HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

I'm Taking Offers for Drury

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Takeo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Los
Interestingly, he is the lowest-paid, highest-paid player in the league. (huh?) Every other team has at least one guy who makes more than Drury.

Looking around the league at who makes ~$3M, most other teams also have a $4, 5, 6M player on the roster. Not saying that makes them any better, but a more obvious scapegoat. We don't have that.
You can't compare Buffalo's payroll status to the majority of other teams around the league. Most teams have a salary cap of $39M, but us persecuted souls in Western New York operate within tighter restraints of around $28M, the revenue sharing cut-off. Drury at $2.9M in a $28M cap is relative to an overpaid player at $4-5M in a $39M cap in terms of the percentage of cap space wasted.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Kruschiki

I rather see a $29 million payroll in Buffalo than a $39 million payroll in portland or houston.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
selvirino

Isles:
Parrish ($1.9) + Niinima ($2.4) + Pettinen ($0.45)

Sabres:
Drury ($2.9) + Numminen ($2) + 4th round pick

Old
11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
I rather see a $29 million payroll in Buffalo than a $39 million payroll in portland or houston.
So be it. But that's not the point.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Rowley Birkin

agreed that we don't need Tarnstrom. he would bring nothing that we don't already have. i think he is a solid player tho, easily better than Campbell. I can't believe people are still criticising ALes, he has been a machine on the PP this year and surely gone some way to proving his worth.

Dumont for Salei would be bad for us IMO. If we could get Lupul that would be amazing, but it would take Vanek to get him.... so no. Even with Burke as GM.

No to the Blues deal, i don't think Weight is a good fit. and the Isles one is interesting, but i don't see Parrish as being a good fit either, and why would we move Teppo so soon after getting him on FA?

i'm agreed with whoever said that we need a #1 C, or an improvement on D. i don't see us having the pieces to make a deal, however.

Old
11-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
As an aside to a couple of deals mentioned so far:

- Weight has a no-trade clause and is a UFA this summer.
- Salei is UFA this summer.
- While Tarnstrom may be very good at the powerplay point position, he's subpar in his own zone. If they're making moves to ramp up come the deadline, sure, take a look and see if he's available -- but not for Drury.
- Chistov is a waste and not worth dealing a decent asset for unless they have some remarkable re-assurance from his agent that he's not going to completely flake. Target Samsanov as a FA this summer instead.

11-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Rowley Birkin

Samsonov would be a great signing, Chain. The guy makes things happen. and for a so called small, soft player i like his physical edge i don't like our chances of getting him tho.

another two legit talents on the wing that i think would look great in the Sabres jersey are Havlat {duh?} and also Marco Sturm. i'm not sure of either's contract status, but i think Havlat is an RFA.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:14 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Samsonov - Connolly - Afinogenov. Methinks I'd have to upgrade to HDTV just to make out the shapes in the blur.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Ossi Vaananen + 1st round pick

Old
11-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
Yes please.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Crazy Tasty

I was watching a Flyers game last week I think (my wife is from Philly and a fan) and they mentioned that Gagne will be a RFA and with the Flyers current cap woes there is a legitimate chance that he may be moved.

I find it hard to believe but they may not have much choice, he will demand a big pay raise unless he stops scoring altogether. He has really shown his scoring touch so far this season, but I lay a majority of that on Peter's gifted hands.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty
He has really shown his scoring touch so far this season, but I lay a majority of that on Peter's gifted hands.
Forsberg has set him up for easy goals time and time again. Before he got to Philly, Gagne was one of the most overrated players in the game. I'll pass on that paycheck as I don't see Gagne flourishing offensively in Buffalo.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
So be it. But that's not the point.
How is that not the point? Were you suggesting that the sabres should be paying a $39 million payroll? Because if you were, that's a deathwish for the franchise in buffalo.

Old
11-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
Forsberg has set him up for easy goals time and time again. Before he got to Philly, Gagne was one of the most overrated players in the game. I'll pass on that paycheck as I don't see Gagne flourishing offensively in Buffalo.
I wasn't trying to imply he would, but it has not been ALL of Peter's passes. Gagne has stepped it up this season.
His shot has vastly improved from past seasons and the ice opening up has allowed him to really use his skills.

I think Buffalo really needs a legit #1 center. To really develope Vanek's skill, they need someone to feed him the puck. So far this year I have seen Vanek feeding his linemates.

TV has really surprised me with his passing ability he seems to be able to find the open man and usually puts the puck on his stick and while that is great... I want TV shooting more.
IMO Weight is a guy I would want beside Vanek, contract status is less than desireable though.

Old
11-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin

Dumont for Salei would be bad for us IMO. If we could get Lupul that would be amazing, but it would take Vanek to get him.... so no. Even with Burke as GM.
why would it be bad? Dumont has been bad. we move the clutter on the wing and get a legitimate veteran top 4 guy.

Old
11-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
why would it be bad? Dumont has been bad. we move the clutter on the wing and get a legitimate veteran top 4 guy.
For sheeez.

Old
11-22-2005, 10:45 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Just 'cause, or what? Do we have to give you anything?

Old
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
who brings the lube? that would be a steal for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame
he has had a slow start, but i still see JP as an important player. he is one of the best finishers on the team, has great hands, and brings a solid physical game. and he seems to have good chemistry with anyone when he's playing well, particularly Briere.

Add to that, i don't see Salei as a great upgrade on D. we do need to clear some space up front tho {as i've been saying for ages}, we need to make one of those quantity for quality trades. unfortnately, they don't really happen outside of EA sports games.

as for Gagne, if we go after anyone, which lets face it we won't. but if we do, then Richards has to be the target. even if he wants big money, and TB can't sign him, i'd still pay big for him. something like Drury + Pyatt + 1st. not sure even that gets the job done however.

Old
11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
How is that not the point? Were you suggesting that the sabres should be paying a $39 million payroll? Because if you were, that's a deathwish for the franchise in buffalo.
My point was about Drury's salary relative to our payroll compared to other overpaid players around the league.

Old
11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Only one word comes to mind....

"Done".

Old
11-22-2005, 05:29 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Only one word comes to mind....

"Done".
If only Lacroix were that brain dead.

Old
11-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Drury quietly has 9 points in his last 12 games. i know all some of you can remember is the Shoot out right now. but the man has been solid for the last few weeks while being the goat around these boards.

Old
11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Drury quietly has 9 points in his last 12 games. i know all some of you can remember is the Shoot out right now. but the man has been solid for the last few weeks while being the goat around these boards.
It is painfully obvious that Buffalo fans need someone to pin their frustrations on, on a game-by-game basis.

7 points out a possible 8 in the last 4 is pretty darn good IMO.

Closed Thread