HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team defence getting better?

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

vCash: 500
Team defence getting better?

The last 3 leaf games the leafs have held there opponents to one goal. NY, BOS,and ATL. is the team finally listening to what Quinn is trying to say or is eddie and tellqvist just playing really good? Whatever it is i hope they keep it up

Old
11-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Rand

Well behind our big 2 we didn't have much room to get worse so it's hard not to be better.
3 goals against in 3 games is quite nice however, I have some vague hope that Belfour's decided to be a goalie again.

They've definitely played better however... whether this is just a hot streak or legitimate improvement remains to be seen.

11-20-2005, 06:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

How are the new pairings doing?

Maybe getting actual defenders playing together is the difference.

Belak has never been a legit defender.

Old
11-20-2005, 08:45 AM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
By the looks of it, yeah, Toronto's defence is improving.

Old
11-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Platapie

I'd argue it isn't our D, but our forwards finally coming back. Everytime Atlanta was in our zone last night, there was 5 Blue sweaters making sure they were in our zone also. Sounds like common sense, but when it comes to the Buds, it's a new thing.

Old
11-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Augustus

The numbers are clear that there has been some improvement in the short-term.

By Christmas break we'll have a better indication if it is a longer-term strength of this team.

Old
11-20-2005, 09:57 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Still being outshot. The goaltending is doing it not the team D.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:02 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Fueled by pride and $8 arena hotdogs, Ed Belfour is finally coming around.

He seems more confident lately, and it's made a big difference

Old
11-20-2005, 10:10 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck
The Leafs have always had very low shot totals and tried to stick to prime scoring areas for shots. Other teams, especially this season, like to get alot of shots on us. Eddie has a bit of trouble with traffic and CuJo was terrible on letting weak goals in, so it is the strategy to get alot of shots on Leaf goaltenders. Telly is still unproven in the NHL, so he gets peppered alot too. I think the shot totals are blown out of proportion for the most part.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Don't be a stat box warrior. Watch the game, you'll note a clear difference, particularly in the last game against Atlanta.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:51 AM
markh100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck
Shots on goal, while a useful statistic, don't tell the whole story. Pat Quinn coached teams are generally outshot. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Leafs are outplayed every game. The Leafs tend to give up a lot of weak shots from the outside, and focus on getting quality scoring chances themselves. We've had the luxury of having Cujo and Belfour in net over the past few years, so getting outshot in the majority of games isn't necessarily a huge cause for concern.

Wins and Losses are what we should focus on. The team is back on track for 100 point season, and is rapidly closing in ono the 4th playoff position in the conference, which is basically the best we can hope for. The Leafs are a strong team, and I can't see Montreal or the NY Rangers maintaing a lead over the Leafs for too much longer, now that it looks like the Leafs have gotten their act together defensively.

Old
11-20-2005, 10:52 AM
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
Don't be a stat box warrior. Watch the game, you'll note a clear difference, particularly in the last game against Atlanta.
Agreed. The bad goals have been non-existent but there have also been far fewer times when our goalie has had to save us. We haven't seem much disorganized scrambling since the MOntreal game

Old
11-22-2005, 01:42 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
Bad example. The Leafs ability to cream Atlanta does not indicate they are out of the woods, just that Atlanta sucks right now. If they do that against a team they expect to meet in the playoffs I will have more confidence. The last two wins against Montreal and Boston they weren't really carrying the play in either game. And Boston isn't even looking like a playoff team.
The goaltending is not great but it seems to be coming around. I agree that being outshot doesn't necessarily mean outchanced by the same degree. They seem to be leaning towards better defence but too few games to say if it is a fact or just a streak. Three big games coming up. Boston, who are better than their record, Carolina who are having a great year, and the Habs who play the Leafs tough. Two out of three wins would be nice.

Old
11-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Bad example. The Leafs ability to cream Atlanta does not indicate they are out of the woods, just that Atlanta sucks right now
How does Atlanta sucking make our forwards backcheck harder/be far more responsible in their own end? Don't get me wrong, I'm not proclaiming our D to be a strength of this team, nor am I planning the parade. All I'm saying is that the teams forwards were VERY responsible during the Atlanta game, which IMO played a large role in the outcome of the game. Also, you're underrating Atlanta.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:58 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

its been better, but the goalies have been great
and im not sure if we've been tested as much by big offenses of late

the forwards are coming back more tho, and there's less penalties

just aki

taking belak out helps

Old
11-22-2005, 10:57 PM
psod

It's a combination of the forwards being more responsible, and actually dressing six NHL quality defensemen, instead of 5 and one ECHLer.

The last four wins aren't so much of a 'hot streak', as they are an example of the team playing to it's capabilities. If all our boys just play smart, responsible hockey, we will win games. Simple as.

Closed Thread