HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Gm #22 Kings @ Stars, 11/23/11 - POST GAME Lose in OT!, THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-25-2011, 09:27 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
But if we had Smyth and his contract, we wouldn't have been able to afford Gagne.
We could've dumped Penner.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
We could've dumped Penner.
We could have but doubt it. I think DL would have given Penner an opportunity to prove himself after a lackluster play last year and a good dedicated offseason workout.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
We could have but doubt it. I think DL would have given Penner an opportunity to prove himself after a lackluster play last year and a good dedicated offseason workout.
Indeed. I'm not upset about. You can't just dump a guy you gave up prime assets to acquire.

But the fact remains, we traded away a guy who was a proven 20 goal scorer under TM for nothing. I sure wouldn't mind having him on the 2nd line right now.

If Penner remains irrelevant, then we basically traded away Cammalleri, Quincey, a 1st Rounder and a 5th Rounder for nothing.

Old
11-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not trying to troll here, and believe me, I know what its like all too well to have players request trades out of my town, but are you guys surprised at all that Smyth is tied with Kopitar in pts? Did you think he was done? He didnt seem to get a lot of love over here, which I can understand due to him requesting a trade, but was he not well liked before that as well?
i expected another solid 30 goal 60 point year from him. The problem he has is that he gets them all in the first 2/3rds of the season, then is completely useless to end the year and in playoffs because he is just simply tired

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
i expected another solid 30 goal 60 point year from him. The problem he has is that he gets them all in the first 2/3rds of the season, then is completely useless to end the year and in playoffs because he is just simply tired
He did have 2 goals and 5 points in 6 games. But, I agree that he was tired and just very bad when it came to playing defense. I can't say I'm happy for Smyth. The fact that he said he had an "alright time" playing here really speaks how selfish he was.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Or he just gets worn down by Murray hockey? I guess we wil find out.

He never came close to being a PPG player through 20 games in LA. Even when he was part of the "best line in hockey" a couple of years ago.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:07 PM
damacles1156

It's really starting to piss me off that Bud Holloway left for Europe. Manchester pretty much plays the Exact same system.

Bud would have been a nice addition to the Bottom Six. Especially with the way they are playing.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Other than Richards, what player has come into this system since TM has been the coach and put up as good or better numbers than he did on other teams? Anyone?

The list of the players performing better after leaving seems extraordinarily long by comparison...
I think largely this speaks to the team not being able to acquire many players that are in the prime of their career. Other than Stoll, Richards, and Williams, I'm at a loss. Stoll's 68 point season was an obvious fluke and until this season he had replicated his Edmonton production. Williams was fairly close to a nice Carolina type season, but he got hurt, so I'd say he's a no. Richards will probably be up there again.

They have traded away guys too soon and that's obvious as well. Smyth, I don't think I'd put in that category. If he played anything like he did last season we would all be depressed. But producing again isn't surprising given that playing in LA has done that to people.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:50 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
He was clearly one of our best forwards in the playoffs.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Other than Richards, what player has come into this system since TM has been the coach and put up as good or better numbers than he did on other teams? Anyone?

The list of the players performing better after leaving seems extraordinarily long by
comparison...

What players have? On a consistent basis. I'm actually curious.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 02:30 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Moulson and Purcell, really are the only one's. Everyone knows the type of production Cammy puts up yearly.

Boyle is back to being a non productive player; cause he is trolling around the bottom parings in NY again.

Poni has reached his Goal total of last year. But he has stunk most of the 20+ games. Also he is on the pp.

Lubo was going to produce regardless, but he is the walking wounded.

Sooooo I guess it's how you want to look at it.

Purcell last Seven games, 0G 0A 0P -3 He needs to pick it up.

Last edited by damacles1156: 11-26-2011 at 02:45 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 02:58 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Brandon Segal and Jeff Halpern?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 08:01 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Here's an example of the type of impact Penner can have: http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/8/26...-in-support-of
Fantastic read, thanks for that.

Didn't we use Penner as a screener on the PP in the beginning of the season?

This TM system has to go it looks like that there are sooo many things which easily can go wrong and it is sooo vulnerable and it is soooo hard for all five guys to get it soooo exactly right. It is sooo darm complicated why would we else fail on it soooo many times.

I'm not pretending I'm a better coach but it is hard to not see the pattern and to rely on lucky bounces for winning games that is not a great tactic in my book. Create opportunities is what TM preaches the team to do...from where???

Look at the players we got and tell me this team can't score goals. With the players we got I would love to see them play offense more like Buffalo does. There is no hesitation when they enter the zone.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Penner needs to develop more chemistry with his center. He is a sniper more than anything and he finds himself in decent sniping locations and still has a good shot, the problem is that he was used to playing with Hemsky in an offensive system and Hemsky was able to find him everywhere. Kopitar and Richards can do that for him, but it is a two way street. He needs to work with his center more and put more effort on the ice to get into position and make plays happen. If he is open, they will get him the puck, and it is up to him to make his shot, but Penner definitely has the tools to succeed on this team, and he isn't as abysmal of a player that we think him to be. He can still put it together, hopefully he gets back soon.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Penner needs to develop more chemistry with his center. He is a sniper more than anything and he finds himself in decent sniping locations and still has a good shot, the problem is that he was used to playing with Hemsky in an offensive system and Hemsky was able to find him everywhere. Kopitar and Richards can do that for him, but it is a two way street. He needs to work with his center more and put more effort on the ice to get into position and make plays happen. If he is open, they will get him the puck, and it is up to him to make his shot, but Penner definitely has the tools to succeed on this team, and he isn't as abysmal of a player that we think him to be. He can still put it together, hopefully he gets back soon.
I was liking his game better before his injury. He was starting to get open at the top of the slot and the top of the circles. He has a heavy, accurate wrist shot and can score from those areas.

Despite his size I don't ever think he will be banging in goals in the blue paint.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote