HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Package centered around Panthers 2012 1st round pick

Old
11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Package centered around Panthers 2012 1st round pick

Im thinking that if the Panthers are still in the top eight come the deadline, the Cats 1st rounder could be in play. The top line is currently scoring almost 48% of the teams goals, and even though Samuelsonn, Goc, and Upshall will be back in the coming weeks, maybe longer for Goc, they could still use another top six forward. Of course prospects like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Markstrom, Howden, and Bjugstad are off limits, but a package including their 1st rounder could bring them back some scoring help. Thoughts?

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Sarcastic
PosterOfTheYear2014

But they already used that draft pick.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

You mean the 2012 1st? Keep it!!

I'd keep it no matter what, I hate throwing away 1st. They are so valuable in these cap days, and with the 2012 being a strong draft. I don't wanna give it up for an early first round exit.

I seriously hope Tallon keeps it, way to risky. What if we miss the playoffs even after trading the 1st? Then what? I value 1st round picks really high, so I'd say keep it no matter what.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Beats By CoRD
Who really run this?

vCash: 50
Any interest in Rene Bourque?

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:42 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Why do they want to give up Hubredeau? They just got him!

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:43 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
You mean the 2012 1st? Keep it!!

I'd keep it no matter what, I hate throwing away 1st. They are so valuable in these cap days, and with the 2012 being a strong draft. I don't wanna give it up for an early first round exit.

I seriously hope Tallon keeps it, way to risky. What if we miss the playoffs even after trading the 1st? Then what? I value 1st round picks really high, so I'd say keep it no matter what.
I assume the OP is saying to trade the 1st for a player signed past this season.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Should the Panthers really be that concerned about making the playoffs THIS year? Shouldn't they hold onto their picks and try to build around Markstrom/Huberdeau/Kulikov/Gudbranson for the future?

Making the playoffs is great but it really isn't that great if you get the boot in the first round and then struggle to get back. The focus should be on building a team that can contend for a playoff spot for many years. The best way to do that is to keep a continuous stream of talent coming up to the NHL level.

It isn't like the team you have now is a one hit wonder. You've got Campbell, Jovanovski, Fleischmann, Kopecky, Upshall, and Bergenheim all locked up for awhile. Versteeg is just a RFA after this year and Weiss has one more year.
Let your talented youngsters get to the NHL level to help strengthen your roster.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:56 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Any interest in Rene Bourque?
If the Panthers magically make it to the ECF, it'd be fair. Too much for Borkman.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:56 PM
hoodstar

There is actually a lot of stanley cup experience on Florida. On top of that, Bergenheim, Samuelsson and Campbell are pretty clutch as well. I don't think Florida needs to give up their 1st for anything. Best case scenario for them is to squeak into the playoffs and cause some serious havoc.

Last edited by hoodstar: 11-24-2011 at 04:02 PM.
hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:13 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I assume the OP is saying to trade the 1st for a player signed past this season.
Of course, but still.. throwing away 1st is foolish in my opinion (unless you're surely a top-team).

Old
11-24-2011, 04:34 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Of course, but still.. throwing away 1st is foolish in my opinion (unless you're surely a top-team).
Not for a guy like Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter, etc.

Old
11-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Tell that to the Avs *epic fail*

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Alexander Baigle

I'd love Toronto to hoard some first round draft picks this year. Three or four could really help our team. I don't really know what Florida would want from our roster, we're much in the same boat.

Alexander Baigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:47 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Not for a guy like Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter, etc.
Well, if you think they're available, but I'm being a little more realistic.

Old
11-24-2011, 04:48 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Panthers have the prospects to make a deal for any available star that could be had for futures. I don't think the 1st needs to be involved.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

I hope they don't move it, no reason to move the pick now when you want to build around a team who will make the playoffs every year.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:49 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Well, if you think they're available, but I'm being a little more realistic.
I'm not sure, but realistically there will be a player available for a package built around a 1st. Like Penner last year

Old
11-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Bryanbryoil

Hemsky for your 1st + ?

11-25-2011, 05:47 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hemsky for your 1st + ?
An injury-prone UFA for our 1st +?

Old
11-25-2011, 06:04 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hemsky for your 1st + ?
Hemsky won't get you just the 1st

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:19 AM
SufferingCatFan

I respectfullydisagree with your premise that, in the event that the Panthers tank during the 2011-12 season, Tallon would consider trading the resulting high, number 1 draft choice. More likely that Tallon keeps that pick in a deep draft.

If the Panther's collapse, then it is more likely that Tallon will become very active at the TDL by continuing to trade vets on expiring contracts (i.e. Samuelson, Strum, Weaver, Clemmer) for picks and/or prospects.

Since we lack rich owners, the Panthers will likely remain close to the salary cap floor for the 2012-13 season. By trading Booth, we freed up $4.5 million. Most of which we will need to resign Garrison and Versteeg. Nonetheless, we can expect Trader Tallon to continue to make trades, particularly trading some of our depth propects, who are close to NHL ready, but stuck behind better players (i.e Comrie, Jenks, maybe Shore).

At least that is how I see it.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:47 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Im thinking that if the Panthers are still in the top eight come the deadline, the Cats 1st rounder could be in play. The top line is currently scoring almost 48% of the teams goals, and even though Samuelsonn, Goc, and Upshall will be back in the coming weeks, maybe longer for Goc, they could still use another top six forward. Of course prospects like Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Markstrom, Howden, and Bjugstad are off limits, but a package including their 1st rounder could bring them back some scoring help. Thoughts?
Not sure who could be agreed upon as to bodies.

How about Fl. 2012 1st
for
Rangers 2012 2nd, + 2012 5th + 2013 4th

You get prospects + still have a high pick this year, + NY moves up.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:41 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Not sure who could be agreed upon as to bodies.

How about Fl. 2012 1st
for
Rangers 2012 2nd, + 2012 5th + 2013 4th

You get prospects + still have a high pick this year, + NY moves up.
A trade where its just picks could happen at the draft. The premise of the OP was to make a move at the deadline to add a player.

Regardless, unless the Rangers crap the bed and the Panthers are a top 5 team in the entire league, the value doesnt match what a 1st rounder equates in most trades with just picks involved (generally a 1st goes for at least another 1st coming back or sometimes two 2nd rounders).

I'd like to see if we could get an upgrade using our 1st along with Santorelli and one of our wingers. A 1B/2A center to play behind Weiss and paired up with our plethora of wingers should give us the secondary scoring we need. Moving our 1st rounder now may be a risk to make the playoffs but we have soooo many prospects and many guys signed long term right now that the risk would be minimal (so long as Tallon doesnt keep trading our 1st we'll still have a strong pipeline of youngsters)

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:40 PM
SufferingCatFan

Not too long ago, the two of us were derided on the Panther board for suggesting that the Cats trade Booth and Santorelli for a center upgrade.

Do you remember the howls when I suggested trading Booth, Santorelli plus for Jordan Stoll?

I agree with you completely that we need a true number 2 center.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
A trade where its just picks could happen at the draft. The premise of the OP was to make a move at the deadline to add a player.

Regardless, unless the Rangers crap the bed and the Panthers are a top 5 team in the entire league, the value doesnt match what a 1st rounder equates in most trades with just picks involved (generally a 1st goes for at least another 1st coming back or sometimes two 2nd rounders).

I'd like to see if we could get an upgrade using our 1st along with Santorelli and one of our wingers. A 1B/2A center to play behind Weiss and paired up with our plethora of wingers should give us the secondary scoring we need. Moving our 1st rounder now may be a risk to make the playoffs but we have soooo many prospects and many guys signed long term right now that the risk would be minimal (so long as Tallon doesnt keep trading our 1st we'll still have a strong pipeline of youngsters)
Fair enough. But NORMALLY no team, especially in a ddep draft, is going to give up a lot just to advance a first a few selections. An exception would be if there was someone there the drafting team really wanted.

Although I respect your team, and the effort it makes showing a commitment to excellence, overall I generally like the potential of my guys better. While I have an open mind to a suggestion, would rather not do anything major as to players + see what premium there is for your pick.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote