HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #21: St. Louis Blues at Pittsburgh Penguins

Old
11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Blues0307

vCash: 500
Petro makes a bad pass that leads to Pitt's first goal, but comes back to play a heck of a game and gets a beautiful game winner. What's not to love about the way this kid plays the game.

Oshie, Backes, and Sobotka are really showing a lot of heart game in and game out. What a tenacious group.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post

This will now be in all future GDTs
Well played sir.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Petro makes a bad pass that leads to Pitt's first goal, but comes back to play a heck of a game and gets a beautiful game winner. What's not to love about the way this kid plays the game.

Oshie, Backes, and Sobotka are really showing a lot of heart game in and game out. What a tenacious group.
You can add Steen to that group as well.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
TerminatorBlue

:God the last 5 minutes of the game I was praying we would come out with 1 point, glad to see we won that game and that it did not have to go to a shootout which is our bread and butter like our powerplay.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
I stand corrected.

Twice. And since it was Crosby thats even sweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
He robbed Crosby, that was a thing of beauty too. Impressive game on a back to back.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:03 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Twice. And since it was Crosby thats even sweeter.
Definitely not gonna complain.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:04 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
So I was just wondering, I know it's only been a few games since Hitchcock was hired but it seems like the Blues have really responded well with him. They've beat some strong teams and had a few dominating games. Beating Pittsburgh tonight in their building with a healthy team is a pretty big deal I think. I honestly felt the Blues had no chance in winning tonight because when a team gets a star player like Crosby back they have so much excitement to play it's hard to beat them, let alone an elite team in their building. Are the Blues an elite team yet or do they still have a few years to get there?

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
So I was just wondering, I know it's only been a few games since Hitchcock was hired but it seems like the Blues have really responded well with him. They've beat some strong teams and had a few dominating games. Beating Pittsburgh tonight in their building with a healthy team is a pretty big deal I think. I honestly felt the Blues had no chance in winning tonight because when a team gets a star player like Crosby back they have so much excitement to play it's hard to beat them, let alone an elite team in their building. Are the Blues an elite team yet or do they still have a few years to get there?
Not yet, but they are on the verge of being very good, especially if Berglund and Stewart start producing.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
You can add Steen to that group as well.
Good point.

And Elliott was impressive again tonight. I really like his competitiveness.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Herb25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
:God the last 5 minutes of the game I was praying we would come out with 1 point, glad to see we won that game and that it did not have to go to a shootout which is our bread and butter like our powerplay.
The shootout only worries me when Halak is in goal.

Herb25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

I don't like shootouts in general, give me a heart attack.

What a game, love seeing the frustration on Crosby's face. Very unexpected win, the next few games will be key.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Not close to that yet.

Our results under Hitch have been great, 12 points in 8 games is excellent. That shouldn't fool us though, because a lot needs to change for us to be a solid playoff team, as it stands we are a bubble team.

We had 3 main issues under Payne... our PK was terrible, our PP was worse and we weren't taking advantage of the time in the games when we were the dominant team (which was a lot more often than our record under him would suggest). Our PK has certainly improved under Hitch, our PP is still terrible and we still aren't taking the full advantage of when we are the dominant team.

Fact is that we got away with it tonight; we should have been a lot more comfortable than we were after 2 periods, and in the end I think we all felt relieved just to get it to OT. Last night we didn't get away with it.

That is simply down to a complete lack of consistant goalscorers. Hopefully Berglund and Stewart find their way soon, and we can't forget about Perron returning in (fingers crossed) the next few weeks! Once we have that, we'll move to being a solid playoff team.

Anyway... Happy Thanksgiving guys. Hope you all have a great holiday.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Blues88

Wow.

That was awesome!

We should just all be best friends on this sub-forum, because this was a team builder.

Blues88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Elliott had another solid game. He didnt face much the first couple of periods, but he made the saves when he needed to. I feel that Halak needs to be our goalie, but I cant help but be impressed every time he is in net.

I really wouldnt be opposed to keeping Sterling and sending Grachev back to Peoria. Sterling could switch off with Porter, he is someone that could maybe help our power play too. I think Grachev really needs to find his scoring touch in the AHL, he has yet to show he can be a scorer in pro hockey.

Really like the way our defense shapes up when Carlo comes back. Cole has shown that he can play a capable NHL game, hopefully he sticks and Russell sits.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Blues0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Not close to that yet.

Our results under Hitch have been great, 12 points in 8 games is excellent. That shouldn't fool us though, because a lot needs to change for us to be a solid playoff team, as it stands we are a bubble team.

We had 3 main issues under Payne... our PK was terrible, our PP was worse and we weren't taking advantage of the time in the games when we were the dominant team (which was a lot more often than our record under him would suggest). Our PK has certainly improved under Hitch, our PP is still terrible and we still aren't taking the full advantage of when we are the dominant team.

Fact is that we got away with it tonight; we should have been a lot more comfortable than we were after 2 periods, and in the end I think we all felt relieved just to get it to OT. Last night we didn't get away with it.

That is simply down to a complete lack of consistant goalscorers. Hopefully Berglund and Stewart find their way soon, and we can't forget about Perron returning in (fingers crossed) the next few weeks! Once we have that, we'll move to being a solid playoff team.

Anyway... Happy Thanksgiving guys. Hope you all have a great holiday.
Agree. And we could use a playmaking forward on the PP as well.

I still think Hitch needs to breakup the Dags-Berglund-Stewart line. These guys have zero chemistry together. They can keep the puck in the opponent's zone for an entire shift and not come up with a single scoring chance. I wish he'd put Berglund back with Oshie. They've always played well together.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:09 PM
stlweir

So far under Hitch the Blues have shown they can play with any team in the league. How good will they be with Perron and AMac in the line up? I agree that Oshie and Berglund need to be paired together. Oshie has been "top notch". The goal tending has been solid. Cole again has shown that he is NHL ready. The Blues have the talent to have a top PP. When and if it comes together they are a top 1/3 of the league team. Maybe top 1/4. Very nice win tonight. Pitt is skilled and physical.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
The only negative I come away with from this game and it is the only thing that Hitchcock hasn't really turned around yet overall is the PP.

I think we went 0-5 or 0-6 again tonight. The PP is stopping this team right now from being an elite team. I don't think it's a coincidence that the second line of Stewart/Berglund/D'Agostini struggling has coincided with the PP being largely ineffective.

We don't know when Perron/McDonald are going to be back so the rest of these guys have to step up. As great as Elliott and Halak (as of late at least) have been, we can't continue to rely on them. PP has to start producing more.

That being said, excellent win tonight. I'd love to see our record on the second day of a back to back because I think this is at least the third win in such situations. That says a lot about the mental toughness of the team, which is going to be critical if we can make in the playoffs.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
Agree. And we could use a playmaking forward on the PP as well.

I still think Hitch needs to breakup the Dags-Berglund-Stewart line. These guys have zero chemistry together. They can keep the puck in the opponent's zone for an entire shift and not come up with a single scoring chance. I wish he'd put Berglund back with Oshie. They've always played well together.
I couldn't help but think this throughout most of the game. I don't think Dags is the problem, but to me something isn't working between Bergs and Stew. I still think Bergs is coming into his role as a power forward. IMO, he's never been the big, tough, physical forward everyone thinks he's supposed to be.

I'm not quite sure where Stew fits in with the lineup. He strikes me as more of a "team of one" kind of player. I think he needs a linemate capable of dealing with his improvisation and inconsistency.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Gullibull

I had to record the last two periods and watch 'em later. All I can say is WOW -- the Pens announcers are such homers I can't even stand it. For such a great team, their announcers are complete idiots and biased homers that it's just comical.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 11-24-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: let's keep politics out of this...
Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:07 AM
The Note
Overrated

Ill be honest, didn't hold out a lot of hope for this one, glad they proved me wrong. Great win

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample XIX View Post
Well give Pie close to 30 mins a game and take those minutes from Jackman is a good start
Well look like someone listened to this advice and guess what happened... yes yes, Pie time happened

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:39 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

what i do notice, even though that third period was hard to watch, is when the blues get going, they put the other team in a position to fail and the blues take advantage.

they really should be taking advantage more than they are but we also lack that elite scorer that most top teams have. the key is that we need to play our hockey under hitch, and when we do, we dominate.

we have outplayed a lot of good teams in the past few games but the LA and PITT games we not as great. they are better teams and we need to continue to dominate most of the game the way we have been in the games before those two

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:54 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artorein View Post
Yeah thought so, well good luck to you guys, i think you'll need it
Lol.

Pens fans probably thought they'd dominate us. Well we clearly outplayed them. 43 shots on MAF. **** yeah.

What a game. Great win. Sobotka is a very underrated passer! The dude's a flat out beast.

Go Blues baby.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Lol.

Pens fans probably thought they'd dominate us. Well we clearly outplayed them. 43 shots on MAF. **** yeah.

What a game. Great win. Sobotka is a very underrated passer! The dude's a flat out beast.

Go Blues baby.
Actually, not even close. Most Pens fans I know were looking forward to seeing a quality Western team and a little wary of a let down after Sidfest the game before. Also, we know this Pens team can be incredibly frustrating; when they are on their game, they can and will beat anyone--even if the opponent is on their game. Unfortunately, when good teams (especially well-coached teams) come in and take it to them, like last night, they often don't respond. If it weren't for MAF, it could have been 6-2.

Great young team you have there in St. Louis, good luck the rest of the way.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:20 AM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Actually, not even close. Most Pens fans I know were looking forward to seeing a quality Western team and a little wary of a let down after Sidfest the game before. Also, we know this Pens team can be incredibly frustrating; when they are on their game, they can and will beat anyone--even if the opponent is on their game. Unfortunately, when good teams (especially well-coached teams) come in and take it to them, like last night, they often don't respond. If it weren't for MAF, it could have been 6-2.

Great young team you have there in St. Louis, good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks. You too. And yes, I agree. The penguins and the capitals have the most talent in the eastern conference.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote