HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blair Jones waived | Dana Tyrell to be called up

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2011, 11:14 PM
TBLHoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Jones cleared waivers. Interesting timing for a waive though, now that I think about it. I imagine most NHL front offices are sort of 'off' today.

Nashville has put Niclas Bergfors on $125 waivers, and the Isles waived Blake Comeau today. Moar Islanders? He's gotten absolutely nothing with NY this season, after going 24+22 last year, so...30 goals with us?
Being that it's the Islanders and that he has been productive on a lousy team, he's also been a career minus player - even in the AHL. At what cost would be the big question mark....

Old
11-25-2011, 01:48 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
DNA Line ??

Dana - Nate - ?????

I'm a big Tyrell fan and didn't understand him being sent to the AHL.

Maybe it'll kick start some offense for him.
He was the only bubble player that doesn't have to clear waivers in case he's sent down. Pyatt, Ritola and Jones had to. So they send Tyrell down.

Old
11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
He was the only bubble player that doesn't have to clear waivers in case he's sent down. Pyatt, Ritola and Jones had to. So they send Tyrell down.
Ritola may have also let his stance on being sent down be known earlier. Which may have played a factor, but yes, it seems Tyrell got the cut because he was waiver exempt.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:46 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
The innocent bystander is Tyrell, 22, who last season played 78 games for Tampa Bay, came to camp in the best shape of his career and whom general manager Steve Yzerman agreed did nothing to lose his spot. He simply did not need waivers to be sent to the minors.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...tyrell/1195165

Old
11-25-2011, 10:01 AM
CaptBrannigan

I don't get the Tyrell love. How is he any more than a dime a dozen bottom line winger? We have enough of those.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
I don't get the Tyrell love. How is he any more than a dime a dozen bottom line winger? We have enough of those.
Cognitive dissonance.

The guys I mentioned, Bergfors cleared waivers, and Comeau was claimed by the Flames.

I'll admit, I'm a bit confused on that one.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 11-25-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old
11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter
Quote:
Tyrell, one of the last cuts in camp, admitted he was disappointed and a little caught off guard, but took the situation in stride and played well with AHL Norfolk. Boucher praised Tyrell for how he handled everything, said he'd bring some energy, speed to the lineup, pointing out that, pound for pound physically, he may be the strongest player they have.
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/lightning...ing-ar-327348/
Quote:
"Tyrell is here to play, we didn't bring him up to sit," Boucher said. "He played great in the American League, he did what he's been doing since he's been with this organization and that's the drive with incredible speed, he pays the price, he's reliable defensively. And that line last year was tremendous for us with Tyrell, Thompson and Hall. And right now we feel that if we can get something that worked really well for us, it just adds on to something that can give us some consistency."
On Blair Jones:
Quote:
"The way it works in the NHL is you get a little ice time and if you do something you get a little more," Boucher said. "What happened was, I think he got a little nervous and that prevented him from skating the way he can, from making the plays the way he can and he became nervous defensively, too, which caused him to lose his game.

"So being in the stands, losing his game, losing confidence, we feel it's better off for him getting some ice time in the American League, become a jack-of-all-trades down there and getting his confidence back."

Old
11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/lightning...ing-ar-327348/
On Blair Jones:
Quote:
"The way it works in the NHL is you get a little ice time and if you do something you get a little more," Boucher said. "What happened was, I think he got a little nervous and that prevented him from skating the way he can, from making the plays the way he can and he became nervous defensively, too, which caused him to lose his game.

"So being in the stands, losing his game, losing confidence, we feel it's better off for him getting some ice time in the American League, become a jack-of-all-trades down there and getting his confidence back."
You're the best Blair Jones in the world.

Old
11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Bolts265

Quote:
"Tyrell is here to play, we didn't bring him up to sit," Boucher said. "He played great in the American League, he did what he's been doing since he's been with this organization and that's the drive with incredible speed, he pays the price, he's reliable defensively. And that line last year was tremendous for us with Tyrell, Thompson and Hall. And right now we feel that if we can get something that worked really well for us, it just adds on to something that can give us some consistency."

So if it worked so well last year my question is why the Blair Jones experiment????
I always thought if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Old
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
Quote:

So if it worked so well last year my question is why the Blair Jones experiment????
I always thought if it ain't broken don't fix it.
Because he was very good for us in the playoffs. They couldn't decide between Jones, Ritola, Pyatt and Tyrell so Tyrell was the temporary odd man out given that he's the only one still on a ELC.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Bolts265

I understand that he played well in the playoffs but Dana played well ALL year and had mojo with the DNA line.
Blair had numerous callups over the last several years and never really showed much. Then one good showing finally and he should imo never have been chosen over Dana. I just feel that Dana really proved himself and if anyone had to go a decision to keep Ritola because he had to go through waivers and Tyrell did not was one of the few mistakes the new management team has made so far. Rest assured no one would have taken Ritola. just mho. I admit it, I guess I'm just not a fan of Blair Jones.

Old
11-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 134
Blair Jones played great in the playoffs last year, and provided good energy, but this year he was absolutely invisible. I never liked Ritola, and Pyatt has been great this year, and Tyrell came in and showed why he belonged on the big boy club.

Closed Thread