HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'm short, but heavy. Need stick advice.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:47 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

vCash: 500
I'm short, but heavy. Need stick advice.

I've been getting by with my Sher-Wood PP77 for a while and I've decided when the time comes to replace it I was going to finally buy myself a composite stick. My question is, do I need a Sr. stick? Every Sr. I've ever bought I've needed to cut over a foot of stick off of in order to get it to my optimum length. (My PP77 for instance is cut down to 48" butt to heel.)

Intermediate/Youth/Junior sticks are cheaper than Sr. sticks, but I'm wondering if at my height I even need a Sr. stick. I understand that my weight may be a factor, but I need a more informed opinion.

I'd like to have something whippier than what I'm using now, which started off as an 80 flex but is now much stiffer after having been cut down so much. I figured composite was the way to go. Any advice is welcome.

Reality is, I'm 27, 5'2" and just shy of 200 lbs. I've committed to learning to play hockey in order to lose weight, because I love the game and I find that I push myself harder on the ice than with any other physical activity I've ever tried. My wife and I both have full sets of equipment and go to stick and pucks every week, as well as open skates and weekly hockey basics skating lessons. That said, I'm a very new player.

As an aside, my wristers and passes are pulling way off target to left (I'm a right handed shot.) Is there a blade pattern that is a little more forgiving for an inexperienced player that is having this problem?

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:25 PM
wahsnairb

if you are going to cut your stick down significantly, you might as well get an intermediate because by the time you are cutting that down, it is going to shift from 67~ to around the flex you are looking for in the 80s.

i think that your shots and passes pulling are most likely a technique problem and not a blade problem, but if you want to be safe then just get a less drastic curve (like a ryan if you're sticking with sherwood).

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:55 PM
AIREAYE

Being a newer player you most likely wont be able to (no offence :p) use the full potential of the flex and given your weight, an 80 might even be too whippy for you. However you should definitely follow wahsnairb's advice and give the intermediate a try.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:12 PM
hyster110

the general rule for composites is you gain/lose 3 flex per every in of the stick

so your cutting 12 inches off, so your gaining 36 flex

so lets say you get a sr 102 flex, you get a 138 when its done cutting (chara region)

to go on

87 flex stick cut down will give you a 123 flex stick
77 will give you a 113

my oppinnoin is to get a intermediate stick as whippy as you can, maybe 67 flex, these sticks will be shorter and you won't have to cut as much off. also when you do cut it, your flex won't be as high

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:26 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Thanks! Advice is appreciated. I know next to nothing about what the blades characteristics do, though I know the heel curve may be making it difficult for me to learn hard accurate passes. Would something with a toe curve be more manageable than the Ryan or Coffey? Say a Bauer Backstrom or Toews? Or closer to a mid heel like Stamkos? Bauer seems to have the biggest selection of less intimidating patterns.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
SouthpawTRK

I would definitely agree with going with an intermediate shaft; especially on how much you are cutting down your sticks.

As far as curves go, you might want to get a two piece set up; that way you could try out different curves.

I would say that technique; no matter if it's with your skating, shooting, passing, etc...; is the most important. I'm not saying that some curves won't have some influence on your shooting and/or passing; but bottom line it's your technique.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you're bored, bum around my blog as I've written tons and tons of articles about sticks.

Long story short, stick length is the dominant factor in selecting flex/size, followed by technique, strength, and preferences. For you, I would be looking at the whippier intermediates (Bauer 60 flex, Easton 55 flex, Warrior 55 flex, etc).

For curve I'd probably go with either a P88/Iginla variant or a P92/Sakic variant. Depends on your shooting style and what not.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you're bored, bum around my blog as I've written tons and tons of articles about sticks.

Long story short, stick length is the dominant factor in selecting flex/size, followed by technique, strength, and preferences. For you, I would be looking at the whippier intermediates (Bauer 60 flex, Easton 55 flex, Warrior 55 flex, etc).

For curve I'd probably go with either a P88/Iginla variant or a P92/Sakic variant. Depends on your shooting style and what not.
Thank you!