HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need a top 6 player

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 03:44 AM
silver cup

vCash: 500
We need a top 6 player

With so many decent prospects in our system, now might be the time to consider trading our first pick with one other player(you pick) to land a a good top 6 player with size. What do you think?

Old
11-01-2003, 03:47 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver cup
With so many decent prospects in our system, now might be the time to consider trading our first pick with one other player(you pick) to land a a good top 6 player with size. What do you think?
Seems the stanley cup has become a popular avatar.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:24 AM
Habs4ever

Not really Lock Out is coming Next year and it ain't

worth getting involved with big contract right now, We aren't gone win anything with one player, Best way is to build from within playoff this year is very unrealistic and fortunate if they make it, I say keep developing young guys until we become strong team then deal for those top six forwards.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:09 AM
Habber

There will be tons of UFA's this summer. No need to trade away a draft pick right now when we can probably get guys for nothing.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:49 AM
silver cup

I guess what I really wanted to say is that we need to get rid of some players this year and if we package them with our first, we might get something of value in return. Perreault or Audette might not get much but packaged with our first it might be able to get us something of value.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver cup
I guess what I really wanted to say is that we need to get rid of some players this year and if we package them with our first, we might get something of value in return. Perreault or Audette might not get much but packaged with our first it might be able to get us something of value.
Personally, I don't think we should give away our first round picks, at least not while Savard's still with the organization.

And besides, I don't think we need to get a top6 player: we got some decent guys already, and some darn good ones coming up soon. *If* Ribeiro can consistently play well, which I think he can, we got Koivu, Ribeiro, Zednik, Hossa, Ryder. That's already 5 out of the 6 top spots.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Lewis63

If we can keep our picks and our core and land a Top 6 forward or top 3 dman than BG is a magician!!!

We have to give to get...

Old
11-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
*If* Ribeiro can consistently play well, which I think he can, we got Koivu, Ribeiro, Zednik, Hossa, Ryder. That's already 5 out of the 6 top spots.
But these players (leave out Koivu) haven't been scoring. When did any of them get his last point? Ribeiro is stuck at 7 in 11 games and the others are nowhere in sight.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:25 AM
Canadienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
But these players (leave out Koivu) haven't been scoring. When did any of them get his last point? Ribeiro is stuck at 7 in 11 games and the others are nowhere in sight.
There's no guarantee that any guy we go out and get will score consistently either. Remember Czerkawski?

Old
11-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
The team as a whole has not been scoring the last few games... and anyways, I'm a patient guy; I don't want to make a decisive judgment after only 11 games. Regardless of points, Ribeiro, Hossa and Ryder have all been playing pretty well since the beginning of the season. The effort seems to be there, so the points shouldn't be too long in coming too.

As for Zednik, granted he's taking his sweet time to produce this season, but as I said: I'm patient. I'm wondering if he needs Koivu to lite a fire under his @##...

Old
11-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Habber

IMO, teams should only deal 1st rounders when they're serious contenders and making a run for the Cup. We are far from this point right now and trading a 1st is a step backwards at this point in time.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:37 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
IMO, teams should only deal 1st rounders when they're serious contenders and making a run for the Cup. We are far from this point right now and trading a 1st is a step backwards at this point in time.
I agree Habber. We should take the New Jersey or Ottawa approach and build a young drafted core and add free agents or trades when you get close. We have a really impressive group of picks...guys who could develop into all 4 lines. Let's not jump the gun when our NHL roster has a lot of room for improvement (a lot of fill-ins right now who are worth very little on the trade market).

Closed Thread