HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Talk 2.0: Markov out 3+ weeks (minor surgery) Campoli & Spacek practicing

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
You make it sound like it's a sure thing that Markov is going to stay healthy long enough to make that true.

As much as I disagree with a lot of the stuff 29dryden29 contributes, I share his unease wrt the Markov signing
Anybody who compares wiz and markov who doesn't take into account the fact that they have an equal chance of re-injuring their knees is not paying attention.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:27 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Sounds like some ungrateful habs fans in here that forget how precious Markov was..I'd kill for him to join Washington.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:38 AM
ruski17

I can't wait until the habs are healthy again. Dare I say top 3 team in Eastern Conference?

Old
11-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
I know the cap hit still applies but after 8 games said player returns to the lineup just as he left. Not so much with an injury ask Boston how they feel about the Savard incident see what they think about it.
You're going around in circles. What does it matter how Boston feels about the Savard incident? Even though he is injured they can use that cap room to add another(or other players). If Markov gets badly hurt again they can put him on LITR and go sign another player, so having him for 1 year or 3 is not a big risk cap wise.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You're going around in circles. What does it matter how Boston feels about the Savard incident? Even though he is injured they can use that cap room to add another(or other players). If Markov gets badly hurt again they can put him on LITR and go sign another player, so having him for 1 year or 3 is not a big risk cap wise.
Getting a player with the cap hit in mid season is no easy task. I agree with your premise that these concerns are over stated though.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
You make it sound like it's a sure thing that Markov is going to stay healthy long enough to make that true.

As much as I disagree with a lot of the stuff 29dryden29 contributes, I share his unease wrt the Markov signing
It's not a sure thing that any defender is going to stay healthy. Markov might be an above average injury risk but so is Wisniewski - he too has had an ACL tear on the same knee twice back to back. In fact the Wiz has had three ACL tears on his right knee in his career. Last season was also the first time in his career he played over 70 games. Markov on the other hand played 78 games two years ago.

Personally I was on the fence with Markov - I wanted him back but I didn't think the team could move forward with him a big part of their plans, especially for this season. I also liked the Wiz. But he's not worth Markov's contract, let alone what he's making now.

Old
11-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

while i wont deny that i too worry that markov might get reinjured, i'm not worried to the point where i'm sure it's going to happen like some of you.

over the last 5 years, our record with markov vs without markov speaks for itself.

also alot of you have to remember some thinkgs before calling markov injury prone.

first injury was a freak accident (the cut)
second injury could have happened to anyone

the problem with the second injury was the following.
He rushed back and i personally think the first surgery was botched up.

Usually when you reconstruct mcls and acls, with proper healing and rehab, the knee is supposed to be stronger than before.

I think the fact that he rushed back and something mihgt have gone wrong in the surgery they didnt catch resulted in injury number 2....

this time around there has been no rush and he's tested the knee thoroughly.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Getting a player with the cap hit in mid season is no easy task. I agree with your premise that these concerns are over stated though.
You could get a guy like Kaberle for next to nothing right now. I'm sure other teams are trying to dump contracts. Granted those guys don't replace Markov but if you have open cap space you can get a decent player for next to nothing.

Brule was on waivers early in the year and I think Kotalik was too, last year Souray was, Oles was also.

But I was referring more to the summer after. Maybe use the money and go after Suter or somebody similar.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
while i wont deny that i too worry that markov might get reinjured, i'm not worried to the point where i'm sure it's going to happen like some of you.

over the last 5 years, our record with markov vs without markov speaks for itself.

also alot of you have to remember some thinkgs before calling markov injury prone.

Usually when you reconstruct mcls and acls, with proper healing and rehab, the knee is supposed to be stronger than before.

I think the fact that he rushed back and something mihgt have gone wrong in the surgery they didnt catch resulted in injury number 2....

You are probably right. They used a different Dr and a different technique plus they held him out longer, sent him to Florida with Dr Andrews for like 10 days for a battery of tests so they were sure the knee was strong and stable.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You are probably right. They used a different Dr and a different technique plus they held him out longer, sent him to Florida with Dr Andrews for like 10 days for a battery of tests so they were sure the knee was strong and stable.
i spoke to some friends that had acl and/or mcl tears repaired, and they all said that after rehab and training to get back to where they were before, their uninjured knee felt alot weaker compared to their "new" knee

I even spoke to some sports medecine doctors/surgeons (my wife works with some and i had some injuries treated myself) and they've all told me that if done correctly, it should be stronger than before because of the way they reattach things. They can compete with how nature builds our bodies so they have to reinforce everything to make sure it's stronger than before. They basically overdo it.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:27 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
look at gorges.

i've never seen him skate so well since he joined the habs. bionic knee!

Old
11-23-2011, 12:29 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post

The bolded part is actually false and there were a number of links posted by myself and a couple others I do believe that speak to this. It is never as good as it was pre injury and suffice it to say after an injury like that it can seriously take as little as a rut in the ice to re tear the ligament. I was playing with the kids swinging my son around and my foot was planted and my knee twisted and bam torn again.

Believe me I know WIZ is an accident away from another knee injury but he has proven thus far to have been able to avoid it I hope Markov can but I do not see it happening unfortunatly.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Leafs fan coming in war.

Any idea how long it will be before he starts playing? He is in my fantasy pool.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Leafs fan coming in war.

Any idea how long it will be before he starts playing? He is in my fantasy pool.
He won't be playing before the habs finish their california trip. The columbus game is a decent enough estimate, assuming there are no set backs.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Anybody who compares wiz and markov who doesn't take into account the fact that they have an equal chance of re-injuring their knees is not paying attention.
Odds may be the same but Wiz signed his big contract ~2.5 years after his knee surgery without a setback while Markov signed his still injured

Keeping that in mind, you can't really blame people for being more comfortable with the current state of Wiz' knee compared to Markov's

Old
11-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He won't be playing before the habs finish their california trip. The columbus game is a decent enough estimate, assuming there are no set backs.
Where did you hear that? As far as I know he wont play before the start of the road trip.

He's had 1 full practice with contact. We'll have probably 3 practices from now to the start of the road trip. Tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. Then we play the Ducks and Sharks back to back, and probably a day off Friday, then Kings Saturday.

Depends on how he and the doctors feel after those 3 practices. If he's good to go, he could probably play on the road trip. I would hope they make sure he's completely comfortable taking hits on the boards and in the corners before he's in the lineup. Although the guy is a 10 year NHL vet who knows what he's doing out there.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The bolded part is actually false and there were a number of links posted by myself and a couple others I do believe that speak to this. It is never as good as it was pre injury and suffice it to say after an injury like that it can seriously take as little as a rut in the ice to re tear the ligament. I was playing with the kids swinging my son around and my foot was planted and my knee twisted and bam torn again.

Believe me I know WIZ is an accident away from another knee injury but he has proven thus far to have been able to avoid it I hope Markov can but I do not see it happening unfortunatly.
Your surgery probably wasn't done by a guy like James Andrews, plus you are not a professional athlete so you may not have done the rehab Markov did and it may have been a different procedure.

I know if you look at football and hockey players with ACL surgeries the track record is very good.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Your surgery probably wasn't done by a guy like James Andrews, plus you are not a professional athlete so you may not have done the rehab Markov did and it may have been a different procedure.

I know if you look at football and hockey players with ACL surgeries the track record is very good.
ACL injuries are quite uncommon for NHL players...they are much more common with NFL players.

Which is what makes the Markov situation so freakish, to have torn it once was freaky enough, but twice?

Was obviously because the initial surgery wasn't successful or that he came back too soon.

Either way, he's taken ample time to heal this time and has gone through a littany of tests to make sure his knee is stable, while this doens't guarantee another re-injury, the odds are unlikely (although, this is the Habs).

#knockingonwood

Old
11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Frank Gore has had both ACL's done before getting to the NFL and he's been one of the best backs in the NFL since his arrival.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:29 PM
29dryden29

Quote:

It was done by someone better actually it was performed by Fowler at UWO you know the guys that rebuilt Stevie Ys knee and Big Es knee and Hacketts knee and works on all our National team athletes. At the Fowler clinic you have one nutritionist one therapist etc that works with you from a week after surgury through till the completion of your rehab and I had to go 3 days a week.

http://www.fowlerkennedy.com/wordPress/

http://www.lhsc.on.ca/About_Us/LHSC/...007/april2.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFXuFgCT2g

Last edited by 29dryden29: 11-23-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old
11-23-2011, 01:40 PM
AraGOHABSGO

Any news on A.K?

Old
11-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
Any news on A.K?
JessRusnak Jessica Rusnak
#habs late tweeting this. Markov and Kostitsyn will make the trip. Kostitsyn will start skating with the team tomorrow. No timeline for any1

That was from yesterday.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Kriss E

Can't wait to have him back.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Markov will win the Art Ross

Old
11-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Frank Gore has had both ACL's done before getting to the NFL and he's been one of the best backs in the NFL since his arrival.
As a Niners fan...I'll vouch for this

Also, DeJuan Blair, a power forward for the San Antonio Spurs has NO ACL'S in BOTH knees.

Closed Thread