HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

omg lower back pain... you guys?

Old
11-24-2011, 02:29 AM
izzy3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
you seem to be confused what your friend was diagnosed with, what injury he actually had, and which treatment (if any) relieved his symptoms and/or problem.

you also seem confused about the complete posterior chain and kettlebells. perhaps you should consult a kb forum.
Can you talk about the topic and stop about me? Thanks. I didn't see any facts in your "argument", so I just stop here.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
For what it's worth: Do you stretch?

I've found that when I don't stretch, I have back pain for the next 24-48 hours.

Try doing the classic touch your toes stretch and a triangle stretch before games( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADA5EzIj_k the first stretch )
I think at any age stretching is important... but I tihnk when you're younger, typical groin/hipflexor is more important, but as you get older, like me... back, hammies etc... are incredibly important

FYI - i got a costco ironman inversion table w/ heat...
did a few 10 minute sessions and coming back up hurt like HELL...
slept on my side all night with a pillow between my legs and this morning
I feel at least 40% better!

I'll keep trying, stretching and seeing what happens
and by feeling better, this is with no meds and no rubs.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:51 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Can you talk about the topic and stop about me? Thanks. I didn't see any facts in your "argument", so I just stop here.
you gave an irrelevant anecdote about your teammate to someone with a different problem, and then gave some bad advice to follow the same thing your teammate did against doctor's orders. they you gave some bad reasoning that you have to "reteach your body".

that is bad advice, and you got called on it. it happens to all of us. don't sweat it.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Stickmata

BTW, just to throw a little fuel on the fire, back when I was going through my back problems, I did a lot of research, and I came across a number of articles on stretching that said there is absolutely no scientific evidence that stretching offers any benefit in terms of avoiding injuries, including muscle pulls. In fact, there have been research studies performed on this issues that concluded that there is no measurable benefit in that area to stretching. They concluded that, while it might make you feel loose and improve your flexibility, there is no evidence that it reduces your potential for muscle injury.

I almost never stretch before a skate or game, skate as hard as anyone on the ice and I rarely ever pull muscles. My buddies that stretch religiously before games are constantly pulling groins, etc. They laugh at me because I don't stretch but then they're the ones more likely to be limping around after the game.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:19 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
BTW, just to throw a little fuel on the fire, back when I was going through my back problems, I did a lot of research, and I came across a number of articles on stretching that said there is absolutely no scientific evidence that stretching offers any benefit in terms of avoiding injuries, including muscle pulls. In fact, there have been research studies performed on this issues that concluded that there is no measurable benefit in that area to stretching. They concluded that, while it might make you feel loose and improve your flexibility, there is no evidence that it reduces your potential for muscle injury.

I almost never stretch before a skate or game, skate as hard as anyone on the ice and I rarely ever pull muscles. My buddies that stretch religiously before games are constantly pulling groins, etc. They laugh at me because I don't stretch but then they're the ones more likely to be limping around after the game.
yes there are studies like that. but i am not sure if you read them right. you still need to do static stretches, but not before your athletic activities. dynamic stretches do a lot more for your in-game performance, that is they don't rob you of strength and power on exercises performed immediately after the stretch (the way static stretches do), but they do give you the benefits of flexibility, etc.

so day before your game or during morning skates, static stretches.
warm-up before the game, dynamic.
after the game, static stretches won't hurt.

Old
11-25-2011, 03:20 PM
izzy3

Quote:
you gave an irrelevant anecdote about your teammate to someone with a different problem, and then gave some bad advice to follow the same thing your teammate did against doctor's orders. they you gave some bad reasoning that you have to "reteach your body".

that is bad advice, and you got called on it. it happens to all of us. don't sweat it.
Your "arguments" are again just your own personal judgements. Like "bad advice" and "irrelevant", etc. I could say the same about your advice. I do not sweat it, and in fact I just offered an option to the OP. If he takes it and visits a KB course or discards it as rubbish is his decision, guess what both are OK with me. I just shared my 2c. Why are YOU so worked up that people do not agree with you? I stopped listening to doctors a long time ago, when they told my diabetic father to feast on CH just pump himself full with insulin.

You want to go the doctors' way? Fine by me, brother. I will not.

Old
11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
newfr4u

my advice in this thread was to read a book on low-back disorders and educate himself on his injury, "brother". your advice in this thread was to treat tailbone pain similarly how your buddy treated his shoulder. i have no problem discarding your two cents on the issue as worthless.

Old
11-26-2011, 09:12 AM
izzy3

Quote:
i have no problem discarding your two cents on the issue as worthless.
... and what makes you think I prize your opinion?

Old
11-26-2011, 11:30 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Why doesn't the OP go to his doctor and tell us what his advice is? Then we can see who knows what they are talking about.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Why doesn't the OP go to his doctor and tell us what his advice is? Then we can see who knows what they are talking about.
Dr. says: RICE and robax

Chiro says: Nerve pinch issue, made adjustment and see again in a week and rest
Says to keep streching (siatic style and hamstring stretch) and keep the lower back moving (i.e. don't stay sitting or lying down)

Also recommended inversion table

Being this is a chronic issue since football:
Use rub with capsicum
Use a vibration machine to loosen up the lower back and to stretch hamstrings, IT Bands, hip flexor's etc..

With the inversion table, the pain has significantly reduced

I don't like medicating, and would rather keep my back strechted and the muscles warm

I thought I was ready to go back, and played a game last night.

felt good during the game, but this morning, could barely get out of bed lol

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote