HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Lemieuxfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
nvm

Last edited by Lemieuxfan: 10-27-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old
11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
PTWarrior66*

Who's a fan of dogfish

Old
11-09-2011, 01:35 AM
hiddenvariable

who's NOT a fan of dogfish head?

i mean, i've had an incredible amount of beers of amazingly varying styles and qualities, and after all that, 90 minute is still one of my absolute favorites. one of my 10 island beers, if you will.

Old
11-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I got a pack of Founders Breakfast Stout and Backwoods *******. Can't wait to try them. But tonight I'm heading to a bar with Poe Daddy Porter on tap from from the Elk Creek. That stuff is addicting.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:13 AM
backdoorpass

i know bunch of guys going down to game tomor for ottawa, wheres a couple spots they should look to go out after

Old
11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Mr. T

Any good beer with Thanksgiving?

I got a six pack of Green Lakes Organic Ale and a case of Session Fest from Full Sail.

I've had almost everything Deschutes brews except for the Organic Ale. A rep from Deschutes was passing out free samples at Whole Foods last week and hooked me up. It's a quality beer.

The Session Fest was pretty good too. It's a Czech-style lager that is equally as tasty as the other Session beers.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Any good beer with Thanksgiving?

I got a six pack of Green Lakes Organic Ale and a case of Session Fest from Full Sail.

I've had almost everything Deschutes brews except for the Organic Ale. A rep from Deschutes was passing out free samples at Whole Foods last week and hooked me up. It's a quality beer.

The Session Fest was pretty good too. It's a Czech-style lager that is equally as tasty as the other Session beers.

I love the Session beers. Some of the best quality beers for the price.

Old
12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenvariable View Post
who's NOT a fan of dogfish head?

i mean, i've had an incredible amount of beers of amazingly varying styles and qualities, and after all that, 90 minute is still one of my absolute favorites. one of my 10 island beers, if you will.
Should have posted this yesterday, but Bocktown had Dogfish 120 on tap last night. $10 a pop for a 12 oz glass and you were limited to one (not like you need a second one).

120 is a once a year beer for me. I've drifted away from IPAs and moved on to Belgians as my favorite beer, but I still like a good IPA from time to time. I forgot how overbearing the 120 is. Even 12 oz was too much for me. Took me over almost an hour to drink it.

Old
12-10-2011, 11:02 AM
johnniewalker

Anyone ever try any of the Stone Vertical Epic series? I was completely unaware that the series existed. I was in Giant Eagle the other night looking through the bombers and they had one called "11.11.11" which is apparently the theme. Each beer is a big, high-alcohol beer from a one-off recipe that they do a small batch of every time a year, month and day has passed since 02/02/02. The idea is that you open it on the next bottling date and drink it.

As I cannot wait over a year to try something and see if I like it, I drank one already. The 11.11.11 was an Anaheim chile infused ale. Very interesting. It had a good flavor, and very strong chile flavor. It was pretty good if you like chiles and would like to try them in a beer.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:24 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
Anyone ever try any of the Stone Vertical Epic series? I was completely unaware that the series existed. I was in Giant Eagle the other night looking through the bombers and they had one called "11.11.11" which is apparently the theme. Each beer is a big, high-alcohol beer from a one-off recipe that they do a small batch of every time a year, month and day has passed since 02/02/02. The idea is that you open it on the next bottling date and drink it.

As I cannot wait over a year to try something and see if I like it, I drank one already. The 11.11.11 was an Anaheim chile infused ale. Very interesting. It had a good flavor, and very strong chile flavor. It was pretty good if you like chiles and would like to try them in a beer.
I've had most of the series since 07, with 09 being my favorite. Couldn't put my finger on what exactly the 09 was, but it had a belgian style feel to it.

This year's is a chile theme? Not my style, but I might know somebody who would be into this. Just tell me it's better than that swill that Cave Creek pumps out that has the chili in the bottle.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:51 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

update: Smokin' Joes in the Southside has the 11.11.11, or at least they had it Tuesday night.

I didn't do a full pint, just a sample. Not bad, but not really a go-to beer for me. It definitely has Anaheim Chile in it, but it tasted more peppery than anything else. I know that might not make sense, but it's like there was pepper flavor followed by pepper flavor with no hints or traces of anything else. It wasn't terrible by any means, and it definite wasn't as awful as that Cave Creek crap.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:00 PM
cassius

If you go to New Amsterdam in Lawrenceville anytime soon.... avoid the Magic Hat #9.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
If you go to New Amsterdam in Lawrenceville anytime soon.... avoid the Magic Hat #9.
I actually like Magic Hat #9 for what it is. If I'm in the mood for something light with a hint of fruit (without drinking something like a cider or lambic) it does the trick. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it, but I don't mind it from time to time.

Last edited by Shady Machine: 12-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
skunked, or didn't like the flavor?

Old
12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Shady Machine

If you ever get the chance, I'd recommend trying Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It has an obsessive following in Cleveland (since it's made here) but doesn't seem to get much respect elsewhere. Solid beer for the Festivus season.

Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale (out of Akron) is also a great offering.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
So I've only been here since September. I'm taking this girl I've been seeing to PPG Place for skating tomorrow night. Anything else interesting to do out that way? I know there's the big plaza surrounding it with things but anything else?

Old
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I actually like Magic Hat #9 for what it is. If I'm in the mood for something light with a hint of fruit (without drinking something like a cider or lambic) it does the trick. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it, but I don't mind it from time to time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
skunked, or didn't like the flavor?
skunked for sure

Old
12-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Duck Paddy

People 21-30 yrs of age....what are your new years plans in pittsburgh? I'm coming home and looking for something pretty hopping. Thinking club passes or something.....

Old
12-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Mr. T

Bitter Orange Cream Ale and the Abyss with lunch today. Glad I didn't have to work afterward!

I have Ninkasi Sleigh'r and some Miskatonic Dark Rye for later.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Mr. T

Hair of the Dog Adam and Hotd Fred plus Midnight Sun CoHoHo for today.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:14 PM
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows

Hey Big, where do you rate Big Sky among brewers in Montana?

I've always liked their Moose Drool Brown Ale, so I picked up a 12-pack sampler this week with Moose Drool, Trout Slayer (Wheat), Slow Elk (Oatmeal Stout), and Big Sky IPA.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Hey Big, where do you rate Big Sky among brewers in Montana?

I've always liked their Moose Drool Brown Ale, so I picked up a 12-pack sampler this week with Moose Drool, Trout Slayer (Wheat), Slow Elk (Oatmeal Stout), and Big Sky IPA.
Big Sky is the 'big' Montana brewery...their seasonals leave something to desire, but their standards are all pretty solid, especially Moose Drool. There are a couple other beers I'd rank above the Big Sky brews individually, but as a brewery they're probably tops. I'm also a huge fan of Bayern, but they're the opposite in the sense that they have amazing seasonals but their standards are the definition of average.

If I had to rank specific Montanan beers...
1. Bayern Doppelbock (mid-October-February seasonal)
2. Harvest Moon Pig's Ass Porter
3. Big Sky Moose Drool
4. Bayern Maibock (April-May seasonal)
5. Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter (Limited Edition that is starting to become a brief January seasonal)

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-08-2012, 04:49 AM
DJ Spinoza

Please post if Nugget Nectar sightings...should be out soon.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:22 PM
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows

Having one of the Slow Elk oatmeal stouts. Not as thick/creamy as I expected. Still, pretty decent, good malt flavor, very sessionable stout.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Mr. T

Midnight Sun Monk's Mistress and Ninkasi Unconventionale to help me erase this crap game from my mind.

Closed Thread