HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Okposo to Bruins

Old
11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

vCash: 500
Okposo to Bruins

What would it take to get Kyle Okposo to the Bruins? Despite his injuries and healthy scratches, I think he would look great on Boston's third line as a replacement for Pouliot. He still has some pretty solid upside so I don't want to throw out some crappy offer. Ideas? 1st and a prospect?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
His value is so low right now, it's not worth it but before the season I would have liked a deal around Horton and Okposo to add more size and grit in the top 6.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Wilhelm Scream

Probably have to start with Spooner and/or Knight, maybe Koko, and then add to it. Okposo is young and semi-proven.

Wilhelm Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:52 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Isles need defense, and despite how weak Okposo's begun this season, he's still a young, raw player on a nice contract who would likely excel in a locker room with the kind of vets the Bruins have. Despite what Dreger may think, Snow's after players until I see him acquire a pick and stop dealing all together. Also keep in mind, the value must be clear-cut even (i.e.; trade that both fanbases see the value in, but are iffy on doing) since it'd be a trade within the conference.

What D are on the table from your end?

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Spooner +.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Wilhelm Scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Isles need defense, and despite how weak Okposo's begun this season, he's still a young, raw player on a nice contract who would likely excel in a locker room with the kind of vets the Bruins have. Despite what Dreger may think, Snow's after players until I see him acquire a pick and stop dealing all together. Also keep in mind, the value must be clear-cut even (i.e.; trade that both fanbases see the value in, but are iffy on doing) since it'd be a trade within the conference.

Bruins don't have a lot of D outside of Hamilton, who wouldn't be dealt. None of our prospects are even close to being guarenteed a decent career in the NHL. Kampfer's best case scenerio is being Andy MacDonald. McQuaid won't get traded. Boychuck is a UFA.

Don't think it's a good matchup if you're looking for D.

Wilhelm Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Scream View Post
Bruins don't have a lot of D outside of Hamilton, who wouldn't be dealt. None of our prospects are even close to being guarenteed a decent career in the NHL. Kampfer's best case scenerio is being Andy MacDonald. McQuaid won't get traded. Boychuck is a UFA.

Don't think it's a good matchup if you're looking for D.
That could be the case; I wouldn't be opposed to taking back a forward, but the only kind of forward the Isles need at this point is someone a little more like Dustin Brown; a leader type that could be expendable due to other roster moves of legal drinking age for at least 5 years.

Other than that, the NYI need bodies that can help immediately.

Old
11-23-2011, 04:05 PM
plemur
Meh.

Okposo's situation and the Islanders intentions with him seem hard to figure out for me. He's young, has shown he can play in the NHL, and yada, yada, was given an A, got a long term deal, but now he's struggling and is the doghouse? It seems like too much of a confusing mess to figure out if the Isles want to wait it out, cut their potential losses, or what's going on.

The team needs a serious rebuild, especially defensively, but is he a piece they'd consider trading away for a couple young, moderate D prospects who may be NHL ready? That's all the B's could muster. Hamilton is the only high end D prospect in the B's system, but there are a handful or guys who might just turn out to be steady Dmen for some years. One of Kampfer, Bartowski, Cohen, or Button, with Caron or Sauve as a forward replacement? I don't see Okposo bringing a Knight or Spooner, but although Caron is rated higher, he won't get ice time right now--he seems NHL ready, if only he could get more TOI somewhere else. (Pouliot could be had for free in any deal right now as well, if Isles fans really want to yell at their TVs more)

Have their been any public admonishments from management? Anything that would signal they're ready to move on?

plemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

As much as I liked Okposo as a gopher (once played mario Kart with him when we were both freshman), It is fairly satisfying to see him struggle in NY. Garth Snow insulted the entire University of Minnesota's development program when he pulled Okposo out of the University, saying he wasn't developing here. Serves that arrogant ****er right to have this one blow up in his face.

But on the other hand, like i said... I like Okposo, even though he exited the way he did I don't really blame him. Once that NHL contract gets offered I don't blame a player for taking it, get the money now before a potential injury takes away your earning potential. I hope Okposo gets traded from the Isles and starts to tear up the league like he has the potential to do.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:00 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
As much as I liked Okposo as a gopher (once played mario Kart with him when we were both freshman), It is fairly satisfying to see him struggle in NY. Garth Snow insulted the entire University of Minnesota's development program when he pulled Okposo out of the University, saying he wasn't developing here. Serves that arrogant ****er right to have this one blow up in his face.
For argument sake UofM took a guy who is a winger and were playing him as a Center. As an Islanders fan that greatly annoyed me. I understand UofM has to look out for it's best interests but when a team can care less about building him to be a winger I think Snow had all the right in the world to step in and take care of matters himself.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:28 PM
nmbr_24

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bruins get Okposo for the right price, but that price is not something i think the Islanders would trade him for.

I wouldn't trade Spooner, Knight, or Koko for him, never mind two of them. It is possible that every single one of them turn out to be better than Okposo who hasn't really progressed as hoped.

He could also turn out to be better than them, but with the way he has played this year, it is a very risky chance to take.

I also wouldn't want to see them trade a 1st round pick for him, his play just doesn't warrant that at this time.

With all that said, I don't think the Islanders would trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick, so it's not a deal I would like to see. i would rather the Bruins wait until the deadline and see if they can pick up a consistant 20 goal guy who will be an UFA at the end of the season if at all possible.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Could McQuaid be a good starting point? He's young, tough, proven and signed to a good contract as well.

11-24-2011, 01:08 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Could McQuaid be a good starting point? He's young, tough, proven and signed to a good contract as well.
Bill,

i got to ask....why do you always offer up McQuaid in proposals?

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:19 AM
OConnellsProtege

Quote:
I would say the value is pretty close here (may have to add a late-pick to Boston's side, maybe). Personally, I wouldn't want to give up McQuaid. For one, his style of play fits this team perfectly and second, it would temporarily create a gap in order to fill one the team (allegedly) has at third line LW. At the moment, I'm pretty happy with 10 wins in a row and a move for Okposo seems redundant, but this would be worth a second look around the deadline if things get out of hand with injuries and/or performance issues with certain personnel (Pouliot).

OConnellsProtege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
Bill,

i got to ask....why do you always offer up McQuaid in proposals?
Because I think he's valuable.

And because I believe the B's are going to add a veteran top4 D for the playoff run, and when that happens, we'll have a spare. Boychuk was huge for the B's in the playoffs last year so I don't want to lose that for our playoff run. JB's the better player right now IMO, but is a UFA so I don't see a rebuilding team having any interest in that. Whereas McQuaid is young, tough, strong defensively, a lot of folks think he has a higher upside than JB, and he's signed long-term to a cheap contract.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:33 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Very good proposal. McQuaid wouldn't just be a good starting point; I'd just about be inclined to say there's only a little to be added to one side or another to balance it out before it makes a LOT of sense.

When a trade benefits both sides yet fans for both teams are iffy, it's probably close to an even deal. This look a lot like just that scenario.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:33 PM
bostonphoenix

Quote:

And because I believe the B's are going to add a veteran top4 D for the playoff run, and when that happens, we'll have a spare. Boychuk was huge for the B's in the playoffs last year so I don't want to lose that for our playoff run. JB's the better player right now IMO, but is a UFA so I don't see a rebuilding team having any interest in that. Whereas McQuaid is young, tough, strong defensively, a lot of folks think he has a higher upside than JB, and he's signed long-term to a cheap contract.
Honestly...

I see McQuaid having Chara upside. I don't want to see him go anywhere.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
For argument sake UofM took a guy who is a winger and were playing him as a Center. As an Islanders fan that greatly annoyed me. I understand UofM has to look out for it's best interests but when a team can care less about building him to be a winger I think Snow had all the right in the world to step in and take care of matters himself.
Playing center vs wing is not that detrimental to his development. You're on a team, you do what helps the team.

And yes Snow had every right to take Okposo out, but the way he insulted Lucia and the Gophers program was unnecessary and it showed his ignorance of college hockey. Look at the divergent paths the 2 men have taken. Snow has continued to set the Isles up for failure, and Lucia has a top 5 program in all of college hockey.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddacey View Post
Honestly...

What????

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:

What kind of D? Puck moving/offensive D?

If i'm the Habs i would also have interest in Okposo and i'm sure they could offer up one of Weber/Diaz + a forward.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:12 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Honestly...

Norris winner and future Hall of Famer?

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
What kind of D? Puck moving/offensive D?
Top-4, multipurpose.....eventually a 20 minute per game guy. I'd trend toward a defensive defenseman (a la McQuaid) considering that the Isles seem to have the greatest deficiency on the blueline.

I could dig on getting a top-4 puck mover, but the Isles have a bit of that coming along via Ness, Donovan, Wishart, and of course, deHaan. Who knows which ones will pan out best.

At this point, any improvements over Mottau, Staios and Eaton are things that NEED to be done.

Old
11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

That is an interesting proposal. It would worry me a little that the Bruins would be going with Kampfer right now, he just hasn't really played what I would call NHL calibre defense this year.

I really like McQuaid as a #6 d-man with some upside, but i definitely think that if the B's were to trade him they would have to go out and get another D as soon as they can.

I also think it would take more than McQuaid to get Okposo, I'm not sure what, but I think the Islanders would want more.

Old
11-24-2011, 03:39 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Honestly...

I am a big fan of McQuaid, but there will be a pretty decent sized difference between Chara's best and McQuaid's best in my opinion.