty killer, just the occasional shift. Wouldn't be the worse thing to give him a shift every now and then, particularly at the beginning of the season to get him tuned in a little faster.
Yup, that's exactly the thought. And perhaps through special teams practice, it'll improve his defensive play overall. Then he won't be a -10 again this year.

And yes, I decide to find and bump a thread from the beginning of last season because it's exciting to have hockey back and to have a new coach and a newish look team where new strategies and decisions are possible.