HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2011, 10:57 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
defensive breakdowns on the first 2 goals left him out of position side to side you have to be prepared to cheat tho and he never looks like he can get back. its like you'll get the first save but you guys better clear it out if there's a rebound. similar to the other night. tick tack goal mouth passes suck and should be broken up by bryz. the 3rd goal was exactly what he's been askin for. let me see the shot. im pretty sure he saw it.....go right over his blocker. bob does move around more in the next and looks more energetic and alert. so how do you ignore that and not reward him ?

Old
11-24-2011, 11:20 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I have a bad feeling that this contract is going to be the worst yet. The guy is a total flake to start with and is like a deer in the headlights in net. The weight of a big contract can be very heavy on a person who doesn't have the right personality for it and when you add in the fact that he plays in front of a full house every night and that many of those fans will boo almost anything, the weight is heavier. Then you add in the Philly media and I don't know how this guy is going to handle the pressure further on down the line.

If the media turns on him like they did on Richards, watch out. It will get ugly.
For Bryzgalov, the 'I' in LTIR may turn out to be 'insanity'.

Old
11-24-2011, 11:22 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I have a bad feeling that....
Shocking.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
achdumeingute

If you are expecting Bryz to be good moving laterally then you are going to be disappointed. He's not an athlete, he's not quick post to post.

What he is good at is positioning and being large in goal. He's REALLY good at making the first save and clearing the rebounds out to a good spot. He doesn't give alot to shoot at and usually doesn't give up the cheap stuff. If the D insn't clearing rebounds you can't really fault the goalie.

Bob is small in net and overplays all the time. Against NYI he was really compact with his movement. If he keeps that up thats good for him. He hasn't show that consistently in his young career. Nor has he shown very good rebound control. He's a great athlete though.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If you are expecting Bryz to be good moving laterally then you are going to be disappointed. He's not an athlete, he's not quick post to post.

What he is good at is positioning and being large in goal. He's REALLY good at making the first save and clearing the rebounds out to a good spot. He doesn't give alot to shoot at and usually doesn't give up the cheap stuff. If the D insn't clearing rebounds you can't really fault the goalie.

Bob is small in net and overplays all the time. Against NYI he was really compact with his movement. If he keeps that up thats good for him. He hasn't show that consistently in his young career. Nor has he shown very good rebound control. He's a great athlete though.
That's one thing our team has gotten away from.

When we were the best team in the NHL in 2010 (end of 2009-10 + start of 2010-11), our defense was in perfect positioning to get rid of every single rebound in front of Leighton/Boucher/Bobrovsky.

Seriously, what most impressed me about our defense was not our big names or our talent, it's that every single rebound or puck in the danger zone was IMMEDIATELY made to vanish.

We've gotten away from that. We've gotten lazy. Chalk a chunk of it up to losing Richards and Carter, but we need to get back to the mentality that turned Leighton into a Eastern Conference Champion Goaltender.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Till now nothing is better than before. The goalie problem isnīt solved.

Last seasons:

Boucher, Leighton let in soft goals from time to time..... They canīt play the #1 GK Position for a franchise especially in the playoffs

Bobrovsky isnīt a playoff performer and has problems later in the season.... maybe he can fix that in the future if we will give him a chance and time to develop.

This Season:

Bobrovsky isnīt a good backup goalie. He needs more game to come into his rythm. Till now he let in soft goals more than ever before, is out of position way too often. Seems to lack self esteem after the aquisition of Bryzgalov

Bryzgalov: let in soft goals, donīt steals games. Lacks also self esteem after getting fewer starts than in the last years in his career. Has already a problem with the media.

I donīt want to be to harsh on the two, because it seems to me that the all around defensive game is too bad. And it seems to me also, that neither of the two goalies can live with the role Lavi had given them.

So imo Lavi need to start one of them as the regular #1 to give one of them rythm and self esteem!

your thoughts?

Old
11-24-2011, 09:59 PM
bryzgalovsky*

This contract will probably make Ryan Howard/Michael Vick contracts look like steals.

Trade him for anything at this point, I don't care.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:06 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 50
Bryz makes save: "YEAH BREEZY YEAH!!! WHY U HEFF TO BE MAD?!?!?! BREEZGALOV!!! GOALIES!!!11!!!!! IS GONE BE SOOOO MUCH FUN WATCHUN 24/7!!!"

Bryz lets in goal: "Trade this bum, trade Homer too. Trade them both. If Wade Redden and Scott Gomez's contracts had offspring I'd rather sign Shelley to that contract than Bryz to an 1 year 500k deal! I want Cannon Richie back! Mike Richards! RICHIE CANNON!!! RICHARDZ!!!! CANNUN!!!!!!"

Old
11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Bryz makes save: "YEAH BREEZY YEAH!!! WHY U HEFF TO BE MAD?!?!?! BREEZGALOV!!! GOALIES!!!11!!!!! IS GONE BE SOOOO MUCH FUN WATCHUN 24/7!!!"

Bryz lets in goal: "Trade this bum, trade Homer too. Trade them both. If Wade Redden and Scott Gomez's contracts had offspring I'd rather sign Shelley to that contract than Bryz to an 1 year 500k deal! I want Cannon Richie back! Mike Richards! RICHIE CANNON!!! RICHARDZ!!!! CANNUN!!!!!!"
No, not really. The people who are critical of his contract have mostly been so since day 1. Even if he has several great games...his contract is still total crap.

11-24-2011, 10:16 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No, not really. The people who are critical of his contract have mostly been so since day 1. Even if he has several great games...his contract is still total crap.
Well of course his contract is crap, but do people really think that a terrible contract out weighs the play of a goalie that we have not had in a decade? I feel like there is no winning on these boards. If a #1 goalie was not pursued this offseason it would have been awful and Homer is an idiot. We get a #1 goalie, but I have seen people say that Bob is going to be great soon (I somewhat agree, good goalie, not solid in 3+ years) and that the goalie's contract is awful. Then people also eat Pronger up. His contract is MUCH worse than Bryzgalov's.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:27 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Bobrovsky is also terrible.

And Bryzgalov has not been playing like the #1 goalie he's getting paid to be.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Well of course his contract is crap, but do people really think that a terrible contract out weighs the play of a goalie that we have not had in a decade? I feel like there is no winning on these boards. If a #1 goalie was not pursued this offseason it would have been awful and Homer is an idiot. We get a #1 goalie, but I have seen people say that Bob is going to be great soon (I somewhat agree, good goalie, not solid in 3+ years) and that the goalie's contract is awful. Then people also eat Pronger up. His contract is MUCH worse than Bryzgalov's.
Bryz's play so far hasn't surpassed anything we've had in the last decade, not so far.

Also, I'd happily take Pronger's 35+ contract over Bryz's any day of the week. Bryz's contract could easily turn out to be the worst one that Homer has handed out by a wide margin. The only way that Pronger won't continue being effective is if he's badly injured. If he's that injured, he can always be LTIRed. Bryz...not so much.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:57 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz's play so far hasn't surpassed anything we've had in the last decade, not so far.

Also, I'd happily take Pronger's 35+ contract over Bryz's any day of the week. Bryz's contract could easily turn out to be the worst one that Homer has handed out by a wide margin. The only way that Pronger won't continue being effective is if he's badly injured. If he's that injured, he can always be LTIRed. Bryz...not so much.
You're right, he has not surpassed anything we've had. That doesnt mean he wont, tough. We brought Michael *** Leighton to the Final. As bad as his contract may be, Bryz is a very good goalie. Along with that of course comes his cons (Age, Contract, Consistency), by I'll take what we have as a #1 anyday over anything I have seen plague our net in the past 10 years.

But Bryz can alwayz retire, and it is over. Id bet my bottom dollar neither of them play out to the end of their current contracts so that is why I could be considered "Anti-Pronger"

Old
11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I find it extremely doubtful he'll retire. How many athletes retire and leave money on the table? Hell, how many athletes willingly retire? Most keep trying to play until it's clear nobody is going to pay them or their bodies can't keep up, at which point they retire.

Edit: Also...that team that brought Leighton to the Finals no longer exists. The loss of Gagne, Richards, Betts, Carter, and Lappy has significantly weakened the team's ability to babysit a goalie.

I do expect Bryz to perform better than he has, though. I'd be surprised if the underwhelming play we've seen so far is what we'll see for the entirety of his tenure.

Old
11-25-2011, 04:08 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Should the contract be pinned on Homer or Snider?

Old
11-25-2011, 04:20 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Likely both, for different reasons...but does it really matter? Only one can really be fired, and the goalie is here now anyway.

Old
11-25-2011, 06:27 AM
G Money

Through 20 games i think Bryz gets a pass our D has been terrible like real bad all we do is give it away in our own zone

Old
11-25-2011, 09:37 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
Till now nothing is better than before. The goalie problem isnīt solved.

Last seasons:

Boucher, Leighton let in soft goals from time to time..... They canīt play the #1 GK Position for a franchise especially in the playoffs

Bobrovsky isnīt a playoff performer and has problems later in the season.... maybe he can fix that in the future if we will give him a chance and time to develop.

This Season:

Bobrovsky isnīt a good backup goalie. He needs more game to come into his rythm. Till now he let in soft goals more than ever before, is out of position way too often. Seems to lack self esteem after the aquisition of Bryzgalov

Bryzgalov: let in soft goals, donīt steals games. Lacks also self esteem after getting fewer starts than in the last years in his career. Has already a problem with the media.

I donīt want to be to harsh on the two, because it seems to me that the all around defensive game is too bad. And it seems to me also, that neither of the two goalies can live with the role Lavi had given them.

So imo Lavi need to start one of them as the regular #1 to give one of them rythm and self esteem!

your thoughts?
Personally, I don't think we have a goalie problem.

The real problem is lack of commitment to playing team defense. Too many turnovers, too many fancy plays, everyone trying to create instead of clearing the puck....and Chris Pronger not on the team most of the nights or looking rusty and slow every other night.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:42 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Homer will take the fall but this is Snider's doing. He blew the negotiations from day 1 and it went downhill from there. Bryz hasn't shown any mental resolve since coming here.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:10 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

also, too many penalties doesn't help

Old
11-25-2011, 10:12 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I don't think we have a goalie problem. We have a team defense problem. JMO

Old
11-25-2011, 10:42 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I don't think we have a goalie problem. We have a team defense problem. JMO
Absolutely.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:22 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

I've seen better threads than this closed. This whole thread is retarded. There's no arguing we overpaid to shut the goalie complaints up. were 2 months into the first season with this guy. Were also 2nd in the league behind ottawa in man games played by rookies. we've started 10 rookies this season. He can and will play better but this whole TEAM has a ways to go. There was a lot of guys on here before the season who said (correctly) that these guys would be streaky at best this year. Both goalies have been hit or miss. that is more the team than anything.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:26 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I've seen better threads than this closed. This whole thread is retarded. There's no arguing we overpaid to shut the goalie complaints up. were 2 months into the first season with this guy. Were also 2nd in the league behind ottawa in man games played by rookies. we've started 10 rookies this season. He can and will play better but this whole TEAM has a ways to go. There was a lot of guys on here before the season who said (correctly) that these guys would be streaky at best this year. Both goalies have been hit or miss. that is more the team than anything.
There's no reason to close down a valid thread just because you see the goaltending as being fine. Nobody's fighting here, the discussion is rational.

Old
11-25-2011, 02:25 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
There's no reason to close down a valid thread just because you see the goaltending as being fine. Nobody's fighting here, the discussion is rational.
I've thought that about alot of threads that were shut down anyway. Unless someone sent this thread from the future, it looks like its about 3 years premature. mswoof

Closed Thread