HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

St Louis may really have the blues...

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
ultra63

vCash: 500
St Louis may really have the blues...

"Blues smart to hire Hitchcock.............

Prospective buyer Matthew Hulsizer is in bed with former Tampa Bay Lightning owner Oren Koules, which leads to speculation that former Lightning GM Brian Lawton has his eyes on the front office."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

be afraid, be very afraid....

Old
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

As long as they never return to Tampa Bay, I'm fine with what ever franchise they want to move onto. I will feel bad though for whatever place they step on. I also wonder if Bettman would approve of Koules making a return as an NHL owner after he had to step in last time.

Old
11-07-2011, 10:45 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Lawton DOES know how to get from 30th to 3rd in 2.5 years

Old
11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Rschmitz

I'm not against Koules getting another chance to own or Lawton getting another chance to GM. I've always believed it was LB who was the problem child in the bunch; having said that I'm glad we have Vinik and I'm glad we aren't the ones who are going to test my assumption.

Old
11-25-2011, 08:38 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Was thinking of ways to improve our team (while still being somewhat beneficial for the other team), and came up with this trade with St.Louis.

To St.Louis: Purcell, Downie, Clark, TB 2nd round pick '12
To Tampa Bay: Stewart and Jackman

Projected Line-up:

St.Louis-Stamkos-Stewart
Malone-Lecavalier-Connolly
Tyrell-Moore-Shannon/Ashton
Pyatt-Thompson-Hall

Hedman-Brewer
Jackman-Gilroy
Ohlund-Bergeron
Kubina

Roloson
Garon

Old
11-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Was thinking of ways to improve our team (while still being somewhat beneficial for the other team), and came up with this trade with St.Louis.

Projected Line-up:

St.Louis-Stamkos-Stewart
Pyatt-Thompson-Hall

Hedman-Brewer
Jackman-Gilroy
Ohlund-Bergeron
Kubina

Roloson
Garon
Massive, MASSIVE overpayment by TB.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:25 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Massive, MASSIVE overpayment by TB.
I was thinking the same thing, the 2nd round pick could be taken out. Thanks for the input.

My logic is:

Clark + 1/4 Downie = Jackman (blocks shots, good defensively and can play on the 2nd pairing with Gilroy...also faster than Clark)

Purcell + 3/4 Downie = Stewart (more consistent than either Purcell or Downie, brings similar grit as Downie but has more size...has loads of skill and would complement Stamkos and MSL well)

Would the trade without the 2nd rounder work better? Both Stewart and Downie are RFA's, and this would give us the chance to eventually call up Ashton.

Old
11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I Am Beat You

Not sure what the rush is with Downie is all of the sudden. Sure he's not having a great year, but he's young and has a bright future in this league. I also don't want to lose his intangibles, and I don't see how that proposal helps us. Any moves we make will likely have an impact past this season, because I don't think we're in a position to contend for the cup this year even if we do pursue a player or two.

Old
11-25-2011, 02:46 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Not sure what the rush is with Downie is all of the sudden. Sure he's not having a great year, but he's young and has a bright future in this league. I also don't want to lose his intangibles, and I don't see how that proposal helps us. Any moves we make will likely have an impact past this season, because I don't think we're in a position to contend for the cup this year even if we do pursue a player or two.
It's not a rush to move Downie imo, he's had one bad year and this one is looking that it'll be worse than last year. A change of scenery might serve him well, and a move for Chris Stewart isn't one that compromises our future; he's the same age as Downie but a much better player. I'd rank him around 8-10 in power forwards in the league and he also brings grit. The difference between him and Downie is that he can play a top 6 role and not look out of place with Marty and Stammer. That added size, scoring and grit to our top 6 is more valuable than what Downie currently provides on the 3rd line (limited ice time).

Purcell seems to be everybody's (and Boucher's) punching bag and could also benefit from a change of scenery, while Clark is simply a throw in. Jackman would be assessed similar to Brewer and if he can learn the system, could be re-signed past this season.

Old
11-25-2011, 04:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

You don't sell low.

Besides, if you're going to go after anyone from St. Louis you go after Cole or Shattenkirk.

Old
11-25-2011, 05:40 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
It's not a rush to move Downie imo, he's had one bad year and this one is looking that it'll be worse than last year. A change of scenery might serve him well, and a move for Chris Stewart isn't one that compromises our future; he's the same age as Downie but a much better player. I'd rank him around 8-10 in power forwards in the league and he also brings grit. The difference between him and Downie is that he can play a top 6 role and not look out of place with Marty and Stammer. That added size, scoring and grit to our top 6 is more valuable than what Downie currently provides on the 3rd line (limited ice time).

Purcell seems to be everybody's (and Boucher's) punching bag and could also benefit from a change of scenery, while Clark is simply a throw in. Jackman would be assessed similar to Brewer and if he can learn the system, could be re-signed past this season.
I am a huge fan of Chris Stewart, but I don't agree with Downie needing a change of scenery. We've seen what he can do at this level, he's just gotten off to a slow start. I also don't think he deserves to be on the 3rd and 4th lines all the time, especially now that we're struggling big time. I think everyone can agree that our best line, when it was together, was St. Louis-Stamkos-Downie last year. I'd like to see Boucher go back to that at least temporarily to try and spark Downie's offensive game.

I agree that Chris Stewart is a very good power forward, but if we dealt for him I wouldn't want to lose Steve Downie in the process. I'd actually be more inclined to deal Malone++ for him if the Blues would take the salary (hypothetically speaking of course, I doubt Malone wants to go anywhere).

Last edited by I Am Beat You: 11-26-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old
11-26-2011, 10:50 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I am a huge fan of Christ Stewart, but I don't agree with Downie needing a change of scenery. We've seen what he can do at this level, he's just gotten off to a slow start. I also don't think he deserves to be on the 3rd and 4th lines all the time, especially now that we're struggling big time. I think everyone can agree that our best line, when it was together, was St. Louis-Stamkos-Downie last year. I'd like to see Boucher go back to that at least temporarily to try and spark Downie's offensive game.

I agree that Chris Stewart is a very good power forward, but if we dealt for him I wouldn't want to lose Steve Downie in the process. I'd actually be more inclined to deal Malone++ for him if the Blues would take the salary (hypothetically speaking of course, I doubt Malone wants to go anywhere).
That's a fair assessment of the trade, the only issue when thinking up trades is also considering a fair package for the other team. I don't actually see this trade happening ever, as St.Louis is playing well and they just acquired Stewart near the deadline last year. It was really just to spark discussion to see if you all thought Stewart and Jackman were the type of players we needed to improve our roster.

Downie's still got potential to be back in a top 6 role, but he's just looked lost when playing with Marty and Stammer this year. He works hard, wins battles and is fearless but he's missing easy scoring chances and is more than a step behind those 2. I'd like to see him improve his game as much as anyone because added toughness to our top 6 is a definite need.

Old
11-26-2011, 10:53 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
You don't sell low.

Besides, if you're going to go after anyone from St. Louis you go after Cole or Shattenkirk.
Unless we're planning on giving up high picks or better players/prospects, I don't see any reason why St.Louis would trade two 22 year old, budding defensemen. There's a much better chance they'd give up Jackman before them.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Rschmitz

The Lightning actually add 2 million dollars with this deal on top of losing depth.

Old
11-26-2011, 04:27 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Unless we're planning on giving up high picks or better players/prospects, I don't see any reason why St.Louis would trade two 22 year old, budding defensemen. There's a much better chance they'd give up Jackman before them.
I'm aware, Jackman just doesn't interest me. Thats why I say we're a no-go with them.

Old
11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Herb25*

Quote:

Projected Line-up:

St.Louis-Stamkos-Stewart
Pyatt-Thompson-Hall

Hedman-Brewer
Jackman-Gilroy
Ohlund-Bergeron
Kubina

Roloson
Garon
Doug Armstrong laughs and hangs up phone.

Brian Lawton says "we'll even throw in a 1st and Shattenkirk if you give us Kubina."

Closed Thread