HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Vinny Prospal to the Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2011, 12:10 PM
  #1
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
Vinny Prospal to the Rangers

Checking in to see what the masses think would be a good deal for both Clumbus and the Rangers.

Prospal knows the system, has played well with Gaborik in the past. I also believe he's played well with Richards and Fedotenko in Tampa.

The question is:

What would the Bluejackets want in return?

What would the Rangers be willing to part with?

My opinion:

It's obvious that Prospal still has some gas in the tank. He's played well for team that is very much struggling this season. He came back last year when alot of the NYR Faithful wrote him off and posted 21 points in 23 games.

As much as I like Avery, he becomes a spare part with Prospal manning the 2nd line LW which in effect would cause Double A to shift back to Center.

For me, seeing as I do not believe he will get a shot here in NY, I'm thinking Zuccarello and a 3rd for Prospal is a deal I would be comfortable making.

I think it's a fit.

I'd like to hear what some of you guys think.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
  #2
Kader
Registered User
 
Kader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: C eh N eh D eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
I don't see why Columbus would give up one of their offensive players for an unproven forward and a 3rd rounder?

Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:18 PM
  #3
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
His name just annoys me to no end.

If the Rangers wanted him they could of just resigned him.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:20 PM
  #4
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Prospal will be traded at the deadline. My guess is for a 2nd maybe more.

He is on pace to have one of his better years. For sure his best since he played with the Bolts. Columbus really likes this guy and will obviously part with him because he is unlikely to resign here but they will squeeze him for everything he is worth.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
  #5
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kader View Post
I don't see why Columbus would give up one of their offensive players for an unproven forward and a 3rd rounder?
Zuccarello can play in the NHL, just doesn't have a spot on the Rangers.

In 42 games last year he posted 23 points and looked promising.

The Blue Jackets get a younger player (24 years old) that has some scoring potential as well as a 3rd round pick.

Prospal is set to be a UFA and based on the direction the Jackets are headed, they are not likely to re-sign him.

I guess the thought process would be to get something for him before he tests the waters.

I know there's no rush to do this now, but if you can get a player that can play in the NHL, and is 12 years Prospal's junior, it's a tempting option.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:28 PM
  #6
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
His name just annoys me to no end.

If the Rangers wanted him they could of just resigned him.
Agreed, but I'm sure that they didn't expect their scoring woes to continue.

The Rangers probably thought that Boyle would posting another 20+ goal season.

Also, it's not like just re-signing him was going to be easy with the cap issues they were having this summer.

They probably regret not making room.


Last edited by Alvvays: 11-23-2011 at 12:47 PM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
  #7
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Prospal will be traded at the deadline. My guess is for a 2nd maybe more.

He is on pace to have one of his better years. For sure his best since he played with the Bolts. Columbus really likes this guy and will obviously part with him because he is unlikely to resign here but they will squeeze him for everything he is worth.
If a 2nd got it done today, I would do that deal.

I was thinking that a player like Zuccarello and a 3rd was a better offer though.

Getting a player that is very NHL capable and a 3rd rounder, in my opinion is better than a 2nd rounder. but that is just my opinion

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
  #8
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,412
vCash: 500
A lot of us have our doubts about Zuccarello's capability as an NHL player. Personally, unless something improves about his game, which is possible, right now I don't think he's NHL player. The Rangers take too few shots, and that's their main problem offensively. I fail to see how Prospal helps that.

All-in-all, if Prospal is available at the deadline, I'd be curious, but I'd be concerned about a full-season of wear on his body at that point. That, and if we're adding at the deadline, it's for the playoffs... and there will be better playoff-style players out there. Give him to me for just a 3rd, otherwise I don't want him. Someone else will probably be offering more.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:43 PM
  #9
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
A lot of us have our doubts about Zuccarello's capability as an NHL player. Personally, unless something improves about his game, which is possible, right now I don't think he's NHL player. The Rangers take too few shots, and that's their main problem offensively. I fail to see how Prospal helps that.

All-in-all, if Prospal is available at the deadline, I'd be curious, but I'd be concerned about a full-season of wear on his body at that point. That, and if we're adding at the deadline, it's for the playoffs... and there will be better playoff-style players out there. Give him to me for just a 3rd, otherwise I don't want him. Someone else will probably be offering more.
I think that he can more than hold his own in the NHL and I do not believe that last season was a fluke in terms of the numbers he was putting up.

I just think that with the top 6 nailed down in NY, asking Zuccarello to play a bottom 6 role is square peg/round hole.

The thing about Vinny that I like is that he's smart enough to know when to shoot. He's not an over-passer and has shown great chemistry with Gabby.

However, the health of the knee over the length of the season is a legit concern.

Finally, for what Prospal offers, I do not believe we will have better and cheaper options come the deadline.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:53 PM
  #10
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,412
vCash: 500
We don't need cheaper options, we need better ones and there will be plenty of them out there. There always are.

The Rangers don't have a bottom 6. Ideally, given their center situation, they'd have lines 1, 2a, 2b and 4. If Zuccarello was playing well enough to be in the NHL, they would've had him on the 2b line with either Anisimov or Stepan. He couldn't even stay up on a team with shallow offensive winger depth. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if he figured out how to be effective, but right now... he's not an NHL player.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:13 PM
  #11
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,607
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
We really have no reason at all to trade Vinny now; please resume inquiries at the trade deadline (assuming that we continue to be well out of playoff range, naturally). Personally, I wouldn't mind keeping him until he retires, but that's probably not a realistic option.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards_____________________________
Joining The Battle as We Fight, We March With Us Carrying The Hardcore Hockey Flag All Out All Season 'cause you Gotta See It Ignite The Night Live at Jackets Time
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
  #12
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We really have no reason at all to trade Vinny now; please resume inquiries at the trade deadline (assuming that we continue to be well out of playoff range, naturally). Personally, I wouldn't mind keeping him until he retires, but that's probably not a realistic option.
This... I hope that Vinnie ressigned there, really. He is right leader for us. I am without doubt that he would be great captain IMO.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
  #13
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Maybe a 2nd rounder at the deadline would do it for this trade to go through.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
  #14
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Maybe a 2nd rounder at the deadline would do it for this trade to go through.
The value is good but we hope Vinnie will stay here to his retire

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
  #15
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
The value is good but we hope Vinnie will stay here to his retire
He has played well there no doubt about that.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
  #16
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Vinny is a great leader and I really can't see why Columbus would move the team's leading scorer. However, a deadline deal is quite possible considering a good deal of his contract is bonuses and I'm assuming that whoever has him at the end of the year, would assume responsibility of those bonuses if he would have met them. Anyone know the details on his contract?

Regarding Zuccarrello, yes he's small, but he's become better than a PPG player in the AHL and SEL and for the short half season he spent in the NHL he showed he could score at a .5ppg pace there. The only reason why he doesn't play in the NHL now, isn't because he isn't capable, but is because of the depth the Rangers have at their forward position. They have so much depth, they they didn't resign Prospal and they waived Sean Avery to the minors. Matts Zuccarello-Aassen, didn't stand a chance of making the top6 or even the top9, which is where he needs to be to be effective. A bottom3/6 role does not fit his game because of his size. There are many other teams in the league that he wouldn't have a problem finding a roster spot on. This team, with this Coach, with this style, he does.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
  #17
Not Now John
Scusi, dov' il bar?
 
Not Now John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,908
vCash: 2210
I really don't see CBJ giving up Prospal. I'd agree with most upset Rangers fans saying that they should have resigned Vinny Prospal, but then again Columbus saw the opportunity and leaped at it. But it hasn't really worked out for them so far.

Not Now John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:13 PM
  #18
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
We don't need cheaper options, we need better ones and there will be plenty of them out there. There always are.

The Rangers don't have a bottom 6. Ideally, given their center situation, they'd have lines 1, 2a, 2b and 4. If Zuccarello was playing well enough to be in the NHL, they would've had him on the 2b line with either Anisimov or Stepan. He couldn't even stay up on a team with shallow offensive winger depth. Again, I wouldn't be shocked if he figured out how to be effective, but right now... he's not an NHL player.
Better options will cost more in terms of prospects.

Think Thomas, Miller, Erixon and McIlrath.

Not sure about you, but I am in no hurry to part with any of them.

And for what Torts wants out of that third line, Zuccarello is not a fit.

When you have Avery and Fedotenko making up 2/3's of your third line, offence isn't the top priority.

If the third line was expected to produce offensively, you don't take Double A and move him from C to LW, or Stepan from Center to Wing (which they did for a minute)

They took the good center depth they had in Richards, Stepan and Arty and reduced that to just Richards and Stepan.

As for the point that he couldn't stick, he plays the RW. Doesn't play well on his off wing so moving him to LW puts him in position to fail.

Who are you moving to make room for him? Not Gabby or Cally.

Fedotenko is likely the guy, but guess what? The reason that won't happen is because of what is expected from that 3rd line. Something that Zuccs cannot provide and it's not scoring. He's not great defensively, and he's not a big guy.

Zuccs doesn't fit the mold of player that Torts likes. In that sense, I agree that for the Rangers, Zuccs is not an NHL'er.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to play in another situation.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:19 PM
  #19
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,959
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Vinny is a great leader and I really can't see why Columbus would move the team's leading scorer. However, a deadline deal is quite possible considering a good deal of his contract is bonuses and I'm assuming that whoever has him at the end of the year, would assume responsibility of those bonuses if he would have met them. Anyone know the details on his contract?

Regarding Zuccarrello, yes he's small, but he's become better than a PPG player in the AHL and SEL and for the short half season he spent in the NHL he showed he could score at a .5ppg pace there. The only reason why he doesn't play in the NHL now, isn't because he isn't capable, but is because of the depth the Rangers have at their forward position. They have so much depth, they they didn't resign Prospal and they waived Sean Avery to the minors. Matts Zuccarello-Aassen, didn't stand a chance of making the top6 or even the top9, which is where he needs to be to be effective. A bottom3/6 role does not fit his game because of his size. There are many other teams in the league that he wouldn't have a problem finding a roster spot on. This team, with this Coach, with this style, he does.
agreed.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.