HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty fined, not suspended for hit on Oshie as final seconds tick away

Old
11-23-2011, 12:37 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Doughty fined, not suspended for hit on Oshie as final seconds tick away

$2,500 fine, no suspension, no video from Shanny that I can find explaining why this hit isn't a suspension worthy.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=602863

*starts passing out tinfoil hats*

Oh yeah, btw, according to CapGeek.com, Doughty is slated to earn $6,000,000 this season. I'm sure he'll really miss that $2,500....

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I thought Doughty's hit was worse than Stewart's. Hmmmm. Disappointing. This guy has a prior record, too.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:50 PM
BlueDream

$2,500? Seriously? Stewart got suspended and fined for much more than that.

And Lucic got nothing.

I just don't like Shanahan at all. It's still so far away from being consistent it's not even funny.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Typical NHL disciplinary BS. I know Shanahan gets a lot of credit for being the "savior" of NHL disciplinary action, but in reality he's only beloved because he's only slightly better than Colin Campbell.

A crosscheck from behind that sends an opposing player crashing violently into the boards. What's the difference between what I just described and what Chris Stewart did to deserve a suspension? Just because it looked slightly less violent than Stewart's hit it's somehow not suspension worthy? Is it because Oshie doesn't play for the Wings?

Arguably, there was more of a retaliatory nature in this play seeing as how Oshie was the Blues best player and seemed to get under the skin of the Kings players, not to mention the time remaining in the game.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:57 PM
BlueBeard

I vaguely remember breaking down Kariya's salary at some point and I want to say 6 million a year breaks down to around 33k a day. So yeah that $2500 fine is really a deterrent to this type of behavior... Way to go Shanny!

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

It was mentioned that this is the maximum fine allowed by the CBA. I'm guessing that a suspended player can get fined more?

I like Shanny's video's xplaining why people are getting suspended. I just want one explaining why this ISN'T one.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Linus

I'm not surprised. I wasn't expecting a suspension on the hit, and I thought that Stewart's hit was worse than Doughty's. Still, I don't really see the point in the $2,500 fine. It's such a small amount that makes absolutely no impact. It's a joke, I'd rather there be no punishment at all.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
It was mentioned that this is the maximum fine allowed by the CBA. I'm guessing that a suspended player can get fined more?

I like Shanny's video's xplaining why people are getting suspended. I just want one explaining why this ISN'T one.
Agreed.

I wonder whether it made a difference that this was only called as a 2 minute minor in the game. That was kind of baffling, too.

I think Shanahan has tough job, and that there is always going to be some judgment call that creates some variability in how a given rule is enforced/punished. But this past month has seemed as baffling as when Colin was doing it.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
BlueBeard

Had the zebras decided to throw an instigator penalty on one of the Blues players Hitch would have been automatically fined 10k and that player be suspended for one game. It should not be cheaper financially to make a dirty hit than to stand up for recipient of said hit. This is something the NHL really needs to look into if they want to actually deter this type of behavior.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Shanahan is stuck working within the CBA that is currently in place. Parts of it are ridiculous, and need to be revised next time. I still think he should have suspended Doughty for 3 games. That was not a 'hockey play'.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:

I think this would be as helpful to players, fans (and all involved) maybe as much as the suspension videos are. Without it I think there is less than full disclosure.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:13 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

the thing here is he did use his stick and it looked like he was trying to get in a cheap shot before the final seconds ran off. i say this because he does have a history of this kind of play

to be fair, when stewart hit kronwall, even i knew that was not a good hit and he should have been suspended

also, on a final note this is my first post after 5+ years of reading these great forums. its good to have a place to talk with good hockey fans. my decision to start posting was a long one, but im glad i made it. i just hope that you guys will not think im one of the clowns from the blues official forums.

Cheers everyone!!

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:22 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
It really doesn't effect The Blues either way what the fine is (or suspension) unless The Blues and Kings were playing a home and home and it happens in the first game.

But it doesn't seem fair, the obvious difference one was called a major and the other was called a minor.

If it's bad to hit a guy in the back and send him into the boards then it should be called the same every time. That would stop it.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
the thing here is he did use his stick and it looked like he was trying to get in a cheap shot before the final seconds ran off. i say this because he does have a history of this kind of play

to be fair, when stewart hit kronwall, even i knew that was not a good hit and he should have been suspended

also, on a final note this is my first post after 5+ years of reading these great forums. its good to have a place to talk with good hockey fans. my decision to start posting was a long one, but im glad i made it. i just hope that you guys will not think im one of the clowns from the blues official forums.

Cheers everyone!!
Welcome aboard!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Let's be honest, a fine with no suspension is probably about the right decision. The issue that we are having is that what Stewart done was mildly worse, and got 3 games. People want to say that this hit wasn't as violent as the Stewart hit, maybe, but it could just as easily be argued that Oshie was in a more vulnerable position which has to be taken into account.

Either way it doesn't have any bearing on us, and as long as Oshie is fine then that's it over with.

The topic of maximum fines is a tricky one, but it is clear that the current system is a joke. Personally, I think it should be a set percentage of a players salary (even 0.5% would be a massive step forward), rather than a fixed dollar amount. The problem with the fixed dollar system is you have to factor in the guys earning the minimum.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Blues88

Quote:

Salary is forfeited based on what the player makes per game. Wisniewski from CBJ lost nearly $700,00 from his 8 game vacation.

Fines aren't meant to be deterrents.

Let me just say as respectfully as possible guys, Really?

This is nuts. I was at the game, I saw the play and nothing about it was blatant. Sure it's a penalty but this wasn't Ovechkin on Campbell. I would argue that guys takes shoves similar to that every shift.

Video from thread on main board:

http://video.thescore.com/watch/doug...sschecks-oshie

Last edited by Blues88: 11-23-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added video
Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:53 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

To me this play was as bad as Stewart/Kronwall.

Meet your new boss, same as the old boss.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:14 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Apparently, the Wheel of Justice has returned.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote