HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is a bad hockey team

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferek Stepaninner View Post
Based on goals scored, our primary scorers(Gaborik, Richards, Callahan) account for 21 total goals, almost half of the 43 that the team has. There hasn't been much secondary scoring.
Callahan IS secondary scoring...

And besides, when you have top-6 guys with stats like 1-9-10 and 1-7-8 and 7-2-9 who are typically more evenly spread, you know things are going to balance out over the long haul.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:09 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Depends on how you want to put it, if we're working it in that case then yes, he is, but that would also make Richards secondary scoring. As far as I'm concerned, one player doesn't equal primary scoring. Your primary scorers are your big guns, in our case, Richards, Gaborik, Callahan.

Our secondary scoring has been poor at best. Our defenseman make up a bulk of our goals with 9.

Only 8 players on the team have 2 or more goals. Those players are Prust, Girardi, Stepan, Gaborik, Richards, McDonagh, Callahan, and Del Zotto. Only 6 with 3 or more followed by 3 with 5 or more.

8 players have just 1 goal.

There has been little secondary scoring.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Based on goals scored, our primary scorers(Gaborik, Richards, Callahan) account for 21 total goals, almost half of the 43 that the team has. There hasn't been much secondary scoring.
From Larry Brooks article today:

Rangers’ defensemen scored 27 goals last year, led by Marc Staal’s seven. This year, the blue line has contributed nine goals to the cause, which computes to an 82-game pace of 48 goals. Through Friday night, only four teams -- the Canucks with 13, the Blue Jackets and Red Wings with 11 apiece, and the Capitals with 10 -- had gotten more production from the back end.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1de5yL0xi

Old
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

And besides, when you have top-6 guys with stats like 1-9-10 and 1-7-8 and 7-2-9 who are typically more evenly spread, you know things are going to balance out over the long haul.
See if Callahan is secondary scoring, who is part of the primary scoring? Gaborik?

In order for this team to contend they need everyone to do their job.

Gaborik needs to score goals and push defenses.

Richards needs to raise the level of whatever line he is on as well as improve the PP.

Callahan and Dubinsky need to play hard all over the ice and win the puck battles that make them successful and score 25 goals a piece.

Stepan and Anisimov need to continue to develop and work on being consistent. Hoping for 20 goals a piece from them.

Boyle, Prust and Fedotenko need to bring a blue-collar work ethic to the bottom-6 and play big-time PK minutes blocking shots. They need to account for at least 30 goals between the (3) of them.

The problem arises with the next (3) forwards. I believe the Boyle line and the next (3) players should split time evenly but right now Boyles line is being asked to play quite a bit more. I feel the Rangers NEED to improve in these (3) players and the team will be fine.

Go out and form a linewith players like Chris Kelly, Rich Peverly, Raffi Torres, etc. Hard-nosed players with skill and experience. Players who can score 10-15 goals a piece and play hard all over the ice. That is what they are missing.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
From Larry Brooks article today:

Rangers’ defensemen scored 27 goals last year, led by Marc Staal’s seven. This year, the blue line has contributed nine goals to the cause, which computes to an 82-game pace of 48 goals. Through Friday night, only four teams -- the Canucks with 13, the Blue Jackets and Red Wings with 11 apiece, and the Capitals with 10 -- had gotten more production from the back end.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1de5yL0xi
Girardi and McDonagh make up 6 of those 9. I'm not denouncing our defense, I'm happy enough with that production, but our forwards are flat.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Girardi and McDonagh make up 6 of those 9. I'm not denouncing our defense, I'm happy enough with that production, but our forwards are flat.
Does it matter? We are currently 5th in the NHL in goals from dman and you're knocking that 2 guys have 6 of the 9? Sorry but it seems you're nitpicking here.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:38 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Does it matter? We are currently 5th in the NHL in goals from dman and you're knocking that 2 guys have 6 of the 9? Sorry but it seems you're nitpicking here.
I guess you skipped the part in which I said I'm not denouncing our defense. I even said I'm happy with their production. I'm just saying it would be nice to have more secondary scoring. I think you need to read my full comment again.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:50 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I guess you skipped the part in which I said I'm not denouncing our defense. I even said I'm happy with their production. I'm just saying it would be nice to have more secondary scoring. I think you need to read my full comment again.
I read your comments...the first sentence says it all. If you're happy with the back end scoring why would you even care who has how many goals...it stands to reason that the 2 guys who have the highest TOI among dmen would be the offensive leaders.

I will agree that this team needs more scoring from more forwards, and part of that comes from getting the PP going, 23rd is embarassing.

Old
11-13-2011, 09:55 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
I read your comments...the first sentence says it all. If you're happy with the back end scoring why would you even care who has how many goals...it stands to reason that the 2 guys who have the highest TOI among dmen would be the offensive leaders.

I will agree that this team needs more scoring from more forwards, and part of that comes from getting the PP going, 23rd is embarassing.
I was also just stating pure fact. Is there something wrong with that? It would be nice to have seen at least 2 more goals out of MDZ with the many chances he has had and missed. Guys like Woywitka have also had chances they could have completed on.

I think you're just dragging something out of my sentence that I didn't completely mean.

The first sentence can also state pure facts, and that was my goal, to state pure facts. You can think whatever you want about my comment, you took out something I didn't intend to say.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
NYRangers16

Woywitka is a stopgap and nothing more. Anyone expecting him to do anything more than play 10 mins of even hockey vs 3rd and 4th liners is really asking too much. He's in there to not hurt us and to not do anything stupid til Staalis back - considering how many times we've seen Eminger give the puck right to a forward in front of th net, or MDZ throw a blind pass right through the slot I think we can all be grateful for the role Woywitka is playing.

Ideally McD/Girardi would be pair 2...Staal and Weber/Doughty/Burns would be my ideal 1st pair but those are all pipe dreams that will never happen.

Considering everything, the D scoring has been nice, and most likely a total fluke.

Old
11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
ltrangerfan

Yes the lack of secondary scoring is currently a problem.

I guess the questions to ask are:

1)Are the goalies playing "hot" and will cool off?

2)Is the defense playing over their head?

3)Will the Stepan line cool off and we will be back to, "who can score?

If any of the 3 change what will be the teams record over the next 10 games? If 2 questions flip then ... will we back to asking, Is this a bad team?

Teams look super when winning. Is the team hot or can we expect to see the same performance over the rest of the season?

Old
11-14-2011, 01:36 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Woywitka is a stopgap and nothing more. Anyone expecting him to do anything more than play 10 mins of even hockey vs 3rd and 4th liners is really asking too much. He's in there to not hurt us and to not do anything stupid til Staalis back - considering how many times we've seen Eminger give the puck right to a forward in front of th net, or MDZ throw a blind pass right through the slot I think we can all be grateful for the role Woywitka is playing.

Ideally McD/Girardi would be pair 2...Staal and Weber/Doughty/Burns would be my ideal 1st pair but those are all pipe dreams that will never happen.

Considering everything, the D scoring has been nice, and most likely a total fluke.
I hate to admit it but Woywitka actually played much much better then Eminger this season. Eminger gonna be in press box when Staal comes back. They may have found something with Woywitka. Hes the 5 right now. Eminger played himselve down to the 6.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:14 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Yes the lack of secondary scoring is currently a problem.

I guess the questions to ask are:

1)Are the goalies playing "hot" and will cool off?

2)Is the defense playing over their head?

3)Will the Stepan line cool off and we will be back to, "who can score?

If any of the 3 change what will be the teams record over the next 10 games? If 2 questions flip then ... will we back to asking, Is this a bad team?

Teams look super when winning. Is the team hot or can we expect to see the same performance over the rest of the season?
"Yes" to all 3 questions plus yes, they just hot temporarily. Torts can get a team hot. Can he sustain it? I will give him a credit when not so hot team will continue winning out of favorable schedule patch.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:24 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
I hate to admit it but Woywitka actually played much much better then Eminger this season. Eminger gonna be in press box when Staal comes back. They may have found something with Woywitka. Hes the 5 right now. Eminger played himselve down to the 6.
Question is will MDZ ever learn? He's stronger this year and hitting, but the boneheaded plays are still there. Tbh it's something of a miracle(and a credit toSather/Torts) that our D has functioned this well so far given the players we've had.

Old
11-14-2011, 08:54 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

All I know is I'm sick of seeing this thread at the top when we've won 6 in a row, and have 21 points.

Bump it when we suck, but not now.

Old
11-14-2011, 09:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

There's got to be a compassionate caring moderator out there who can lock this stupid ass thread.

Old
11-14-2011, 09:28 AM
NYROrtsFan

You people who want the perfect scenario of everyone scoring the perfect amount of goals are never going to get it...

Hope that the team plays well and finds ways to win games. Right now they are doing that...

Old
11-14-2011, 10:36 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
There's got to be a compassionate caring moderator out there who can lock this stupid ass thread.
There will be nothing to talk about. IMO, Winter Classic is a waste of time, but I do not want those who like the idea to see their thread closed.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
See if Callahan is secondary scoring, who is part of the primary scoring? Gaborik?
Primary scoring is what your first line produces and that's whoever is playing with Gaborik. Secondary scoring is everything else.

This whole conversation is ridiculous anyway. Most games aren't going to be "4 goals, 2 for the Gaborik line, 2 from secondary sources." What you actually need was shown in the last three games. Your primary scoring is producing for a couple of games and you win. The next game, your primary scoring gets shut down, but your team still finds a way to get goals and win the game. Most nights, the scoring will not be spread throughout the lineup. It will be provided by whoever happens to have the hot hand on that particular night.

Old
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
94now

Quote:
Primary scoring is what your first line produces and that's whoever is playing with Gaborik. Secondary scoring is everything else.
Top 6 - Primary Scorers
Bottom 6 AND the Ds - Secondary Scorers.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:10 PM
stasiewich

Well we started winning after this thread was posted, and haven't won without this thread being near the top, not that i believe in jinx's or anything but... Up to the top!

Old
11-23-2011, 10:23 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Oh no 2 game losing streak and this thread pops up again. This board is hilarious lol.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:12 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
2 game losing streak; Do not want! But we will get over it... we need to come back raging. we are a good club with a bum coach.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:26 AM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Unless we can muster more than 20 shots a game on a GOOD game, we are gonna go on a long losing streak, just like the winning streak.

I think it has more to do with the excessive amount of time off than Tortorella's coaching, though.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
11-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

2 games isn't a streak. it's two in a row. three is a streak

Closed Thread