HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #20: St. Louis Blues vs. LA Kings

Old
11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Regardless of the time left....I'm a little mad Doughty only got a MINOR there
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Doughty better get ****ing suspended for that hit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensmasher View Post
If Stewart gets 3 games for the Kronwall hit, then yeah, there's no way the league doesn't do something about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
So if what Stewart did is worth 3 games, what Doughty did should be worth 5 because he did it with the stick, and had clear intent, and has a history.

But of course, Doughty won't be suspended. I'd bet money. Doughty is a star in the league, and we're not the Red Wings; so nothing will happen.
Agreed on all points. You guys just got to your keyboards faster than I did.

If Doughty doesn't end up with at least 2 games, I will officially buy into blue bleeder's conspiracy theory.

Last edited by superblues: 11-22-2011 at 09:22 PM.
superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superblues View Post
If Doughty doesn't end up with at least 2 games, I will officially buy into blue bleeder's conspiracy theory.
*Prepares a second tinfoil hat for superblues*

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:25 PM
SirPaste

This game is on Jackman IMO, two supremely boneheaded plays directly lead to goals for LA. Unacceptable.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Herb25*

Looked like an intentional cross-check to the kidney on Oshie while closer to the boards than Kronwall was. Definitely should be suspendable by the "VP of player safety".

Herb25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Jackman cost us the game and someone *cleanly* needs to put doughty in his place next time we play.

Last edited by The Note: 11-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.
The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Jackman cost us the game and someone *cleanly* needs to put doughty in his place next time we play.
Not if you ask Mike Milbury.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:52 PM
damacles1156

With the Way Drew has been playing. The Kings would welcome him getting suspended at this point.

Finally get to see what the Kings have in Hickey.

Good game tonight. Very intense.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
This game is on Jackman IMO, two supremely boneheaded plays directly lead to goals for LA. Unacceptable.
I just don't get this guy. I was at the game (sec. 317) and the ppg goal they scored, Jackman had the puck pinned on the board on the side closest to me. Before he got cut off, he could have just chipped it up the boards, but instead he tries to spin back towards the net. He holds it for a second, and as the battle continues, he looks up and throws it towards Halak. All it took was a pass across the crease and Kopitar does what he does.

The guy was terrible tonight. He is one of the most schizophrenic players in recent memory. Yeah he eats minutes, and yeah every player makes mistakes, but I've rarely seen a guy who's mistakes are so costly.

I'm sure I'm being disingenuous to Jackman as he is a horse, but my god, so many turnovers at the most inopportune times. He is, ahem, sub par under a hard forecheck.

Regardless, this was a hard pill to swallow, but a good loss. They played well. I can't stand the novelty of yelling shoot at every moment, but I think they could have pulled the trigger a little more tonight and tried to bang home rebounds. First two PP's were brutal, but once it clicked they looked good, got chances etc. They really looked like a team that could overcome a deficit late in the game. Good signs moving forward.

Sobotka is playing phenomenal.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:05 PM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
I just don't get this guy. I was at the game (sec. 317) and the ppg goal they scored, Jackman had the puck pinned on the board on the side closest to me. Before he got cut off, he could have just chipped it up the boards, but instead he tries to spin back towards the net. He holds it for a second, and as the battle continues, he looks up and throws it towards Halak. All it took was a pass across the crease and Kopitar does what he does.

The guy was terrible tonight. He is one of the most schizophrenic players in recent memory. Yeah he eats minutes, and yeah every player makes mistakes, but I've rarely seen a guy who's mistakes are so costly.

I'm sure I'm being disingenuous to Jackman as he is a horse, but my god, so many turnovers at the most inopportune times. He is, ahem, sub par under a hard forecheck.

Regardless, this was a hard pill to swallow, but a good loss. They played well. I can't stand the novelty of yelling shoot at every moment, but I think they could have pulled the trigger a little more tonight and tried to bang home rebounds. First two PP's were brutal, but once it clicked they looked good, got chances etc. They really looked like a team that could overcome a deficit late in the game. Good signs moving forward.

Sobotka is playing phenomenal.
I agree on every aspect.

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:49 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Not much to say that hasn't already been said about this game, but when you have Arnott, D'Agostini, Sobotka, and Langenbrunner all getting significant PP time that doesn't bode well.

Arnott would make an OK net presence (he was on the right half-boards, which is not a place that plays to his current skill set), but D'Agostini lacks the passing/puck skills/creativity, and Langenbrunner/Sobotka the shot, to be contributing factors to a dangerous PP unit. You might be able to gameplan around having one of them on a unit, but anymore than that is a serious burden to overcome.

It's also my humble opinion that it would serve the Blues well to occasionally mix things up with a tight triangle when working the cycle in the offensive zone. Right now they seem to be either running a very loose triangle (with a guy hanging out in the vicinity of the net) or sending all three forwards to the boards, with the intention of working the puck back to the point and then collapsing to the net on a shot. Leaving the interior of the ice uncontested is starting to allow opposing teams to overplay the points (and those shooting lanes), which is leading to a lot of blocked shots and turnovers high in the zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see some adjustments in that area soon.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Oshie looked like he might have a broken clavicle. Hopefully nothing serious....but I'm a bit concerned. I don't see how Doughty doesn't get suspended there.

The Blues looked tired tonight. The Arnott/Langenbrunner line hasn't been looking very good lately.

Stewart comes back, I'm expecting Oshie out, is Perron ready to come in and be amazing yet?

The game in Pittsburgh is bound to be a buzzsaw. I really hope they have an emotional flat after their big return of Crosby time. The Blues need a win and some points.

That was a frustrating game to watch tonight. Still felt like the Blues should have won. Jackman did not have his finest hour.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Oshie looked like he might have a broken clavicle. Hopefully nothing serious....but I'm a bit concerned. I don't see how Doughty doesn't get suspended there.

The Blues looked tired tonight. The Arnott/Langenbrunner line hasn't been looking very good lately.

Stewart comes back, I'm expecting Oshie out, is Perron ready to come in and be amazing yet?

The game in Pittsburgh is bound to be a buzzsaw. I really hope they have an emotional flat after their big return of Crosby time. The Blues need a win and some points.

That was a frustrating game to watch tonight. Still felt like the Blues should have won. Jackman did not have his finest hour.
If you are pseudo-inquiring or if this is purely a prediction, Hitchcock said Oshie was "fine" after the game. There is nothing to indicate he'll be out-at least from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Not much to say that hasn't already been said about this game, but when you have Arnott, D'Agostini, Sobotka, and Langenbrunner all getting significant PP time that doesn't bode well.

Arnott would make an OK net presence (he was on the right half-boards, which is not a place that plays to his current skill set), but D'Agostini lacks the passing/puck skills/creativity, and Langenbrunner/Sobotka the shot, to be contributing factors to a dangerous PP unit. You might be able to gameplan around having one of them on a unit, but anymore than that is a serious burden to overcome.

It's also my humble opinion that it would serve the Blues well to occasionally mix things up with a tight triangle when working the cycle in the offensive zone. Right now they seem to be either running a very loose triangle (with a guy hanging out in the vicinity of the net) or sending all three forwards to the boards, with the intention of working the puck back to the point and then collapsing to the net on a shot. Leaving the interior of the ice uncontested is starting to allow opposing teams to overplay the points (and those shooting lanes), which is leading to a lot of blocked shots and turnovers high in the zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see some adjustments in that area soon.
AGREED.

I am wondering why they have a guy distributing the puck in front of their D. I can see the advantage that gives the guys on the sideboards if suddenly a player gets the puck high in the middle (5-7 feet in from the blue line) and the defending forward has to back off the sideboards, but they are trying to distribute the puck from there too often when they could fire away.

The one thing that still irks me about this team is the unwillingness or inability to pick up garbage goals on a consistent basis. A lot of successful teams have guys with great hands in the slot and below the goal line, but those same teams also shoot quite frequently into traffic in order to get rebounds.

Still, the PP looks tons better in the grand scheme.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:25 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Thanks for the info on Hitchcock's quote. I wasn't too impressed with the Vs coverage tonight. I guess I shouldn't have high expectations for a national game, but I really missed Panger.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Mike Liut

The Blues out played the Kings even without Andy Mac, Perron and Stewie. The Blues are the better team imo.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:38 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the info on Hitchcock's quote. I wasn't too impressed with the Vs coverage tonight. I guess I shouldn't have high expectations for a national game, but I really missed Panger.
I was extremely amused when they were talking about the impending penalty to Reaves. They were talking about it while the Blues were controlling the puck, while Halak skated to the bench for the extra man, and while St. Louis was controlling the play in LA's zone for the better part of a minute with 6 skaters on the ice.

Not what I would call a crack crew.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues out played the Kings even without Andy Mac, Perron and Stewie. The Blues are the better team imo.
Ah, come on man. You know that isn't true as much as we'd all like it to be.

Their top 6 less Kopitar and Richards was largely disinterested as well as their two best offensive defensemen.

They still won in pretty decent fashion.

I think you're seeing one of the best cores in the conference unfortunately.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Man! I should have done the Pie time chant, atleast the Blues get points when I do that... fellow Blues, never stop the power of Pie time chant again

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:00 AM
thebluenote

I just watched this game on my PVR, and I'm thoroughly disappointed with Doughty clearly crosschecking/boarding/roughing Oshie at the whistle, and then slithering out from the pile. Stay in there and take your tablespoon of pissed-off-backes like a ****ing man. Especially after a stupid cowardly play like that. If this call doesn't get supplemental discipline, I'm going burn Shanahan's Jersey on his f'ing front lawn. Good Christ, that's infuriating.

thebluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
I was extremely amused when they were talking about the impending penalty to Reaves. They were talking about it while the Blues were controlling the puck, while Halak skated to the bench for the extra man, and while St. Louis was controlling the play in LA's zone for the better part of a minute with 6 skaters on the ice.

Yea that was pretty funny, I like Emerick but whoever the other guy was is just awful.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:39 AM
BluesRiver

Jackman is not terrible, but passing toward the slot on the PK is about the biggest mistake a veteran d-man can make.

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:

Yeah....if it hadn't gone on so long it wouldn't have been quite so funny/inexplicable.

I also thought they gave the officials a complete pass on any questionable calls. They derided Sobotka for his "bone-head" penalty, but that was a pretty soft call. I felt like I was watching an official corporate sponsored broadcast, brought to you by the NHL.

Old
11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Yeah....if it hadn't gone on so long it wouldn't have been quite so funny/inexplicable.

I also thought they gave the officials a complete pass on any questionable calls. They derided Sobotka for his "bone-head" penalty, but that was a pretty soft call. I felt like I was watching an official corporate sponsored broadcast, brought to you by the NHL.
Not surprised at all.

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote