HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

In retrospect, who should we have drafted...

Old
11-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Put me in the Carlson corner.

DZ has his moments, but plays like garbage most of the time.
MDZ is way too indecisive especially on the powerplay where he never seems to shoot the puck. John Carlson on the other hand runs the point like he's been in the league for 10 years. That was an absolute bomb he scored on yesterday.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
MDZ is way too indecisive especially on the powerplay where he never seems to shoot the puck. John Carlson on the other hand runs the point like he's been in the league for 10 years. That was an absolute bomb he scored on yesterday.
Carlson doesnt usually run the point, thats Greens spot with AO on his other side.

his shot wasnt from the point either, it was just above the circles in the center of the ice, and i believe it was ona broken play too, puck just found him, but i could be wrong.

but it was a bomb, no doubts at all there. the kid can shoot the hell outta the puck.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
i know im not alone on this but im truly really happy we have MDZ on our team and we have held on to him, (who knows what gets brought up in talks) its pretty obvious he displayed some very high playmaking abilities within the first 3 months of the nhl as a 19 year old. when he hits his ceiling and reaches his full potential. we are gonna have one hell of a defenseman. out of all our young guys the most id try to keep through hell and fire would be MDZ,McD,Stepan and Chris Kreider.
Got to agree with you on who I'd try to keep but I'm not sold on MDZ as of yet. I'll admit he has great potential but he's way too tentative and indecisive. It's still early though.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:58 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I've been a big supporter of MDZ since day one, and as people have noticed, my confidence has never wavered in him. Right now he is doing a great job becoming a two-way defender, gaining confidence in himself, and instilling confidence in his coach.

We'll start seeing him slowly bring that offense back to his game, as well as his minutes staying constant around 22-24 a night. Torts needs an offensive horse on the back end and MDZ / McDonagh will be those guys for this team. MDZ WILL be a 45-50 point defenseman in this league who plays a reliable defensive game with some snarl.

I think Tortorella is going to try his best to mold McDonagh into Dan Boyle, very similar players in style. Torts did a lot for Boyle, I really hope he is here long enough to do the same for McDonagh.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

In retrospect we should have drafted every great player and not drafted every crappy player.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

As of right now, as is...I would go with Del Zotto.

I remember this draft well. In a mock I had Del Zotto going to the Hawks much earlier in the 1st round, thining maybe 10 or something. At the time I was praying for one of the three to fall. Actually I was hping the Rangers could move another pick or spare part to move up to draft Teubert. I though he was the second coming of Chris Pronger.

Guess Gordie did ok in this one so far...

1) Colton Teubert <--I was totally on the "we need the big bruising western canadian defenseman" bandwagon. Very happy they drafted McIlrath
2) Mattias Tedenby
3) John Carlson

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Synergy27

I tend to only complain or have a hard time letting go of picks that I thought were no-brainers at the time. Del Zotto over Carlson isn't one of them, so I don't think about this one too often.

I didn't realize the points gap was so close between these two, but if we're being honest with ourselves, Carlson is just a better player than MDZ right now and likely will remain so for the rest of his career.

I personally wanted Tedenby at that spot, as I still believed in Sanguinetti in '08.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 03:20 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Got to agree with you on who I'd try to keep but I'm not sold on MDZ as of yet. I'll admit he has great potential but he's way too tentative and indecisive. It's still early though.
well thats expected at just 21 years old in really his 2nd full season. i think hes developing well after taking like 3 steps back last year i feel he caught up or is right about where he should be with his development. but your right his mentality needs to change a bit about how the thinks about offense/defense i think.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Let's judge the 2008 NHL draft in 2011, and call it a mistake when said player is in NHL. For a third year.

I have so many problems with this thread its unbelievable.

For starters how you can either judge players careers fairly when it is at the very very beginning. For all you know, Carlson ends up sucking for his career. or they become HHOF'ers.

Threads like these are so stupid, and are just nitpicking.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote