HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2011, 05:20 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
so far. were you thinking about blake comeau?

Last edited by txpd: 11-24-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old
11-24-2011, 05:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Explain to me why Phoenix would make any of the suggested trades.

Semin for Turris-Trade a young top 3 pick for a rental who has what, four goals this year?

Morris and Turris for Neuvy, Schultz, Perrault. Spare parts do not get you a potential young star and a solid NHL d-man.

When you factor in Semin's play, attitude, contract and likely desire to end up in Russia, his trade value has to be among the lowest in the league.
Anyone paying big assets to get Semin will only do so if they feel confident he'll sign an extension.

I love the constant poopooing of Semin trade idea because he's an UFA.....as if posters can't comprehend the possibility of an extension.

Old
11-24-2011, 07:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Semin for another pending UFA would negate the need from the other team for him to sign an extension.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
If we can get the equivalent of what we got for Carpenter, do it NOW.
Exactly....Rids and Miller were two mainstays for a long long time...

Old
11-24-2011, 08:36 PM
hfboardsuser

I'm going to sound like one of "those" people for suggesting it, but Alex Ovechkin. Would Taylor Hall + 2012 1st (unprotected) + one of Edmonton's 2013 1st, Magnus Paajarvi or Ales Hemsky be enough?

Old
11-24-2011, 08:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Ovechkin will only get traded if he demands it....even then, it would be a killer for the franchise.

He's as untouchable as you can get.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Ovechkin will only get traded if he demands it....even then, it would be a killer for the franchise.

He's as untouchable as you can get.
I agree. Ted would lose half his verizon seats if they dealt Ovechkin. We would be there, but the folks that joined the Ovechkin era bandwagon wouldn't. I still believe Ovechkin will regain his lethal goal scoring at some point. Other than that he is still hitting people. I'm taking a hunch with Orlov up it might send him in beast mode.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'm going to sound like one of "those" people for suggesting it, but Alex Ovechkin. Would Taylor Hall + 2012 1st (unprotected) + one of Edmonton's 2013 1st, Magnus Paajarvi or Ales Hemsky be enough?
Not close. It starts with RNH + Eberle/Hall, then keep adding.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:23 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
After the Varly trade I'm beginning to wonder if we can get a first rounder from Columbus for him.
Lol, if we got a 2012 1st rounder from Columbus for Semin, I would literally faint.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:43 PM
txpd

reality check. this 28 goal ovechkin that the caps have right now will rub the ticket buyers raw and it won't take too long for that to happen. all this collapse of the franchise stuff if the capitals were to trade ovechkin is ridiculous.

understand that the caps would never trade the smiling, hart trophy winning, gonna get you a cup ovechkin of the past. trading that guy might collapse the fans base. if he continues down the current road where there's talk that is attitude has gone sour and there are no more smiles and no more hart trophies and no more talk about winning a cup, trading him will have marginal effect as long as the results on the ice prove it to be the right move.

There was a brief time where Jagr was the new hero for Caps fans and trading him was a relief.

I am not saying its going to happen. What I am certainly saying is that Ovechkin only goes if the situation is in a tailspin that requires it. That situation would also mitigate fan backlash against it. If Ov comes back to life, he would not be traded.

this much i'll say. we are a quarter of the way thru this season and jason chimera on pure effort has more goals than ovechkin while ov had not scored a single goal at home yet. he should be embarrassed.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:30 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
If we can get the equivalent of what we got for Carpenter, do it NOW.
Right but barring that they should hold on to Semin (or any key player for that matter) and wait for him to turn it around.

Now the Caps already made a ton of changes in the offseason and the team as assembled needs more time to come together. Chucking out trades of struggling players whenever there is a losing streak isn't a good solution at all at this point.

The Caps are still 4 or 5 games over .500 at the quarter point of the season despite Ovechkin being as frustrated as ever and Semin supremely suffering in addition to Green having missed a million games.

Patience is the best bet. Let the team gel.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:22 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not close. It starts with RNH + Eberle/Hall, then keep adding.
Taylor Hall, Ryan Whitney, Gagner/Paajarvi and 2012 1st for Ovechkin and Schultz?

Old
11-25-2011, 10:29 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Taylor Hall, Ryan Whitney, Gagner/Paajarvi and 2012 1st for Ovechkin and Schultz?
Why would you think that'd be any better?

It's Ovechkin, the face of the franchise. Take the other teams two best assets and start adding.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Not player related, but coach related. If the Caps fire Boudreau, and they're quite close from what I'm hearing because of various run ins with the Russian contingent, Washington might be looking at Dale Hunter as the next HC.

The Knights are grooming Dylan Hunter to be his replacement when the time comes as they look to keep the team within the familia, if I may.

This is just speculation based on conversation within the Knights family. I work for the St. Thomas Stars, who are a feeder team to the Knights. So take it FWIW.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ah yes. From what you're hearing. Yeah.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Ah yes. From what you're hearing. Yeah.
I've been around long enough to not BS things, believe what you want. But IF they fire Boudreau, then Hunter is probably the replacement. His Knights teams have been competitive since him and Mark bought the team, they had a new arena built in downtown London, and the Knights are one of the OHL's best at producing NHL ready talent.

Just look at Kane, Gagner, Nash, Perry, Bolland, Carlson, Kadri, Girardi, Kostitsyn, Rinaldo, Wideman, Methot, Mason, Quincey, Prust, all from the Hunter regime.

And there are probably more on the way, and the Knights are one of the only teams that collegiate prospects break commitments for. And he worked wonders with Carlson down in London when he had him, so there's familiarity there with him and Wideman.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Yeah, ok.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:17 AM
txpd

well...now we know where bob mckenzie gets his reliable information from..eh?
good lord.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:21 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
So take it FWIW.
i missed this part. done. its taken for what its worth.

2cents.

would caps fans be surprised that dale hunter has a future with the caps? no.
thats nothing new.

is boudreau in trouble because ovechkin might be dogging it? i doubt it

Old
11-25-2011, 11:21 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Right but barring that they should hold on to Semin (or any key player for that matter) and wait for him to turn it around.

Now the Caps already made a ton of changes in the offseason and the team as assembled needs more time to come together. Chucking out trades of struggling players whenever there is a losing streak isn't a good solution at all at this point.

The Caps are still 4 or 5 games over .500 at the quarter point of the season despite Ovechkin being as frustrated as ever and Semin supremely suffering in addition to Green having missed a million games.

Patience is the best bet. Let the team gel.
I really think the gel process is the key too. The benching of players is a start by the coaches in installing discipline. I keep having to remind myself this is late November, not February. As far as trading struggling players when not performing well, I don't recall GMGM doing many of those if any.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yup, I'm sure the Caps are looking at Hunter due to his familiarity with Wideman's game 7 years ago in Juniors. Makes a ton of sense.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yup, I'm sure the Caps are looking at Hunter due to his familiarity with Wideman's game 7 years ago in Juniors. Makes a ton of sense.

Old
11-25-2011, 01:56 PM
HTFN

Apparently Calgary's Bourque could be shown the door with the Comeau acquisition? Haven't people pretty much always wanted the Capitals to jump on him? Doesn't look like Calgary's interested in forwards, but a late 1st sounds like good value, maybe Schultz and a 3rd would get them thinking. Or Boston's 2nd.

Old
11-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Bananas

I want a Bourque. I just like saying the name Bourque.

Bourque. Bourque. Bourque. Bourque. Bourque.

Old
11-25-2011, 02:39 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Apparently Calgary's Bourque could be shown the door with the Comeau acquisition? Haven't people pretty much always wanted the Capitals to jump on him? Doesn't look like Calgary's interested in forwards, but a late 1st sounds like good value, maybe Schultz and a 3rd would get them thinking. Or Boston's 2nd.
really? bourque just signed a 6 year contract. if he is prone to get bounced off his roster spot over a guy claimed on waivers, why would mcphee want him?

Closed Thread