Jets lose to Caps 4-3 (OT)

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Some Coach and team notes on Hainsey's return:

Noel: "He did the best he could. He certainly played hard, it would have been a hard game to play. It was a pretty heavy game"

Little: "He's huge, he plays a tons of minutes he's really reliable back there. He's smart, he's been in the league a long time and not only does he help us on the ice, he helps us in the dressing room too and keeps us under control. He's one of those guys that can calm you down."

Wheeler: "He wants the puck and he can skate with it. As a forward, you love when he has the puck because he makes good plays with it. He makes a lot happen for our team it's great to have him back."

Old
11-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by Burmistrov's declining ice time of late.

I'll preface my comments by saying that I like the kid and want him as a part of the team. He is said a rinkrat, clearly wants to learn and contribute, and he has been great on the pk and has paid attention to defensive detail at times. That said, allow me to do some rational analysis sans fan bias.

He scored a bunch of points early in the year and was arguably the Jets best player over roughly their first ten games. During that period though the team was also under performing and in an unstructured manner at that. Players from that part of the world thrive in that sort of an environment because they are good at improvisation. Of late the team results have improved but his offensive output has fallen off the map.

His job description as a forward playing professional hockey could best be described as:
a) score points
b) distribute the puck to your teammates
c) manage the puck; don't give it away

He hasn't been scoring points of late while employed in a results oriented job. When first moved to the wing he was dishing the puck frequently. When playing with anyone other than Antropov though he has been over-handing the puck instead of passing it and was committing continual soft giveaways along the boards as a result when trying to beat guys one on one... when he shouldn't be. He gives the puck away far too often when playing five on five. I'm guessing that Fehr joining the roster gave them an excuse to get him off the wing and to hopefully stop turning the puck over so much. Yet in limited viewings back at center, he has now reverted again to over handling the puck versus distributing it.

He shows a lot of promise but I'm guessing is also driving the coaches crazy of late; those aren't lozenges Noel is using, it is probably heartburn medication! 20 year old players that don't play within the system, give the puck away softly and constantly, and aren't really producing points of late find themselves with reduced ice time as a result. It is pretty clear that they want him to play a more structured game and to move the puck when he is expected to, in other words to manage the puck much more effectively. He needs to watch some tape of Jeff Skinner to see how that is done properly by a player of similar size and strength.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:29 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Some Coach and team notes on Hainsey's return:

I like the way they "eased" him back into the lineup too.

Only 23:34 TOI.

+2 for the night as well - great to have him back.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 50
The Hains is a great addition back. My mind often wonders what we'd be like with a full defensive unit of Enstrom, Hainsey, Bogosian, Stuart, Byfuglien, Oduya, etc. as the top 6. As of right now, i'd guess pretty damn good. These injuries we've taken in my opinion will benefit this group in terms of some of these guys really having to step up into higher roles and play big minutes. Overall they've done very well. As a healthy group, whenever that time may come, they should be quite solid, I would think.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Now that "The Hains" has caught on, I'd like to get "Zachy Goj" into the mix as well, and I thought of one more.

I'd like to term Johnny Oduya as "John Legend" in honor of his incredible handle bar mustache.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by Burmistrov's declining ice time of late.

I'll preface my comments by saying that I like the kid and want him as a part of the team. He is said a rinkrat, clearly wants to learn and contribute, and he has been great on the pk and has paid attention to defensive detail at times. That said, allow me to do some rational analysis sans fan bias.

He scored a bunch of points early in the year and was arguably the Jets best player over roughly their first ten games. During that period though the team was also under performing and in an unstructured manner at that. Players from that part of the world thrive in that sort of an environment because they are good at improvisation. Of late the team results have improved but his offensive output has fallen off the map.

His job description as a forward playing professional hockey could best be described as:
a) score points

He hasn't been scoring points of late while employed in a results oriented job. When first moved to the wing he was dishing the puck frequently. When playing with anyone other than Antropov though he has been over-handing the puck instead of passing it and was committing continual soft giveaways along the boards as a result when trying to beat guys one on one... when he shouldn't be. He gives the puck away far too often when playing five on five. I'm guessing that Fehr joining the roster gave them an excuse to get him off the wing and to hopefully stop turning the puck over so much. Yet in limited viewings back at center, he has now reverted again to over handling the puck versus distributing it.

He shows a lot of promise but I'm guessing is also driving the coaches crazy of late; those aren't lozenges Noel is using, it is probably heartburn medication! 20 year old players that don't play within the system, give the puck away softly and constantly, and aren't really producing points of late find themselves with reduced ice time as a result. It is pretty clear that they want him to play a more structured game and to move the puck when he is expected to, in other words to manage the puck much more effectively. He needs to watch some tape of Jeff Skinner to see how that is done properly by a player of similar size and strength.
Maybe he's been watching too much Blake Wheeler video...

But yeah, he's sort of reverted back to his pre-season form of looking like he's about to do something and then having the play fizzle.

He still backchecks hard. I think the fans here all appreciate that Burmi looks like he's working hard and really trying out there every game...unlike some other players who, if they put forth half the effort that Burmistrov does, would maybe prevent the odd goal (I'm looking at you, Byfuglien-in-OT-last-night).

Speaking of Byfuglien, there was one stretch in the 3rd period where he looked like he was on the ice for 2 1/2 minutes. The puck would go up ice and deep into the Washington zone and they'd bring it back - and Buff was still there on D...like 3 times this happened before he finally went off. And he really looked out of gas the last time he had to handle the puck. Shorter shifts, Buff!

Old
11-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Now that "The Hains" has caught on, I'd like to get "Zachy Goj" into the mix as well, and I thought of one more.

I'd like to term Johnny Oduya as "John Legend" in honor of his incredible handle bar mustache.
I have to ask, where did Zachy Goj come from and what exactly does it mean? I know who it is for, but i'm failing to understand it.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I have to ask, where did Zachy Goj come from and what exactly does it mean? I know who it is for, but i'm failing to understand it.
No clue.

I'll usually add a 'y' onto a players name like "Ronny", and I occasionally use "Dusty Buffs".

I suppose it was a matter of time until "Zachy" came on. And "Goj" just has a good sound to it.

Once I was able to post the enunciation I was going for.

Man I have too much free time at work.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Guerzy
ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
No clue.

I'll usually add a 'y' onto a players name like "Ronny", and I occasionally use "Dusty Buffs".

I suppose it was a matter of time until "Zachy" came on. And "Goj" just has a good sound to it.

Once I was able to post the enunciation I was going for.

Man I have too much free time at work.
You know what, this makes it even funnier and more likable. Well done, Lynk.

If the day ever comes that I can find a GOOD picture of Bogosian to make an avatar out of, I would glady place the words "Zachy Goj" in my custom user title.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The Hains is a great addition back. My mind often wonders what we'd be like with a full defensive unit of Enstrom, Hainsey, Bogosian, Stuart, Byfuglien, Oduya, etc. as the top 6. As of right now, i'd guess pretty damn good. These injuries we've taken in my opinion will benefit this group in terms of some of these guys really having to step up into higher roles and play big minutes. Overall they've done very well. As a healthy group, whenever that time may come, they should be quite solid, I would think.
I agree! Our big problem is the elephant in the room known as Dustin Byfuglien. No amount of healthy bodies or great farm hand performances will get him out of our top 6, and that is a damned shame. We could have a D corps that is the envy of many in the league. Byfuglien has been doing more good things of late, but he wears the goat horns again for the loss last night.

I shudder when I think of the amount of points #33 has lost for this team already this year.

11-24-2011, 12:02 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Happy Thanksgiving to the US based Jet's fans who post here!

Old
11-24-2011, 12:06 PM
TroubaFan1

I like the way our team has been battling latly. But a tough loss regardless. We still have much work to do on the defensive side of things.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:05 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to the US based Jet's fans who post here!
I am still hanging in the States until Monday and the family has been invited to a friends for US thanksgiving!!! Also we were lucky enough to have Nickleback on the half time show for the packers Lions Game today hope my fellow Jets posters have their PVR's set since I know they are the house band for the board!!

Hainsey looked tremendous last night and he is pretty much the only defensman on our team I don't hold my breath on when he is playing.....despite vast improvements to some of the boys on our D core it's still tough to relax completely and "The Hains" brings the heart rate down!!

Zacky Goj is almost there as well!!

Old
11-24-2011, 02:08 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

a) score points

Great post Gump and you are bringing some much needed balance to the debate!!

Old
11-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I am still hanging in the States until Monday and the family has been invited to a friends for US thanksgiving!!! Also we were lucky enough to have Nickleback on the half time show for the packers Lions Game today hope my fellow Jets posters have their PVR's set since I know they are the house band for the board!!

Hainsey looked tremendous last night and he is pretty much the only defensman on our team I don't hold my breath on when he is playing.....despite vast improvements to some of the boys on our D core it's still tough to relax completely and "The Hains" brings the heart rate down!!

Zacky Goj is almost there as well!!

Old
11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

I like "jersey johnny" for oduya cause to me he's playing like the Devils version. We could shorten out to jj too

Old
11-24-2011, 03:16 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
Seems to be a different set of rules when it comes to Buff. He can give up goals and cost us games but is put right back out.
All players are treated equally but some are more equal than others.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
All players are treated equally but some are more equal than others.
Didn't realize that TNSE was an Orwellian organization?

Old
11-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I agree! Our big problem is the elephant in the room known as Dustin Byfuglien. No amount of healthy bodies or great farm hand performances will get him out of our top 6, and that is a damned shame. We could have a D corps that is the envy of many in the league. Byfuglien has been doing more good things of late, but he wears the goat horns again for the loss last night.

I shudder when I think of the amount of points #33 has lost for this team already this year.
I'm gonna defend Buff here too. Fact is, the team would be weaker without him. He gets tons of shots on net and is great offensively. Only Wellwood has more points than Buff.

I mean you talk about him costing us games, but he's got us some wins too. If he wasn't in the lineup and in his place was an 'average', competent but unspectacular NHL D-man, this team would likely be doing about as well as Columbus.

At this point I can't say he'd be better as a forward. I'd say he just needs to keep improving as a D-Man but keep doing everything else he's doing.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
I'm gonna defend Buff here too. Fact is, the team would be weaker without him. He gets tons of shots on net and is great offensively. Only Wellwood has more points than Buff.

I mean you talk about him costing us games, but he's got us some wins too. If he wasn't in the lineup and in his place was an 'average', competent but unspectacular NHL D-man, this team would likely be doing about as well as Columbus.

At this point I can't say he'd be better as a forward. I'd say he just needs to keep improving as a D-Man but keep doing everything else he's doing.
Great post. Last time I looked he was tied for 4th amongst d-men in scoring league wide.

#thumbsup

Old
11-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

If Buff were out of the lineup, you'd probably figure out how valuable he is pretty fast. He's one of the main reasons that the Jets have consistently been able to apply good pressure in the offensive zone. He's up there pinching and letting the other players go in and forecheck really deep, even if it can lead to opposition breaks on more occasions than you'd want. There's also his scary shot. I think we just have to let him find his game. He's still a young guy.

Old
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post

When he stops giving the opponents grade A chances to score game in game out I will be more supportive of him.

If you create 20 goals but cause 30 against you aren't helping the team. The part that hurts us is when Byfuglien is making these mistakes. There is not one other player on this team that has cost us more games.

Closed Thread