HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

David Rundblad II (Bigup Blade Runner on his first goal! 11/27/11 vs. Canes)

Old
11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Marble

vCash: 500
I thought MacLean said something about how they were making sure he adjusted to the NHL schedule since he wasn't used to playing this many games...?

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
I thought MacLean said something about how they were making sure he adjusted to the NHL schedule since he wasn't used to playing this many games...?
He said that while his play was good. He struggled that one game, while everyone struggled and at that time they probably felt it was right to step back for a couple and regroup. Then he came back and wasn't all that good, he sat, MacLean said his play in his own end wasn't good enough at that point and he hasn't played since.

Sitting 6 of the last 8 games is a little bit more than managing his schedule. I expect he'll play soon, it may not be against that juggernaut Pittsburgh but probably after they lose to them (lol) they can justify throwing him back in. Would love to see him at least play a game or two in Bingo even if they bring him back between games because we are low on healthy Dmen.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That wouldn't necessarily prove anything, I've already said Rundblad's due for a game, especially after a 5 day layoff and 3 games sat prior. They have to get Rundblad in at some point and nothing Lee does is going to keep him from being the odd man out. No matter how good the guy plays he isn't jumping EK, Cowen or the vets for ice time (he hasn't proven to bring more importance than any of those guys either)
Anyways, Brian Lee has his fans and he has his detractors. I've never seen any one player do so little and actually play poorly and have so many fans back him up as a good player.

But anyways like I've always said 'i would love B. Lee to turn into Jordan Leopold (like he was supposed to when we drafted him) or now that he's changed his game into a Ladislav Smid, that would be amazing for our team"...I just don;t see either of those things happening at a top 6 NHL level.

When Brian Lee is playing for another team and we see Spezza come in on him with speed, I think we will all see him objectively for what he is when he isn't wearing a Sens jersey, and we'll all be thankful he is someone elses project

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Ottawa likes to put on a show against the 'burgh. Hopefully Crosby isn't so far into beastmode at that point that we don't have a chance.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Anyways, Brian Lee has his fans and he has his detractors. I've never seen any one player do so little and actually play poorly and have so many fans back him up as a good player.

But anyways like I've always said 'i would love B. Lee to turn into Jordan Leopold (like he was supposed to when we drafted him) or now that he's changed his game into a Ladislav Smid, that would be amazing for our team"...I just don;t see either of those things happening at a top 6 NHL level.

When Brian Lee is playing for another team and we see Spezza come in on him with speed, I think we will all see him objectively for what he is when he isn't wearing a Sens jersey, and we'll all be thankful he is someone elses project
He hasn't played poorly though, he's just the epitome of the "invisible Dman". He's one of the most useless Dmen in the league from the offensive blue line and in. But he's good in his own end from a depth defensemen standard and he outlets the puck quick, efficiently and very consistently.

He's been a top 6 NHL Dman for about a year now. The reason fans go out of their way to praise him, is because he gets so much flack from others. At the end of the day, the detraction and the praise negates itself and all you have is a decent bottom pairing Dman that can play every night. The one caveat is, he does nothing very well and you're always going to want even your depth players bringing something noteworthy to the table. Lee doesn't, and that's why I don't think he's here beyond this year.

A team like Edmonton, who has 4-5 healthy NHL Dmen could use a guy like this. Brian Lee may be a bit of a journeyman in his career, but I expect he'll play in the league for a while because every team is apt to injuries on defense and Brian Lee can play NHL defense.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Grigo25*

Brian Lee will tearing up AHL at end of deal

Grigo25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigo25 View Post
Have you proven me to be a homer yet or can you admit you were just blowing smoke?

Old
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Doubt that Grigo!!!

Lee is playing because he is better than Rundblad at this point in time, even considering Rundblad has so much offensive potential.

There are many NHL defencement that don't bring a whole lot to the table offensively, but do a solid job defensively. Lee will be in the NHL for years, just possibly not with Ottawa.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Doubt that Grigo!!!

Lee is playing because he is better than Rundblad at this point in time, even considering Rundblad has so much offensive potential.

There are many NHL defencement that don't bring a whole lot to the table offensively, but do a solid job defensively. Lee will be in the NHL for years, just possibly not with Ottawa.
Disagree with that. Rundblad is the better player but fact of the matter is expierence is keeping Lee in the lineup along with a very defined roll. I don't think there is any doubt who the better player is right now (Rundblad) but Lee knows how to play the NHL game and MacLean has made it very clear what his job is out there.

Like I said before, those 2 will rotate in and out all year long unless Lee is traded, in which case it will be Carkner and Rundblad coming in and out.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Disagree with that. Rundblad is the better player but fact of the matter is expierence is keeping Lee in the lineup along with a very defined roll. I don't think there is any doubt who the better player is right now (Rundblad) but Lee knows how to play the NHL game and MacLean has made it very clear what his job is out there.

Like I said before, those 2 will rotate in and out all year long unless Lee is traded, in which case it will be Carkner and Rundblad coming in and out.
A little contradiction I think.

If Rundblad was the better player he would be playing. You use one set of standards for Rundblad, another for Filatov. Why is that?

MacLean would dress Rundblad IF he could do what Lee is doing, it is that simple. Reality is, Rundblad's defensive play is keeping him out and his offence isn't enough to get him regular minutes. Of course Rundblad will get more games, but if the Sens keep themselves close to the top eight in the East and he doesn't show marked improvement, his games will all but disappear.

I am not suggesting Rundblad doesn't have a world of potential, but like Filatov, potential only buys so much.

I am starting to think the only reason Rundblad hasn't been sent to the AHL is he will use the clause in his contract that allows him to go back to Sweden.

PS exactly when did you hear MacLean state exactly what Lee's job is out there???

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 11-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old
11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
A little contradiction I think.

If Rundblad was the better player he would be playing. You use one set of standards for Rundblad, another for Filatov. Why is that?

MacLean would dress Rundblad IF he could do what Lee is doing, it is that simple. Reality is, Rundblad's defensive play is keeping him out and his offence isn't enough to get him regular minutes. Of course Rundblad will get more games, but if the Sens keep themselves close to the top eight in the East and he doesn't show marked improvement, his games will all but disappear.

I am not suggesting Rindblad doesn't have a world of potential, but like Filatov, potential only buys so much.

I am starting to think the only reason Rundblad hasn't been sent to the AHL is he will use the clause in his contract that allows him to go back to Sweden.

PS exactly when did you hear MacLean state exactly what Lee's job is out there???
Why does he need to state it? It's pretty obvious what his job is out there and that's to play a very defensive/physical role.

Rundblad, not unlike a lot of other players such as Filatov, needs to figure out the NHL/NA game. Rundblad has shown though that his game does translate well to the NHL as opposed to Filatov who has not shown that as of it. Rundblad needs to earn his ice though, no doubt. Right now, Lee is outplaying him and it will be a good thing down the line when Rundblad realizes how hard he needs to work to be an everyday player.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Why does he need to state it? It's pretty obvious what his job is out there and that's to play a very defensive/physical role.

Rundblad, not unlike a lot of other players such as Filatov, needs to figure out the NHL/NA game. Rundblad has shown though that his game does translate well to the NHL as opposed to Filatov who has not shown that as of it. Rundblad needs to earn his ice though, no doubt. Right now, Lee is outplaying him and it will be a good thing down the line when Rundblad realizes how hard he needs to work to be an everyday player.
Actually Lee's job is to play like an NHL defenceman and do so while playing with a rookie named Cowen. He is doing that job very well, a job Rundblad isn't close to being able to perform, yet.

Everything you say about Rundblad applies to Filatov, no exceptions. Filatov and Rundblad have a load of skill, but neither have shown they are well enough rounded to be successful in the NHL, yet.

I hope both get more opportunity at the NHL level in the near term, but whether that be Filatov or Rundblad, they both have to earn their minutes with their play on the ice.

Old
11-24-2011, 03:01 AM
PTmbp13

Rundblad not in the lineup is just a huge joke

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Grigo25*

Lee not playing better than Rnudblad. Lee just playing

Old
11-24-2011, 09:10 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
You could argue Lee is playing better defensively than Rundblad, while Rundblad is playing better offensively then Lee.

JonnyMacSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Quote:

Quote:
Actually Lee's job is to play like an NHL defenceman and do so while playing with a rookie named Cowen. He is doing that job very well, a job Rundblad isn't close to being able to perform, yet.

Everything you say about Rundblad applies to Filatov, no exceptions. Filatov and Rundblad have a load of skill, but neither have shown they are well enough rounded to be successful in the NHL, yet.

I hope both get more opportunity at the NHL level in the near term, but whether that be Filatov or Rundblad, they both have to earn their minutes with their play on the ice.
Out of curiosity in what way has Rundblad shown that he hasn't shown to be well-rounded enough to be successful in the NHL? On top of that in what way has Lee outplayed Rundblad? What applies to Filatov definitely doesn't apply to Rundblad. The only time that Rundblad has really looked bad is when the whole team has looked bad. In the minutes he's been given he's shown a lot of poise, solid defensive positioning and few defensive mistakes. Offensively he has brought a lot more to the table than Lee will likely never bring, and he's done it with increasing frequency and with very little opportunity.

Why Rundblad is sitting is beyond me. I would be very surprised if he is not playing on Friday.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:04 AM
operasen

DaCosta and Rundblad should be AHL guy; especially Rundblad if he's not playing. Let himm develop ala Karlsson. A month down there and he'll be dominating. Bingo could use him as well.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Grigo25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Out of curiosity in what way has Rundblad shown that he hasn't shown to be well-rounded enough to be successful in the NHL? On top of that in what way has Lee outplayed Rundblad? What applies to Filatov definitely doesn't apply to Rundblad. The only time that Rundblad has really looked bad is when the whole team has looked bad. In the minutes he's been given he's shown a lot of poise, solid defensive positioning and few defensive mistakes. Offensively he has brought a lot more to the table than Lee will likely never bring, and he's done it with increasing frequency and with very little opportunity.

Why Rundblad is sitting is beyond me. I would be very surprised if he is not playing on Friday.
well you be in for shock of your life cuz Rnudblad was on 4th pairing in practice yesterday

Old
11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

He's outplayed Rundblad clearly at the end of the ice that we need more help in.

Quote:
Wrong.

Coach says:

Quote:
ďThe biggest part for that is Rundbladís play without the puck struggled. Brian Lee went in and played real well, and the team played well. The team continued to win, and Brian Leeís play didnít go down. It elevated. He played the way he needed to play, and over this last stretch of the time, Brian Lee has been a better player, so he was in the lineup. And for those two guys, thatís the way itís going to be.Ē

Old
11-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Grigo25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He's outplayed Rundblad clearly at the end of the ice that we need more help in.

Wrong.

Coach says:
stop brownnosing MacLean at every opptunity

yeah and just week ago he says Rundblad is better player than Lee

Old
11-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

It's not even true that Rundblad struggled defensively. Maybe one game.

I swear Lee gets a pass defensively because he can't shoot or pass the puck. Guess what Rundblad blots shots like he was Volchenkov and he gets the puck out of the zone in a hurry.

You know what? I'm sick of Lee. Guy has no skill at all. Just gets by and pretends to be physical so he can cash his check. He doesn't make many mistakes? I HOPE SO, he'd be the worst freaking defenseman in the NHL if he made mistakes.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
stop brownnosing MacLean at every opptunity

yeah and just week ago he says Rundblad is better player than Lee
As opposed to brownnosing you at any opportunity?

I said before I quoted anything from MacLean that Lee's been better. Either way, just quoting an authority on the matter.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-24-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old
11-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
It's not even true that Rundblad struggled defensively. Maybe one game.

I swear Lee gets a pass defensively because he can't shoot or pass the puck. Guess what Rundblad blots shots like he was Volchenkov and he gets the puck out of the zone in a hurry.

You know what? I'm sick of Lee. Guy has no skill at all. Just gets by and pretends to be physical so he can cash his check. He doesn't make many mistakes? I HOPE SO, he'd be the worst freaking defenseman in the NHL if he made mistakes.
He's similar in effectiveness as Phillips is right now, a little cleaner on the breakout. Nothing wrong with Lee's game it just doesn't endear him to fans, especially ones that want to see Rundblad play.

Rundblad struggled that one game where everyone struggle, he sat 3 games, came back and struggled a little less for two games. I'm surprised it's gotten him sat for this long but I don't know what's said behind closed doors or what the plan is.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Grigo25*

seriously how lee playing better than Rundblad when Rundblad not even playing? make no sens