HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund Rumours Thread: Enter at your own risk v2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2011, 03:05 PM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I don't know anything about Carter's attitude, but I have seen him play quite a few times. To me he looks like another Erik Cole but better. Same dominant style, drives the net but better finish. The one knock on him is his production seems to taper off in the playoffs.

But personally I think you'd have to be crazy not to want him on your team unless those attitude problems are really significant.
There you go, these are my points exactly. And maybe i am foolish, but i would trade Carter for Pleks. And i like Pleks as a player. Or we could keep the team we have and settle with with playing .500 hockey. We are so afraid in Montreal to make some of these moves like Toronto and Boston did.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
There you go, these are my points exactly. And maybe i am foolish, but i would trade Carter for Pleks. And i like Pleks as a player. Or we could keep the team we have and settle with with playing .500 hockey. We are so afraid in Montreal to make some of these moves like Toronto and Boston did.
I don't know about trading Plecks for him though. I would consider it if Carter is a good defensive, penalty killer type. But I don't know too much about that aspect of Carter's game. But Carter is a beast.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:13 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Turris for a 1st alone is a no brainer, you worry about Gomez after if they don't take him in the deal.
Why in the world would Phoenix even take Gomez? I mean whoever proposed that initially needs to stop being so Montreal-absorbed, so to speak. Considering Phoenix' situation, they don't even have an owner and the NHL is not stupid enough to saddle whatever new owner with a horrible contract, even if Montreal gave them a first round pick to do it (e.g. Vladimir Malakhov from New Jersey to San Jose). If the Coyotes needed to eat up cap room, they'd ink Shane Doan long-term before doing that.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
onice

Quote:
Sorry CP, i disagree ! Carter > Plekanecs.

Carter is stronger and has a much better shot than Pleks. I don't know how much you have seen of Carter ( during his Philly stint ), but Philly is my second favorite team, and i would take him straight up for Pleks.
Boy, talk about under rating Pleks. Offensively, I give the edge to carter but defensively Pleks puts Carter in his back pocket.

You do realize that Pleks is one of the top 5 two-way centerman in the world and stays healthy for most of the season.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plekanec is a lot grittier than Carter and build much stronger(stoicky vs tall and lean). If there is something my friends that are Phillie fans tell me about Carter it's that he plays very small for a 6'3" guy. They are almost the same weight(around 200lbs) and Carter is 4-5 inches taller.

Carter has a better shot and is a better finisher(30-35 goals/year vs 25-30/year) but Plekanec is a better playmaker, makes linemates better and is a much better all round player(defensively and on PK) which more than offsets Carter's goal scoring.
Wrong !

Quote:
I don't know about trading Plecks for him though. I would consider it if Carter is a good defensive, penalty killer type. But I don't know too much about that aspect of Carter's game. But Carter is a beast.
I got this off of an article from the Bleachreport in Oct. of this year.

"The Flyers used six forwards as penalty killers last year: Blair Betts, Darroll Powe, Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, Andreas Nodl and Jeff Carter. We can do some simple math and derive three pairings from the above forwards".

Old
11-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Roulin

For me, the debate ends with Carter's contract, over 5mil until he is 37 years old. He is nowhere near enough of an upgrade to take on that kind of risk.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Jigger77

Their numbers are actually pretty similar. Carter is the better regular season producer and Plecky seems to do better in the playoffs. Carter is better at faceoffs at about 55% and Plecky at 50%

Carter regular season career: .74ppg / +51
Plekanec regular season career: .67ppg / +36

Playoffs Carter: .44ppg / -14
Playoffs Plecks: .61ppg / -9

Old
11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Their numbers are actually pretty similar. Carter is the better regular season producer and Plecky seems to do better in the playoffs. Carter is better at faceoffs at about 55% and Plecky at 50%

As others have mentioned however, his contract scares me. But you have to pay to get so....

Old
11-23-2011, 04:09 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I'm trying to get some responses from Isles fans in anther thread, but Kyle Okposo hasn't scored a goal yet and is coming off being scratched for 3 straight games. Why isn't anyone talking about going after him? They might not be so keen, but the Isles could use a little shake-up, and Okposo, despite injury problems, still looks like he could use a proverbial change of scenery.

Old
11-23-2011, 04:18 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I'm trying to get some responses from Isles fans in anther thread, but Kyle Okposo hasn't scored a goal yet and is coming off being scratched for 3 straight games. Why isn't anyone talking about going after him? They might not be so keen, but the Isles could use a little shake-up, and Okposo, despite injury problems, still looks like he could use a proverbial change of scenery.
And which player in the top 6 will he be replacing, or is he a 3rd line player ?

Old
11-23-2011, 04:19 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Okposo here would be a wet dream, I'm a huge fan of his and Okposo in a Habs Jersey is just mouthwatering.

What would it take though?

Old
11-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I'd love to add Okposo. Coming from the mess in Long Island, I think a change of scenery would benefit him for sure! He's signed to a reasonable salary for a team-friendly term. His puck luck numbers (2.17 sh%, .929 s%) are terrible this season, they are bound to improve. He is a player type the Habs are always short on.

IMO, the only question is how much the Isles would be asking.

Quote:
And which player in the top 6 will he be replacing, or is he a 3rd line player ?
I can see him replacing Kostitsyn going forward, as a tweener. I like the idea of Okposo-Eller-Gallagher, something like that.

Old
11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'd love to add Okposo. Coming from the mess in Long Island, I think a change of scenery would benefit him for sure! He's signed to a reasonable salary for a team-friendly term. His puck luck numbers (2.17 sh%, .929 s%) are terrible this season, they are bound to improve. He is a player type the Habs are always short on.

I can see him replacing Kostitsyn going forward, as a tweener. I like the idea of Okposo-Eller-Gallagher, something like that.
Use that on your next date as a pick up line and You'll be one lucky SOB.

Okposo-Eller-Gallagher would be a disgusting line!

Or imagine Patches-Eller-Okposo?!

Man, and whats great about Okposo is his work ethic is through the roof, hes a work horse, always has been, has great speed, and a hell of a shot. I'd imagine they'd ask for a roster player, and a prospect for him

Old
11-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Serious HABit

I want okposo too.

Old
11-23-2011, 04:56 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
We know nothing about this. Hell no why would the Habs need a pure goal scorer ? There was alot said about Ribiero's attitude, but look how that turned out for Dallas, and Ryder etc etc etc.
havent made the PO last 3 seasons...

Old
11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
havent made the PO last 3 seasons...
Yeah, like the Habs couldn't use someone with these stats.
You are right Darche has the right attitude and we should keep him on our PP.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=35733

Old
11-23-2011, 05:09 PM
pine

vCash: 50
I want aupawseau

Old
11-23-2011, 05:13 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Okposo-Eller-Gallagher
So good.

Old
11-23-2011, 05:25 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Yeah, like the Habs couldn't use someone with these stats.
You are right Darche has the right attitude and we should keep him on our PP.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=35733
wondering what Darche has to do with this...

great contribution there!

Old
11-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

We may not know anything concrete about Carter attitude, but I'm sure Gauthier do.

Old
11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
We may not know anything concrete about Carter attitude, but I'm sure Gauthier do.
Im sure Gauthier does to. But it's not like him to pull off any type of blockbuster trade anyway.

Old
11-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Fredd

All this Okposo talk, and he's got both goals for the Islanders right now in the 1st period. Looks like we have no shot at him now.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:29 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
All this Okposo talk, and he's got both goals for the Islanders right now in the 1st period. Looks like we have no shot at him now.
Just what I was thinking. He might have finally turned a corner after the benchings...but it's still only one game, and a very long season. It would still take a pretty hefty package to get him. What about something along the lines of Kostitsyn-Weber-2nd? Again, it's very possible they and their fans would not even consider trading him, but maybe a starting point.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Why in the world would Phoenix even take Gomez? I mean whoever proposed that initially needs to stop being so Montreal-absorbed, so to speak. Considering Phoenix' situation, they don't even have an owner and the NHL is not stupid enough to saddle whatever new owner with a horrible contract, even if Montreal gave them a first round pick to do it (e.g. Vladimir Malakhov from New Jersey to San Jose). If the Coyotes needed to eat up cap room, they'd ink Shane Doan long-term before doing that.
I'm not the one that suggested they would take Gomez...noit sure why you posted this?

Old
11-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Plekanec is miles ahead in terms of being a strong all around player(tough matchups, defensive play and PK). Carter is strictly a one way player who plays small despite being 6'3".

Closed Thread