HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Ethan Moreau [1 year, $600K]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2011, 05:07 PM
  #226
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
I was suggesting that the Kings pursue Wellwood over Moreau and was given a hint before the signing was official that the Kings were interested in Moreau, given that apparently he was well liked by a lot of people within the organization and some familiarity with players.

Oilers fans warned us of his tendency to take untimely and needless penalties. One would think as a veteran he would wise up but I guess that is one of the drawbacks of having an intense player in your lineup.

I understand what the Kings were thinking, they lost a lot of size and some grit along the corners and down low with the losses of Handzus, Simmonds and Ponikarovsky, but Moreau doesn't bring any other intangibles that the Kings needed at the time, for instance, some additional speed and a bit of a scoring touch to the bottom six, which is why I was suggesting the Kings go after Wellwood in the first place.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. It still doesn't excuse Moreau of his boneheaded play against Dallas. He made one strong play that led to Westgarth's first goal then followed that up with a costly mistake that cost the Kings a point.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 05:09 PM
  #227
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
No one takes as many dumb penalties as this guy does. At least from all the games I watch.

And how many players in the NHL have gone nearly 60 games without scoring a goal?

He just sucks, period. It was a terrible signing by Lombardi.
I just think of 4th line guys like Craig Adams from the Penguins, Paille from the Bruins and Adam Hall for the Bolts and think that Moreau is pretty much on par with them. Im not saying he hasnt taken dumb penalties but he is not as horrible as some have suggested.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 05:19 PM
  #228
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I was suggesting that the Kings pursue Wellwood over Moreau and was given a hint before the signing was official that the Kings were interested in Moreau, given that apparently he was well liked by a lot of people within the organization and some familiarity with players.

Oilers fans warned us of his tendency to take untimely and needless penalties. One would think as a veteran he would wise up but I guess that is one of the drawbacks of having an intense player in your lineup.

I understand what the Kings were thinking, they lost a lot of size and some grit along the corners and down low with the losses of Handzus, Simmonds and Ponikarovsky, but Moreau doesn't bring any other intangibles that the Kings needed at the time, for instance, some additional speed and a bit of a scoring touch to the bottom six, which is why I was suggesting the Kings go after Wellwood in the first place.

You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. It still doesn't excuse Moreau of his boneheaded play against Dallas. He made one strong play that led to Westgarth's first goal then followed that up with a costly mistake that cost the Kings a point.
I agree about Wellwood, but lets be honest...There is no way a team managed by Dean Lombardi and coached by Terry Murray would ever consider bringing in a guy like Wellwood over Moreau for bottom line duty. Wellwood is not a fit for Dean Lombardi hockey.

The Kings probably assumed they had enough scoring in the bottom line with Parse and Stoll, and they sadly assumed wrong because as usual they had to much faith in those two players.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:50 PM
  #229
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
i don't care whats going on at other teams.
But if we talk about 4th liners i have Drapers or McCarthys or Maltbys in mind.
Guys who go under the skin of opponents with super annoying speed and grit.
Sure... scoring 25 goals on top helps too.
For the billionth time, Draper, McCarty and Maltby were not 4th liners in Detroit. They were 3rd liners and McCarty even seen 2nd line time for stretches. What player has even scored 25 goals as a 4th liner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I agree about Wellwood, but lets be honest...There is no way a team managed by Dean Lombardi and coached by Terry Murray would ever consider bringing in a guy like Wellwood over Moreau for bottom line duty. Wellwood is not a fit for Dean Lombardi hockey.

The Kings probably assumed they had enough scoring in the bottom line with Parse and Stoll, and they sadly assumed wrong because as usual they had to much faith in those two players.
Hindsight is wonderful, but no one thought Stoll would only have one goal in 22 games, not even Kurrilino. Their faith with him can be understood.

Parse is another story.

And I'm still opposed to Wellwood. Him on the 3rd line in LA is different than his play in Winnipeg this year on a scoring line. He'd still score more than our current bottom six (who wouldn't) but I don't think he'd be a good fit.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:43 AM
  #230
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
And I'm still opposed to Wellwood. Him on the 3rd line in LA is different than his play in Winnipeg this year on a scoring line. He'd still score more than our current bottom six (who wouldn't) but I don't think he'd be a good fit.
Wellwood was a great fit as a third line forward on two very successful clubs over the past few seasons, San Jose and Vancouver. He's become a more complete forward and he even saw some ice time on San Jose's top line during the playoffs. I thought he stood out as one of their better players during the first round and he created a lot of scoring chances for his line.

Now had the Kings signed him, there is no way he'd have the 17 points that he has now with Winnipeg. He didn't put up big numbers as a checking line forward with Vancouver or San Jose either, but watching him play, it was noticeable that he had become more of a complete player.

This is why I wanted Kyle Wellwood on the Kings' third line:


The Kings needed a player who could control the puck on that third line. None of the bottom six forwards have the ability to make plays like this:


Wellwood's career has taken many dips and turns, but he's found his calling now. What he went through builds character after being chastised for being out of shape and being unwanted by many NHL clubs. He now has 17 points in 21 games and has silenced a lot of critics. I just would have been happy to see him chip in with the occasional goal and help create opportunities for Clifford and Stoll.

Here's a great look at Wellwood with some comments from a former teammate of his who is currently with the Kings:


Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 11-25-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
  #231
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Wellwood was a great fit as a third line forward on two very successful clubs over the past few seasons, San Jose and Vancouver. He's become a more complete forward and he even saw some ice time on San Jose's top line during the playoffs. I thought he stood out as one of their better players during the first round and he created a lot of scoring chances for his line.

Now had the Kings signed him, there is no way he'd have the 17 points that he has now with Winnipeg. He didn't put up big numbers as a checking line forward with Vancouver or San Jose either, but watching him play, it was noticeable that he had become more of a complete player.

This is why I wanted Kyle Wellwood on the Kings' third line:


The Kings needed a player who could control the puck on that third line. None of the bottom six forwards have the ability to make plays like this:


Wellwood's career has taken many dips and turns, but he's found his calling now. What he went through builds character after being chastised for being out of shape and being unwanted by many NHL clubs. He now has 17 points in 21 games and has silenced a lot of critics. I just would have been happy to see him chip in with the occasional goal and help create opportunities for Clifford and Stoll.

Here's a great look at Wellwood with some comments from a former teammate of his who is currently with the Kings:
You can show me all the youtube videos you want (you must have stocks/shares there I swear) but until I see the change with my own eyes, I'm not biting. Wellwood's done this before, especially offensively, then gone unwanted because of work ethic and attitude. Remember when he put up 42 points in 48 games and supposed to be Toronto's 2nd line centre of the future? There's a reason Toronto, Vancouver and San Jose have all walked away from him and he had to earn his way on to Winnipeg through a training camp invite. He's had a great 21 games, I'll concede that for sure, but if he keeps this up, I'll be surprised.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:58 AM
  #232
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 500
If Moreau is going to take bad penalties I would hope he would be doing it fighting or standing up for guys.

He has 0 fighting majors so far and 0 goals....His last penalty was a slash on his good friend Sheldon Souray.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
  #233
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
You can show me all the youtube videos you want (you must have stocks/shares there I swear) but until I see the change with my own eyes, I'm not biting. Wellwood's done this before, especially offensively, then gone unwanted because of work ethic and attitude. Remember when he put up 42 points in 48 games and supposed to be Toronto's 2nd line centre of the future? There's a reason Toronto, Vancouver and San Jose have all walked away from him and he had to earn his way on to Winnipeg through a training camp invite. He's had a great 21 games, I'll concede that for sure, but if he keeps this up, I'll be surprised.
Forget Toronto - Kyle Wellwood has been a thorn in our side for two consecutive postseasons, first with Vancouver and then with San Jose. That's all I need.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:30 PM
  #234
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Moreau is not a fighter nor is he a sandpaper type of player. He's more of a bodyguard out on the ice. Moreau will drop his gloves in defense of one of our players if he happens to be out on the ice. Otherwise, Clifford and Westy will do majority of the fighting.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 03:00 PM
  #235
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Moreau is not a fighter nor is he a sandpaper type of player. He's more of a bodyguard out on the ice. Moreau will drop his gloves in defense of one of our players if he happens to be out on the ice. Otherwise, Clifford and Westy will do majority of the fighting.
The play of guys like Moreau and Stoll tell me this team could get even younger and be better off. Who came up with the theory the 3rd and 4th lines need to be full of slow footed vets who are good in the locker room? I'd rather see the younger skilled players the Kings have given their shot. They all play the same system, if TM can only get crusty vets to play his system on the bottom 6 then he doesn't deserve to be head coach.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 04:00 PM
  #236
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I agree about Wellwood, but lets be honest...There is no way a team managed by Dean Lombardi and coached by Terry Murray would ever consider bringing in a guy like Wellwood over Moreau for bottom line duty. Wellwood is not a fit for Dean Lombardi hockey.

The Kings probably assumed they had enough scoring in the bottom line with Parse and Stoll, and they sadly assumed wrong because as usual they had to much faith in those two players.
And as much as Ziggy has a hard on for Wellwood and constantly brings it up.


He would be just as bad as Moreau is right now in this system if not worse. Again, there was a reason this guy was a 50 point player AND WAIVED BY SEVERAL TEAMS.


It's not just bad luck man.




but never mind Ziggy has a man crush on Wellwood and will sing that chorus until the end of days.



Even though Wellwood on this team would pretty much surmount to nothing based on the style of player completely contradicting the style of system. you can argue that the system should be different if you want, but for the love of god, stop bringin up Wellwood as if he would be the ****ing savior of this team Ziggy.


Seriously is the guy like your best friend?

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 05:01 PM
  #237
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The play of guys like Moreau and Stoll tell me this team could get even younger and be better off. Who came up with the theory the 3rd and 4th lines need to be full of slow footed vets who are good in the locker room? I'd rather see the younger skilled players the Kings have given their shot. They all play the same system, if TM can only get crusty vets to play his system on the bottom 6 then he doesn't deserve to be head coach.
You're not going to get much of an argument from me. That's why I've been advocating insertion of Lokti as our 3C for the past month or so.

We lose some size and grit but I wouldn't mind seeing this as our 3rd and 4th line, especially against teams like the wings.

Penner-Lokti-Stoll
Richie-Fraser-Lewis

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:02 PM
  #238
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
You're not going to get much of an argument from me. That's why I've been advocating insertion of Lokti as our 3C for the past month or so.

We lose some size and grit but I wouldn't mind seeing this as our 3rd and 4th line, especially against teams like the wings.

Penner-Lokti-Stoll
Richie-Fraser-Lewis
I'd do this, but put Cliffy in for Richie. I think Cliff's coming around. Richardson's shown nothing.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:53 AM
  #239
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,560
vCash: 500
Not that I'm suggesting the Kings shouldn't have let him go, but let's observe how Alexei Ponikarovsky is doing thus far with the Carolina Hurricanes.

25 GP-6 G-9 PTS-15:14 TOI

His 9 points matches the aggregate of the following group of players:
Dustin Penner
Brad Richardson
Trevor Lewis
Ethan Moreau
Trent Hunter

Yes, I know, hindsight is a b!tch, but let that stat just sink in for a bit. Is it the players or is it the system in place, or both?

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
  #240
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not that I'm suggesting the Kings shouldn't have let him go, but let's observe how Alexei Ponikarovsky is doing thus far with the Carolina Hurricanes.

25 GP-6 G-9 PTS-15:14 TOI

Yes, I know, hindsight is a b!tch, but let that stat just sink in for a bit. Is it the players or is it the system in place, or both?
We already know that 5 goals is all Murray could get out of him.

If I was a UFA forward, I would stay away from LA and Terry Murray. UFA defensemen have done much better, but the Kings don't need anymore defensemen.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.