HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Unibroue In Ottawa?

Old
11-24-2011, 01:36 AM
djcreepshow

vCash: 500
OT: Unibroue In Ottawa?

Hey all,

Just moved to Ottawa about 7 weeks ago. I really like it, beautiful city. However, I have a question... or three.

I've been to about 6-7 different LCBOs and nobody carries any Unibroue beers except for Blanche De Chambly. I asked about them and apparently they don't sell well here so they don't carry them anymore. I also asked if there was an independent, specialty beer/wine shop in Ottawa that you can find Unibroue or more obscure/import beers and whatnot, and I was told that there is not. Is this true? Even Halifax has a really good shop for that and Halifax doesn't have a hell of a lot of anything. I have heard of Broue Ha Ha over in Gatineau, but seeing as I don't drive and live in Old Ottawa South, that's kind of a long trek. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might find this stuff somewhat close to my area? I've checked online and it seems that all of the LCBOs carry pretty much the same inventory and little to no Unibroue.

Also, does anyone know of any pubs in the Old Ottawa South/Glebe area that serves Unibroue stuff? Or has a really good selection of hard to find/import beers? Thanks everyone. Have a great one!

Glenn

djcreepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:00 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Almost every beer store ive been to always had la fin du monde and la maudite. Infact its la blanche de chanblay that I usually have difficulty finding. But, yea, try the beer store instead of the LCBO.

Also, Pub Italia is a good place in Ottawa for beer.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

I have roughly the same problem as you. I have Broue Ha Ha a couple blocks away but they really specialize in beer brewed in Quebec which I am indifferent to. It's a pretty small shop so the european/asian imports are limited, roughly equivalent to the typical grocery store selection.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Go over to the Ale King. They carry quite a few unibroue items and will save you some money.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I think Épicerie Jovi is the closest spot - it's still a bit of a trek (it's just south of boul. Taché and Promenade de la Gatineau), but it's a whole lot closer than Broue Ha Ha - if you're bussing, there are three or four STO buses you can take from downtown that'll get you there.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 08:27 AM
starling

Quote:
Infact its la blanche de chanblay that I usually have difficulty finding.
Blanche De Chambly is sold now at Costco in Gatineau for 12.99+tax for 12 bottles.

starling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:05 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Attachment 50227

Last edited by JonnyMacSen: 12-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.
JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Blanche De Chambly is sold now at Costco in Gatineau for 12.99+tax for 12 bottles.

It's true...

I bought 24 last time I was there. Nothing like a premium beer for lakeport prices.

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Yeah, you gotta find a way over to Gatineau. That's one of the great things about living in Ottawa compared to the rest of Ontario (hell, the rest of Canada).

I'm not too familiar with Quebec beers, but I could help with Ontario beers if you need recommendations.

Kekumba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:04 AM
jbeck5

Anyone know where you can find four loko?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Laoghaire

The LCBO on Bank near South Keys has them. Also they have Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel beers as well.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:02 AM
djcreepshow

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll check some of these places out.

djcreepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
The LCBO on Bank near South Keys has them. Also they have Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel beers as well.
This! It's the one thats thankfully within walking distance from me!

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
I'm not too familiar with Quebec beers, but I could help with Ontario beers if you need recommendations.
I have a deep love for the Boréale line. They're generally about $8 for a 6-pack, and it's very good quality beer (this coming from a beer snob). Boréale Noire is one of my favourite beers.

Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time shopping around for beer this summer. My wife and I were buying a large quantity of beer for our wedding, and so we wanted to get the best price possible. Costco, of course, had the cheapest beer, but there's a limit on how much you can buy in a certain period of time. Suffice it to say we exceeded our limit, and had to get managerial approval to buy as much as we did. We can't buy more beer at Costco for another month yet.

For the nicer beers, we went to IGA. IGA has the best prices on beer amongst the grocery stores, and they have a pretty good selection too. Especially if you like Québécois beer, and especially if you go to one of the bigger ones. The prices at IGA are maybe a dollar or two higher than Costco, which isn't bad.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
salomonster

Buy in QC way cheaper that ON.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote