HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2011, 09:52 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Where is all of this defensive depth you see?

We don't have a single guy that projects to be top 4. Gustaffson is our best bet, and it's probably unlikely. After that we probably have a handful of guys that have a shot at becoming bottom pairing guys, and even that is unlikely. We have a terrible defensive prospect pool.
i am surprised you didnt smell the sarcasm! their d prospects are the bottom of the barrel. i agree with what you said. Gus is a kimmo clone, havent you heard?

Old
11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandals View Post
i am surprised you didnt smell the sarcasm! their d prospects are the bottom of the barrel. i agree with what you said. Gus is a kimmo clone, havent you heard?
He was also +6 in one game!

SIGN HIM FOR LIFE!

Old
11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandals View Post
I believe people were calling Lehtivuori a Kimmo clone mainly because of the similarities between them.

That said, I believe most people were confident in Gus either being a good Randy Jones or a Matt Carle copy at best. We could only hope for a better Matt Carle, but really, you can't say, "Everyone was calling Gustafsson the next Kimmo Timonen!" when not a single person said that.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:43 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I'm SICK of people calling Gustaffson a "Cup of coffee" player. He's not. He's gonna be in the NHL full time next year.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:02 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I believe people were calling Lehtivuori a Kimmo clone mainly because of the similarities between them.

That said, I believe most people were confident in Gus either being a good Randy Jones or a Matt Carle copy at best. We could only hope for a better Matt Carle, but really, you can't say, "Everyone was calling Gustafsson the next Kimmo Timonen!" when not a single person said that.
your splitting hairs. i have read many post where people say he, gus, reminds them of kimmo. So dont act like they havent. so excuse me for misrepresenting what i said though i am sure a smart person like yourself knew what i was talking about.

if gus turns out as "good" as carle then that will be a blessing in disguise. You think he will be an everyday nhl dman while i do not. i have no faith in the coahcing staff to even remotely use him the way he should be used.

i cant recall any post saying that about the other stiff though.

Old
11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I'm SICK of people calling Gustaffson a "Cup of coffee" player. He's not. He's gonna be in the NHL full time next year.
i will let the coaching staff know next time we are out together. anythign else you want me to pass along?

Old
11-23-2011, 03:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Whoever started this "cup of coffee" nonsense to begin with needs to be run the hell out of town.

Cup of coffee players are playing in the ECHL.

Most AHL players probably make more per year than anyone on HFboards.

We should be getting Gustafsson's coffee. He has clearly demonstrated the talent to succeed at the NHL level. Will he be Randy Jones, Matt Carle, or better? That's up to him.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:20 PM
jb**

Quote:
Whoever started this "cup of coffee" nonsense to begin with needs to be run the hell out of town.

Cup of coffee players are playing in the ECHL.

Most AHL players probably make more per year than anyone on HFboards.

We should be getting Gustafsson's coffee. He has clearly demonstrated the talent to succeed at the NHL level. Will he be Randy Jones, Matt Carle, or better? That's up to him.
it is stuff like this that just makes me laugh. what has he clearly shown that he belongs in the nhl? Seriously what has he shown talent wise in his 5 or 6 games that he is an nhl player? How many guys have come shown that same ability in the same amount of games never to be heard from again? jussi timmonen? david prince? lasse kaukenen? No it isnt up to him. his ability is his ability. Maybe he becomes an nhl player maybe he becomes john slaney. How is pat maroon doing? so shocked he hasnt made iot to the nhl as a regular.

what does the salary of an ahl player have to do with anything by the way?

no cup of coffe players are in the ahl as well.

Old
11-23-2011, 08:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

1. Bourdon looks physical.
2. Bourdon looks solid through limited minutes.
3. Bourdon is using his blistering shot.
4. Bourdon's skating has not been an issue thus far.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:13 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
1. Bourdon looks physical.
2. Bourdon looks solid through limited minutes.
3. Bourdon is using his blistering shot.
4. Bourdon's skating has not been an issue thus far.
5. Bourdon can't be any worse than Lilja....can he?

Old
11-23-2011, 09:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
5. Bourdon can't be any worse than Lilja....can he?
Lilja's pretty freaking bad.

Old
11-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Bourdons skating looks really impressive. What happened to him being slow and having a really bad stride? He's essentially what carle should be

Old
11-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Bourdon has been very good in my opinion. I'm an neutral fan but I've seen both games he's played in. He's played physical and has shown good choices in moving the puck. He hasn't been on the ice for a goal either. He's been perfect as a steady bottom paring guy. I'd have a hard time sending him down if I was in the position.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Bourdon has been very good in my opinion. I'm an neutral fan but I've seen both games he's played in. He's played physical and has shown good choices in moving the puck. He hasn't been on the ice for a goal either. He's been perfect as a steady bottom paring guy. I'd have a hard time sending him down if I was in the position.
I would also if it wasn't a Hall of Famer coming back to push him back to the minors haha. He has played well though, a ton better than I expected. His biggest knock was his skating but it hasn't looked bad yet. Maybe he is improved and is looking for a spot next year! Any competition is good competition.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:53 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Bourdons skating looks really impressive. What happened to him being slow and having a really bad stride? He's essentially what carle should be
Bourdon has been solid, but he's a guy you have on the ice for 14-15 minutes or so. For all the shortcomings of Carle, he plays 20+ minutes for a reason. What Gustafsson, Bourdon and Marshall might have shown in their games this season, is that the Lilja signing was slightly unnecessary. Stupid 35+ rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I would also if it wasn't a Hall of Famer coming back to push him back to the minors haha. He has played well though, a ton better than I expected. His biggest knock was his skating but it hasn't looked bad yet. Maybe he is improved and is looking for a spot next year! Any competition is good competition.
I wouldn't mind having Bourdon up a little longer and sit Lilja for a while. Lilja is up and down, and I think he'll tire if he plays too many games during the season. It's been good to see Bourdon (and Marshall) playing this well, perhaps we can thank our lucky stars it's been against the Hurricanes and the Islanders though, what with Bartulis and Walker having to pass through reentry waivers.

Old
11-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Bourdon has been solid, but he's a guy you have on the ice for 14-15 minutes or so. For all the shortcomings of Carle, he plays 20+ minutes for a reason. What Gustafsson, Bourdon and Marshall might have shown in their games this season, is that the Lilja signing was slightly unnecessary. Stupid 35+ rules...

I wouldn't mind having Bourdon up a little longer and sit Lilja for a while. Lilja is up and down, and I think he'll tire if he plays too many games during the season. It's been good to see Bourdon (and Marshall) playing this well, perhaps we can thank our lucky stars it's been against the Hurricanes and the Islanders though, what with Bartulis and Walker having to pass through reentry waivers.
The 35+ rule, re-entry waivers, LTIR, none of this would be an issue if our fearless idiot leader played his ****ing cards right in the first place.

Old
11-24-2011, 11:55 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Regarding the upcoming draft would anyone be against us trading up to get Galchenyuk? His stock is falling because of his injury so...I know we should go after defense but there is a lot of first round d men that could drop to the second round. Plus could you imagine Giroux to Galchenyuk? *drools*

Old
11-24-2011, 12:09 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Regarding the upcoming draft would anyone be against us trading up to get Galchenyuk? His stock is falling because of his injury so...I know we should go after defense but there is a lot of first round d men that could drop to the second round. Plus could you imagine Giroux to Galchenyuk? *drools*
I don't know who that is, but I'd be drafting defense in rounds 1-3

Old
11-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
No. We have plenty of young offensive players. Voracek, JVR, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Read ect.

We have nothing in terms of Young promising defensemen.

Mezaros 26
Coburn 26
Pronger 35+
Timonen 35+
Gustaffson 22
Bourdon 23

I wish we had someone like Hamilton in juniors.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
No. We have plenty of young offensive players. Voracek, JVR, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds, Read ect.

We have nothing in terms of Young promising defensemen.

Mezaros 26
Coburn 26
Pronger 35+
Timonen 35+
Gustaffson 22
Bourdon 23

I wish we had someone like Hamilton in juniors.
Hamilton was definitely the guy I wanted when I saw him dropping into our lap. I thought Couturier was going to get scooped up right before our pick though. I'd rather have Couturier than Hamilton so wishing for Hamilton now feels kind of weird.

That said, the list for 2012 will start to shape up soon, and there will be plenty of talented defensemen to pick from.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:42 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

Depends on how far Galchenyuk falls, what it would cost to trade up, what we do in Free Agency (Suter?) etc.

Old
11-24-2011, 03:57 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I don't know who that is, but I'd be drafting defense in rounds 1-3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Galchenyuk

Old
11-24-2011, 08:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Most mocks still have him going pretty high despite being out for the season, and knee injuries scare me. Plus he's a center. I agree with RoDu, we should be stacking up on defensemen in the first three rounds of this draft, and maybe Hyka will drop to the 4th for us

Old
11-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Eh, more or less 1000 posts. Making the new thread now, will post link here shortly.