HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aren't we still a little weak down the middle?

Old
11-23-2011, 10:40 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Aren't we still a little weak down the middle?

Richards rocks.

Stepan is alright. I feel like we need more production on the second line though. I'm not sure if Stepan is the immediate answer or not, but either way we need more here. He scored a goal tonight on an uncharacteristically good shot, so I applaud him for that and hope that he keeps this up. Keep in mind he's being asked to mature quite fast considering he's in his sophmore season and we're in "win now" mode.

Anisimov is average. Third liner at best. (Is he even a center anymore?)

Boyle hasn't been as good as last year but as long as he's centering the fourth line he's alright.

EC is the center Torts throws in when he gets bored with everyone else.

So overall our centers, aside from Richards, are somewhere between "meh" and possibly sufficient IMHO. I'd trade any of these guys except Richards and Stepan in a package for an upgrade personally. What are your thoughts on our centers?

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
nah I think they are fine down the pipe. Question is who is playing C at the given time. They have used AA and Dubi on LW most of the yr but both can play C

Perfect world to me is acquiring a top LW, using BR, Steps, AA, Boyle down the pipe

in the meantime whether we like it or not Wolski may get another shot when healthy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:52 PM
OverTheCap

I'm not overly concerned about our centers but the fact that Boyle, Anisimov, and Stepan still struggle on faceoffs really isn't helping matters right now.

Stepan is centering the first line and he has a faceoff percentage of 44%. He needs to do much better than that, especially on the PP when this team has such a hard time maintaining possession and generating offense.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Stepanformayor*

I don't know how anyone can say Brad Richards rocks? The top end guys in the NHL have 27-28 points. Brad has less than half that. If you want the truth the only play making center we have is a 21 year old. Brad Richards at this point has not lived up to his end of the deal. He has been less than average in my mind.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:33 PM
bluecollarblueshirt*

considering two of the line (ATM) have 2 centers on them. (although torts swares dubi is a lw) i think they're alright they definitely need to get better at the draws in the offensive zone

bluecollarblueshirt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
I don't know how anyone can say Brad Richards rocks? The top end guys in the NHL have 27-28 points. Brad has less than half that. If you want the truth the only play making center we have is a 21 year old. Brad Richards at this point has not lived up to his end of the deal. He has been less than average in my mind.
You're absolutely right. We paid big bucks for Brad Richards because he's suppose to be an elite setup guy but you know what, there is no one on this team for him to set up(besides Gaborik).

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Machinehead
Girardi's Corgi

vCash: 50
The problem here is our mentally handicapped coach has taken our one sure thing at the position and put him with 4th liners.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
If the guys he's passing to had been able to finish, that's about where his numbers would be. A Play maker suffers from his line mates struggling more than the other way around. On top of that, his goals have been absolutely clutch.

Don't get lost in the stats. This man has elite vision on the ice.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
No we are weak at LW which makes us weak at C. Dubinsky a nice looking young center had to be moved to LW to have some kind of scoring threat there. Stepan who looked great as a #2C coming in finds himself filling the void this season. Boyle, Anisimov, almost every center we have has been tried at that position.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:55 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Vehemently disagree. Sure, he hasn't been out of this world good(aka off to a fast start like the players you mention), but he has been extremely exceptional and scored quite a few clutch goals for the team.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
No we are weak at LW which makes us weak at C. Dubinsky a nice looking young center had to be moved to LW to have some kind of scoring threat there. Stepan who looked great as a #2C coming in finds himself filling the void this season. Boyle, Anisimov, almost every center we have has been tried at that position.
This.

Richards
Stepan
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Boyle

That's quality depth down the middle. The fact that not one but two of Stepan/Anisimov/Dubinsky are being asked to play wing is a function of our poor situation on the left side.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:56 AM
pld459666

When no one skates to get open and they all stand around with thumbs up their *****, Brad Richards is not going to find anyone open.

Players need to be constantly movng their feet and last night, after all the BS talk about moving on the PP, all i saw was more standing around.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Blazephr

what I really wanna do is check back on how all NYR goals have been scored this season. I wanna know if this grinding down below the hash-marks is producing any offense at all. It seems like the majority of their goals are coming off the rush or gaining the offensive zone with numbers.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:59 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This.

Richards
Stepan
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Boyle

That's quality depth down the middle. The fact that not one but two of Stepan/Anisimov/Dubinsky are being asked to play wing is a function of our poor situation on the left side.
Agree on Double A.

Disagree on Dubinsky, he does not have the vision to play center. LW is his best position.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:41 AM
alkurtz

One thing that has pretty obvious the last two games is that we are going to struggle against speed teams. This has become a league where speed dominates and unless we somehow can upgrade our speed game, we will not be able to move into the top echelon of teams.

Face it: neither Richards, Stepan, or Boyle (I'm leaving EC out because he's, well EC) are speed demons (to say the least). With BR and DS their skills are elsewhere. Anismov, though he isn't a speed demon either, is a better north south skater than any other centers we have: he is a nimble skater, has great balance on his skates, and is strong on his skates. He needs to go back to center.

There is no short term fix for our lack of speed, but here is what I would do.

Gabby and Richards go back together. This was the plan from the getgo, and it wasn't given enough time to work before Torts started his shuffling. Not sure who I would put on the other wing, perhaps WW when he returns. Right now the other wing slot is interchangeable.

AA goes back together with Cally and Dubi. No reason why they can't recapture last year's energy and success.

Boyle goes to the 4th line. Really, if this guy wasn't 6'7" would he even be in the league? Guys with his skill set (including PK) are a dime a dozen. Last year he enjoyed early abnormal situational success and scored. This year it is a revision to the norm for him. 4th line is where he belongs.

Stepan becomes the 3rd line center. Can't put him between Prust and Feds, that would be wasting his skills. We need to get some scoring from the 3rd line. I'd bring up Hagelin: the only player on the Whale who could immediately upgrade our team speed. I hate to say it, because I am not a fan in the least, I'd also bring up MZA for the other wing. Speed and skating are issues for him (along with size) but I think once and for all he needs an extended chance to prove, one way or another, whether he is an NHL player (I'm not optimistic).

Makes you realize what an important piece Kreider is to our puzzle. We desperately need his world class speed.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:44 AM
msv957

Quote:
Richards is proven top producer in the NHL. He was signed to play first line center on a line with Gaborik. Not with Prust, Feds, Cally, Dubi and etc

With all due respect to Stepan, a majority of his points are due to him playing on a line with Gaborik

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This.

Richards
Stepan
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Boyle

Just need to point out that both Dubi and Ani look better on the wing than they do down the middle.

I really like Ani at wing, think that's where his future is. Might be in minority here thought.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:27 PM
MSG the place to be*

Forwards are Forwards. You dress 12 each game. Where you put them on a piece of paper is just killing trees.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Machinehead
Girardi's Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Forwards are Forwards. You dress 12 each game. Where you put them on a piece of paper is just killing trees.
Totally disagree. By that logic we should just put Richards with Deveaux who's never scored a goal and see how many assists he gets.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:56 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Totally disagree. By that logic we should just put Richards with Deveaux who's never scored a goal and see how many assists he gets.
You give more ice time to your better players. Easiest way to do that is to group your good players together.

#whocaresaboutassists???

Old
11-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Machinehead
Girardi's Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
You give more ice time to your better players. I thought that was self explanatory.

#whocaresaboutassists???
I care about assists. What happens every time someone gets an assist? It means someone else scored. Goals are good for you.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The team is not weak down the middle. It's weak on the wings, which in turn causes them to try centers as wingers, which in turn makes them look weaker down the middle than they really are.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:07 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I care about assists. What happens every time someone gets an assist? It means someone else scored. Goals are good for you.
And what happens the other 99% of the time where someone makes a good play and a goal isn't scored?

Old
11-25-2011, 03:40 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'd say we're above average down the middle, if anything. Not to mention we have a few guys on the wing with experience at center.

I really like Richards, Stepan, Anisimov and Boyle as my four centers. Especially in a year or two.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote